How to Find Your RP Stuff Without the Search Bar

Toogee

Little Toe of Justice
If you had a RP with many tabs, you'll find each tab is now its own thread. The problem with this is that if there weren't any recent replies, those tabs could be buried under pages of other extra pages. As of this writing, the Search function does not work. I hear much of the functionality will be up and running in the coming weeks. In the meantime, if you're trying to gather pages of background, rules, character sheets to save on your computer or to transfer to a new system, here's what I had to do.

1. You're going to need to know either the date of the latest reply to your topic/tab or the date the topic/tab was posted. The former is preferable, as the topics are organized by the dates of the latest replies.

2. Above the list of topics, you'll find page numbers. Next to the ">>" button, you'll find a label that says "Page __ of __". Click it to bring up a menu, as seen in the picture below:

search%20tutorial_zpserik4f2n.png

3. It's time to play a guessing game. Guess a page for your desired date. If it's something posted within the past week, it should be within the first 10 pages, if not the first 5. If you're looking for something from 2015, I would go to page 100.

4. Once on the page, look to the right if the page. You'll see the last posted replies along with dates. If you're too far, repeat step 2 and 3. For example, when on page 100, I found myself too far in the past. I went back 50 pages (so page 50). That was too recent, so I went to page 75. 

5. Once you reached the desired date, press ctrl + f on your keyboard and search for a keyword from your topic title. If you are on the correct page, that word should be highlighted. It's best to choose a word that's not commonly used to make the search easier. For example, If you have a Fantasy RP called "Ultimate Dragon Chicken", it would be best to search for "chicken", as a lot of fantasy RPs are going to have "dragon" in the title.

6. If you only know the topic start date, Find the page where that date occurs. If it's not on that page, go to the previous page and repeat step 5. It's a tedious process, but you'll eventually get there.

NOTE: This is by no means ideal. My hope is that this tutorial will become obsolete sooner rather than later. It serves as a quick fix for those who want to get their RPs together right now. If you have a better way, by all means, feel free to post it here :).

View full tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back