Heroic Exalted

Andrew02 said:
White Wolf, as far as I know, has two ways of handling plot holes:
1) The Retcon (which seems fairly rare). We saw this when two Deathlords who supposedly ruled the West were revealed to be one and the same.
Buh? According to Wikipedia.org retcon is "the act of changing previously established details of a fictional setting, often without providing an explanation for the changes within the context of that setting." The Deathlord thing you mention above might be concidered a retcon (though I see it more as a necessary clarification of a setting element). However, Heroic Exalted are presented as a possible reaction by Autocthon when he reawakens to the fact the Celestial Bureaucracy, and by extention the Incarna, have allowed Creation to go to crap. This of course is part of an optional scenario provided in the Autocthonians book. So, explain to me gain how this is retcon?

wan't the Silver Prince/ BAbDW just an editing error that made it into canon?

His name was Silver Prince in a previous rendition of the game, but later changed to BAbDW.  But Silver Prince acidently made it into the book, forcing them to back peddel and say hey can have multiple titles.

Spook said:
wan't the Silver Prince/ BAbDW just an editing error that made it into canon?
It was originally two different Deathlords they made into one I thought.  Given how shitty their consistency attempts are, though, who really knows?

For the record, I am under the same impression as Joseph about the two Deathlords. I was under the impression the Exalted Wiki had a writer quote to that effect, but I cannot find it.

Karasu said:
Buh? According to Wikipedia.org retcon is "the act of changing previously established details of a fictional setting, often without providing an explanation for the changes within the context of that setting."
Explain to me why I should be bound by this definition. Is this one of those "netiquette" things? It seems quite bizarre that I should have something like this thrown in my face. I could understand if I were employing a real word or term in an incorrect or non-standard fashion . . . but not this. Not employing some term created to describe the resolution of things not making sense in comics, video games, etc.

Karasu said:
So, explain to me gain how this is retcon?
I do not know. Explain to me why you believe I claimed the existence of the Heroic Exalted to be a retcon. It seems more likely you have grossly misunderstood what I was responding to within the material put forward in the thread.

Andrew02 said:
For the record, I am under the same impression as Joseph about the two Deathlords. I was under the impression the Exalted Wiki had a writer quote to that effect, but I cannot find it.
I was looking for the same thing. but for the opposite side.  I swear I saw it on the wiki before.....

Spook said:
I was looking for the same thing. but for the opposite side.  I swear I saw it on the wiki before.....
It may have been lost when they switched from lensmen.net to exalted.xi.co.nz. I've noticed some of the content I recall being there is absent. Mostly it was charms from presumably inactive users, but who knows?

If it was only old wiki, and not in the new on, you can in theory plug in the old location 'tag' into the wiki tag and see if it works.

Andrew02 said:
I . . . don't remember the tag . . .  :cry:
Than you're in trouble... I would sugges using google to see if you can trawl for what you want.

well there's this

http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/wiki.pl?ac ... AndRetcons

The Exalted core rulebook states on page 68 that the Skullstone Archipelago is ruled by The Bodhisattva Annointed by Dark Water. Scavenger Sons states on page 56 says that the Skullstone Archipelago is ruled by The Silver Prince. Exalted: the Abyssals states on page 93 that The Bodhisattva Annointed by Dark Water and The Silver Prince are one and the same.
And its known that SS went through a few major rewrites, so it's not immpossible for an artifact of a previos version to accidently remain in place.

What intrigues me is the idea of Anima Effects. Could these possibly be tailored to suit the Heroic/Mortal Exalted's personality? Such as someone with a strange love of food being able to spend motes of Essence to materialize a delicious sandwich.

Okay, bad example, but you get the idea, yes?

What intrigues me is the idea of Anima Effects. Could these possibly be tailored to suit the Heroic/Mortal Exalted's personality? Such as someone with a strange love of food being able to spend motes of Essence to materialize a delicious sandwich.
Okay, bad example, but you get the idea, yes?
Aside from magic food, I like it.  Perhaps a mini-point based system in character gen where you take your starting virtues, Nature and willpower and work out how far you can go in a certain direction; a paragon full of Valor would probably find his skills in combat raised, or a conviction filled exalt may find extra soak?

-g3

Aside from magic food, I like it.  Perhaps a mini-point based system in character gen where you take your starting virtues, Nature and willpower and work out how far you can go in a certain direction; a paragon full of Valor would probably find his skills in combat raised, or a conviction filled exalt may find extra soak?
-g3
That's a delicious idea. I really do like the idea of linking Heroic Exalted to Virtues - it gives quite a bit more flexibility than what the Solar Exalted have.

Now here's a question that's either stupid or intriguing. I suppose I'll be told eventually. What would happen to a Dragon-Blooded who receives a Heroic Exaltation. Ordinarily, the overwhelming power of a Celestial Shard would replace their Terrestrial Exaltation, but the Heroic Exaltation seems more ... generic (for lack of a better word). What if the Heroic Exaltation were to play on what traits/resources/skills were already available?

I think it would make sense if the shard were to adapt to its given circumstances, rather than completely overwhelming everything that already is there (as is the case with Celestial Exaltation).

That's a delicious idea.
Guh.  We're being fed more food jokes :)

Now here's a question that's either stupid or intriguing. I suppose I'll be told eventually. What would happen to a Dragon-Blooded who receives a Heroic Exaltation. Ordinarily, the overwhelming power of a Celestial Shard would replace their Terrestrial Exaltation, but the Heroic Exaltation seems more ... generic (for lack of a better word). What if the Heroic Exaltation were to play on what traits/resources/skills were already available?

I think it would make sense if the shard were to adapt to its given circumstances, rather than completely overwhelming everything that already is there (as is the case with Celestial Exaltation).
Hrmm...  well, it could be an Akuma then, where it buys it's natural (dragonblood) charms at normal price, and Heroic Exalted charms at +3 each.  

Or the Dragon could keep his old charms, but weaken the elemental aspect of those charms.  Charms like "element bolt attack" would lose damage due to the lowered Elementalism, and Heroic Exalted charms could pick up hints of the old element?  

More likely it wouldn't be chosen for the job.  Less messy that way.  

-g3

Like, Aberrant Nova characters? Or Aeon Aberrant characters?

Because that'd kinda of put the Heroic Exalted leagues above the regular Exalted if you meant the Novas, no? One dot of Mega-Strength already puts you at the highest end of Exalted's STR + ATH feats of strength list, and two puts you off of it entirely. And that's not even considering that Mega-Attribute characters always win against those who lack Mega-Attributes.

The Aeon thing I don't know about, since I have only heard second hand and most of it was quibbbling about how Aeon Aberrants and Nova tied back into the Aberrant game.

Hmmm...you've got a point.  I guess right now I'm opposed to the Heroic Exalted on the basis of there already being enough Exalted in the world...plus the Infernals' date=' who I find to be very interesting, have had very little devoted to them.  The Heroic Exalted just seem superfluous. [/quote']
I believe the Heroic Exalted would replace all other Exalted, they wouldn't simply be a new type. And for you people complaining about WW adding a new type, or adding a type that isn't explained/researched very well, these guys got all of a sentence or two, were described as optional, and were described in a story that was itself optional. I doubt they'll play any role in canon Exalted whatsoever.

Alchemicals came out in an optional adventure. The Mountain Folk got a handful of paragraphs and jack until the Fae book came out. It is entirely within the realm of possibility we'll see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back