Hallow's Evening [Ten Candles][Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanaxe_Ru

Title: Hallow's Evening
Game: Ten Candles
Player Count: 3-5
Disclaimer: This is a super quick oneshot, probably a week or two at most, but it is also probably going to get dark. I'm rusty on my horror writing. You have been warned.

These things are true.
The world is dark.
And we are alive.

Ten Candles is a no-prep roleplaying game of tragic horror where players take on the role of survivors in an apocalyptic nightmare, where the sun has gone dark and They are lurking in the shadows. It runs on a countdown of ten scenes -- typically denoted by tealight candles, but not here because text. It is 100% improv, with narrative control switching between the GM and the players, and character creation is extremely simple and built on key traits of your character which I will figure out with people privately. (I might have people create traits for each other.)

From the Ten Candles description: "It's considered tragic because there are no survivors. In the final scene of the game, when only one candle remains, all of the characters will die. In this, Ten Candles is not a game about "winning" or beating the monsters. Instead, it is a game about what happens in the dark, and about those who try to survive within it. It is a game about being pushed to the brink of madness and despair, searching for hope in a hopeless world, and trying to do something meaningful with your final few hours left."

As a note, this is a collaborative storytelling game. Rather than the GM simply laying out an environment for the players to interact with, narrative control will switch in between the players and the GM, with the GM slowly gaining more and more narrative control over the course of the game. This means that players can narrate objective things about the world, like finding supplies or getting the car to start up (within reason -- I reserve the right to veto any narrative decisions that are too overpowered). You also narrate your character's death in the final act.

Listed below is a potential prompt for the game, but I'm open to discussing a setting with whoever's playing.

Adrift (on Hallow's Eve)
The cruise ship has been silent for ten days. Silent, save the occasional howl on the wind, and screams quickly silenced. The motors have gone quiet and you have been adrift in the darkness. Backup energy and emergency lights held out for some time, but now even they have begun to fade. There were rumors of a secondary back- up generator below deck; but with no one to activate it, the ship is being overtaken by night. Perhaps even more unsettling however is the fact that less than an hour ago, the ship’s motor started once more. The ship is moving, but under whose control? You have barricaded yourselves in a cabin, and now the ship is turning off course, sailing to the unknown. If you could get to the back-up generator, you may be able to retake the ship. Maybe even send out a call for help. That is, if you can move quickly enough, before your shadowed cruise arrives at its new destination.

Happy Halloween! 🎃

Last edited:
Neph, you’re responsible for 90% of my traumatic experiences in life. You should raise that percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back