Other Home Remedies?

call me rae

Closing this account
So got a nasty cold thanks to my allergies kicking off ( ah Spring, the season of incessant sneezing ).

And I've been taking cold meds but I just can't seem to shake my sore throat. So I've been trying out a few home remedies recommended by relatives.

Gargling salt water works the best but it tastes nasty.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone out there in RP Land had any home remedies they'd like to share?

Not just for colds but general ailments would be nice.

Just to be clear I am not in anyway insinuating that home remedies take the place of actual medication or professional care. If you have a severe or chronic ailment you should probably consult a professional.

This thread is more or less for home remedies to be used in conjunction with actual medication and is purely for the satisfaction of my own curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an aunt who is into using essential oils for everything. I have several reoccurring conditions, so she gives me essential oils instead of a more traditional gift for birthdays and such. I was skeptical at first, but they do actually seem to help. If I so much as cough around my aunt, she pulls out an essential oil or some other Young Living product. There are a lot of medications I can't take due to the reactions I have to them, so I'm grateful for my aunt's suggestions.

Spoonful of honey and cinnamon, swallow it. Tasted better than salt water to me... quenches the itch a little.

Salty, That helps like crazy

Orange juice helps a little, the stuff with pulp

Honestly, I find taking as much Vitamin C as possible (like the tablet kind) pretty much halves the time I'm sick for. Nobody has ever had illness from taking too much vitamin C, so I'll usually take around 1000mg a day to kick a cold/flu in half.

Other than that, warmth soothes a sore throat. Porridge, honey, tea, hot coco, coffee...whatever floats your boat. Soup is also awesome when you're sick, lots of vitamins and good for a bad throat.

readingraebow said:
Gargling salt water works the best but it tastes nasty.
You know what they say? The nastier the remedy taste the more effective it is!

That aside, If I get a stuffy nosed I usually use a bowl of hot water to try to breath in the stream. I'm unsure why, but that seem to remedy my nose related ailment.

Sore Throat- Eat Marshmallows and drink hot tea with lemon.

Muscle Pain-Eptom Salt

Headache-spearmint essential oil lightly dabbed under nose.

HOOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEEY!

ITS THE GREAAAAAAAATEST FOR SORE THROATS!

BIue said:
Honestly, I find taking as much Vitamin C as possible (like the tablet kind) pretty much halves the time I'm sick for. Nobody has ever had illness from taking too much vitamin C, so I'll usually take around 1000mg a day to kick a cold/flu in half.
Other than that, warmth soothes a sore throat. Porridge, honey, tea, hot coco, coffee...whatever floats your boat. Soup is also awesome when you're sick, lots of vitamins and good for a bad throat.
Actually, you can get Diarrhea and Nausea from megadoses of Vitamin C.

giphy.gif

For the cold, honey and lemon stirred into hot water. Hot ribena for soothing a sore throat. For mental and emotional issues try Bach flower remedies, I use them all the time. For period pain, massage Melissa essential oil into the sore area and apply a heat pad x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back