• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Going for Gold

Name: Claire Wu
Home Rink location: Toronto Canada, formerly California

Appearance

Faceclaim: Yuna Kim

1297389094155_ORIGINAL.jpg

Personality
While not unfriendly, she is very competitive and focused and seems hard to approach, but warms up to people quickly. She always hung out with her rinkmates during competitions. Since moving her home rink and cutting ties with her coach in California, she doesn't have many friends yet and is expecting to spend the first couple of qualifying competitions alone.

Background
Born in China but moving to Canada at a young age, Claire grew up in Toronto. She moved to California in high school to train with a world class coach. There she was paired with Alex Anderson. She and Alex regularly podium and won the world title last year, the only time they have. They won numerous US Nationals.

Yet last year during practice, Alex didn't manage to catch her and she broke multiple bones in her leg and ankle. Wracked with guilt, he cut off his partnership with Claire and retired.

After she recovered, she decided she wanted a shot at the Olympic medal she and Alex had been aiming for and moved back to Toronto to train in her Home Town.

---

Name: Michelle Boudreaux
Home Rink location: Toronto Canada

perfil03.jpg

Michelle is a cheerful and bubbly girl from Ottawa. She and her partner were 4th place at Worlds last year. She has a tan complexion and brown hair. She is 5'1.

Last edited:
Name: Elisabeth Nelson
Home Rink: Toronto Canada

Elisabeth's faceclaim.jpg

Personality
Elisabeth is extremely effervescent and cheerful, always smiling. She’s an extremely motherly and caring person. Her hobbies include cooking, music (she plays the flute), and yoga. While she’s ambitious enough to be in a competitive sport, she’s not overly so, often placing around the middle of the group in competitions. It’s rare for her to have any kind of animosity or bad feeling towards a competitor and always has great concern in their wellbeing. She’s fairly liked among the other skaters and her fan-base for this reason.

History
Elisabeth was born and raised in Paris, France. She moved to Canada after graduating high school since the skating scene in Canada is much larger and her past coach recommended it to her. Before relocating, Elisabeth performed fairly well in local competitions in France and even in Europe, but once she moved to Canada and started competing in larger competitions she's fallen off the podium, instead landing around 5th place in most competitions.

Despite the falter in placement, Elisabeth is still motivated to do her best and loves skating. She dropped out of college after her sophomore year to focus more on her skating career and for a chance to medal again and hopefully make it to the Olympics.

-------------------

Name: Justin Reyes
Home Rink Location: Toronto Canada

Justin maybe.jpg

Justin is a very enthusiastic and outgoing person. He’s extremely friendly and charismatic and is almost always talking about one thing or another. He’s good-natured, but can be self-centered at times. He got fourth along side his partner Michelle at worlds last year. He's 5'10"

Last edited:
February 2021

She'd finally been cleared to go back on the ice. Nathan Phillips Square had always been her favourite place to skate as a kid. She loved the blazing neon light of the TORONTO sign, the tall towers of city hall looming over and the smattered chatter of couples on dates and friends hanging out. As a little girl, she'd rush over after school and skate circles around everyone until her parents picked her up. People stared in awe as she executed jump after jump. But now it was midnight and the rink was deserted.

No triple jumps, her doctor had said. What about a quad?

Triple Axel!?! They had planned a double but turned it into a Triple! She fell but there seemed to be enough rotations.

One day she would land a triple axel. And one day she would land a quad. She knows she can. Thats what she and Alex had always planned. She reached out her hand, grasping at thin air. That's right. Alex wasn't here anymore. From here on out, she would be alone.

Anderson and Wu win gold! What an upset! I'm sure we will be seeing more of them in the future.

With a surge of confidence, she turned and her toe pick hit the ice as she launched herself into the air. Two rotations. She landed on her left leg, the slight pain taking her off guard and she stumbled, falling back onto the ice.

"Claire! What are you doing! You should be in bed. You're not supposed to skate until tomorrow."

"Mum" She muttered as her mother came running up. She took the hand that was offered to her. "It's midnight. It is tomorrow."

--

April 2021

"Are you sure you want to go back? Its not too late to retire."

Her parents usually didn't wake up this early.

"I'm fine mum" She smiled. "I promise I'll take classes in the fall if thats what makes you happy."

But her mother's frown didn't waver but Claire was already out the door and on her bike.

Victor and Yuuri didn't have time for her before Worlds. As she reached the rink, she took a deep breath and pushed open the door, wondering what was in store for her this season.

Last edited:
April 2020

Elisabeth had caught word of the new rink opening in March. When the legendary couple had opened up a rink and offered coaching, the ginger had immediately signed up. She had doubted at the time she would make the cut, her scores being less impressive than most of the other people auditioning. With that in mind, she decided she would drop out of college after the semester to focus on skating if she got into the new rink. The young woman had practiced day and night until the audition date came in April, just after worlds. The audition requirements were slightly unconventional, involving less jumps and technical elements than she had expected and focusing more on performance aspects. When she walked in on audition day she was shaking in her boots - well, her skates. Elisabeth could hardly remember actually performing, but she remembered clearly getting an e-mail alert that Victor and Yuuri had posted the list for who they'd decided to take on. She was on the list. The bottom of the list, but still present under "senior division ladies single". She called her sister immediately who had screamed so loud Elisabeth's ears had been ringing for hours afterwards. Not long after getting off the phone, she logged into her University account and put in the request for withdrawal.

April 2021

The season hadn't been as fantastic as she expected. The training regime had been bordering on impossible between conditioning, dance, and the actual skating component. Elisabeth had scored higher than in previous years, actually securing a place on the podium at the GPF for the first time since leaving the junior division. She hadn't been so fortunate at worlds though, placing sixth, name barely making the TV screen listing. She was disappointed with herself, but nevertheless proud of what she had accomplished. In the past year she'd landed a triple-flip triple toeloop combination for the first time, albeit imperfect, but it was still a significant accomplishment in her mind.

The young woman had been at the rink for a little over half an hour, spending most of that time waiting for the caffeine boost from her coffee to wake her up. Elisabeth knew today was significant. Not only was another person joining the rink, but the start of the next season, the season leading up to the olympics, and discussion of program themes would be happening within the next few days.

Last edited:
Claire didn't recognize the girl already at the rink. Hold on. Wasn't she the girl who got bronze at the GPF? It had been her last competition before the accident. Still, Claire couldn't be bothered to know the names of half the pairs at Worlds last year and while she had looked up Mila Babicheva, Sara Crispino and Mai Mihara's programs for research, she hadn't looked much further than that. But she couldn't be bad if Victor and Yuuri were coaching her.

She wondered what Victor and Yuuri were like. They were new enough at coaching, they hadn't developed a reputation yet, although everyone praised Victor for his choreography. She remembered how they blew up Twitter and Instagram with their kiss and engagement. She supposed she was lucky that the ISU didn't allow same sex pairs or else they would certainly have switched and trounced everyone with their quad flips and mushy romantic connection.

Wordlessly she sat next to the other girl and started lacing up.

Elisabeth noticed as the other girl sat next to her. She didn't recognize her from around the rink, but vaguely remembered seeing her at competitions along side a man for pair skating. Elisabeth had never spent too much time watching pair skating, not that she didn't appreciate it or enjoy it, it was just a matter of time. Despite her slight ignorance, she was fairly certain the girl sitting next to her had won gold in a previous year. The ginger finished lacing up her skates and started to comb her fingers through her hair to get it untangled enough to be put in a ponytail. She waited another moment before speaking.
"Hi, I'm Elisabeth." She introduced herself with a smile as she finished tying up her hair before extending her hand to her new rink mate.

Claire was glad the other girl had reached out. She felt awkward doing it but she could be friendly enough.

"Claire." She took the hand offered and shook it. She smiled. "Claire Wu. I'm your new rinkmate, I guess. Unless you're not studying under Victor Nikiforov and Yuuri Katsuki?"

She wondered how many other skaters were studying under them, and how many of those would be here today. She knew Yuri Plisetsky did. Many exhibitions started later in the month and the majority would probably be gone for a few weeks. That was good. She'd get more one on one time with her coaches.

"Yeah, I'm your new rinkmate. I've been studying under Nikiforov and Katsuki for about a year now." Elisabeth responded with a smile. "Nice to meet you, Claire."

Elisabeth stood up from the bench, balancing effortlessly on her red, white, and blue striped skate guards. She checked her coat pocket to make sure she still had the thumb drive with possible music selections on it. The skater wanted to be ready for when she was asked what she wanted her theme to be unlike the year before when she had been caught off guard without any solid ideas for themes. It had turned out fine, but it still made her feel incompetent and this year she didn't want to start the season off like that. She wanted a solid foundation.

Claire nodded. "Likewise, Elisabeth."

She noticed the tri-color skate guards. Her accent denoted France unless Monaco also had the same colours.

She tied up her hair into a ponytail as well.

"Let's go." She said. She walked on her blue skate guards towards the rink. Inside, there were 3 people, Yuri Plisetsky was leaning against the rink boards with his arms crossed and an angry expression on his face. The other two Claire recognised.

"Claire! I didn't know you'd be our new rinkmate!" Michelle bounced up to her. She and her partner had landed just off the podium at worlds this year. "We're so sorry to hear about Alex and your injury. Who's your new partner? Is he showing up?"

"I don't have one." She said. "I'm switching to singles."

Michelle gasped. "Oh Wow! And I looked forward to competing against you again..."

"Yeah... I did too."

A sad silence fell over them, but it was broken by a figure bursting through the doors.

"Daaaaaahhhh! OMG I'm late again!" Kenjiro Minami pulled at his bright dyed blonde and red hair "Huh? Yuuri-kun and Victor-san aren't here yet?"

"Tch. That piggy and old man are late again" Yuri spat.

"You should really set and alarm, Ken." Elisabeth recommended with a small laugh. The boy had a habit of being late to practice that had gotten him in trouble more than once.

Justin, Michelle's partner, stopped his warm up when he saw the two females walk in, skating over to them. He recognized Claire immediately oA f course since they'd been skating in the same bracket for years. "Hey! Welcome to the rink, Claire." He greeted her. Quietly he was glad that she was no longer skating in pairs since that gave him and Michelle a better chance at the gold.

It was a few more minutes before Victor and Yuuri strolled into the rink, holding hands.

"Sorry we're late!" Yuuri apologized to their students.

"We would have been on time, but someone didn't want to get out of bed." Victor smirked playfully at his husband(probably at this point), eliciting a deep blush from the Japanese man.

Yuuri blushed beet red "Vitya!" he shouted at his husband. "Don't say vulgar stuff like that,"

Victor just laughed and after a while, Yuuri's embarrassment seemed to subside.

"Umm... we'll discuss programs and themes tomorrow." he addressed the group in front of him. "Today, you may have noticed, we have a new student with us. This is Claire Wu. That's Yurio, Ken-kun, Elizabeth and Justin and Michelle but I'm sure you've already met."

He introduced everyone. Claire waved.

Yuri looked ticked off. "That's not my name." But everyone seemed to ignore him. This must be a regular occurrence.

"Claire, show Yuuri what you can do. Everyone else, focus on technical elements with me." Victor said.

Claire was a bit disappointed. She wanted to work with the famous Victor Nikiforov and really improve her jumps, which Victor excelled at. Apparently, it showed.

"Don't worry, Victor will work with you after lunch. You'll also have to hang back a bit more to discuss your training regiment after practice."

"I... I didn't mean..." She tried to stammer.

"It's fine" Yuuri reassured her. Still, Claire felt bad. "Can you still do a triple Lutz?"

Elisabeth went along with the other rink-veterans over to one side of the ice where Victor started talking about the importance of learning new jumps and new jump entrances in order to surprise the audience which got an annoyed scoff from Yuri.

"You don't think it's important to surprise the audience, Yurio?" Victor asked, cocking his head to the side and placing a finger to his chin with a grin on his face.

"You're the only one who worried that much about that, geezer." Yuri responded bitterly.

Elisabeth watched as Victor completely ignored Yuri's backtalking. She couldn't understand how the blonde had so much opposition towards the coaches when the rest of them drank up every word of advice they could.

"Right, so as I was saying." Victor continued with offering ideas for each of them to improve their technical scores by adding certain jumps, giving broad recommendations before pointing to Elisabeth. "And what do you want to surprise the audience with this season?"

Elisabeth thought for a moment before responding. "I want to be able to get the triple flip-triple toeloop combination in the second half." She knew it was a bit of a lofty goal for her. It was a difficult combination she struggled to complete when her energy was highest, let alone near the end of a program.

Claire fell on her first try but landed the second one.

Yuuri pursed his lips. "Not bad for someone recovering." He admitted.

Claire didn't want to admit she'd been practicing for a month. Jumps had always been her and Alex's strong suit. Their throws... well those had needed practice.

"Try picking up speed. Like this."

Yuuri started skating backwards and reached back with his right arm and foot and. He slammed his toepick into the ice before launching into the air and landing on the right back outside edge.

That was the advantage of having a young coach, Claire guessed. Her old one had never shown her jumps in person, relying instead on online videos. She nodded and tried again.

Before they knew it, lunch was upon them.

Everyone gathered in the lobby of the rink.

"We should go out for food to celebrate Claire joining the rink!" Minami declared.

Yuri clicked his tongue in passive agreement as he looked at his phone screen, scanning the texts and shooting off quick responses, his fingers hitting audibly hitting the screen.

"It's a wonder you haven't cracked the screen hitting it that hard, Yurio." Justin smirked at the Russian before given a thumbs up to Minami. "I'm in. We gotta give her a proper welcome wagon."

Elisabeth laughed at Justin's comment before walking over to Claire. "So, what do you say, want to grab lunch with us?" she asked with a smile. She knew from experience changing rinks could be hard. She was among the first skaters to skate under Victor and Yuuri, but before that she was the new girl and at the time her English wasn't very good which made the transition even more difficult.

The rink was bound to be a very multilingual place. It wasn't uncommon for Victor and Yuri to speak in Russian, or Yuuri and Minami in Japanese. Even Victor, Michelle and Elizabeth communicated in French with each other, although they sound very different with Victor's Russian accent and Michelle's Canadian dialect. Claire knew french relatively well, although it wasn't her first language.

"That sounds great. Any places in mind?" Claire said.

"Let's go to that ramen place on Dundas."

"I dunno... Those portions are pretty big" Michelle frowned. "What about our diets?" She the slimmest and shortest of the lot.

"I think it's fine." They heard Yuuri say behind him. "It's the start of the season. You'll work it off."

"That doesn't reassure me" Claire muttered, but nevertheless, the group set off to the ramen shop.

"If you don't want to finish it you can always take the rest of it home for dinner." Elisabeth suggested to Claire and Michelle, noticing their hesitance about breaking the normal training diet. The red head was notorious for taking leftovers to go and then eating it for breakfast or a midnight snack.

"Or you can just give what you don't eat to me." Justin suggested to his skating partner. The male skater had always been blessed with a fast metabolism.

"Idiots." Yuri rolled his eyes. As much as he feigned apathy and disinterest, he really did enjoy the ramen restaurant. It reminded him of the one in Hatsetsu.

Claire nodded. She wasn't afraid of gaining weight. She was afraid of whatever Yuuri and Victor were going to do to punish them for this indulgence.

Claire had always been on the heavy side and her diet allowed for more food. Its one of the reasons she healed so quickly

It wasn't long before they were seated inside the small shop, crammed shoulder to shoulder.

Predictably, Yuuri and Victor got a Pork Katsudon and a big bowl to share.

Michelle ordered the Miso while Claire ordered the Black Garlic Tonkatsu.

"Why can't you two just get your own meals like normal people!" Yuri yelled at the couple after telling the waiter his order. As much as the skater actually did like katsudon he generally refused to order it on principle, instead opting for the simple (and generic) Teriyaki Chicken.

Elisabeth carefully looked over the menu before deciding on curry udon, the same thing she got nearly every time they came to the restaurant. She had tried bites of a lot of the other dishes and enjoyed them, but inevitably she returned to the same item.

"Come on, Elisabeth, branch out and get something else for once!" Justin urged the redhead after putting in his order for the chef's pick sushi.

"I got something different last time!" Elisabeth answered with a chuckle. "Plus, I know this will keep well in the fridge."

Claire nodded, suddenly regretting her order. She had a feeling Justin only ordered sushi because Michelle was currently scooping half of her ramen into an extra cup.

"Hey, you should really try the place next door sometime, maybe when you have a season off." Everyone tried to look past the implication of injury. "It makes amazing northern Japanese style curry, they have katsudon too, but their best by far is the beef one. Its amazing! My parents used to take me to it as a treat as a kid but I didn't have it again until this year,"

Claire's instinct was correct, Justin fully intended to eat what Michelle didn't eat of her Ramen.

"That sounds like you with your katsudon, Yuuri." Victor said before anyone had the chance to fully understand the implications, a heart shaped smile on his face.

"I-I guess, yeah." Yuuri responded.

"Maybe we can check it out after this season." Elisabeth suggested. The fact they were breaking their diet today was because of a special occasion - to welcome Claire into the rink - but Elisabeth doubted an occasion to eat even more decadent food would come up any time soon.

"Maybe we could get one serving and share, each of us try some" Claire said eagerly. "I'll treat you all after I win gold at the Olympics."

She realized it was an arrogant thing to say and maybe a bit unfair to Elizabeth. She wondered how her rinkmate would react. She hadn't said it matter of factly or confidently. A little bit like she was trying to convince herself. But she knows she could. And its what she was going to aim for.

"Oh is that a challenge?" Elisabeth asked with a laugh. She knew it was unlikely she'd win gold, but that doesn't mean she wouldn't try her hardest. She's never been overly competitive, but friendly competition is right up her alley. Elisabeth was sure, however, her theme this year would be great and she hoped her PCS would be high enough to edge her way onto the podium. Gold was the goal, but bronze was the more likely outcome. She'd joked once or twice that if she shined the bronze medal right it would look like gold. It amused her sister, but not much anyone else.

"Remember when I said I'd treat you to marriage after you won gold, my love?" Victor asked Yuuri... or more whispered in his ear just loud enough for other people at the table to hear.

"Gross." Yuri scoffed as he texted Otabek. The time difference between Kazakhstan and Canada was a pain considering Yuri was just eating lunch and Otabek was probably getting ready for bed.

Claire smirked at, a competitive glint in her eyes.

Michelle groaned, covering her face with her hands. "How many times have you told that story?" She whispered behind her fingers.

"Hold on, I haven't!" Claire protested. She had read the puff pieces in magazines provided at competitions when she was bored but was eager to hear the whole story.

Yuri looked distinctly pissed off at Claire, unhappy he was going to hear the whole story again.

"47 at my last count." Elisabeth answered. She hadn't actually counted, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say Victor and Yuuri had told the story that many times if not more.

"About to be 48." Justin sighed before the happy married coupe launched into an account of the story.

"Umm well, before the Grand Prix Final in Barcelona I wanted to get a good luck charm so I bought the rings." Yuuri started, only to be interrupted by Victor driving home the point that they weren't just rings, they were engagement rings. "Yeah, so anyways, at dinner my friend Phichit mistook them as wedding bands and before I could correct him Victor told the whole table that they were engagement rings and he'd marry me after I won gold." The Japanese man was flushing deeply.

Victor, on the other hand, decided his husbands retelling of the story wasn't grandiose enough and proceeded to tell it yet again with tons of hand movements terms of endearment.

"49." Elisabeth corrected her count after Victor's tale was over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back