• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Headphone Actors

Rantos

The man with 1001 waifus

When the world is your stage, how will you play your part?

Actors

One of the many forms of artist, story-tellers that fill this world of ours. Humans, able to invoke the minds eye and suspend the disbelief of the common man and woman. These few humans, with the world as their stage, turn mere words into weapons to rend the hearts of those who witness them. They who switch seamlessly from mask to mask. They who always insist the show must go on.

Taking the name of Actor, you have but one role to play on your worldly stage. Dawning the mask of a warrior, you are a savoir, and that is no act. You who takes on the mask of a warrior, holder of the last flame of humanity. You who chosen by the Goddess shall carry out the duty of an Actor.

Humanity faces a plague, creatures known simply as Dusk who hold an endless hunger for destruction. Backing humanity into the protective walls of civilization that only exist to slow the Dusk. But not made to end it. That is where you step in. You who holds the power to cure the blight of humanity. You who shall protect and serve with your life. You, who in our time of greatest sorrow shall be the last light to shine upon the greater tomorrow!

Without a scrip, without the lights or camera, how will you play your part?

[CS]
[NPCs and extra information]

Last edited:
dsatgaesdui.PNG

Nestled in the wood, hidden and tucked away from the rest of society, right where it belonged was the infamous Headphone Actor base. It was a small angular building that was nothing more then an old repurposed house. It worked perfectly as an HQ for four people and their Goddess, but something was clearly left to be desired from the small space. However for all intents and purposes, the hose fulfilled the needs of each member. It was quaint, for lack of a better word. The house was always cold so long as Harmonia walked the halls. The Goddess's chilling aura was good for keeping the bugs away, but the sacrifice is that most of the Actors had to wear jackets and fleeces in their own home.

Last night the Actors had welcomed a new member into their ranks: Renana Jazzy, or Rena for short. Harmonia was in a rush to get the girl to spend the night, to introduce her to the members finally. She was given a warm reception, despite how cold the temperature was. Harmonia and Ira quickly welcomed the new girl, Liz wasn't as excited to welcome someone new into their ranks but as the night went on she slowly warmed up to the idea. Though apprehensive at first Liz was willing to welcome the new girl. One member however was not able to attend the welcoming of the new member. Harmonia told Rena that the leader, Kala, wouldn't be able to meet her finally until morning.

-morning-

Harmonia was second one up, as per usual. The plucky Goddess rushed to get to Rena's room. The sun had yet to come up yet and Harmonia had no idea if she was even up or not, but that didn't matter. What did matter was that it was pancake day and Rena's first day as a real Headphone Actor. Rena would have to thank her lucky stars for this later, Harmonia thought. To join on pancake day is always a sign of good fortune! After a good amount of running and getting lost in the few halls of HQ. After enough wandering around (and asking Kala for directions) Harmonia finally made her way to the empty room Rena stayed in for the night. She opened the door, taking care as to not wake the sleeping girl within the room. Harmonia crept up to the side of Rena's bed, she got down on her knees so that her head as level with with the sleeping girl's. Then, she waited. It was still dark outside, so Harmoina didn't wish to wake her just yet. So she would wait for the sun to come up.

She waited...

And waited...

Waited still...

Waiting...

Wait...

. . . .

At last the sun peaked from over the mountains! The warming light was in sight, now was the time to strike! Harmonia got a little closer so that her face was mere inches away from Rena's. How would she approach this? Should she blow in her face to wake her up? Or what if she pinched her cheeks? Maybe if she stuck her finger in Rena's ear... no none of those ideas would be good. Then, it struck her, what if she woke Rena up the same way Kala often woke her up. It's just might be an idea crazy enough to work. Harmonia readied herself and went in for the kill.

She planted a soft kiss on the sleeping girl's forehead and spoke softly.

"Wake up sleepy head, it's pancake day and you don't want to be late for breakfast~"

--------

When Rena would finally arrive to the kitchen guided by Harmonia she would find a boy who she's never seen before at the stove top. Next to him, a mountain of pancakes, plates stacked a yard high with pancakes and the boy was making more. He seemed so absorbed in his work that he didn't dare look away from it when he talked.

"You're Renana right?" The boy asked. "Nice to meet you. I'm Kala. It's a bit of a mad dash in the morning but please feel free to take as many pancakes as you want. It's an all you can eat day so if you need more on your plate just ask."

Harmonia gladly took Kala up on the offer, taking a plate and a gallon jug of syrup back to the table not far from the kitchen.
GossipLink GossipLink

Whatever dream that Rena had been experiencing, was cut very short. The feeling of cold impressed on her forehead, slipping her out of the fragile state of rest she had been in. Eyes shooting open, the girl found herself face to face with Harmonia. Rena had to force her body to not react immediately, because her first instinct was to either run, or attack. Neither of which, would benefit the situation. Swallowing hard, a small blush forming around the corners of her pale cheeks, the musician waited till the Goddess finally gave her some space. Taking the chance, she sat up in her bed, letting the soft blanket fall to her legs. It's good I kept on my pajamas... Shaking off the thought, Rena turned her attention to other woman. If it had been anyone else, she might've scolded them for entering her room unannounced. But Harmonia was a bit of an exception. Not only was she a Goddess, but if not for her, Rena wouldn't even be here. So, who was she to complain about some invasion of privacy?

"I'm...awake, thank you. I look forward to them!" Giving a little smile, the musician wondered what these, 'pancakes', were. Not something I've ever tasted. But hey, new experiences, right? "Do ya mind giving me a moment to fix up?" Harmonia nodded, and left the room. Taking a much needed second to prepare herself mentally, Rena let everything settle into the back of her mind. No sense over thinkin' things, right? Take life as it comes. Besides, last night was a fun lead up to this new situation. The other two members, Liz and Ira, were both interesting people. Ira was incredibly welcoming, right off the bat. And while Rena wasn't too sure about her at first, Ira came around eventually. I wonder what their leader is gonna be like. If he followed the same principle as the other three, he'd be another fun person to hang around. Satisfied with calming down her mind, Rena opened up her bag she brought. It was pretty small, only big enough to hold one outfit and some toiletries. Despite what she told Harmonia, this was nothing more then a test run. See if staying here would be...safe. I suppose I outta pack up the rest of my stuff after breakfast. Another, more genuine smile made its presence shine. The girl did like it here.

Slipping on her casual clothes, and tying her hair back into a simple ponytail, Rena met the Goddess in the hallway. From there, the woman led her down to the kitchen. The aroma hit her almost as soon as she left her room, and it kept getting increasingly stronger. When she finally seen the source of the smell, the girl's eyes went wide. That's...a lotta food for a couple people. And it seemed the cook wasn't yet finished. Without breaking from his concentration, the boy introduced himself. "So you're Kala, huh? The team leader...I would'a guessed you're a hired chef." Rena watched as Harmonia bounded over and collected a stack of the 'pancakes', alongside an entire jug of something sweet smelling. "That's a compliment, by the way." Following suit, she grabbed a smaller selection of them. Picking a fork and knife, she also took one of the same jugs that the Goddess had taken. "Nice to meet ya too, Kala. Thanks for the breakfast." From there, Rena copied everything Harmonia did in eating the pancakes. Turns out...they aren't that bad. There're ah...not my favorite though. Towards the end, Rena spoke up loud enough for both the boy, and Harmonia to hear her. "So, what do yo'all do after eating?"

Rantos Rantos

At the Headphone Actor HQ
Color Key: Harmonia Liz Ira

"Pancakes, pancakes~ Chew them up, swallow them down~ pancakes!"

Completely absorbed in her breakfast, Harmonia left Kala and Rena to their own devices. Looks like breaking in the new recruit once again fell onto Kala. He took to being called the chef well, laughing in amusement at Rena's introductory line. She wasn't entirely wrong.

"Well sometimes I feel I make a better cook then leader. Harmonia either burns or freezes everything she makes. Liz often gets frustrated half way and gives up. Ira can make a damn good sandwich, but not much else. Cooking all too often falls on me. You should see the nights I'm not around, we call those nights cup noodle nights."

He was a heavy talker. It sounded like Kala wanted to go on and on but he stopped himself short. He knew that even though he loves the sound of his own voice a stranger might not take to well to having their ear talked off. So he continued making pancakes, experimenting with size and shape yet still making sure each one came out with the perfect golden brown color. The girl would all too soon get a good talking to soon enough by the other members.

"I bet I can eat more then you."

"You've never been able to best me. What makes you so confident?"

"I haven't eaten in three days so I could see the look on your face when I scarf down more then you!"

"Not now not ever could you even dare to rival me milady."

"We'll see who's talkin' soon enough!"

Speak of the devils. As if on cue with Kala's thoughts the other two Actors walked into the dining room. Liz was the first to enter, she went directly for the pancakes, saying good mornings and other pleasantries were clearly second on her to do list. She grabbed all the necessary instruments for her imminent battle and began setting up the table, only bothering to stop for a second to give Rena a simple how do you do before getting back to work. Ira entered in second and in far less of a rush. He made sure to greet Rena and Harmonia before moving over to Kala and giving him a good morning as well. Booming in his great voice Ira greeted his friend.

"Master Kala it's been far too long! Last to come home and first to leave in the morning. Tell me when do you find time to sleep?"

"In-between jobs. You know me, running off two hours of sleep and twenty cups of coffee."

"Even though I know you jest I must advise against such self destructive-"

"Don't you think you should be worrying about filling your tummy with pancakes before you worry about me? Go, eat!"

Ira wasn't one to press matters, so he made his way to the table, giving Rena one more greeting once he was sitting. Liz was already primed and ready, fork in one hand and knife in the other. She has already applied the syrup and was licking her lips in anticipation. She had to resist diving in face first, but the sheer sight and smell of the tower before her was enough to drive her mad. A simple gaze was all the two needed to know that the contest was to begin. Liz didn't delay another moment, devouring pancake after pancake in a hunger driven frenzy. She didn't bother to cut even pieces, her strategy was to fit as much into her mouth as she could, holding back nothing. Ira however paced himself, tactfully cutting each pancake into fourths and taking only what he could handle. He ate deliberately, taking large bites but chewing slowly and with his mouth closed. Ira made no noise, however the dining room quickly became filled with the sounds of kerfuffle between Liz eating on stereo and Harmonia's song.

"I wish I could say it's not normally this loud, but truth be told their actually being quieter then usual." Kala took a seat next to Rena, on his plate were three cucumbers and some sardines. "What we lack in members we make up for in noise, as you can see we are quite good at causing a disturbance. I'm just glad we don't have neighbors." Kala began to dig into his own breakfast, taking a bite from one of his cucumbers and being sure to finish the whole bite before continuing. He lifted his finger to his lips, implying that should Rena stay quiet as he was about to resume talking.

"Things are pretty lax here, we slay the Dusk but how we go about that is up to the individual. I typically make rounds in the city after breakfast, these two do the same just at different times." Kala rubbed his cucumber in some of the fish oil that had made it onto his plate, then took another bite.

"I can take ya for a tour of the city. Go shopping, hit up the arcade, then finish up the day slaying eldritch beings. Also pick up milk. We are running out." Kala leaned in close and whispered in Rena's ear. "Don't tell the others but the milk I used to make the pancakes is four days past expiration." Kala leaned back with a self-satisfied smile and took one last bite out of his first cucumber. "I say finish up breakie and I'll take ya Dusk hunting. We could also get you your rank while we are at it. And one more thing." Kala reaching into his pocket and took out an mp3 player. It looked like an old model, didn't even have a touch screen. "Standard issue Headphone Actor swag. Costs twenty-five dollars to replace so don't break it~" Kala then began working on his second cucumber. This time he spoke with a mouth half full. "So, feel like heading into town?"

GossipLink GossipLink

No one else cooks, huh? The thought of a Faction's food source being so limited, at least in overall substance, was baffling. Rena had always thought of these groups as organized forces, having every necessary need met, in order to perform at peek condition. Yet, here the Headphone Actors' were already distorting the mental fantasy she had brewed up. The impression ya get on the streets, ain't the same as real life. This fact had been proven to the musician before, but it was colliding at full force once more, fresh on her mind. "Well, I suppose I could whip up a few meals now and then, if I get the right ingredients." Rena wasn't the best cook, but having a low budget forges interesting results. "I ain't terrible, should be edible." It was, at least to her lackluster taste buds. Returning to her meal, the girl poked lightly at the leftovers. Admittedly, she didn't have much of an appetite. The stress was getting to her. Harmonia made a simple comment, pointing towards Rena's hands. Without realizing it, she was tapping slowly against the metal. It's rhythm was melodic, though simple. Even without direct sound, she could hear each note in her head, one of her favorites. A slight bit bashful, she set the silverware down.

That's when the ruckus began. Rena didn't know the dynamic of the group yet, but things were falling into place. Liz and Ira, had some type of eating competition. Based on their conversation, the musician guessed this war waged on for sometime now, with no end in sight. Part of her wanted to leave the table, but something kept the girl grounded on the spot. Not somethin' I wan't to get involved with. One lesson ingrained into her head, was to keep out of rivalries. She responded to Liz's rushed greeting with a mere reassuring nod, but offered Ira a good morning. Otherwise, Rena kept her distance. Though, she stayed tuned into every conversation. The most interesting by far, was the short exchange between the Vanguard, and their Leader. Kala doesn't chill out often, does he? Being the ringleader, doesn't limit ya. The girl had nothing to say aloud, though. Not yet. Besides, the noise kicked up a few decibels. The chaos was beyond having any semblance of a tempo, partly annoying the musician. Thankfully, Kala interrupted the disturbance.

His choice in food, only surprised Rena due to the sudden change. With these pancakes raining supreme, seeing him passing them by, made her a pint concerned. Either way, the windbag wound up, and chimed for a good while. Despite the amassed frenzy, the girl did her best to stay attentive. Ya ain't wrong about the disturbance. Truthfully, the only thing about this entire day so far that seemed semi-normal, was Kala's explanation about their extermination runs. So, ya guys do what you're supposed to. It was actually rather encouraging. After all, that was part of why she was even here. I know how my Sound works, sort'a. But jumping right into fighting Dusk? A shiver ran down her spine. While she didn't remember ever facing them directly, there were plenty of stories that floated around the slums about the beasts. Most of those people, had scars, or missing body parts to prove it. But...Harmonia gave me this shot. A chance, to help in a way I never could otherwise. I gotta get used to eventually. Plus, she wasn't beginning alone. Taking the MP3 player, Rena wondered how to use it. Without prior knowledge, she figured it was a type of sound-producing device. How though, was the question. I'll have to remember to ask.

"I would love ta' head out. Relax for a...wait, hold up." Raising a finger, replicating Kala's own move, the girl fiddled with her pocket. Sliding out a piece of paper, she unraveled it, reading intently. Ah, damn. That's today? Returning the note to its place, she responded to the boy, "I'd love to, if ya don't mind us stopping around four'ish at a place uptown. I gotta' gig there till about six, just playing some atmosphere." Looking him in the eyes, she finished with, "If ya go, I'll tell the manager you're a friend. Free drinks, and all that 'jazz."

Rantos Rantos

At the Headphone Actor HQ
Color Key: Harmonia Liz Ira
Sounds like everything was panning out to be a good day. Rena was ready and raring to go and Kala was ready to show her the ropes. It was going to be so much fun, Kala thought to himself. To welcome another new member into the family was just too exciting for Kala to bear. Once he was finished talking it seemed Rena had something to say too. She told Kala to hold on, so while Rena messed with some paper that was in her pocket. Kala took this time to finish the food on his plate. Rena told Kala about her gig later and how she needed to be there, Kala was happy to comply with her schedule.

"Great, great! Perfect! Gig at six, yep, we can make that. Alright, so I didn't brush my teeth this morning yet, let me go do that and we will start walking into town. Be right back."

With that Kala got up and walked into one of the corridors branching from the dinning room. The moment Kala left earshot the whole room seemed to quiet down save for Harmonia's humming. Liz and Ira were looking directly at Rena, deliberating silently. After a bit of silence Liz piped up.

"Go easy on the captain Rook. You're gonna get mad at him sooner or later but try to remember the Cap juggles a lot."

"My apologies if this seems random lady Rena. On Liz's first day as an Actor she chastised master Kala. She's warning you not to make the same mistake."

"You didn't have to tell her that..."

The two mumbled to one another for a bit before returning attention to Rena. It seemed as though both members were deciding what to say cautiously. Carefully picking the words as if not to give away too much. Seems as though there were some things left unsaid, maybe for the better.

"Although I doubt any problems will arise between you two. So try not to worry and please enjoy yourself!"

"Don't die out there either. Don't want you ending up like the last Rook."

"Liz why must you say these things?"

"Let me have my fun lug."

The two began to bicker between themselves. Ira berated the Liz while she proceeded to drown him out but plugging her fingers in her ears. All the while Harmonia was still busy humming, kicking her legs to and fro and enjoying her ever increasing stack of pancakes.

It didn't take long for Kala to return from the bathroom, freshened up and ready for action. He took note of Liz and Ira engaged in their usual squabble. Without a word Kala motioned to the door and waited for Rena to join him outside. Once the two were outside Kala let out an exaggerated sigh.

"The two act like brother and sister. It's great to watch but it often gets pretty loud in there. Aanywhoo, the city is down this path, a quick walk and we're there. So, would you like to lead the way?" Kala pointed out the path and bowed out of the way for Rena. The walk itself only took eight minutes and would place the two in the industrial district. From there the main city was only a minute or two away.
GossipLink GossipLink

Maybe he ain't as much of a stickler as I thought? Admittedly, Rena's first impression on her new leader wasn't very accurate. The way he had stuck to cooking, hardly daring a glance away from the job, made him appear as a stricter-type person. But since engaging the man in conversation, that initial thought was rapidly fading. The fact that he was so willing to fit in her own sudden schedule, was proof of that much. I suppose I jumped to conclusions...my touch is fading a bit. Shaking the thought away, the girl offered a polite smile, coupling it with a little nod. With Kala shuffling off to get ready, Rena also was about to prepare for the trip, when the tone of the room suddenly shifted. Like a switch in the tempo, she couldn't help but notice. Staying glued to her seat, the musician took in everything Liz and Ira were sharing with her. Why'd I get mad at him? That question alone rang aloud, pounding a virtual bell in her head. So far, he seemed pretty agreeable, and certainly nice. When Ira explained the rather random comment from Liz, it began to make a lot more sense. I may have misjudged Kala, but seems I was spot on with you brunette.

It seemed the seriousness hadn't yet faded, as the duo were still rather quiet. When they did finally continue, each word felt cautious. What happened, to warrant such carefulness?...no, concern perhaps? Till Liz blurted out the line of a past rookie dying. Rena was shocked, but not enough to offer more then a pair of raised eyebrows. Death was something she was fairly accustomed to, having been in the slums. Sure, the Jazz Man did his best to keep the girl from the darker parts of the city. But no one is perfect at their job. There was a lot of starvation, and Dusk haunted the sewers where many homeless went to seek shelter. People would pop out of existence often, and be replaced nearly as fast. If someone could die while trying to avoid those monsters, how many more perish when purposely trying to hunt them down? Regardless, it was concerning. The idea that she herself could die, crossed her mind after she accepted Harmonia's invitation. But she had passed it off pretty simply, assuming that the risk was low. Now however, that previously dismal hazard, was appearing to be more real. But, the darker tone faded, as Ira and Liz began bickering between themselves. I'll have to remember to stay focused, and alert. My Sound is strong, and with it...so am I. Outside of that, the girl giggled a little to herself, and thought, These two are basically an old couple.

Kala rejoined them, catching the duo in a fight, but neither of them were on the original topic anymore. So, it seemed he pass it by. He motioned for Rena to join him, and since Ira and Liz were busy with their squabble, she agreed. Before heading out, she rushed to her room, and finished getting ready as well. A quick brush of her teeth, and an even faster comb through of her hair, the Actor sling a saxophone over her shoulder, and met the boy outside. The brass wasn't her usual gear, but rather one she bought for the sake of going out on jobs like these. It may not play as well, but I can still rock it like none other! Kala opened up the conversation with the duo, of which Rena had to agree. She carried similar sentiments about them, and she had only been there for a few waking hours, altogether. Thankful for the offer, the musician did take the lead. "Why take the long path though? I could get us there in under four." Taking the lead proper, she led Kala down through the alleys. She hadn't lived her terribly long, in comparison to her old city. But, she still preferred sticking out of the main roads. A habit not easily broken.

While walking, they shared some simple conversation. Mainly, Rena used the time to explain her own situation for later that day. They needed to get to her apartment at three, for her to have enough time to change and get ready for the gig, while still having enough time to not rush. Then, at four, it actually would begin. She wasn't hired for anything other then atmosphere, but the boss there had allowed her to take requests for tips. So, it would be pretty easy, all things considered. "I still haven't made my name known enough for bigger places, but I enjoy playing wherever I go. So as long's people enjoy my music, I've earned enough to keep by." She had told Kala that, afterwards. She said it with a smile, genuine in her meaning. That was another thing the Jazz Man taught her, to enjoy music, regardless of the payout. Maybe it only applied, because he did it on the side of the street...but Rena carried along the lesson either way. True to her word, the two popped out into the Industrial District just under the four minute mark. Granted, they had to take a surprising amount of twists and turns. But they got there in good time. "Well, I've led the way long enough. Your turn, Commander." Winking, the musician stepped back.

Rantos Rantos

It was a pleasant walk with a pleasant girl. Truly Rena was a fascinating person to talk to, at the very least when Kala was listening she had something interesting to say. It was a long shot but Kala truly hoped she didn't notice that he was tuned out for half the conversation. He's never been good at hiding when something else grips his attention, but he tried hard to play it off as if he never stopped listening. Hopefully it worked because he would hate to leave a bad impression on the first day.

The two arrived in the industrial district in a timely manner thanks to Rena's knowledge of the nearby area and it's shortcuts. Good. Great. Then it was time to start. Kala wasn't too comfortable bring his real weapons and armor knowing that a bar was to be their final destination. The weapon was a quick fix. There were plenty of old iron bars around these parts that could replace his sword for the time being. As for his armor, well. So long as he didn't get hit no problems should arise. Speaking of, Kala scanned the area, it didn't take long until he found a discarded pipe fresh for the taking. Next he took out his Mp3 player, put the earbuds in and put the wire under his shirt.

"We didn't have anymore with the wireless earbuds, so I gave you mine and took the extra one for myself. It's already got music on it but feel free to put more if you want. Also, I hope you like butt-rock because there is a lot of it on that thing." With Kala set up and ready to go, he turned and explained what was to happen next.

"We're gonna kill a Dusk! Well, more specifically you are, I'm just playing support. Whether you play a support role or not I need to make sure you can at the very least take out on Dusk. Even Liz who is our support specialist can take out at least 5 mid-sized by herself. This part of the district is basically a scrap yard, so fighting a Dusk hear shouldn't put anyone in danger, feel free to go all out. Now then, where's a nice sized Dusk."

Kala faced away from Rena as he looked around for a potential target. There was nothing for a bit, other then the sound of Kala's breath hastening. His body shook slightly with every exhale, his grip on the pipe tightened. Harder and harder, any harder and Kala would seemingly break the pipe into two. Finally he spoke, his voice shaking.

"Ah... there's one."

Just as Kala had said, a Dusk in the distance no bigger then Rena of him. It seemed to have noticed the two Actors and was making it's way to them.

"Just put the earbuds in and press the big button on the side. That button is just a glorified shuffle button so cross your fingers and hope you get a good song."
FIGHT!
Target: Small Wrath-born Dusk
Team: Rena (Lead) Kala (Support)
Kala Support Skill: Last second saves
Battle song:

Shirogane.Usagi.600.767818.jpg

Before you stands the target. Born of wrath the Dusk will be an aggressive fighter, closing the distance and attacking up close. With a quick and nimble appearance you can assume it's a fast one, one hit won't be enough, if you allow it to close the gap it will let lose a flurry of attacks. Kala stands beside and will only move with you, giving support when needed. Although it ultimately comes down to you to finish the Dusk Kala will make sure you stay alive and will help you from any pinch. You fight in a scarp yard, heaps of metal cast aside as far as the eye can see. Out smart your opponent, take victory!

The stage is yours​

The Industrial District wasn't a place entirely unfamiliar to Rena. She hadn't ventured into this area of the city often, but did cross through a time or two while heading from one location to the next. Not enough though, to remember the layout well. The Actor had been expecting Kala to travel a bit farther, but seemed content in their current spot. Which, made the girl a little uncomfortable. I know why we came here. So if this place is where we stay... Fighting a Dusk was the next level, in her progression of becoming stronger. The very thing, that Actor's were meant to do. Yet, there existed no logic to make this transition any easier. To top it off, the boy had been lonesome company on the way to the District. While he tried playing it off, Rena had been paying a little too much attention to not catch his repeating and basic responses. Must have a lot on his mind. Can't blame 'im. Regardless, it gave her a chance to ramble at least. Something other then straining on what was to come. Now however, there was no time left to waste. Taking a deep breath, she listened to Kala's instruction.

It did ease Rena's mind, knowing that their Leader was standing by to assist. If nothing else, she wouldn't die instantly should she screw something up. He stepped away silently, waiting. The silence was sharp, like a point on a blade. Quiet, nothing stirred. Till finally...the boy spoke up. His words, were almost like a bomb going off. Rena had been so intent on listening, that even his near whisper made her jump. So, the creature that strutted into their vision did her far worse. I gotta kill that thing?! The musician was so caught up in her mind, that the last of Kala's instructions went out the window. Unlike a sparring partner, the Dusk forfeited no allowance in time. Prepping itself briefly, the beast lunged into a rapid sprint, closing the distance incredibly fast. With her mind in a fog, the Dusk met no resistance in its attack. Several rapid swings flung out, only to barrage into a metal pipe. The girl was forcibly broken free from her mental prison, with a loud yell. Looking up with hazy eyes, she found herself on the ground, staring up at Kala. He had thrown her back, taking the brunt of the attack. The boy hadn't taken much damage, so the yell was only to get the girl's attention. True to his word, Kala summoned his strength, and pushed against the Dusk. With its balance tilted, he jumped out of the way again. However, it seemed the creature's anger was now trained on the boy. Turning to face him, it began prancing toward its new target.

Rena knew she had to get over herself. Standing up and brushing the dust from her clothes, she quickly surveyed the saxophone. It seemed to be in proper condition still, so, she wound herself up. Taking in a very deep breath, with fingers on the keys, she began to play.

The first few notes drew slowly, as she slipped into performing. Her current brass was slightly off, but it worked. There was a tug in her heart, like it skipped a beat. Suddenly, her lungs felt warm, growing increasingly more hot as the song progressed. That same burn, slowly rose along her throat, meeting an end at her right eye. The gray rapidly changed, shining out in the shadowed District. A dark, almost black iron mist protruded from the end of her brass, spilling out onto the floor around her legs. Rena kept on playing, meeting every note perfectly, echoing beautifully throughout the area. The Dusk however, didn't seem to like it. Before the creature assaulted Kala, it twisted around and sprung after the girl. Staring it down defiantly, the Actor kept on playing. Just as the beast's arm shot for her face, her Sound exploded up from the ground, gripping the limb tightly. Slowing the tempo, she used longer notes, and the mist grew even darker. The Dusk slammed into the vice with its free arm, but found it useless. With a final note sounding out, a sharp crack exploded from the beast. It stumbled backwards, missing an arm, which was now fading into an equally black mist of its own.

Well played Rena.

It took everything Kala had to hold himself back from applauding her on the spot. She had a bit of a rough start but got into the rhythm soon enough. It was times like this when Kala couldn't help but to look back at past experiences. His first fight didn't have the strongest start either. Liz's was pretty bad all the way though. Ira somehow ended his in one punch. But it's not surprising considering how not even a Dusk could get back up after getting hit by the physical embodiment of a freight train. Good times.

Kala settled back into his fighting stance, after watching Rena brutally take the Dusk's arm off Kala thought it best to pick up the pace. 'Clearly she knows how to get it done.' Kala charged forward, placing himself between the Dusk and Rena. The boy wound up, making himself open for a moment as he readied his strike. The Dusk took advantage of Kala's wind up, delivering a quick jab with it's one remaining arm focused on Kala's face. The hit connected, blood dripped from the point of impact and down into Kala's grinning mouth. The boy was unfazed, happy even, the Dusk fell for the bait. Kala struck, bring down the pipe right on the Dusk's head. It dropped to it's knees. Kala moved into his next attack with no wasted movements, he delivered a kick into the Dusk's head that sent it flying away from the two. Kala rubbed his sleeve on where the Dusk had hit him, trying to soak some of the blood from out of his eyes.

"Good job so far Rena. You just might have the makings of a Headphone Actor! Shall we finish this before any of it's friends arrive?"

Kala took position at Rena's side, he would continue to provide support. The Dusk was already back up on it's feet, ready for a second round. This time more wary of the mist that surrounded Rena. Yet that mist wasn't going to stop the Duck from rushing in head first. It charged the two. This time as it was closing the distance it grabbed a handful of scrap and threw it at the two without stopping to move. It was planning on using the cover of the scrap which was heading right for Rena. It advanced staying behind the scrap it had thrown towards Rena.

While the praise was appreciated, it was nothing compared to watching how easily Kala dealt with the Dusk. Despite taking a hit, he shrugged it off, and returned the favor twice as strong. I...I want to be that strong. Such thoughts, only had a moment to thrive. As her leader mentioned, the beast did need to be ended before any other Dusk wandered over to them. She was now feeling confident enough to handle one, but several? Heh...I'd rather just go home then face that. The sound of crunching metal stole her attention. Filled with even more rage then before, the creature tossed a volley of scrap Rena's way. With a sudden burst of energy, the musician poured more notes then were usual for her song into the air, leaving a small hint of orange floating amidst her Sound. Due to the now less-consistent solidity, the girl decided to try something risky. Flaring around the small radiance of her mist, it gathered according to her will. Another burst, and several brick-lick pieces of her own projectiles flung into the air. They collided with the attack, dropping the metal harmlessly to the ground. Yet, the ploy worked for a terrifying second.

The Dusk had succeeded in the distraction, stabbing with it's remaining arm right into Rena's side. She noticed right before it was to meet contact, and was awaiting pain to ignite her entire body. However, while she did slide several feet away, only her hip stung a slight bit. Confused, she tried to analyze why. Trying to replay the scene in her head, she tracked down the source. That small streak of orange Sound, had crept in between the beast's arm, and her body. Absorbing the brunt of the damage to itself, the girl only felt the after effect of the blow. Since when...could I do that? Till now, her Sound had only been gray. The Dusk wasn't as confused, though. Ripping through the mist, it trudged towards her. Meeting with the harsh red glow of the beast, she noticed an opportunity. Continuing the song once more, suddenly, the enemy couldn't move it's legs. As the notes extended on, the grey mist climbed along the creature's body, till it completely encompassed it. The Sound grew thicker, and more solid...till the same crack as before exploded out. Only this time, considerably louder. Finishing out the last couple notes, Rena allowed her Sound to diminish. As it bled away, nothing was left. The Dusk had been shattered from the force surrounding it, and faded alongside the Sound.

While it took a moment for the recognition to hit, once it did, the Actor slowly started bouncing on her feet. As the excitement grew, she finally began full on jumping in place. Laughing to herself, she exclaimed, "I did it! I actually killed a Dusk!" Dropping to the ground, the girl kept on giggling, as the burning in her lungs slowly dissipated. The result, was black smoke escaping her lips as she turned to Kala, "Thank you for helping!" Oblivious to how creepy it appeared, Rena'a joy was undeterred.

Kala wasn't sure if Rena had been practicing before or if her skill was purely innate but one thing was for certain, she was putting on a good show. She reacted well to the Dusk's actions, her retaliation was almost spot on. The battle was over once Rena began her counter attack, although the Dusk was still standing Kala loosened, he knew that in a matter of moments the battle would conclude. Rena finished off the Dusk, crushing it with her last move. Kala removed his headphones so that he may hear the gratifying silence that comes after a victory. He gazed over at Rena, still stunned in the afterglow of her first victory. The sight brought forth a grin from Kala. Kala advanced, talking towards the celebrating girl and clapping for her all the while.

"Bravo, bravo good show, good show!" A well done performance indeed. Rena handled herself well enough, certainly better then Kala handled himself in his first battle. The captain took one last look around the area, looking for Dusk, with any luck there weren't anymore adversaries. To his relief, that one Dusk seemed to be all.

Although as one problem faded another rose just as quickly to take it's place. A black smoke seemed to rise from out of Rena's mouth. Although it was gone as fast as it came, giving Kala almost no time to question it. Maybe it would be best to drop it for now and focus on the victory, Kala thought to himself. Kala checked the time, it was only 12 PM, meaning they had time before Rena had to preform, perfect.

"So champ! How would you like to have some post victory lunch? Where's your favorite place to eat in town? Lunch is on me so don't worry about the price!" Truth be told, one Dusk elimination is hardly something to write home about let alone have lunch over. However Kala wanted to take this time to get to know Rena better. When he thought about it, Kala didn't know much about his new teammate. Harmonia handled teaching Rena the ropes until now. It was embarrassing that the captain couldn't meet with his new subordinate until just this morning but there was nothing Kala could do about that now. Rather then fix what had already happened Kala focused on making up for lost time.

"Lead the way. To food, to lunch!"
GossipLink GossipLink

From pure joy, to bashfulness. As Kala began clapping, and joining in on the celebration, the girl slowly dropped her giggling. Though, her smile stayed plastered on her face. Appraise didn't usually throw her off...but having someone as talented as the leader of the Headphone Actor's personally congratulate her, did indeed side swipe her otherwise chill nature. With a tiny bit of a blush, she brushed it off by fiddling with the saxophone. Poor thing, ya did get scratched up by that asshat. Glad we snapped it apart. Rubbing a smudge out of it, she perked up at the thought of heading out to lunch. It has been awhile, and truthfully...those pancakes weren't the best. Never one to frequent bigger chains, Rena often dined at various home-owned restaurants. As well, having grown to be a bit of a foodie now that she had some disposable income, she had eaten almost everywhere the city had to offer...minus high society locations. With Kala offering her the chance to choose, she wanted to pick somewhere really good.

After a moment of thought, she remembered one place in particular. Ooh...that could be good! Ready to impress, she replied, "I'd love to, and I know just where to go. It ain't exactly the fanciest place, but if you want some amazing food, oh boy...you'll enjoy it!" Proceeding further through the district, she led him on another adventure of twists and turns. Almost calling herself Dorothy, and him Toto, they finally breached out into city roads. "Can't use the back way to get to this place, sadly. Hope you don't mind the sight of traffic much." While they traveled, once more, they only made some basic small talk. Between trying to remember how to cross safely through the Industrial District, then attempting to talk past crowds and cars, there was no time for anything too serious and focused. Determined to make up for that fact at the restaurant, she powered past it all. I bet he ain't going to be expecting this! This place has been enough to surprise Rena, who had seen some pretty crazy stuff throughout her early years. So, how would Kala react?

After a solid thirty minutes of walking, the duo finally rounded the last corner. The sign for the place had been long gone by now, but it adorned the brickwork building for enough years to be stained permanently into existence. 'The Runjiin Tower'. It's name would never suggest it being a food place. Rena only knew, because she had been greeted by a passerby who was handing out coupons for it awhile back. Despite it being called a, 'tower', the place was only two stories tall. One of those, being a basement. The entire exterior, was dulled-brown brick, with several missing revealing the old wood frame underneath. No windows allowed for a serious lack of viewing pleasure, and the only entrance was a rusted orange metal door. Completely, and undeniably, uninviting. "Well, no sense standing around. Let's head in!" Gripping the door, the musician prepared to have to yank with all her might. She had to do so last time. But, as she began pulling, it came loose incredibly easily, nearly causing her to stumble and fall. D-did they grease this thing? Passing it off, and hoping Kala didn't notice her near accident, she headed inside.

Immediately from the doorway, the atmosphere changed. Literally. The entire restaurant was supremely clean, with no evidence of the outer structural issues. It was designed much as you'd expect a four-star dinning place to look like, regarding layouts and seat choices. But, the floor, walls, and ceiling, told another tale. Everything other then the tables and seats, looked like space itself. Not a mere paint job, either. It was entirely 3D, with planets and stars rotating around the sun. After taking one step beyond the door-frame, gravity kicked off, and Rena slowly floated off the ground. Giggling, she turned around to see what Kala's reaction would be. Mimicking the owner of this fine establishment, Rena spoke over to him, "Welcome dar'ling, to the Runjiin Tower!"

It was nice to see Rena so excited, filled with nothing short of pure jubilation, seeing her so happy reassured Kala that she was fit for the job of an Actor. Hopefully things would stay that way. Rena seemed to be on the ball with picking a place to get some grub. She led Kala out of the Industrial District, it was a challenge for Kala to keep up with her though. She was going through alleyways, nooks and crannies, that Kala had never seen before. She didn't slow down at all, proceeding though the narrow streets with practiced efficiency. Despite being an Actor all his life keeping up with Rena was certainly one of the harder things he has ever had to do.

After what seemed like an eternity of intense concentration and maximum effort just to make it through the maze like alleyways, the two arrived at their detestation: Runjiin Tower. Kala had never heard of the establishment, but was always open to new things. He wondered if they would be able to accommodate his particular eating restrictions, few places could. But Kala was nothing if not open to new experiences. However, Kala's open outlook changed as the doors swung open. At first he couldn't help but chuckle as the door opened with little resistance, causing Rena to slip only slightly. Kala tried his best to save Rena's pride and not acknowledge it, but it was hard not to crack a grin at the poor girl. Then Rena entered, and that is when the problems started. The interior was incredible, too fantastical for words. Gravity seemed to be lower too, as Rena was floating in front it Kala. The whole scene screamed one word to Kala.

Actors...
Kala's body tensed, his eyes darted from corner to corner, wall to wall. He was completely focused, as if in another world, he muttered, describing the room aloud, measuring how far every object was from the objects adjacent to it, how tight the space was. Soon his muttering became little more then saying a number every time his eyes rested on an object. Until his eyes fell upon Rena, and Kala was instantly brought back to the land of the living. Kala looked shocked, stunned, no words came from his mouth which hung agape. It seemed as though Rena was waiting for a response to a question, a question that Kala could not remember.

"I-I'm sorry, I got a bit carried away... I get distracted, easily... H-hey, do you think they will have anything without meat or eggs, or poison on the menu." Kala looked at Rena, dead pan face, stone cold seriousness. "Ah forget I asked about that last part." Kala wasn't eager to enter the building, but he didn't wish to keep Rena waiting any longer. So he sucked in his hesitation and took a careful step in. It was difficult to keep both feet on the ground, Kala didn't wish to float like Rena. Even if it did look fun. Maybe it would be best to lighten up. The wary Actor let his shoulders relax, yet his eyes never stopped moving, scanning endlessly for an unknown target. 'Well at least it looks really nice...'

"So, do we just take our seats or wait to be seated or..." He stopped mid sentence, taking interest in a potted plant across the room. It was fake, it had a long stalk and large fake leaves. It held Kala's attention for a while before he finally found to power to break away and face Rena again. "Sorry, sorry. So what kinda grub do they..." A young couple stole the boy's attention this time. They were just leaving, and Kala watched them every step of the way. His usual smile seemed to be wavering, as if keeping it was an ordeal within itself.

The hell suddenly got into you? Kala's reaction hadn't been anywhere close to what she had been anticipating, melding her own feelings into a bundle of confusion. Did I do something wrong? Rena was quite excited before, but now that flare died faster then a neck snapping. Dropping to her feet out of the air, she attempted to figure out what exactly was so off-putting. Matching his rapid intake of information, the girl absorbed everything she could gather from where they were. Nothing is different then usual... She opened her mouth to ask about it, but the man suddenly decided to speak again. Wait...poison? But these people are Ac-...oh. A memory from the distant past rung throughout her head. Something...someone, had told her. 'Th'im actors? Yeas, they don'ts like another.' The idea of heroes hating one another, was puzzling back then, to the point where young Rena had shrugged it off. But witnessing Kala's abrupt change in mood, confirmed it. Letting out a sigh of relief, the musician let her body relax. Every muscle went slack, making her notice just how quickly her own response altered.

Allowing the boy another moment to gather his thoughts, Rena gave herself the same courtesy. With her own solid vibe returning, she finally spoke up, "Don't worry about these guys, I promise ya they're cool. They helped me get on my feet, after all." Much more pleasant memories sang their song of joy, giving life to a bright smile. "We can seat ourselves, follow me." Nodding her head the direction intended, Rena turned around and walked past a couple rows of chairs. I really wanna fly around, but I should get him used to this place first. Forcing herself to remain stable on the ground, she only drifted off a time or two. The power at play was an odd one, working in two different ways depending on its master. Should they wish it to make everyone have no gravitational control, then thus it would do so. However, if they merely wanted to allow it as an option, it worked exactly as that. If you had the desire to float, then you would. If not? Then no worries. Rena however, really wished to fly across the place. But, since she also wished to personally guide Kala, the result was an odd one, with her occasionally floating a few feet off the ground now and again.

She stopped at a booth on the far left corner from the entrance. It was away from the other customers, since few wandered over to this section of the joint. The projection here showed a vivid nebula, surrounding the local in beautiful pink and purple fog, mixed with a few stars glimmering in the sea of miasma. Taking a seat, she gestured for Kala to take other side. "They offer just about everything ya could want, so I'm confident you'll find something to eat. And, since I come here rather often, I can attest to the food being excellent al'round." There was no menus on the table, so she took one of the napkins and tossed it into the air. The garment floated off, as she returned her focus to the boy, "I'm gonna ask this in advance, I'd like to be filled in on why other Actors are such a concern later. For now though," kicking her legs over the table to rest propped up, the girl sunk into the plush cushions, "try to relax as much as ya can, and don't mind Miss Jenell. She isn't what you'll be expecting, but she's a cool person. If you can get past the first time or two you meet her..." Laughing a little nervously, Rena waited...and there it was. The sound of clinking and clacking.

In a moment, she was on them. The instant you heard her, she was there. Knowing the trick, Rena looked up to see the woman above her, floating like a graceful train wreck. Miss Jenell was an unfortunate person, having meet a hundred different fates that few could even dream of...and her body showed that fact. Her face was almost flat, though her nose stood as a sole mountain on a field of empty grassland. Though some may call it rude to say so, she herself would admit that her body was thrice the size it should healthily be, and its just as she wishes it to be. With the exception that her arms were logs compared to her tiny little legs that barely stuck on the other side of her flowing bear coat. She had more bling then every gangster in the city combined, with innumerable gold chains and rings. Even her teeth, half of which had been knocked out, were now replaced with gold and jewels. With no gravity, everything about her floated like a mysterious ball of gel. Yet all the while, she had the smile of a goddess, radiating kindness towards the younger girl. However, Jenell's expression morphed into a more neutral gaze, upon inspecting Kala.

"Ya know da'ling, I let ya sit here'n this spot cause I like ya. But him?" While you'd never guess it, the woman was trying to speak quietly to Rena. However, even her 'whisper', was as loud as a fog horn. With a deep mobster-type accent, and more gravely then a coal train, everyone in the restaurant could've heard her. If not for the woman's other effect, an addition to her power only Rena and the other members of the Cosmos Actors knew. The gravity affect, also dampened sound waves to a degree. Though it wasn't very powerful, it was enough to muffle Jenell's otherwise boisterous tone of voice.

"Sorry Miss Jenell, but he's a friend. Per your promise, I brought one with me for once!" Returning the smile, the girl hoped it wouldn't be an issue.

Jenell gazed between them, waiting to see if either of them would break. But seeing neither of them budge, she caved, "Aw, a'right. Anything for ma sweet da'ling. Just remember," winking, she finished with, "I told ya only a certain type of friend can sit here wit'ya." Chuckling, she floated off to the other tables, leaving a menu descending onto the table.

I do remember what ya told me, but...he isn't that kinda friend. Letting it go, Rena directed the menu towards Kala. "See what I mean? She's nice! Just takes time. Anyways...what do you think so far? Anything on the menu look good?"

Kala cursed himself under his breath. He didn't mean to be so tense, not in front of Rena at least. Going forward it looked like Kala would have to be a bit more tactful with his actions. Rena reassured him that the actors that ran this place were okay people, Kala would just have to trust in her. The two went deeper into the restaurant, Rena went first and led the way. A booth in the far side of the establishment is where the two finally sat down. Despite Kala's initial worries, he did have to admit that the interior did look nice. It was impressive both as a set piece and a show of power.

Something that took Kala off guard was Rena telling him to fill her in on why Actors feel animosity towards one another. That information was something that Kala just couldn't disclose, so he tried to pacify her with an excuse off the top of his head.

"Ah, that... um, w-well you see... It's just that I owe them money! Yes, I owe a ton of Actors money! I'm swimming in debt! It turns out paying student loans with money from other Actors isn't the best idea!"

Nailed it.

It almost sounded as if Kala was trying to trick himself more so than Rena. He could only hope that she bought it as Rena changed the subject. She began talking about the owner of the restaurant and without missing a beat the selfsame owner floated her way to the table. Kala didn't wish to seem rude, but it was just so hard to look at her. One gaze was enough to fill his head with the sound of Liz's voice saying things like "Did this monster eat the waitress or something?" Kala wouldn't dare to say something like that aloud.

The owner turned her gaze towards Kala, without thinking Kala gripped the table knife harder. Maybe he was getting ahead of himself, but better safe then sorry. Kala watched as the two talked, as the waitress and owner walked away she mentioned something about how Rena was only permitted to sit with a certain type of friend.

'I didn't know friends came in types. As in another girl? Or maybe friend type is deiced by common interests. I wonder what type that would make me... type B?' Kala was ready to contemplate the complexity of friend types for at least another half hour, but seeing a menu floating in front of him snapped him out of his trance.

"Oh, yes, what a nice selection of food! Pork Cutlet, Hamburgers, Chicken Wings... eggs... dairy, products." The boy started to break out into a cold sweat, water beading on his forehead as he looked at the menu. Despair grew in his eyes, flipping through the pages, looking, looking. There came a point where he held the menu only an inch or two from his face. His vision narrowed, his world completely absorbed by the menu. After what could have been his ninth time checking the same pages Kala put the menu down. "I think I'll be fine with just a cucumber and fish oil. It's not on the menu but I hope they can accommodate."

"So congrats on your first Dusk fight, again. For your first time you did pretty well out there. Here's to future victories!" Kala reached for a cup, but his hands found none. "Anywho... I wanted to ask you, what do you see yourself doing as an Actor? Or should I say what goal are you working towards. Every Actor has a personal goal, a reason for fighting. As captain I think I should be the one to help you get closer to that goal. Ira's trying to get money to support his family, Liz is trying to prove a point to society and I, I just want the streets to be safe again." For what could be considered the first time in this entire outing Rena had Kala's true undivided attention. His gaze did not falter from her eyes, as he waited for her response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back