Half-caste Terrestrials in The Realm

Solfi said:
Considering that the Empress is implicitly identified as the result of a rather clever breeding program that was apparently important enough to come to the attention of the authorities...sounds like a reasonable source for any odd breeding quirks' date=' no?[/quote']
where is this mentioned?

Still though; I prefer my DB:s breeding natural, untampered, and without said intrusion in the game world for purposes of a balanced House set.
 Aspect Book: Air, p. 64.

Thing is, two patricians, Half-Caste or not, have a twenty percent chance of having a DB kid, so even patricians can be seen as potentially useful.  And, if a patrician is a Half-Caste, they can learn Sorcery, which allows a Family who does not want to lose the potential political connections of having one of their Exalted kids going Sorceror to have plenty of tame sorcerors laying around.

I still stand by my numbers.  Most DBs are going to achieve Essence 4 by age one hundred, and Essence 5 by age two hundred, and that's if they are lazy.  Since DBs are encouraged to produce a kid per decade until they get to age two hundred and fifty, resulting in an average of twenty-one kids per couple.  Assuming a couple of the same age, the first six kids will be patrician or DB, the next nine kids will be Inheritance 4 Half-Caste or DBs and the last six will be Inheritance 5 Half-Caste or DBs. Lower Inheritance Half-Castes, in both the Realm and Lookshy, will be the result of a marriage between a patrician and a DB, a marriage between a young DB and an older DB, or a bastard who is either picked up for the legions or the Order.

While most DBs do not reach Essence 7 by age two hundred and fifty, just the everyday use of Essence gradually opens them up to greater and greater things over the centuries.  If they will do anything with that greater enlightenment depends on them, though they will still produce Half-Caste children.

I quite honestly doubt that dragon blooded half caste can rise above inheritance three in anything but the most extreme circumstances.

I'd say only the empress and some house leaders might qualify for inheritance 4 which makes you the child of a "several centuries old exalt" even a 250 years dragon blooded is not several centuries old really. And inheritance 4 clearly states a "venerable Celestial Exalt from the first Age", not even the empress qualifies there. Even inheritance 3 will be a far stretch for most dragon blooded as it is exalts who are on par with second circle demons... I think not even a essence 6 immaculate monk is on par with a second circle demon.

I personally would say that terrestiral half casts need a bloody good explanation to go inheritance 3+ from a gamemechanics point of view

The Inheritance dot table description doesn't match the average of the parents' Essence ratings (from p. 61 of PG) that OS is using...because the table assumes that only one parent is a magical being, and the other is a mortal. Try it for yourself--you'll see what I mean. The magical parent needs to be Essence 3/4 to have kids of Inheritance 2, 5/6 for Inheritance 3, and so on.

Safim, if you want to use the color text from the Inheritance table as the game mechanic, amend the formula on p. 61 of PG to:

Inheritance = ([Higher of parents' Essence rating + 1] / 2), rounded down.

This will get you the results you want.

On a related note...

Since a creature which doesn't have genes doesn't have to worry about the negative consequences of incest... and we all know how few qualms gods have in that department... couldn't a god, demon, ghost or faerie breed with their own god-blooded offspring, if they had Dynasty of Inheritance, to increase the inheritance rating of successive generations?

Jukashi said:
Since a creature which doesn't have genes doesn't have to worry about the negative consequences of incest...
I wouldn't go that far. The lack of DNA just means that these negative effects have a non-genetic origin, not that they won't manifest.

Think about it. By your logic, characters needn't breathe, because oxygen doesn't exist.

-S

Says right there in the Lunars book, beastmen don't need to worry about it... why should other god-blooded?

My Take:

Personally, I think the rules for the half-caste inheritance were designed with celestial-and-upwards parents in mind. I would place a cap on the inheritance of dragon-blooded half-caste of perhaps 2, and for epic DBs, 3 or 4.

The Empress is another matter. Her children will ALWAYS exalt.

That doesn't mean that every child she bears will be a DB. But her acknowledged offspring will always exalt.

Take this: Empress has connections with Siderials. Whether or not a terrestrial will exalt is a matter of fate (quite unlike the celestials). Empress concieves, demands that she get a prognosis: Exalt or not?

Not: Maiden Tea Binge (Because she's a ruthless bitch)

Yes: Bear to term, love in her own controlling way

The Empress also is unlikely to have breeding six naturally, as she is supposed to have been of simply impressive breeding (3/4). I expect potent magic is involved in her lineage.

That's assuming she's really a terrestrial at all, of course. Pfft. To me, she's been an infernal from the beginning, and her disappearance after carefully crafting a world dependant entirely on her is part of their plan to bugger up creation in preparation for their return. I mean, it's so OBVIOUS!  :shock:

The rules for Inheritance were designed for all Supernaturals, with the exception of Dragon Kings, which are completely seperate.

Is it fair for THCs to be on par with other Half-Caste?  Yes.  God-Blooded are God-Blooded, the power levels are supposed to be equivalent.  If you want to complain, then complain about the fact that no Ghost-Blooded will ever have an Inheritance of 5, that's unfair, but that's just how the numbers work.

Supposedly, there is an Essence 5 cap on Ghosts, though the Deathlords certainly violate that cap.  It's sort of like Artifacts.  Ghosts normally cannot make Artifacts above level three but there are Artifacts of higher levels, like the Calender, made by the greatest ghost heros.  When it comes to Ghosts, there are rules, but they seem to apply to just 99.9% of Ghosts.

Where did I read that the Dual Monarchy are supposed to be more powerful (one on one) than deathlords? They fear them because they don't wield the same temporal power, but apparently the old rulers of the ghost world are the most powerful ghosts of all.

I'll have to look at the inheritance rules again, but with the bonus points you get from inheritance, I wouldn't be surprised if a rating of 5 placed you above a starting terrestrial, which smacks of silly to me. Just my opinion, but in the world of Exalted, not all are born equal. Incarna>Celestials/Gods>Terrestrials/God Blooded.

I can see how the immense power of an elder Celestial flowing through one's veins might make one potent beyond the average terrestrial (not to mention getting that celestial's charms), but in theory, shouldn't any god-blood be weaker than the average of their parent's kind?

Still, I suppose that while THC might start out strong, they have limited charm access. At least they get sorcery.

On ghost blooded: Not only do they get shafted in the inheritance, ghosts also have to learn a high-up charm (From Essence measuring thief arts, I think) just to allow conception in the first place. Suckers. The dead are good only for labour in the shadowlands, and spying. Although the summoning spell for them is grood.

... but the Dual Monarch doesn't seem to be an ordinary ghost. Besides, isn't its power somehow related to the masks it wears?

Yes. Yes they are. But still; that would account for them having more superghostly powers...

Uh... I wouldnt go as far as her going on maiden tea binges...

That would get noticed quickly.

One more thing...

Do you people think its possible for Terrestial Akuma's Breeding background to be increased by their investiure?

since all you need to do is increase their elemental power... (which if your a yozi, or 3rd circle demon is very much a "all you need to do"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back