• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Heart Race

Atticus Augustus Auberns

Fly like an eagle, jump like a kangaroo!

Roars of excitement and support bellowed from the spectators around him. A smirk crawled onto Atticus's face as he shook himself and jumped up and down to warm up his body in preparation of the feat in front of him. The boy turned his eyes to either side of him as he observed his competition. A scrawny boy that could barely stand, a much too hefty guy to jump, and a potential rival. A twinkle sparked into the boy's brown eyes as he felt the fire of ambition and arrogance. Never has Atticus felt so much excitement for the triple jump event. This was the biggest competition of track and field he has ever competed in. A handful of universities from around the region has come here together to have their students compete in the track and field event. And Atticus was one of the many to represent Oakvern University. His eyes looked down onto his uniform that contained the colors blue and white that had a proud ovalish 'O' in the middle to show the pride of the school.

The sun was high in the sky and no clouds were in sight, it was as if it was a sign telling him that Nemesis was on his side. Then finally Atticus heard the call for the triple jump participants. His teammates all around him patted him on the back, slapped him on the buttocks, and cheered him on,
"You can do it Gus!" Atticus would flash them his signature crooked grin and ran off to the area where he was to jump.

Never has Atticus felt nervous for anything, and he still does not feel his nerves disturbing him. All his attention was focused solely on his obstacle. His playful mood sobered down into serious concentration. One of the other jumpers said, "Good luck." Atticus's eyes swerved over to the voice to see that it was his potential rival, same build, same cockiness, and same shine in his eyes. Atticus granted him a cocky grin, "You too buddy." With unspoken, understood words they shook hands with a strong grip, neither one desiring the break the moment. Then the whistle blew that broke them apart and had them moving their separate ways.

"Okay you guys should understand the procedure and rules to this. If you have an questions before we move further on please ask now or we shall begin," the coach exclaimed. A silence greeted him and he nodded as he moved over to the helpers of the event who keeps track of the distance jumped and if any faults were seen. Already they knew who was to jump first according to university. Atticus was one of the last ones. Sweat dripped down from his face from the heat of the sun and his body. Every jump he observed Atticus had an inside comment to it. He felt that he had a real shot at this event until his potential rival stepped up. With gritted teeth he watched as his rival jumped the farthest distance with a good landing, placing him above all. Atticus huffed out an air of anger and felt the blood boiling on the inside. At that moment Atticus knew he had to win this event, especially since after the jump his rival turned to him and gave him a wicked grin.

Then came his turn. The moment he has trained for. He lowered himself in the starting position as he waited for the call. His eyes were focused on the ground beneath him and nothing more. The sounds of roars were dulled as he blocked out all distractions.

This is my moment. I can do this. Fly like an eagle, jump like a kangaroo!

As he said these words in his head he was off. Big giant steps of him running up to the sandy area and then the power placed all onto his legs. Then suddenly he was flying over most of the sand. The wind was brushing him forward guiding him to victory. At this moment he felt like he was wearing Hermes's flying shoes that helped him soar through the marks of past jumpers and then finally past his potential rival's until he landed with an oomph a few inches away from the last mark. There screams and cheers broke through his concentration and he looked up. Teammates on the other side of the field were whooping and hollering. He'd done it. He has won first place on his first event of the meet.

Lee Hye Mi

The roar of the crowd could be heard all throughout the arena as the events started to have winners, winners of all medals. Women and men competed, each school trying to be the best, each school wanting to claim the gold. However there was a group of women who hadn't gone yet for their race was one of the longest races in track&field. The women of the 5000m race all paced, warming up and trying to stay pumped. There, among the group stood a slender woman with pale skin and pale blonde hair. Hye Mi, the rep of her university walked aimlessly through the other women, the earbuds in her ears blasted her favorite music. The orange, white, and black uniform which she wore felt hot against her skin as she waited. The first heat was up and Hye Mi watched with a critical eye. She had to make it to the finals, she just had to. Westfield University depended on her making the finals. She nervously traced the white 'W' on the front of her jersey and happened to look at another event. An event that she had always watched in awe. The event that her close friend used to compete in.

"Hye Mi! You can't be staring off into space like that~ You have to get ready for your heat!" Hye Mi's best friend Susan said as she massaged the Korean's shoulders. Hye Mi smiled at Susan and turned away from the nostalgic event and watched the first heat go. The women that raced long distance were taller, fitter, and better in physical appearance than Hye Mi, but for some reason she excelled in these events. Suddenly the screams of a name caught to attention of Hye Mi as she put away her iPod and earbuds. The name that she hadn't heard in awhile suddenly made her turn 180 degrees so she could see who had that name.

"Atticus?!" Hye Mi said with a rather shocked tone as she watched the crowd chant his name and his teammates surround him. A smile crept onto Hye Mi's face as she clapped for her high school friend. Time passed by like no other and finally it was the heat that Hye Mi was in. Her coach put their foreheads together for a moment as he prepped her for her race. Breathing in and out slowly the Korean made her way to her lane, her eyes focusing on nothing but the track in front of her. The cheers coming from the stands were blocked out by her, the thoughts that once occupied her brain were now gone. Her entire focus was on the track and the track alone. Getting into her position she waited for the gun to fire. Her body felt numb and she felt as light as a feather, ready to win the race that she was born to win. Hye Mi was ready to show off the only talent she had ever known to possess.

"Runners on your mark, get set, GO!" The gun popped and Hye Mi began running. Calculating her pace, Hye Mi knew that she would have to keep a good position to keep her time good. 12.5 laps was lots of laps, but she had run it before. She was ready to take home her last gold medal, her final win for her beloved university. She wasn't about to give up on her chance to get into the finals. And she didn't give up that chance, she made it to the finals! Cheers from her team and the crowd filled Hye Mi up with pride and hope as she prepped for the finals. Sweat dripped down the side of her face as she finally stepped back onto the track, ready for the final race. The four other women beside her looked her up and down as if they were picking her apart. Once again the gun sounded and Hye Mi ran her race, the race that she had always saved for last. The race that would bring home gold.

It was the final one and a half lap and Hye Mi decided to do something reckless, something that made her Hye Mi. Picking up speed and soon she was on the final lap, still keeping up her sprint. Her lungs felt like that were about to explode as she continued to run, her legs, well she couldn't feel her legs for they were all fuzzy feeling. The cheers didn't reach her ears as she ran and finally crossed the finish line. The stands exploded and her teammates ran over to her, hugging her and holding her as they won first for the women's. Laughing dizzily Hye Mi leaned against Susan as they walked over where she would be awarded her medal.

((SOOOOO sorry! My sister suddenly came home so we were catching up))

Atticus Augustus Auberns

The next events that Atticus participated in also landed him with gold medals. Many envious eyes were drilling into him but all he would do is blow his rivals a kiss goodbye as he gave them a crooked smile. He has gone through this routine before so this was nothing new to him. Many girls began to swoon at his victories while many men began to use his name in vain. Atticus held no focus to one particular person since many faces were around him. As the meeting soon began reaching the last event the names announced to meet at the starting line sounded in the speakers.

"...and Lee Hye Mi"

The familiarity of the name struck him.
Hye Mi? Hye Mi? Where have I heard that name before? All of a sudden Atticus's obnoxious persona was gone. He stood still with a serious thinking face and his eyes began scouring through the crowd for the face that the name belongs to. A few people were still trying to congratulate him but he merely nodded and brushed them off. Then finally on the big screen he saw her. The small Korean girl who helped him through some projects in high school. She was known in the gifted areas of the school. A small smile tugged on his face as he saw his old friend. He crossed his arms and watched her face as she prepared herself for the race.

Once they were off Atticus sprinted over to an area close to the finish line and began screaming,
"Hye Mi! Hye Mi! You can do this!"

Many of Atticus's teammates were slightly confused by his sudden change of actions. Rarely did they see Atticus genuinely cheering on someone. But Atticus didn't care about the weird glances towards his direction. He finally has found a familiar face from high school. Over the years his memories of high school has gotten fuzzy from all the new memories in college. But once hearing Hye Mi's name it triggered an on-flow of memories. Soon the race finished with Hye Mi in first. Atticus grinned with pride as he trotted over to the awards area.

He slowly weaved his way through the crowds until he was up in front. Flashes of cameras were everywhere as well as the many clicks from smartphone cameras. Atticus stood there with his arms crossed and a smirk on his face as he waited for Hye Mi to receive her medal before he called out to her. Atticus was surprised of himself as well as he thought about why he was standing there. He shrugged the thought off though and stood there holding all his attention on his old friend.

Lee Hye Mi

Hye Mi smiled as she stood in front of the cameras, the golden medal hanging around her neck. Running her hands back through her blonde hair the Korean tried to answer any questions from her teammates. Turning slightly Hye Mi noticed something that made her face light up and a smile spread across her lips. Zipping up her jacket Hye Mi made her way through the people over to the one person she was very glad to see. Atticus, one of the people in high school she didn't want to forget.
"Well hello Triple Jump Winner" She said with a sweet grin on her face as she stood face to face with her old friend.

Did she ever think that she would see him again after they separated? No, of course Hye Mi didn't think that she would be able to see him. They went to different schools, got new phones, lived new lives, forgot about the past. However now that she was able to see him again, Hye Mi's memories came flooding back as she stood in front of her taller friend
. "Atticus Auberns, the man of every girl's dream~" Hye Mi teased as she looked him up and down, checking to see how much he really changed. Running a hand through her blonde hair again she tried to think of how to act around him. Rarely was she social with someone who she hadn't seen in years so it was unusual to begin with.

"Hey isn't that Atticus? Who's that girl he's talking with? Is she his girlfriend or something?"A girl asked another person as people's attention was turned to the two gold medalists who were talking. Both didn't seem to realize that they were the center of certain fans' attention and the teammates of the two. Hye Mi could tell that her face was turning redder as she stood in front of Atticus, unsure of what to say to him. She wasn't really good at talking to guys to begin with, but for some reason she felt even more nervous and embarrassed in front of Atticus. Maybe it was because she knew him, maybe it was because he's attractive since he grew up. Whatever the reason she was being shy, Hye Mi was getting even more nervous. 'Why can't I ever be comfortable around guys?! I've known Atticus since high school, I shouldn't be this shy!' Hye Mi's thoughts were directed to her shyness as she pulled the collar of her jacket up to her nose so that her blush would be hidden.

@LifeNovel

Atticus Augustus Auberns

A goofy smile still hung onto Atticus's face as he watched his blonde Korean friend walk over to him.

"Why hello Triple Jump Winner."

"Good evening Ms. 5000m winner."

"Atticus Auberns, the man of every girl's dream~"

"Have been and always will be," Atticus winked at her. His eyes examined the general details of her petite body noticing that no major changes came upon the Asian since he last saw her. In all honesty he never thought he would meet up with any of high old high schools buddies anymore. Through her little actions he realized that she was slightly nervous. Of course Atticus could tell whenever someone is nervous but never when they are into him.

"Hey isn't that Atticus? Who's that girl he's talking with? Is she his girlfriend or something?" His eyes directed over to a group of girls and guys whispering and pointing their direction. Atticus never liked gossip. He just gave them a sly grin.

"This is my good friend Hye Mi!" he exclaimed as he slung an arm over her shoulder, hugging her into him with a single arm. The people who were whispering questions gave him a look and dispersed. He just gave a single huff of laughter and then turned his attention back to Hye Mi. "Hey don't worry about what those people say. They're just jealous that they're not talking to me, the great Atticus," he smiled. Just as Atticus was about to start asking how Hye Mi has been he heard the call of his university. His eyes turned over in the direction where they were located and saw his teammates packing up the equipment. One of his college friends saw him and yelled, "Hurry up Atticus! The bus is about to leave!" To acknowledge that he heard him, Atticus waved to him and quickly turned back to Hye Mi.

"Hey so I would like to continue talking to you but sadly it seems we will have to continue another time or else I'll be walking back to my dorm. Um...here's my number," Atticus said as he pulled out his phone and clicked onto his contacts app and released Hye Mi from his grip, "213-439-0032. Just send me a text to that number and I'll save it onto my phone." Atticus shut off his phone and looked at Hye Mi once more. "I'll be expecting a text from you. Ciao!" he yelled out as he began sprinting towards his school bus.

Lee Hye Mi

Hye Mi smiled at Atticus as he smoothly talked to her with the same confidence that he had in high school. She stiffened at the sudden contact which Atticus provided as he gave her a hug in order to disperse the gossip. Hye Mi hit his shoulder slightly with an irritated expression on her gentle face.
"Haven't I lectured you enough about touching girls however you please?" She asked in a slightly serious manor, as if she was the older one. Her stern expression softened a little as she looked up at her friend with a grin. However the reunion was short lived as Atticus was called by his teammates.

"Hey so I would like to continue talking to you but sadly it seems we will have to continue another time or else I'll be walking back to my dorm. Um...here's my number," Hye Mi looked at Atticus with a slightly confused expression as he told her his phone number. She looked at him with a blank expression as she recited the number in her head. That was when she watched he leave her side once again, just like at high school graduation. For some reason Hye Mi felt a bit saddened as she watched Atticus leave her once again, to live his own life.

"Whoa! You just got hugged by Atticus, and got his number right? OMG you are so going to go out with him right?" Susan asked as she ran up to Hye Mi, squeals and giggles escaping her lips. Hye Mi turned to her friend and looked at her in a daze. For some reason it felt a bit surreal that she met her closet high school friend. Running her hand through her hair she smiled softly and then entered his number into her phone.

"Ah sorry I had to go to the restroom. Meet you on the bus!" Hye Mi said, purposefully excusing herself from her fangirling friend. Once the Korean got away from everyone she looked at the phone clutched in her hands. "Should I text him now? Does that seem too desperate? I'm not like his fan or anything." She bit her lip in irritation as she tried to think of what to do. "Well he did say he was expecting a text from me... God Atticus! Why do you always put girls in this position?" Hye Mi asked bitterly as she shoved her phone in her jacket pocket before jogging back to her bus.

@LifeNovel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back