Hello there.

New around here and new to textual role-playing. I believe to be good at writing, but that is for you all to judge.

I was introduced to this site by a friend and will hopefully be able to fit in.

He means the Wolf *howl*

I can't believe you actually joined up :o

Wow. This is such an achievement that I feel obligated to reward you by liking your first post. You now have a like! Someone likes you! :D

I'll need some time to get back to my senses. If you need anything, ask. Though Wizard or Captain Hesperus will undoubtedly arrive soon to say the same, or maybe even other staff as well. I remember when I first got here, I was greeted by all 5 admins (that was the total number back then, Staff has slightly expanded since then but surprisingly still doesn't include a Wolf)

*bark*

Thanks for the Like. I would Like that Silent Hill thread of yours, but I seem to be in need of more posts from my end before I can do, well, anything.

Or maybe I'm just missing something, as usual?

I believe that recently the Staff has reinstated an old rule that requires new players to make at least 10 posts before they are allowed to send PMs, like statuses and whatnot.

If you take a look around you will probably find a few places to stack up a dozen posts, or alternatively you can spam the new player threads with "hi welcome to rpdom". It's what the admins do :D

wiz dat was a jooooooooooooooke *hides*

The ten post rule is to cut down on spam and bots, I believe.

Since Volk knows you, I'm inclined to believe you're a real person, and not a robot :)

What kind of game genres do you usually enjoy?

Well, I like all genres equally. It's the game that matters to me, not the gameplay style. Except for RTS. I don't really like RTS games. Mostly because I'm a bad strategist. Although I did play some, for fun mostly.

Hallo. I believe Alex was referring to genre in the literary sense, rather than in terms of gameplay. You would be hard pressed to find RTS games on here...

So, you know - do you like fantasy? Sci-fi? Modern drama? Modern horror? Mythic fantasy? Alternate history? That kind of genre.

Hm, it's hard to pinpoint a certain genre, I'm an all-type kind of person. If I had to pick a favourite, It would be steampunk. I just love the designs, the clockworks and machinery.

Mind you, I never actually read a steampunk themed book, to my shame, but I have played steampunk games; Thief, Bioshock and my most favourite Dishonored.

@Alexandra - Pff. How do you know he's not my robot? :cool:

Jack, don't forget Survival/Horror! We are supposed to run Silent Hill, and you're supposed to like it! Robots these days...

Yes, of course. I will retract my previous statement in favour of a new one.

If I had to pick a genre, It would be Survival/Horror. I just love the stories, the feel of fear and despair.

Mind you, I never actually read a Survival/Horror themed book, to my shame, but I have played Survival/Horror games; Resident Evil, Dead Space and my most favourite Silent Hill.

Ahahaha...this is great :)

I think, in so far as steampunk themed books, there are precious few, as steampunk is much more of an aesthetic. So videogames like that do well in spreading awareness of the genre.

You should check out Victoriana; a nice steampunk tabletop RPG. Some friends of mine played it long-term to great enjoyment.

I read through the description of the setting, skipped the gameplay mechanics description because I'm fairly new to this, so half of the stuff is gibberish to me. Seems interesting and reminds me in a few ways of Dishonored. I'll keep it in mind for some other, better time.

Understanding mechanics will come with time.

Having played videogames where you "level up" or enhance traits or abilities through gameplay will help. Most well-written RPGs have a section in the mechanics where example characters are trying to perform actions, and they talk you through it. My old Vampire; The Masquerade corebook had such a section, and it helped a teenaged me understand what the hell was going on :D

I'm planning on a Dishonored-flavoured game in the nearish future, so keep 'em peeled, Jack.

You have to be careful, because there's TWO games!

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. The latter is not as good, judging by the scores, and it's much older. I never played Redemption so I wouldn't know.

I am not entirely sure which game Alexandra is referring though, my guess is Redemption.

[QUOTE="Jack Elarithon]You have to be careful, because there's TWO games!
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. The latter is not as good, judging by the scores, and it's much older. I never played Redemption so I wouldn't know.

I am not entirely sure which game Alexandra is referring though, my guess is Redemption.

[/QUOTE]
She is in fact referring to the tabletop RPG from whence both Bloodlines and Redemption are derived.

Yeah, I knew she was referring to the tabletop RPG. Didn't know there were two PC games though.

My point was, good that you mentioned it because since Jack has no experience in roleplaying, it might help ease the transition if he was met with familiar themes (such as that possible Dishonored game Grey mentioned)

I'm familiar with the videogames too; they're quite faithful to the tabletop version (except the powers got a bit wacky at high levels in the computer game). So I reckon you'd feel relatively at home in a Masquerade game.

Wolf raises a good point; looking for games with similar aesthetics or from a genre you're familiar with will help you get into it easier. Oh, and ask your GM as many questions as possible; they're there to help ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back