• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Help How to get started with bbcoding, making character sheets, formats, and interest checks?

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So in the view days I’ve been looking around this site, I found myself absolutely amazed by all these beautiful codes and layouts. Enough to inspire me to attempt to make my own codes. Mainly for character sheets, reply formats, and interest checks. Cause for one I have like over 50 OCs, a crap ton I know. And I want to transfer some of my finished ones onto this site for safekeeping in like fancy ass character sheets. I mean I know that aesthetic shouldn’t matter much, but for me I do like making things visually pleasing. Plus, the fact that there is so much possibilites on what you can make, makes the idea of learning fun and intriguing for me at least.

Cause on Amino, I usually store my characters in wikis, which are fine and all, but they aren’t as interactive or fun as code. Plus, I’ve been thinking of migrating off Amino, but I still want to store my characters somehow. Which I found I can do, within the private workshop option. I would easily be able to store my characters in their fancy sheets . And having those premade would make it so easy to share when I sign up for an RP or someone wants to view my character. And also, I think for me it would make a good backup. If I ever leave Amino, to still have my characters somewhere for me to view.

Besides character sheets, I like the idea of making interest check codes, and like format for replies. Because I don’t know about any of you guys, but I just love to format my posts in a certain way every single time. So to have like a code that can constantly be reused for like RP replies would be so nice. Even on Amino, I have these headers I always use per character. So it would be nice, if I could do something on here like that, where instead of headers, I would have some mobile friendly codes. Where I can just paste or type my replies in. I know aesthetic doesn’t matter much. But I just like being aesthetic, so leave me be.

Anywho, that aside. I want to ask, what programs and resources do you guys use to make your designs. How long does it take to make them? And where do you get your inspiration from? I am veey eager to learn and get started. So if anyone has any tips, advice, and tricks please feel free to share.

So for formatted replies, once you make the code, you can actually store them in post macros. You can save them here: https://www.rpnation.com/account/macros/active/. And in any reply box, you can click on the icon and select your macro, and it'll copy paste the macro into the box.

As for resources to use when coding, I always recommend these:
Tutorial - RpNation - BBcode Guide
Resource - BBCode Center Directory & Information

When you get into higher level stuff like divs and CSS, I recommend these:
Tutorial - RpNation - BBCode+ Guide
Tutorial - A Beginner's Guide To Classes
CSS reference
Tutorial - ☂ snippets

Program-wise, it depends on your workflow. Some people I know use stuff like Photoshop to help with the design process, I use text-editors like Visual Studio Code when I do complex codes, and most people just type straight into RPN (though you should always do this in your private workshop).

As for inspiration, I tend to get mine from stuff I see online, movies, tv shows, etc.

Ah BIG TIP, turn off RTE. Click on the icon to prevent rich text from affecting your code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back