How is Cyberpunk 2020?

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
<p>

So I run a <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/aegis-training-facility-108.193575/" rel="">superhero RP</a> with a haphazardly created homebrew stat system. It was never intended to support combat, only to give an approximate gauge of how powerful the player characters are and to curb power-playing. Now that the story has proceeded a bit, we're getting into complex territory such as superpowers versus guns, characters with cybernetics, and possible steriod/supersoldier serum usage. My little piece of homebrew shit stew is simply not going to work for much longer. I had eyed Cyberpunk 2020 in the past when I was working on <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/glitch-exe-%E2%96%BA%E2%96%BA%E2%96%BA-open-accepting-cyberpunk.86067/" rel="">Glitch</a>, due to the fact that it had stats for weapons and cybernetics. I'm interested in replacing my stat system with its, or a similar dice based system that could also be used for periodic combat. My questions are: </p>

<ul><li>What are your experiences with Cyberpunk 2020 (and similar systems) and its character creation, if any? </li>

<li>Do you think it would make a reasonably effective replacement system for my character metrics? </li>

<li>Are there any other systems you think I should check out? Preferably ones designed with a futuristic urban setting in mind. </li>

</ul><p>

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
welian said:
  • What are your experiences with Cyberpunk 2020 (and similar systems) and its character creation, if any?

• Do you think it would make a reasonably effective replacement system for my character metrics?

• Are there any other systems you think I should check out? Preferably ones designed with a futuristic urban setting in mind.
1. Talking about my experiences with similar systems will take a looooong time. For now, C2020 had one of the most innovative character creation systems out there, at release - it was called Lifepath, and emphasized realistic characters whose background informed their stats. I think better examples exist today, but chargen isn't the most punishing thing. I don't like the curve on the core mechanic, but it's certainly functional. Bear in mind, however, that the combat system is brutal. C2020 was a very dark game, and pages of the combat section are given over to debunking Hollywood violence to explain the very horrible ways a human can die.

Cyberpunk 2020's cybernetics book Chrome is still one of the best RPG books on the topic today.

2. Maybe? I need to have a longer look at your current metrics. I can then suggest other potential options.

3. Mutants & Masterminds may be worth a look, although I'll admit I'm not a huge fan. I have a hard time making suggestions when both cybernetics and traditional superheroes are involved. Hrm. Shadowrun's most recent edition blends magic, monks, and cybernetics pretty well so give it a look. I am very tempted to offer to tailor the Dismal Streets Crucible variant for you because I know it well and how it can do supers and cybernetics with a little reskin.

Well if you're going to go to that trouble you may as well join the RP. Just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes a special breed to handle my brand of chaos.

@Grey I'll keep looking into 2020, @Teh Frixz is one of my co-GMs and has been pushing a pretty brutal villain which we can tell you all about. A brutal combat system is not a bad thing for Aegis, although if it's exceptionally crunchy I may need help from @DJ MagicHat to cobble together a spreadsheet or script that can automate some things for the players.

I'm also interested in hearing from @Swoob and @Suzuki Mine, my other co-GMs, as well as @Bag o Fruit who is in the RP and I've talked to about combat systems before.

hmmm, c2020 sounds good—especially lifepath or something like it—but, to be honest, I don't think a visceral combat system would be good for Aegis as people have already complained/exclaimed that the roleplay was taking a darker turn than expected. While that's a-okay with most of us, giving it a brutal combat system as we dive into an arc of very frequent combat would force the roleplay to be dark overall and may deter some players as it is not what they signed up for

Swoob said:
hmmm, c2020 sounds good—especially lifepath or something like it—but, to be honest, I don't think a visceral combat system would be good for Aegis as people have already complained/exclaimed that the roleplay was taking a darker turn than expected. While that's a-okay with most of us, giving it a brutal combat system as we dive into an arc of very frequent combat would force the roleplay to be dark overall and may deter some players as it is not what they signed up for
I agree with this, basically. :P

On closer inspection, Weli, c2020's core mechanic won't map so well. The attributes aren't very different from the ones you use, but the system makes heavy use of character skills. You'd essentially have to add a load of stuff - although a lot of it would probably just carry over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back