• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Godsword - Fate of Naedria [CLOSED]

MrReaves

Steamlord
A pair of mules pulls a wooden carriage over a cobbled street that winds between fields of grain and pastures. The driver, dressed in plain farmers’ overalls, peers out at the valley from under his cap when the cart crests a hill. The sight never fails to fill him with awe, even though he sees it monthly, when his wares are brought to the market at the foothills of the greatest city in Naedria.

A city in levels, of stone and brass, great pillars supporting platforms stacked partly over one another like scales; rails snake above and between them, carrying people and goods on skytrams. It climbs to the base of a sword that has been stabbed point-first into the river valley, rivaling a mountain in size, and in the light of midday its stone gleams as though it were steel.

The farmer remembers asking Father what had carried the Godsword, and Father had recalled the Time of Titans. For days after, he’d awoken to nightmares of creatures that could crush his town underfoot.

The mules comes to a sudden stop and bristle when they spot a figure approaching on the side of the road. He does not need to wait to hear the hissing and rattling; the marching gait is unmistakable. The farmer jumps from his perch to take his mules by the reins and still their nerves, but his own heart flutters when the Stiff closes in, and comes to a halt not five feet from him.

The man of brass plates and steel bolts, carrying a halberd and glowing with an eerie green light from within, fixes its cold, pupilless emerald eyes on him, making unknowable assessments. The farmer can think of nothing to do but tip his hat. A few more terse seconds, and the Stiff’s head snaps away and it marches off. The man releases his held breath shakily.

“The Stiffs keep us safe?” His father had spat once. “From bandits, sure, soldiers and wolves, and things that live in the dark. But not from their masters, not from mages. And a man with any brain fears mages above all.”

Before the farmer climbed back onto his carriage, he picked up a pebble from the road. With a call, the mules began to move once more. He opened his hand and looked to the pebble, which softly rose an inch or two from his palm on a stream of the faintest white light.

He’d held no secrets for Father. None but this one. It would’ve broken the old man’s heart.

~~~

Phicus gave the door to Master Gütrichs' magisterium two sharp knocks, a feat given the thickness of the stack of paper in his hands. A mechanical eye set into the richly decorated wood sprang open, looking him up and down with a glowing purple iris set in black stone, before retracting. The door then split down the middle and its halves retracted into the wall with a soft scraping sound, permitting entry.

His master only gave him a glance from the workdesk riddled with finely crafted metal parts and old, dusty tomes. As he approached, he tried not to look out the tall windows to the city sprawling far below. "Yes, Phicus, what is it?" Gütrichs started curtly, his attention focused on a glowing instrument before him.

"Sir, the Captain of the Tempest Guard thinks it time for you to see to the Artifice Knights." The scribe-assistant replied. "Preliminary testing of the arms- and their wielders- has yielded no dangers to the Fragment stability, so with your approval of the lineup, we may move on to the next phase." Master Gütrichs arched an eyebrow. “If I did not think Leanna could procure a workable lineup, I would not have asked her.” He grumbled. Phicus nodded. “It’s a formality, Sir, but an important one, I’m afraid.” With a sigh, Gütrichs arose from his high-backed swiveling chair. “I suppose I might as well see whose hands my creations have ended up in.”

“The subjects have been gathered on the Guard’s grounds, Master. Sixth Circle.” Phicus said, trailing out the door behind the magister. “Shall I call for a private skytram?” Gütrichs did not break his brisk gait. “Nonsense. We will take the lift and be there in half the time.” He replied, to Phicus’ dismay.

On the outer balcony of the Seventh Circle, the city’s highest and smallest plateau housing only the Assembly’s most important members, laboratories and seminaries, a large cylinder of wrought steel and glass stood separate from the grand halls. Within, a circular walkway surrounded a central spire with brass teeth, which large gears and a complicated mesh of wires and weights allowed the walkway to ascend or descend.

Gütrichs activated the lift with an idle wave of his hand over the tablet on the inner fence, and it rattled to life, descending with some speeds. As it dropped through the circle’s floor and then revealed a bird’s eye view of the Sixth beneath, Phicus gripped his papers with one hand and kept the other firmly on his focus, a wand of ivory tipped with drakeglass.

His master spoke up over the clunking of gears, surveying the city with hands clasped behind his back. “Since it is only my approval we wait on, I am to assume all went well with the passing of the project’s motion?” Phicus did so wish his mentor would keep the slightest bit up to date with things outside his laboratory. “By a certain definition, Sir. The Exalted Council was split, and it only passed by a difference of one vote.” He replied. “Some, naturally, would support any project you deem to put your name to, let alone head. Others saw good reason to explore the potential of the Fragments as a method of bolstering the ranks.”

Phicus rustled through some papers at the back of his stack to scan the transcriptions. “The detractors seemed mostly concerned over the sheer amount of requested resources being allocated to a project with a… volatile track record, when several others of the Assembly’s ventures are already stretched thin.” He continued. “Then, a good number protested the idea of allocating the Fragments to young, unproven novices rather than, say, well-trained Champions.”

Gütrichs scoffed. “Last that I checked, our preeminent Champions are quite busy keeping back the Unmade Kings’ forces, and the fiends of the night, to name a few.” He said. “They do not understand that there is no greater test for these armaments than to be wielded by the spirited and inventive. A Champion would wield a weapon exactly as it is intended; these youngsters will push them to their limits, in ways we will not expect.”

“I hope more will come to see it that way, Sir, before the first assessment is held.” Phicus agreed tentatively. “I somewhat suspect that the disapproval may have been in part due to the ‘lowlier’ backgrounds of some of the prospective knights.” He admitted.

~~~

Leanna Thaumatan, sometimes-mercenary, currently Private Envoy to the Office of Iziquil Gütrichs, observed her team from the balustraded platform from which steps led down to a cobble square. The straw-and-burlap dummies, at the very least, were no match for the young fighters she had set loose on them so their familiarity with the weapons they had received only earlier this morning could develop. They already seemed like an ensemble in their Ivermore uniformers - black pants, white blouse, deep purple waistcoat, though none were wearing the cumbersome black overcoat in this heat. Though the warmth of late summer was nearly too much in her armor, Leanna had respite from the shadow of the Godsword that seemed to be almost cleaving the Circle in twain.

When she heard the clunking of the approaching lift, she brushed a few loose strands of hair behind her ear and leaned on the balustrade with her arms crossed. The old wizard was dressed in opulent and immaculately kept robes of blue and gold, peering at her with stony eyes set deep in a wrinkled face, over a voluminous white mane that fell to his navel. He approached with his scribe in tow, a subdued man whose largely unkempt black locks of hair and stubble spoke of many missed hours of sleep. “My Envoy.” The old man said by way of greeting, and Leanna returned a nod. “I’m afraid that since our last consultation, I’ve been quite preoccupied in my workspace. Care to enlighten me about your endeavors, and the state of our newest regiment?”

“Sure.” Leanna said. “Per your advice, I took to Ivermore two weeks ago. The administrators were not too charmed the idea with bringing their novices into armed conflict, but interestingly, the mention of your involvement seemed to open many doors.” Gütrichs gave no sign of finding this in any way surprising. “Word travelled fast, unfortunately, that I was recruiting for something unique- not even what, and yet the little tykes beset me. I spent most of two weeks weeding out the mages who felt they deserved my attention merely for their name.”

“I filtered my options by every directive you gave me. I looked for novices with training in armed combat, not just arcana. Once I had a shortlist, I let them show off their craft to me, even sparred a few.” Master Gütrichs piqued a brow. “And did any prove an even match?” Leanna couldn’t see if he was smiling, but thought he might be. “Of course not.” She replied. “But how long they held out, and how they handled losing, gave me some indication too.”

She motioned for her employer to step toward the balustrade and survey the team. “You asked for five, and these are the ones I felt most secure in. They’re spirited, show potential to grow. All have much to learn, naturally, but most of them had to fight to even get into Ivermore. I took the liberty of having their arms of choice prototyped by the artificers. Pending your approval, they’ll be implanted with the Fragments following the initiation ceremony.”

Gütrichs clasped his hands. “Very well. Talk me through each of them, the pertinent qualities.” He said. Leanna pointed to the figure furthest to their left, a tall and broad-chested young man who could be mistaken for older with his scruffy, straw-coloured beard. He was hacking at the straw dummy with precise jabs and cuts, arms straining. “Nagengast, of Altricht. If you’ve never been, it’s a quaint place. Values its traditions. He’s the last in a line of noble soldiers, and they aren’t fond of the Assembly, but he’s more than proven himself.” She started. “His mentors call him diligent, if not particularly given to the arcane- except a subset of metamancy concerning sound and vibration, which he excels at.”

“Vibromancy?” Phicus piped up. “Right. Of the pupils who’ve shown martial gifts, he ranks near the top, but I truly felt there was virtue in his inclusion after we sparred. He grandstands, plays the fool, but he’s as strong as he looks and equally swift. He knows to use the reach of his poleaxe to his benefit.” Leanna continued. “He’s gallant, a good sport even when I knocked him on his ass. You’d be hard-fought to find a better figurehead for this group, and I don’t think he would mind.”

She indicated to the second novice from the left. “Jamrock, of Valley’s Edge.” The short, red-gold-haired girl seemed to have no trouble lifting her sizable staked gauntlets and making fast jabs at a dummy that had already broken in a places. “She’s a special case; came recommended by Master Adniel, who apparently met her in Valley’s Edge and was taken by her skills in tinkering.” She said. “Not long after returning, he apparently pulled some strings at Ivermore to have them offer her a full scholarship, and it’s not hard to see why. She’s prodigious. Even the gauntlets we made for her are based on her own designs; she was using drakeglass shells to amplify explosive cavitation spells. Frankly, a miracle she never blew her arms off.” Leanna mused. “She learned not just to mine with them, but take down the denizens of caves, too. She’ll do more when the Fragment powers her gauntlets; she won’t be limited by shells, just by how well she controls the power.”

Leanna thought back to her interviews and sparring with the girl. “She’s not the kind of disciplined, trained fighter you’d find in the ranks of Champions, and her bodily strength may be underdeveloped, but she’s got the vitality to get back up quickly when she’s knocked down. She’s steadfast, never gives in and has her heart in the right place. There’s not much more we could ask for.”

She looked to the third Knight-prospect. The taller young man with short-cropped black hair was using his hands much like the girl, though his weapons seemed much smaller in make, wristguards and brass knuckle-caps with intricate wiring between them. Currently, he was honing the strength of his jabs- not much else he could do against the stationary target. “Yangero, of Gelwave, and thus unsurprisingly, a healer. Far more skilled at that art then any other field of arcana- seems to resent that fact, though.” She told the wizard. “Transferred to Ivermore at the start of this year to further his education. All the teachers I asked, though, say he barely scrapes by with his theorem work for lack of effort, but that he aces his practical exams. He was pleasant but impassionate, until we stepped into the ring; doing fisticuffs with him put a fire in his eyes.” She watched Jaro dance on his haunches, keeping balance from every angle. “He’s tactically minded, driven to fight, and with his abilities he can keep the team in shape. There wasn’t a reason not to include him.”

Master Gütrichs’s gaze had already drifted to the next subject. Each time the fair-skinned, blonde young man struck out with his longsword, small wisps of blue flame seemed to flare from his skin even though the weapon was unpowered, as though he could scarcely contain it. “Celestine?” The old mage inquired, and Leanna gave a nod. “Well spotted. Weisse Feonix, latest in a long and honoured line of pyromancers. He has an exceptional record at offensive elementalism- in fact, I caught rumour he was sent here to control his powers rather than grow them, after he set alight the family’s estate. A diligent student, apparently, even if his powers do not seem to stretch beyond fire.”

“His name should lend some credence to the Artifice Knights.” Phicus mused aloud. “It’s quite possible.” Leanna replied. “At any rate, he is a powerful combatant; doubly so once his longsword is powered and channels his art at higher efficiency. To be truthful, he actually challenged me when we sparred; I could tell he’s been honing his swordsmanship since he could hold a blade.”

“A valuable asset, then.” Gütrichs noted. “And the girl?”
Leanna looked to her final acquisition, the girl who was striking true on her mark with a rapier, despite the fact that a crimson cloth had been wrapped around her head, obscuring her eyes, stark against her auburn hair. “The wildcard. Casanova, of Sycaria.” She said. “Heiress to one of the great crafters of Sycarian steel blades, for all that’s worth today. Lost her sight after a duel gone awry, is all I managed to sniff out; and yet, she hasn’t slowed.” There seemed to be a hint of admiration in Leanna’s voice. “She has drakeglass prosthetics, but isn’t dependent on them. I thought there would be a little challenge in fighting a blind girl, but it’s her psionism and divining skills that have kept her formidable, all things considered. She sensed the vibration of my movements through the stone, my essence through psionic wavelengths, and put up a fair fight without even involving her prosthetics. Only to prove something to herself, I think.” She shrugged. “I’m eager to see what else will become the girl. And her story may be the most inspiring of all.”

The old wizard Gütrichs turned to Leanna. “I can’t see a fault with the novices you’ve selected. You have my blessings to continue with this lineup, Envoy. As well you knew.” Leanna nodded in agreement. The old man would never have denied her and have her waste another week or two finding new candidates, anyway. He had more pertinent matters to attend to. “The initiation ceremony will be prepared for tomorrow’s eve, then. Since the Knights fall under your purview, your presence will be required for the swearing-in.” She cocked her head. “Perhaps a short speech would be in order?”

Master Gütrichs grumbled something into his beard, and sighed. “I suppose it’s to be a historic occasion, if the concept of the Artifice Knights proves itself. Very well, I will attend.” He inclined his head. “Lady Thaumatan.” He said, and departed. Phicus gave a friendly wave before following the elder mage back to the lift.

“I neglected to ask before, Phicus…” Gütrichs started when they reached the platform and the glass door fell shut. “Whose vote did we swing to our favour to pass the motion unadjusted?” Phicus looked to his papers again. “That would have been Grand Consigner Brae Ashfield, Sir. On the grounds that, I quote-”He pulled a face. “The pupils of a Fifth Circle institution are, if nothing else, expendable.” Master Gütrichs did not reply. From behind him, Phicus could not see the shadow that befell the old man’s face.

~~~

Leanna pushed open the oak door with her pack of novices in tow, most of whom seemed to be varying degrees of elated and intimidated by the earlier news that their inclusion in the rank of Artifice Knights would soon be fact (even if the rank had only just been invented, and none knew what it truly entailed). They stepped into a large open hall, lit by gaslight and sunrays coming through the roof half constructed of glass set into iron frames.

It was a sober quarters by Sixth Circle standards, and therefore luxurious to most of its new inhabitants. One of the long walls was split into two levels with various rooms- as they would later uncover, a large enclosed kitchen (surely manned by staff around mealtimes), bathing amenities (with hot water available through brass taps!) and an open storage on the ground floor. Above that, six evenly spaced doors with nameplates (one empty) set into walls of plaster and wood, which led to bedrooms with ample furnishing. A set of wide stairs wrapped around the lower storage up to the gallery of bedroom doors.

Before them as they entered was a large dining table with heavy oaken chairs, but the rest of the hall seemed taken up by two features; a square platform walled on three sides by stone, targets stacked in the corners, and secondly a library with seating and bookcases filled to the brim, as well as a table laden with alchemical instruments and a few tinkerer’s choice pieces.

“We did this up before you were even picked.” Leanna started, her voice calling the immediate attention of the Knights; they had learned, if nothing else, to listen closely to Lady Thaumatan’s every word. “It should serve every purpose it needs to further both your education as arcanists, and your training as Knights. This all may seem like great privilege, but do not forget you will also be held to higher standards than any of your peers in Godsword.” She assured them. “What exactly your responsibilities will entail is nebulous to you still, I know- this is a tumultuous and unsure time for us all, frankly. Much will be cleared up following your initiation and the start of your training proper.”

She looked to the weapons that the former students of Ivermore still held on their person. “Keep your armaments close. They are not, as you know, completed, but they are priceless artifacts by their make and much of your future will depend on your handling of it. For now, grow accustomed to one another’s company. Your cohesion is as vital as your individuality, though much of it will come with time. You will be awoken at dawn tomorrow, and are expected at the same Guard’s field as today at seven-thirty sharp.”

She calmly made for the door, but turned to face the crew again just before stepping through. “Oh, and since I was assured of your participation, I took the liberty of using your measurements for Ivermore’s school uniforms to have your armors crafted. They’re on stands in your bedrooms. Wear them to training tomorrow.” It was all she had to say, but still her gaze lingered for a second on their wide-eyed faces. In the chaos of stringing together a project this great in scale in so short a time, it had become easy to forget who they were drawing into the ranks. Children, they looked like to her. Would their missions ever lead them into greater danger than any their age should face?

“Rest well.” She said, and pulled close the door.

~~~

OOC NOTES;
  • As indicated, the weapons are currently unpowered as the Godsword Fragments are not yet implanted. Play them as if they are regular, if supremely crafted metal weapons for now.
  • Over the past two weeks, the PCs have been officially removed from their studies at Ivermore and fallen under the employ of the Arcanist Assembly, specifically the department of legendary artificer Master Gütrichs who is renowned for his hand in the inception of the automatons that ended the Totality Wars. They have been kept largely in the dark and know only that they are part of a project to test the efficacy of a new genre of weaponry that is not enchanted in a normal fashion, but will be powered by some unheard of, much greater source called a “fragment”. A fragment of what?
  • “Champions” are defenders of the realm, who carry both blades and spells to enforce the might of the Arcanist Assembly. The Artifice Knights won’t quite be Champions- not lesser than, but just different altogether.
  • The armor is part leather and layered fabrics, also partially enchanted platemail covering the vital areas, arms and lower legs, all in a colour scheme of immaculate white, cerulean, and chrome. It would likely be slightly personalized to your character to optimize their fighting efficiency- feel free to use your imagination!
  • Contact me in the OOC thread or PM with any further questions if you get stuck or are unsure on any matter.

“Ah! Good old Leanna!” Gunter said, taking a deep breath, a wide smile on his face as he took in their new surroundings. “She certainly knows how to make such an exciting moment sound like a funeral and a lecture at the same time, doesn’t she? But that’s just part of her unique charm, I think. What a lovely place this is!”

He looked to his compatriots, putting his hands on his hips.
“Do you think the new armor looks good? Or if it doesn’t I could make some alterations to it? What do you think?”

He just so happened to be standing next to Milly, and so that’s who he directed his questions to. Not because they were particularly close. He only really knew her from the few classes they’d had together. He knew the short girl to be clever with her hands and friendly, but not too much beyond that. He was excited to get to know her though, and the others as well. He’d need to work with some of them on their style. A few of them were very lacking in that department. But that could come later.

He took his hat off of his head, holding it in his hand. Today it was a red and black starfish cap, adorned with a single white feather. It matched the rest of his clothes, which were mainly a dark red, except his puffed sleeves which were black. He had dressed unassumingly today.

He began to wander the dining room, looking up at the rooms above, looking for his own.

“Even if I can’t change the armor I’d bet they’d let me keep the hat. Or at the very least put ribbons in my beard! I bought a few blue and white ones, to match the Artifact Knight colors!” He said conversationally, turning back to the others to see how they were taking their new quarters and Leanna’s words.

Weisse stood before miss Leanna; She had been looking for unique artificers. Weisse, at the time, felt more like he was an uncontrollable destructive force. Even though it had been half a decade since the incident, and he has come a long way in controlling the fire, he still couldn’t get it to disappear. When Miss Leanna had found him, she asked him to display his abilities in a sparring match with her. Weissed tried to only rely on his sword skills and just when he thought he had her on the ropes. When she got serious, it was blatant that there was no way he would defeat her.

Taking a step back, his form was more relaxed than most using an arming sword. The handle was crafted longer though the sword was still light enough to wield with one hand. The blue flames that licked the air around him didn’t seem to generate heat around him, But even in the heat of the day, Weisse hadn’t broken a sweat. Perhaps the fire inside him burned hotter than the temperature of the air. His focus was impeccable, to say the least, as his stance never changed while he stood in striking distance of his sword. Seeing Dummy made him think back to leaving Ivermore. The flames freely lapped at the air in some ambiguous form that had a mind of its own. He had finally gotten it to a point where it wouldn’t burn anyone who tried to shake his hand, but it was still as obvious as the mark on his left hand—the circle with the bird in the center resembling the phoenix.

When he swung the sword, there was a trail of blue flames that followed, but on his last swing, an underhand attack from his left hip. Weisse made a fist, the fire that was once free around him trapped in his left hand, burning a brilliant blue light. The attack sliced the dummy, and his hand opened in what seemed like a palm strike. The fireball flew forward with force, looking like a ball of light rather than a ball of flames. When the fireball hits the dummy, it explodes into blue flames that burn the dummy to ash, leaving the wooden stake intact with only a black mark.

At least he was getting the hang of how much strength he was putting into his fireball. This was a milestone in his training. However, it was short-lived when Miss Leanna had come to gather them from the training field. Weisse gathered with the others, sheathing his sword. He changed the position of his sword to keep it from getting caught up in his walk. She leads them towards a building that stood majestically like the others. With the stone walls on the outside, the architecture is crafted to be artful but strong. A testament to the time the city of Godsword has stood and will continue to stand tall with pride. Weisse had seen similarities from Celestine but nothing of this scale. The intricacies of the mechanics in the lifts were remarkable. He had never seen anything like it. The city of Godsword was mechanical as it was magical.

Weisse followed Leanna with the others into the building through the heavy oak doors where there was a grand dining room where there was an oak table surround by chairs made from the same oak. The chairs are decorated with the same colours as the entirety of Godsword. Blue cushions on the seat, white cushions on the chairs' backs, and the cushions are outlined with gold trim. Weisse took in the grand hall where they would be staying for the duration of their training to become Artifice Knights. Weisse looked to the largest and the oldest of them all. Gunter said some rhetoric about Miss Leanna; the large teen went on about the armour, making Weisse curious about his own.

Weisse went up the stairs passing the set of rooms with nameplates; he wondered who the nameless room was for. Weisse continued to the room with his name entering. It was plain with a stand holding the armour. He looked at it with a smile on his face admiring the craftsmanship, but one could expect nothing less from the city of Godsword. The fabric underneath the armour was a deep royal blue. The armour was mostly blue with white accents. He looked at the helmet and thought it would block his vision some, but that would be better than the alternative of not wearing a helmet. Weisse left his room, wandering to Gunter’s to see if it was different knocking on the door before entering whether it was open or closed. “Hello, I’m Weisse.” He introduced himself.

Valerie's heart leaped into her throat as she was reminded exactly what she signed up for. To become an Artifice Knight, a person of high standing among one of the most powerful of government organizations there is, or so she's been told. Every second not spent studying was spent sword fighting, and when that wasn't being done it was growing used to her abilities as a psionist. Her hands were warm in her taut leather gloves as they started to sweat with anticipation. Soon, she would be able to grow even stronger than she was before and have her revenge, but as it was rudely pointed out to her, she simply wasn't ready to take that old bastard on yet. Leanna had bested her in combat after a drawn out duel. Val would anticipate a strike, and it would come. Leanna would feint and slash, and Valerie would parry and riposte, sensing each strike through the stones on the ground and the faint flash of thought that heralded another strike. However, as often as their swords clashed, the young swordswoman, despite her best predictions and judgement, wasn't quite able to tell every movement from the disciplined mercenary, and her opponent got the better of the blind girl, who had learned the hard way that she was outmatched.

But that was then, and as she danced around the dummy, practicing her footwork and testing her precision, she couldn't help but think how much stronger she had become. Only months before she would've found trying to navigate, nonetheless attempting to train a difficult endeavor. She plunged her blade, and it found it's mark true in the dummy's hide. Her prosthetic eyes were useful, sure, but it required a lot of concentration to use effectively. Perfect for reading books, moderately useful for walking around. Trying to fence an opponent whilst simultaneously casting spells? Nearly impossible. As much as her new eyes were convenient, she knew she couldn't use them as a crutch. Another stab, and her blade bit into the straw. Perhaps all of her studies would pay off, and she might have some sort of simulacra of sight, or she would continue to live in darkness.

A voice, one that often was louder than anything she was doing, called her and the rest of the initiates to attention, to follow along and keep up. It took her time to sheath her sword properly, as the sheath usually found itself discarded on the ground, and it took more time to actually sheathe it since it didn't hang in a predictable place on her hip. She had stabbed herself in the hand the first few times she tried to sheath like she usually did, but she learned quickly that it took time to do a lot of the things she found were once easy, and sheathing her sword was definitely one of them.

The sound of marching feet on stone was easy enough to follow, especially when the air felt less windy as they entered a building of some sort. From the echoes and the click of boots on stone to the familiar echo of shuffling feet on wood, she figured that this place was probably...

Somewhere nice? Most of the places here were nice, or at least from the silence and lack of retching when people usually enter places of squalor or sighs elicited from areas of mediocrity, it was at the very least quite nice. She would have to see for herself. Valerie tapped the end of her cane into the ground twice, and she felt the room suddenly come into view as a small wave of sound washed over it. It really was big, wasn't it? A grand table with plenty of chairs, piles and shelves of what she could assume to be books as she'd gotten quite used to recognizing them even with her echolocation. She felt a large empty space with many tables, either a mess hall or a kitchen, and a hallway above that led to a few empty rooms, probably classrooms or quarters, likely the latter. She even felt her nameplate rattle in it's place as her sound wave gently passed over it as well, which confirmed her belief.

As with any new place for her, she had gotten used to the fact that learning the area is important, and that meant walking around it a whole bunch. Everyone began to disperse and wander off, and so did Valerie too, but not to her room. She decided that walking around the grand hall a once or twice would probably help her get used to the room so that she didn't end up bumping into things, and off she went.

Basking for a moment in the rays filtering from the skylight, Jaro imagined for a moment that he was back home, but when he lifted his gaze to peer through the glass, he saw no ocean, only the reaching points of spires and the grand city reaching towards the heavens. It had already been a few months since he'd moved to Godsword, but the young man wasn't sure that he'd ever quite get used to the way the circles seemed to layer atop one another. They just seemed to go on and on, a sharp contrast than the more egalitarian spread that he'd grown up in- they somehow seemed much more demanding. Seeing as how he was already situated in the Sixth, though, Jaro thought to himself with a smirk, he supposed moving on up in the world- literally up, in this case- couldn't be all too difficult to do.

The rest of the hall, however, was both comfortable and familiar, especially the alchemy table shelved away against the wall, surrounded by bookshelves. A reading nook and library, eh? Books held to him little interest, but there were probably reference texts to recipes and ingredients, if he found the time. But these were shared arrangements, weren't they? If he wanted to play around with potion-making, Jaro supposed that he'd need to do so in moderation, just in case anyone else was thinking of using them. Not that he minded, of course- as long as no one was breathing down his neck to make sure he was heating herbs to just the right temperature to bring out their 'rejuvenative properties', he'd be one happy ex-healer.

Now that he thought about it, though, would the other four even like mixing and measuring? He'd only chatted with them briefly, if at all, and none struck him as the particularly bookish type. Jaro was rather grateful for it, though- he'd met enough eggheads and lab-warmers to last several lifetimes! Being around fellow fighters- well, perhaps counting himself as a bona fide boxer was a bit of wishful thinking, but ah well- really brought out his energy.

Saluting sloppily to Leanna as she made her leave, Jaro visibly perked at the mention of their armor. So... was that it, then? They were Artificer Knights, just like that? Well, you wouldn't see him complaining about it! Bring on the baddies, he was ready to give 'em the old one-two!

"Is Leanna really that harsh when she speaks?" he asked absently to Gunther's comments. "Never really noticed. Kinda just figured that was how all soldiers spoke." Though he supposed that the other young man would know more than he did, if the rumors he'd sleepily overheard at Ivermore were true and Gunther came from some fancy mercenary culture. As he headed off to check out his bedroom, Jaro noticed that Valerie seemed to hang back, the periodic tapping of her cane seeming to echo in his ears as he quickly left the room.

It wasn't that he had anything against her, of course- she would certainly finish him in a duel, and it wasn't as if she went out of her way to be a pain. They hadn't spoken much at all, but from what he'd she didn't seem particularly easygoing, and Jaro wasn't about to be the first one to catch the brunt of her anger. So it wasn't anything having to do with respect or competence, it was just... well, he'd heard about blind people before, everyone had. But he'd never really seen one. With Gelwave the way it was, he'd always just assumed that the blind and maimed were biproducts of a bygone age.

It was uncomfortable how different people were outside of the city- even visitors usually seemed to be rather sanitized.

Finding his room plain and clean, much to his liking, Jaro wasted no time locating the armor. Scratching at the six or so hairs on his chin as he admired his tailored armor, Jaro let a pleased rumble escape his lips. Blue and white weren't the most exciting colors in the world- not to him at least, or anyone from his hometown, since the city was mostly constructed of white shalestone and aqua glass- but he supposed they worked together just fine. He turned his personalized weapon over in both hands. The metal bracing of his knuckles connected to wires around his wrists, and he couldn't help thinking that they were just like the skeleton of a glove. Well, if gloves had bones, that is.

What did it feel like to put on? He'd never actually worn armor before, and he was still rather fatigued from punching the training dummy over and over in vital locations. Maybe after dinner he'd have the energy to try to figure out the buckles and belts- or at the very least, he'd ask one of his teammates about it. They seemed to know more about all of that than he did.

For now, though, Jaro left his room and headed back out into the hall. The arrangements were sweet, sure, but had the Assembly left them any food? They couldn't be expected to save the world on empty stomachs, could they?

Millia Jamrock
Current location: Artifice Knight Dorms
"Haaah!!"
A roaring battle-cry bursting forth from her deceptively diminutive frame, the world a blur of motion around her as she boldly surged forward to meet the mighty fiend of straw and timber that stood before her.
She could feel the weight of her gauntlets, a steel pendulum in motion as she cocked her fist back, a lethal battering ram as she pivoted her weight to send it surging into the dummy's barrel-like chest. The meaty crunch of straw and wooden frame giving way to crushing drakeglass came to her in response, the towering figure's form warping and buckling beneath the force of her blow.
Instinctively, she released the small bubble of energy she had been holding onto, tucked neatly into the small, tiny compartment of air just above her forearm, right behind the one hundred twenty two-centimeter long, twenty-five centimeter wide cylinder of pointed death lying in wait within a rifled chamber just above her wrist.
Like a predator smelling prey, the stake bursts forth, plunging it's tooth savagely into the straw mannequins body, and under the two-fold bursts of force, the dummy's upper body explodes, leaving naught but a brilliant, hapless cloud of straw and fibers.
Pulling her fist back, the little knight huffed a short sigh of relief, wiping her brow with the back of one of her gloves, before brushing off what stubborn remains of her hay opponent still stuck to the other.
Another flex of her fingers, and the massive nail retreated swiftly back into it's chamber with a heavy, satisfying hiss.
--Just as she had designed it to.
---
And thus ended another, enlightening day of training for young Milly Jamrock!
Just as exciting and educational as the one before, and the one before that, and the first day that she had arrived at Ivermore, and as exciting as the day that she had been welcomed to the esteemed halls of the Artificers!
Every day since she had left her home, and arrived on the surface had been full of new revelations of a world she'd never known, and even the smallest wonders had left her rapt in attention.
She could still scarcely believe it. If not for the weight of the gauntlets on her arms, she would think it still some dream.
And, oh! What beautiful gauntlets they were!
The drakeglass alloy composition that made them heavy enough to exert sizable force, but light enough to carry, the skeleton of inner mechanisms that let her manipulate the fingers as easily as her own, the air ventilation and shock absorption system that allowed her to fire her pile-bunkers with maximum force, and minimum recoil!
It was all of her best ideas, and many more forged together into a pair of pure, perfect machinery!
Or...almost perfect, as she had been lead to believe. There was still some vital mystery component that had yet to be added.
Nonetheless, she was more than thrilled to have the chance to use them, even having the privilege of being able to test them on a live opponent in Miss Thaumaten, who had taught Milly well that she was a far different animal than any cave lurker or coal thug, and that the usual, full-bodied swings that she employed, as potentially devastating as they could be, meant nothing if her opponent had the skill and intelligence to avoid them.

But now was not the time for her to bask in her own pride and joy, or reflect on her lessons; their teacher was calling, and Milly knew well that she ought to heed her.
---
After a short jaunt through the halls of the Assembly, Leanna took hold of the heavy, ornate oaken door that she had been looking for, and threw it wide open, revealing to Milly an immaculate, multileveled dorm, greater than any house she could dream of, enough to make any governor back home green with envy.
She instinctively adjusted the goggles atop her head, feeling dizzy looking upon all there was for her to use, a pane of glass giving a view to the orange and golds of the afternoon sky, a fully stocked and staffed kitchen, complete with a self-heating oven (she would be taking a close look at that later), a communal bath with hot, running water, and not a single geothermal reservoir in sight (she would look at that too), and an extensive library, complete with an alchemy table and a full kit of tools at her disposal!
She was intruding by being here, a mere common laborer in the house of a god, shoulder to shoulder with nobles and kings, but the ornate door that was stamped with her name was proof that that wasn't true, she was exactly where she needed to be.
Leanne's voice brought her back down from her starstruck reverie, the announcement coming after both promising and foreboding.
Milly was little shaken by her words; whatever the future may hold, she was well prepared face it with a smile.
And as for keeping her armaments close, well...she probably would be bringing those gauntlets with her to bed anyways!

With little else to say, Leanne left, shutting the door behind her, and leaving the young knights together in silence.
A silence that was short-lived, easily broken by the bombastic dandy at Milly's side.
In her time on the surface, she had seen many things that she would never see on the surface; the starlit sky, wide, green plains of grass, strange, bat-like creatures with peculiar fur that shone with every color of the rainbow and strange, cone-shaped mouths of bone.
But none of them were quite as otherworldly to her as Sir Gunter Nagengast.
It was a common saying in Valley Edge that "silken gloves never touched the wooden shaft," a cynical phrase spat by every worker in contempt for the men who commanded them from the comfort of their offices, but Gunter seemed intent on breaking that notion, along with many, many others, being of somewhat noble birth (or at least dressed like it, in Milly's mind), and yet showing himself to be well versed in the ways of battle.
Unfortunately for Milly, however, despite her knowledge in the art of machinery, she could scarcely wrap her head around his lectures on the importance of "Aesthetics," "Color Theory," or "The Importance of Having the Right Accessories to Match Your Boots With Your Hat."
"What it looks like?" Milly hummed in response to his inquiry, thinking back on what the common uniform was worn by the guards.
"Well...It looks like the standard here is leather and fabric layered together for comfort and movement, with an extra layer of chromium-steel alloy for the more vital bits. If it's anything like Miss Thaumaten's there might also be some drakeglass inclusions, for that little bit extra protection," Milly thoughtfully explains, before giving her large compatriot an enthusiastic thumbs up, insightfully adding, "Pretty high-quality stuff! Definitely able to take a blow or five!"

With that addressed, Milly was left to decide how next to spend her time.
Gunter did not wait for an answer, eagerly taking flight to inspect his new armor, with that nobleman soon following after.
It would be tempting to try the baths, and then inspect the amenities of her room, but she was still far from ready for bed, despite the day's exhausting events.
Looking towards the main hall, she found that blindfolded girl wandering about, which was enough of a sign for Milly to keep a fair distance.
She felt no ill will towards Valerie. Far from it; the legacy of Sycarian steel was still quite known throughout her hometown, though it now saw more use now in other products, instead of in building instruments of war, as it had in the past, and her mechanical "eyes" were also of great interest.
But alas, she was a noble, even if from a family considered fallen, and she had an aura of hostility that made approaching her a strenuous task.
Perhaps one day, she'd work up the nerve to ask for her eye and her sword, and what great things she would learn then!
The library and tinkering table was, of course, next on her list. The prospect of seeing what new toys she had to work with, and finding something to test them out on, had her practically drooling...or perhaps that was just the emptiness growling in her stomach. She hadn't eaten for quite some time, after all.

Gunter certainly would have to work with Milly some time. The girl didn't seem to know a coif from a cap! She was smart, that was for certain. Gunter was no slouch when it came to the sciences, but she outstripped him by a country mile in that department. But he could say for certainty that he still had much to teach her. Perhaps she could join him when he made alterations to his armor, if that was allowed. Make some alterations to hers.

"I'll certainly keep that in mind, Milly!" He said, putting his hat back on his head and heading up the stairs, having spotted his room. "I was a little more concerned with the stylistic nature of the armor, but it's actual protective qualities are almost as important!" When he reached the top of the stairs, he noticed Jaro heading towards the kitchen.

"Jaro, my wonderful friend! While you're there, could you search for a little wine or, better yet, something stronger? I'd like to celebrate, all together, as a team, before we go to sleep tonight! We've all got to get along, and a little liquid fire does wonders for bonding amongst friends, I've found! Especially when it makes you do something stupid. Being able to blackmail each other for the idiotic things we do is a great way to become closer!" He wasn't sure if Jaro was watching or not, but he gave him a big smile and a wink, before turning around and heading towards his room.

When he arrived he didn't touch his armor. He ran his fingers through his beard, circling the armor, inspecting it with a critical eye. Blue and white could be flamboyant, but not here. Not on this set of armor. It didn't look easy to alter. He saw the dragon-glass additions, underneath the leather, shoring up the structure of the armor, like Milly had predicted. Dragon glass wasn't something you could simply bring to a tailor to have refitted! This might be a challenge!

There was a knock on the door, just as Gunter was pulling out a few of his ribbons from his bag and comparing them to the color of the armor.

"Come i---" But before he could finish, Weiss was already opening his door and stepping inside.

"Hello, I'm Weiss." He said, though he must have known Gunter had at least known his name already. As with the others, he didn't know Weiss terribly well. They ran in different circles. But he did know Weiss was from a rather important family, and bore the mark of a pheonix. People noticed Weiss, and he was a skilled swordsman, to boot. Gunter already felt a certain sense of rivalry with the other boy, simply for all the attention he got, and for his martial prowess which contended with his own. It irked him that he had chosen to simply enter his room without waiting for Gunters permission, but there was no need to be impolite in return. Gunter, more than anything else, was quite skilled in the art of only letting people see the emotions he wanted them to see, so he presented his usual smiling face without pause or any evidence of his irritation. Perhaps it was an honest mistake. They were all in a new place, and likely disoriented.

"A pleasure, Weiss!" Gunter said, straightening, sweeping his black and red feathered hat back off of his head before going into a theatrical bow, hand and hat to his heart, other arm outstretched. "I am pleased to be known as Gunter, with the added pleasure of bearing my venerable mothers last name, Nagengast! What brings you to my room? I mean no disrespect, but I have to warn you it's quite a dangerous proposition to be entering my room without waiting for my permission to enter!" Gunter abdicated his bow, and then leaned in towards Weiss, putting a hand to his face and dropping his voice to a stage whisper, as if imparting a secret. "I enjoy sleeping in the nude. So perhaps a moment's wait, next time? At least until I tell you its safe to come in."

Last edited:
“I-I… I didn’t mean to intrude. My since-sincerest apologies.” He had been excited to meet the others he would be sharing quarters with that he hadn’t remembered to be polite and well mannered. Gunter’s words had left him more embarrassed than barging in without permission. He had started turning red and fumbling over his words. When Gunter placed his hand on Weisse’s cheek the fair skin boy turned even redder and if steam could come from his ears it would. He left as quickly as possible not sure what to make of Gunter. He had seemed so pleasant and yet so menacing at the same time. It was as frightening as it was intriguing. It was enough so that Weisse hadn’t even paid attention to the room itself and thus had no idea if Gunter’s was the same or different from his own.

Weisse briskly walked down the hallway not looking back over his shoulder in fear of seeing something lewd if he did. He headed down the stairs to see what the others were doing. Reaching the bottom he turned to the dining hall. He surveyed the area it would see the others have been exploring. Perhaps he should do some of his own. Weisse hadn’t been surprised by the lingering words of Leanna, he already had his father’s expectations and even worse he hadn’t been home since he burned the estate down. Nonetheless, he had to uphold the importance of his family name and serve as a knight with honour. Enough of that. Weisse thought as he continued to explore his redness fading from his encounter with Gunter that had left him flustered and confused.

Weisse thought it was a good idea to explore the building with the others, getting familiar with everything would be important if this would be a permanent residence. He first walked along the table admiring the craftsmanship. He spent a short time at the training area there was nothing special there just a place to sharpen and practice the martial skill. He would have to ask Jaro or Milly to help him with his hand-to-hand combat as he was very much lacking in those skills. He knew basics but they seemed to understand it on a much more effective level. He looked at all the dummies then moved on.

In the library with the well stocked bookshelves and the seating with the same lavishly upholstery. The table with alchemical tools to craft potions and other gadgets that would be useful for their missions. His weakest class among them all was Alchemy. Up until recently his fire magic had been too volatile to take part in alchemy classes as his flames could ignite a lot of the ingredients that would used in the laboratory. But, Weisse was most excited about the books, his father had read him historical epics from the Celestine libraries. But these were new books with new knowledge. He wondered if there would be anything about the mark in the library. Weisse walked along the shelves browsing, looking at authors and titles.

He looked to the tinkering table spotting Milly who was oogling the table. After browsing the library a little longer than he was in the training room he thought to check the kitchen but he also thought of checking the bath. But that could be done later, for now he would return to his room and retire his sword as there was no sense carrying it around the house. He wasn’t expecting an attack so he didn’t need it. He stepped out into the hallway closing the door behind him wondering where he should go first. He decided to return to the Library trying to greet any of the others he might find as he ventured through the house.

Well if the pantry was anything to go by, Jaro thought to himself, they certainly wouldn't be wanting for comfort anytime soon. There wasn't too much- your average assortment of fruits and grains, jams and preservatives, and even some dried jerky! He'd assumed that they'd be fed the same slop and gruel that common footsoldiers ate, but then again, the newly-minted title 'Artifice Knight' was meant to mean something, so it made sense that the assembly would spoil them just a bit. The young knight couldn't help but frown at the empty icebox, though he supposed that it would be unrealistic to expect that their new abode would come entirely stocked. Guess it was time for a shopping trip into the city when they had time. Or they could just eat in the training hall's cafetorium, as had been the norm.

The training hall eats were edible, but nothing to write home about. Sure, he needed protein to stay in tip top form, but he'd at least like to know which animals his stews and soups came from. Relaxing a bit from the cool air of the device, all but sticking his still-steamed-from-sparring face into the damn thing, Jaro was quick to peek out as he heard someone call his name.

Hastily, he closed the icebox, noting that it was a similar build to the one in his parents' house with a rudimentary battery core that kept the container cool with ice magic visible on the side. "Well, I'll let 'cha know if anything changes, big guy, but so far, there's not a droppa the good stuff!" He returned at high volume, clearly amused by the prospect of drinking games. Maybe it would be a pretty good way for everyone to loosen up a bit. Not that he'd ever done much drinking before, but he'd watched his favorite fighters throw back pint after pint and step into the ring only wobbling from headshots, so how hard could it be? "Maybe we could check if there's a first aid kit somewhere round here though! Bound to be some rubbing alcohol or a few painkillers that no one'll miss."

Actually, maybe that was a bad idea, especially since Jaro was already having difficulty convincing Leanna that he'd be wasted as a healer. It didn't help when she had access to all of his records, though.

Dinner should probably wait until after showers, or until more of them were out in the main room, but he was hungry now and it wasn't like they were having a three-course meal. Now that he thought about it, now that they were on the Sixth, they'd probably have private chefs and shoppers to take care of all that mundane stuff. It wasn't all too late, after all, so he supposed that their meal would be served... around mealtime. "It's a good thing they thought to give us snacks, though," the mage thought aloud to himself, "don't think I could wait all that long."

Stuffing his face with crackers and meat sticks, Jaro all but ransacked the pantry, leaving out the bags of everything he'd eaten, just in case someone else wanted to accuse him of eating it all. There'd be plenty to go around, he was sure- and if not, he'd just toss the wrappers while everyone was busy wetting themselves over the sick new armor they'd gotten.

Step, step, step, tap.

Step, step, step, tap.

As everyone else left, Valerie was left to her own devices in the main hall, glad to not have spectators watch her as she bumped into table ends or accidently nudged a few chairs out of place. It was embarrassing for her, especially since she could see if she really wanted to, but practice was always practice, and she wasn't going to rely on her eyes when she couldn't do it when her life or the life of her friends were in danger. To be fair, she didn't even really know if she could call them friends yet. She didn't really know them all to well outside of class, not that she bothered to ask to begin with. Gunter was loud, in all sense of the word. One of the few times she caught him while she had the blindfold off was one of the few times her eyes refused to cooperate at the mere sight of something, he was simply so bright when she looked at him. Mercenaries always had their different styles, and she was sure her family may have sold their steel or hired people like him before, and she had seen their plumages and pomp, but she still couldn't believe somebody like him was here. It was like seeing a performer off stage. Magical, but strange, as if she was waiting for the character he was putting on to break, and for him to head backstage to take off the makeup.

Step, step, KA-CLUNK

Damn, hit a chair again. She should've been paying more attention. This was about her thirteenth time around the long table and she stopped using her cane as a tool to help her see and more as a cane, something to make her look fancy as she walked. Clearly, she wasn't quite ready to be lost in thought and walk aimlessly at the same time yet. Perhaps it was time to actually walk somewhere else, she was rounding her fifteenth circle at this point. She figured that everyone else was probably oogling their armor or taking a shower, training today was training as usual, but in the sun with all of their armor on, at least for her, left her a little more dirty than she'd like, and she didn't want to sit down in her filth for dinner. That would be absolutely unbecoming of her, nothing like she had been raised. Perhaps, she'd stop by her room and at least take off her gambeson and change her blindfold, perhaps a servant or something would get them cleaned for her if she left them out on her bed or something. A plan of action would probably come to fruition after she got comfortable.

With that, she completed her twenty-first circuit and went to find her room, leisurely tapping along with her cane to practice her echolocation skills, the edges of the hallway coming into view with each practiced prod at the ground. As she rounded to the stairs, she heard snippets of conversation above her.

"...but I have to warn you it's quite a dangerous proposition to be entering my room without waiting for my permission to enter!" Said a booming voice. Gunter, of course. She had to sleep a few rooms away from this man at night. She wondered if any of her fellow knights snored loudly at night or suffered from terrors. She knew for a fact she screamed sometimes, reliving her eyes getting ripped out of her head, but that probably wasn't really necessary to be told to anyone until after it happened, no need to have them pity the blind girl more than they already do.

As she crested the top of the stairs she caught the end of the conversation. “I-I… I didn’t mean to intrude. My since-sincerest apologies.” Said the refined voice, cracking with nervousness and embarrassment. Weisse, clearly. As much as she knew about him, which was that he was some sort of high-born fire mage, she didn't really hold too many opinions of him, asides from that he needed more of a backbone. She made a point not to acknowledge him as she walked past him, easy to do when eye contact isn't a thing anymore. Her room was towards the end of the hall, but she stopped at Gunter's door, striking it with her cane once, a loud wooden THUMP from the impact. "Knock it off with him." She droned, and as abruptly as she stopped, she continued onwards to her room.

As much as she wanted to keep on her blindfold, she wanted more to see the place she would be living in with her eyes first. She left her cane just underneath the door handle, just in case any surprise visitors thought it would be smart to try and walk in unannounced. Slowly, she peeled off her blindfold to reveal her eyes, the same gray family symbol where each of her pupils would be. Her eyes moved around as she squinted and blinked, the light shining into her prosthetics for the first time this week. Luckily, her prosthetics worked very much like normal eyes as long as she focused on seeing things clearly. Her eyes scanned over the bed, the light furnishing, and the armor that had been laid out for her. Blue and white. Not half bad, but personally she preferred red, black, and gold, proper Casanova colors, but she wasn't one to complain too much about it.

She tore off her gambeson and left her blindfold on her bed, leaving her in a loose white blouse. As much as she enjoyed the new armor, from the amount of it layered on her sword arm to ensure it's protection, to the built in sheathe, it was still armor, which she had seen more than enough of in her day. She was more interested in actually seeing the place rather than feeling the countours of it. She wrapped one of her other blindfolds around her forehead like a bandanna, just in case she started to get a headache from using her eyes too much, took her cane out from under the door and went off to the place of greatest interest first: the Library. It was usually quiet, had that nice smell of musty old books, and people usually didn't notice if she fell asleep or didn't bother trying to wake her up if she did.

As she walked in without the tell-tale sound of the cane following her, she realized that her usual, serene pre-dinner library nap may be less serene than she had hope for. Seemed that Weisse was here, and from the smell of it, Milly was here too. Destructive was the word she knew her by. Ironically, she was in the business of creation, making gadgets and whatnot that greatly improve her combat capability. She even heard that she built the pair of gauntlets she used by herself, which was impressive. It was what the gauntlets did, and what Milly was like on the off hours that left the type of impression on Valerie she had. The smell of burning was something she had grown accustomed to, which wasn't something she was proud to say. As much as the alchemy station belonged in the library, she really hoped these books were warded properly in case something did happen. Her eyes scanned the room once more, and she noted that only Weisse was here. She kind of wished she had her blindfold on as she made eye contact with him. Maybe, she would take the opportunity to build some sort of connection with somebody, since wandering around with her thoughts was sometimes a dangerous prospect for her, and with how today was going, she had a feeling she was going to take a long walk by herself tonight, as usual.

"Hey." She greeted before approaching him, planting her cane into the ground and resting her hands on it. "Did Gunter do something to you? I barely caught what happened upstairs and I'm just wondering if anything passed between the two of you." Her tone was monotonous, bored in a way, but her expression, especially her eyes, betrayed her concern.

Last edited:
Millia Jamrock
*GRRRRRRL*
At last, after a hard day of training, studying and preparing, came the true highlight of Milly's day.
She had been waiting to do it since the minute she had been allowed to lay her eyes upon them; the chance to sit down, grab a nice, shiny new set of tinkerer's tools, and thoroughly dissect the inner workings of her brand, new--*GRRRRRRL*-- gauntlets.
Her hands were a blur of precise, intricate movement, a surgeon inspecting a patient, as she dug eagerly for what knowledge the gauntlets held.
She would grab a tool in each hand, apply them with deft, trained expertise, before just as quickly putting them down to be replaced with another, her eyes never venturing away from the arm's interior, eagerly seeking out both familiar ideas of her own design, those anomaly, having been born of the higher artificers, and ways both machinations could yet be improved.
Nothing could break her infallible focus, least of all--*GRRRRRRL*--
the constant whining of an empty stomach left neglected...

With a sigh of defeat, accepting that she wouldn't be able to concentrate properly in her current state, she finally raised her head out from the guts of her creation, noting to some displeasure that her work had left her hands sullied with the dark, oily grease that ran through the "veins" of her gloves, which had mingled with the sweat, dirt and straw that still clung to her skin from earlier in the day.
Perhaps a small break wouldn't hurt Milly pondered to herself, wiping one her hands across her cheek, unintentionally staining it with the same, black paint.
---

After placing her reassembled gauntlets down lovingly upon her bedspread, and tucking them in for the night, Milly took the opportunity to inspect her new dwellings; several times greater than her dorm at Ivermore (at least what remained of it), a magnitude times more luxurious than her meagre dugout room back home.
And the centerpiece of it all, perched proudly and gallantly upon it's stand; her new armor.
As she had expected; a plate of chromium-steel alloy and included drakeglass would guard her chest, while her arms would be nearly entirely exposed, making more room for her gauntlets. Her legs were particularly well-armored, with thin, segmented sheets of plate protecting the sides of her thighs, and a pair of thick, heavy armor boots going nearly up to her knees would protect the rest of her legs, and help keep her feet planted against the recoil of her attacks.
Quite awe-inspiring, her head filling with images of herself, standing tall (well...maybe a bit taller...) and proud, with her feet planted firmly on the ground, her gauntlets on her arms, and a cocksure smile on her face, ready to face the evils of the realm, as she stripped off her dirtied uniform, and dove into her own personal bath.
---
Properly cleansed of any dirt and grime, and now changed back into the old, hempen shirt and blue slacks she left home with, Milly threw her door open, refreshed and ready to top off the day with a nice, relaxing dinner.
...Or so she thought, having opened her door just in time to see Weiss storming hurriedly down the stairs, his ears matching his cheeks; bright, cherry red.
Valerie's emotionless, yet harsh voice came after, Milly instinctively taking a half-step back to the safety behind her door as she heard her cane rap against Gunter's door, and then another as her unsteady footsteps grew closer, before they disappeared behind the door to her own room, two rooms over from Milly's own.
Cautiously peeking her head back out, she shut her room door behind her, scratching her head in bewilderment at what she could have missed in her absence as she descended down the stairs.
Moving past the dining hall, and replacing the odd chair or stool that had somehow managed to get pushed out of it's usual spot, Milly made her way towards the dorm kitchen, where the promise of delicious, stomach-filling snacks awaited her.
Pushing past the kitchen door, however, instead of the surface world delicacies she had been expecting to find, she was greeted by a growing pile of tossed away wrappers and bags, with a familiar silhouette behind them, digging through the ice box like a starved animal.
"Ah! Hey, Jaro!" she called out maneuvering past the small hills of trash left in the boy's wake.
Jaro was someone Milly had grown some small amount of acquaintance with; like her, he was a commoner, and an enthusiast in the sweet science of pugilism.
The usual reason they had any business, however, was Milly's accident prone nature, and Jaro's merciful, begrudging skills as a healer.
Finally reaching his side, Milly leaned on the tips of her toes, peeking her head over the taller boy's shoulder to glimpse a peek of what in the ice box he had yet to consume.
To her disappointment, it was all but nearly cleared out.
...Also, it was little more than a silver box with ice on the bottom. Not a single gear, wire or cord present.
"Anything you'd mind sharing with your fellow knight?" she convivially asked, savoring the sound of the self-appointed title like a fine wine.

Gunter blinked in surprise as Weiss rapidly retreated. He hadn't even gotten to find out what he had wanted!

Gunter cracked his knuckles and shrugged. Oh well. If it was that important Weiss would tell him later. He turned back to what he had been doing, when there was another thump on his door.

"Knock it off with him." Gunter heard Valerie say. He walked over to the door, and stuck his head out to protest, but she was gone already. She saw her enter her room, the one just next to his it seemed.

Gunter sighed, a frightened Weiss and an irritated Valerie wasn't good. He'd have to put his inspection on hold and make an appearance downstairs to soothe tempers and smooth egos. So he put his ribbons back in his pocket and exited the room, heading down. He spotted Valerie and Weiss conversing near the alchemist's table. It seemed to be a relatively serious conversation, so Gunter just gave them both a broad smile before leaving them to it and heading into the kitchen. Here he spotted Milly and Jaro. It seemed like Milly had just arrived, the same as him. Gunter put his hands on his hips, eyeing the bags of snacks that had been laid out, before grabbing one and beginning to munch on its contents.

"No luck with the alcohol?" Gunter asked amiably, munching on some sort of salty chip. He wasn't particularly close with Jaro and Milly, but they were probably the most outgoing of his four new allies, which might make getting along with them easier. What was more, he knew they were not affiliated with any powerful house or nobility like Valerie or Weiss were. While Gunter was from quite a wealthy family, they were still not nobility. They hadn't had any servants or tracts of land. Just a mansion that a companies worth of military veterans had pooled their money together to purchase and live in together. While Gunter was aware that it would come as a surprise to some, he very much identified with the folk in the lower social strata's, even if they didn't identify with him.

It was hard, after all, to see yourself as 'better' when half of your swarm of Aunts and Uncles had started off as criminals before meeting his mother, and the other half tended to get drunk at two in the afternoon and then throw a halberd through a second story window while attempting to imitate a battle maneuver that they used to be able to do when they were younger, in shape and a bit more sober.

"Ah. I shouldn't have come in here! It's making me hungry, just looking at all of this, but it's not quite time for a proper meal! Oh, the difficult positions this life puts us in. Satiate my needs now with snacks, or thoroughly enjoy a lovely large dinner but waste away presently on an empty stomach? Let me help you look, dear Jaro. They've simply got to have a little alcohol to hold me over!"

"Is it worth the waiting for?
If we live 'til eighty four
All we ever get is gruel!"

Gunter recited in a sing song voice as he went over the pantry that had already been pretty thoroughly sacked by Jaro. Not as loud as he would be if he was really trying to perform. It was just a silly song he and his Aunt Geraldine had made up when waiting for Uncle Ozter to finish dinner one day. He thought it had its roots in an old marching song that the Dopplesoldner used to sing, but he wasn't sure.

Every day we say our prayer
Will they change the bill of fare?
Still we get the same old gruel!
There's not a crust, not a crumb can we find
Can we beg, can we borrow, or cadge

He tried to catch Milly's eye, and waggled his eyebrows at her as he sang.

But there's nothing to stop us from getting a thrill
When we all close our eyes and imagine
Food, glorious food!
Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood
Cold jelly and custard!
Peas, pudding and saveloys!
What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys
Indigestion! "

Munching merrily on what appeared to have the smoky tenderness of a cattle jerky stick, Jaro nearly jumped as he heard his name, whipping around and holding bags of meat-snack-products in either hand. Raising them in surrender, the boy's frantic eyes visibly softened as he saw it was just Milly. Well, his surprised squeak proved a little embarrassing, but whatever. At least the flame-haired firecracker certainly wouldn't chew him out too harshly on being a total glutton. Not as long as he shared the spoils with her, of course! Out of all the other knights, the engineering prodigy was probably the one he'd had anything close to a rapport with, and only because she was the only one accident-prone and reckless enough to require healing every now and then. And the only one gutsy enough to straight up ask if he could slap her with those sweet rejuvenating waves, he thought with a smirk.

He could still remember the practical exam back at Ivermore, an exercise in controlling arcana. Compared to the grueling, repetitive trials he'd surpassed at the healing academy, re-growing a freshly chopped seedling was a joke of a test. Still, he knew that it was something that bent ears and had some tongues wagging, since most folks from his town had no need to enroll in Ivermore or move to Godsword when they had a perfectly good institution of their own. It was a bit of a burden, he supposed, but for all his dreams of being a real life fighter, the Gelwave native knew that all he'd ever be to a lot of folks was a healer. It all seemed a bit bleak when he paused to think about being surrounded by the weak and dying, but Milly wasn't like that at all! She was young, in tip-top punching shape, and besides, what kind of team mate would he be if he refused to soothe a scratch or besmirch a burn when it was all well within his abilities to do so?

And anyways, once he became a real good punch-thrower and grapple-grabber, everyone would see how useful he was on the front lines, especially his teammates!

"Aw, c'mon Milly, don't gimme that look. I ain't even touched anything from inside there! The icebox was empty when I got here, all these snacks were just from the cupboards I tell ya, the CUPBOARDS!" Jaro gestured wildly at the pantry, which at this point didn't seem to lack attention. Still, he extended the bags of meat sticks to her, as well as nodding at the bag of chips he'd spilled on the counter. "But someone's gotta eat all this crap, right, fellow knight?" He questioned with a mock bow, clearly amused by the title, though it wasn't something he'd openly admit, especially in front of Leanna!

Just when he thought that the kitchen had gotten lively enough, who should walk in but the gaudy grandstander himself? Jaro's shoulders arched a bit more at the situation- it was one thing for one of his teammates to catch him greedily gobbling all the snacks he could, but two teammates? The young knight merely shook his head sadly at the other's requests for alcohol, carnivorously chomping away at yet another stick as he did so. How would he ever live this down? Still, it was hard to stay apprehensive around the bearded blonde, and Jaro merely scoffed at the dilemma the other young man proposed. "You're talkin' crazy, man! Snacks won't spoil yer appetite, not if youse been trainin' all day!" Maybe if he could entice both of the others to chow down a bit, they couldn't drag his name through the mud.

Jaro was quick to weave out of the way as Gunter moved to salvage what remained of the pantry- it wouldn't be much, to be sure, but it wasn't like he was purposely trying to eat everything first. The brawler hoisted himself on the counter, bouncing his leg a bit in tandem to the landsknechte's ditty. Surely it required more than a bit of confidence and showmanship to sing as such, and he shot a confused-yet-quite-bemused look to Milly and shrugged, making it rather clear he didn't understand Gunter any further than he could beat him in either a joust or a style contest. Still, Jaro had been to more than enough cage fights to know that when someone put this much effort into their performance, it would be rude not to play along! Life was far more fun when people could see that.

The knight scratched his chin a bit at certain words in the man's song that stuck out to him. Crumb, beg, and rich gentlemen, for sure. It was funny, and certainly sounded arrogant to say so, but Jaro never quite realized how ordinary he was until he began classes at Ivermore. The concept of nobility was strange and wonderful to him- he'd heard all kinds of stories about princes and princesses, but fairy tales were often paired with stories from the war. Gelwave was, after all, a city formed by refugees who were saved by scholars and political enemies of the old order, the old way of doing things. From what he knew, entire countries would go to war on the whims of a single family, magic was policed by aristocrats of ancient bloodlines, techniques were kept hidden from the masses.

It was strange to think of himself as a commoner, even though he knew that objectively, the three of them in the kitchen were. Back home, those with the most powerful magic were considered the ideal leaders, but even then leadership just meant more responsibility and less time to yourself. Being a grand bastion meant that your life would be spent in service to others, not that you'd get to piss around in a magnificent palace and eat exotic fruits and drink wines all day. That's why, he thought, continuing to munch away at the meats, living in Godsword was so many times more interesting!

Containing his laughter at the other's song would have been nearly impossible, so he decided to just laugh and be done with it. "You've got a real set 'o lungs on ya, don't cha? Aw man, I'm sorry for eatin' all this meat you guys. It's probably the best snack they left us before dinner, since the crackers are pretty lame. I just get excited, is all, I never tried stuff like uh, 'beef' before comin' 'ere. Here, youse can have the rest," he offered, placing it amicably on the counter besides him and rubbing at his chin in thought.

Jaro stayed like that for awhile, sucking at his teeth a bit to get any stragglers, when he suddenly jumped from the counter and clapped his hands. "I've got jus the perfect idea! There might not be any wine fer us here, but if it's a strong drink or concoction yer after, Jaro's got a few mixin' tricks up his sleeves. It's positively something we shouldn't be doin', but we're knights now, right? And like the song said, 'there's nothin' to stop us from gettin' a thrill,' yea?" He could barely contain his excitement, rubbing his hands together so fast that they might start a fire.

Weisse browsed the selection of books, a mixture of encyclopedic, fiction, historical and more. He settled upon a history book, specifically about Godsword. He always loved reading about the places he visited or places of Naedria. How they were founded and the champions that helped the countries establish roots. He flipped through the pages reading at a moderate pace as he learned about the origins of Godsword. It was very interesting to read about the sword and the building of each of the circles. He still wasn't sure how many there were and how high they were. The sixth circle which they were situated on was fairly high in the hierarchy. From what he's read they were in what seemed like a middle ground. But maybe he was wrong about their social position. It could be a misinterpretation.

Hey. Weisse heard before him as Valerie approached him, he offered her a friendly welcoming smile. Making eye contact with her, his vibrant blue eyes seemed to have a surprised look in them as he noticed her pupils were her family symbol, were they her real eyes?

"Hello. You took off your blindfold?" He said with a slight blush in his cheeks when she asked him about Gunter. "I was so excited to meet you all I entered his room before he had given his permission." He left out the strange moment Gunter had, that was meant for a metal box that would be tossed into the deepest well and forgotten about. He chuckled and closed the book. Placing it back on the shelf memorizing where he had left off for a later time. How long had he been sitting in that chair? Weisse stood and stretched. Milly had left the table and library. "Shall we join the others and learn their names?" Weisse asked Valerie he waited for her answer, a calming neutral smile on his face as though it naturally rested with a smile on his lips. He'd venture out of the library with or without her but it would be nice to have someone to talk to on the way.

Basil Davenport walked towards the building he had been employed to. A step up from his previous place of employment. With him his kitchen staff. Handpicked for their cooking styles that all complemented his own. He had once cooked for the pricey and posh, but now they have him cooking for these new knights. He didn't really see what was so special he also had no idea who they were, what foods they liked, what kind of cuisine they were used to. Gotta love it when they don't tell you anything. Basil stands front and center with a total of five other members the completed his kitchen staff. They were all carrying ingredients for tonight's meal. Basil had stopped thinking about what they were used to eating and started planning out what he would cook. Prior to getting this close to the building he had stopped in the market and picked out some ingredients.

Chicken roasted with vegetables, herbs and spices some butter. His mouth was already watering thinking about the recipe, a garden salad and twice baked potato skins. Basil had made sure that he would have enough time to prepare this all when he set out to start the menu it was early. Now, just hours before mealtime. He pushed open the heavy oak doors that lead into the building, but the main building was empty. "Eh? Hello?" Basil called out his accent gave his voice a rasp when he spoke. He continued to walk through the quarters towards the kitchen. The rest of the kitchen staff seemed to be surprised by the building. Prior to this, they all had been working in a tavern. Moving up in Godsword, figuratively and literally.

Basil opened the kitchen door his face went from a calm almost dumbfounded expression to a furious grimace. "Out! Out! All of you out now!" Basil shouted angrily at the teens helping themselves to the kitchen. He turned and grabbed a baguette holding it like a club, ready to chase them all out with it. Even the very large Gunter wasn't intimidating to Basil as there was always one rule. Do not mess with the people who handle your food. Basil would swing the baguette at anyone lingering. What the hell is this? We've cooked meals for royal families, noble houses and they have me cooking for children! Frigging children!

Weisse still in the library about to venture out had heard someone arrive as the doors opened with a heavy groan from the tired hinges supporting their weight. A voice was calling out but what it was saying he couldn't be sure. "I think someone is here Valerie," Weisse said a little confused guests weren't expected so soon after being shown where they would be staying. He wondered as he wandered closer to the door, more curious than anything. Who was here and what were they here for? Weisse opened the door forgetting if Valerie had agreed to walk with him to join the others. Speaking of which, where had they gone, Milly had just left. That's when his own stomach had started making noises demanding food.

Valerie's eyes strained as she scanned Weisse up and down. It was tiring to use them sometimes, but she managed, putting on a forced smile as the boy acknowledged her lack of a blindfold over her eyes. "I still had to read the books to learn half of the things they taught at Ivermore." It wasn't untrue either, that's what she mostly used her eyes for. Reading, eating, people-watching when she got bored. The amount of times she jammed food into her face by accident really let her know that she either needed to work on her hand-eye coordination more (which was odd for her, she was a fencer after all) or eat with her eyes open. One was less embarrassing than the other.

"Shall we join the others and learn their names?" At this point, Valerie realized she had been staring at Weisse's face, brow furrowed, eyes dead set. She didn't even really catch what the deal was upstairs, but honestly, it probably didn't matter that much. "Sure, that sounds fine." What was she here to do again? She anxiously tapped her cane into the ground as she tried to jog her memory, but the pyromancer was already up and out of his chair. Right, she was here to read a book and take a nap, but she hadn't taken her bath yet, she was still dirty from the training today. What would her father tell her? "Valerie Castello Casanova! Have you been swinging that thing around all day again today? Mamma mia, augh, you reek like a dock worker! That is no way for a young lady to smell, take a shower this instant, lest I take away your lessons for the next week!" She shook her head to herself as she imagined her father, soot covered from a day's work jabbing a finger accusingly at her.

Valerie followed closely behind Weisse as they both began to leave, but her mind still remained on what Weisse said as they both went to leave. "Don't we both already know all of their names?" She silenced herself as Weisse called out a surprise visitor to her. Perhaps a test? It had to be. She put a hand on his shoulder as they both edged towards the door, slowly pulling him back into the library. "This could be a test. People entering unannounced and unplanned is something the Assembly might pull on us, just to keep us on guard." She slowly started to unsheathe her cane sword as she stuck her head out the door.

As far as she could tell, they shut the front door behind them already and had ventured deeper into the building. Her blade clanked as she quickly sheathed it and began to track them, closing her eyes and tapping her cane to the ground. Little shockwaves passed through the air, giving her a feel of the building and the people in it once more. There were about six people moving at a brisk pace towards the kitchen, where she spotted another three forms, which she assumed were servants since they were in the kitchen to begin with. "Six people, heading towards the kitchen. There's about three people in the kitchen already. These newcomers could be more servants, or something else. They're moving with some haste, so if we want to catch up with them we should go now, but I don't think it's anything too serious."

"Probably."
She stepped out of the library and kept a somewhat fast walking pace as they trailed the unidentified intruders, with the intent to confront them with force if necessary.

Millia Jamrock
"Hehe! If you say so, fel-low knight!" Milly jovially laughed in response, snatching the pack of meat sticks right out from Jaro's outstretched hand.
The taste and texture of the dried jerky reminded her so much of home, where packages of sodium and protein, built to last through even the toughest of days, were such a hot commodity.
It was so common, in fact, that most working-class houses had a station reserved in their kitchen or attic reserved solely for the process of it's creation.
It wasn't quite what she remembered, however, being made from the fatty meat of cattle and pigs, instead of the lean, hearty meats of tunnel vipers, bugbears, and Rats Of Unusual Size that she was used to.
How strange, the tastes of these surface people sometimes! Milly quietly reflected to herself, helping herself to another bite.

As if by cosmic happenstance to her quandary, the strangest surface dweller of all made his dramatic reappearance, bursting through the door with all of his usual flair.

For a moment, the memory of earlier events, Weiss's mortified flight down the stairs, Valerie chiding the bombastic gentleman, came into her mind, along with the nagging desire to ask him what exactly had transpired.
But then, in a move that far exceeded Milly's expectations for his absurdity, he abruptly broke out into glorious song.
Singing was surprisingly common in Valley Edge, despite what many might think; men and women sang together as they worked, their hammers and picks forming a beat of ringing steel and clattering metal that rang out from the tunnels, harmonizing with the songs sang by their neighbors.
Men and women sang together as they drank, the smashing of cups upon tables and the cheers of their comrades echoing from the taverns all throughout the night as they sang of their hardships.
The men and women would sing after their drinking had been done too, not very well, usually, but singing nonetheless!
And so, if there was anyone at the assembly who could appreciate the songs sang by the working cloth, it was Milly, who stood, star-struck, a wide, ecstatic grin on her face as she clapped to the imaginary rhythm created by Gunter's voice, crescendoing into a rapid-fire burst of applause as he finished.
"Here, Here!" Milly cheered, shooting an expectant glance back towards the bewildered boy at her side.
In her enthusiasm, she hadn't heard the kitchen door opening behind her.
"Y'know, I, uh, might not be allowed to drink after that whole incident where I almost burned down the east wing, but I still know a couple of nice drinking so--ACK!!"
Whatever thought Milly may have been finishing, it was superseded with a sharp, startled cry as a loaf of long, hardened bread came down ruthlessly on top of her skull, coupled with the furious, accented shouting of it's wielder.
"Out! Out! All of you out now!" the chef roared in indignation, violently swinging around the baguette with all of the rancor of a man forced to tend to the needs of a group of children.
Throwing up her hands to protect herself from any more of the cook's crispy, crunchy wrath, Milly panickily grabbed hold of a single remaining package of crackers, and fled out the kitchen door, into the main hall.
To her surprise, the two nobles were out there to greet her, seemingly oblivious to the scene behind her.
Like a deer caught in the path of a caravan, Milly froze beneath their shared sight, her eyes wide, hands still clutching her head in defense.
"Uh..." she dumbfoundedly began, before straightening herself out, putting on her best air of grace and dignity, which every self-respecting knight should have.
"Good afternoon, good sir and madam!" she began, her attempt at sounding refined and cultured sounding forced, and foreign, coming from her tongue.
"It appears that dinner shall be ready in but a few moments."

Gunter was having a good time until the chef came in.

Milly and Jaro were being good sports, moving to his song and even giving a rousing 'here here!' when he was finished, which Gunter absolutely loved to hear. He perked up at the idea of brewing their own alcohol. He had no idea how to do it, not quickly, anyway, but if there were two people here who would it would be the reluctant medic Jaro or the mad scientist Milly. Gunter was about to suggest making the attempt post haste, when they were summarily evicted by the small, angry man that Gunter could only guess was their chef.

People who took their food seriously could be extremely protective of their kitchen, Gunter knew. Despite his size, the only thing he could do was conceded to the other mans wishes, chief among them was to 'GET OUT'.

So they did.

On the other side of the door, they were met by the curious faces of Weiss and Valerie.

"Dinner might be ready soon," Gunter said, agreeing with Milly, "But I'm a tad worried about them spitting in our food now! I haven't seen someone that angry in a while. I suppose we did make a mess." Gunter grinned at Milly and Valerie.

"Well. It seems that we're all together now and that food is being prepared. I suggest all sitting down at the table and giving it a moments wait. I'm hungry myself, but a nice conversation is usually able to distract my rumbling belly."

Gunter clapped his hands together, and headed to where the dining room table was. He planted himself at one end of the table, at the head of it.

Weiss was still looking a little red, Gunter noticed as he passed. He hoped there weren't any hard feelings. Perhaps he had gone a little too far. Then again, hopefully that meant he'd wait a moment next time, before coming in.

Gunter put his hands in front of him and waited for the rest of the group to join him.

Leanna caught every glance thrown her way as she walked the marble streets at sunrise. Some were plain curiosity at the sight of someone not Champion, mage or staff in the Sixth Circle; some were of evident disdain and accompanied by grimaces. They’d never be so bold, she mused, if they caught word of her lineage; the Thaumatan name came with a burden of expectation, but equally a certain measure of respect, enough for her to keep the name when all other ties were cut.

The Knights’ lodgings were a decent walk from the centre, sat among storehouses and staff quarters, and even further from their appointed training grounds and the grander barracks of the orders of Champions. Sure, they were only temporary quarters, meant to bridge the gap between the project’s shaky launch and its anticipated but Leanna hoped it would keep the youngsters from falling prey to lavishness or delusions of grandeur, or any such ails seen all too commonly in the highest echelons of fighters. In truth, she was glad the responsibility of mentoring a new rank of protectors had befallen her. There were none she trusted as much as herself, to train them to have real impact on the sorry state of Naedria- not just live large as trailblazers of another exciting technology.

The usual crew of uniformed stewards awaited her at the grounds. “G’morn, Lady Thaumatan.” The lead, a man of perhaps forty who tipped his hat, greeted her. “Are we setting up the targets again today?” Leanna returned his greeting with a bow of the head. “No need, practice will be a little more lively today.” She replied. “Actually, I would appreciate a few sweatrags, canteens of water and medical kits. Chances are they’ll make use of those.”

~~~

The Knights had made it to the grounds in time, all looking fairly refreshed and sated. Standing at attention in front of Leanna, she regarded them, hands clasped behind her back.

“Artifice Knights, tonight’s the eve of your initiation.” She started. “I’ll deliver more news when your training concludes. Focus on the task at hand- practice is not just your duty, it is essential to your survival.” She looked each of them sternly in the eyes. “You may all be gifted fighters for your age; you have not faced the extent of what this world throws at those who stand before the innocent. You will need knowledge of how to counter whatever you may face, and that starts with defending against more than simple blade, tooth and claw.”

“Therefore, you will be sparring against one another. I will call your opponents and the time- the lone fifth each round will be facing me.” She rested her gauntleted hand on the pommel of her bastard sword, at the crossguard of which was set a large, rough-hewn purple gemstone. "The aim is not to one-up the other; it's to get a sense of their style and capabilities, so that once you are fighting side by side, you will know how to cooperate. Practice restraint, too- breaking through your opponent's defenses without harming them is a valuable skill to master. Same goes for spells and psionics- use them, but keep your peers safe."

She drew her sword, baring a blade that had clearly seen much use, though a notch near the base seemed intentionally made. "Feonix and Nagengast can start off. Yangero will face off with Jamrock. Casanova, with me."

~~~

As the day progressed, the shadow of the Godsword passed over the city like a sundial- a fully intentional design, as at midday it cleaved the Circles in twain. Her involvement in the sparring did not stop Leanna from observing the other pairs closely; she’d been right to think putting the Knights against moving targets, deflecting blades and spells, livened them up. The matchups were fierce to start, each Knight hoping to prove their worth again, but as the hours dragged on and the only respite came from watering breaks and one for lunch provisions, the battles came down more to tactics and blows grew infrequent and deliberate.

To their credit, few dared complain; the realization seemed to have set in that this level of exertion would be routine moving forward. None seemed to have second thoughts about their involvement, and they continued to fight until Leanna called time at four past noon and had them stand at attention, slickened with sweat and shaking off the ache in their limbs.

“You’ve put in good effort today.” She began. “You’re expected to keep that up. I have a solid grasp now on the pitfalls that each of you needs to work hardest on, but that's a matter for our next session. You’ll have a few hours to dine and freshen up before the ceremony. You’ll be required to don your armour after it’s cleaned, and the stewards will take you to the hall.”

Leanna crossed her arms. “I have one last announcement to make, so pay close attention. I was informed earlier today that this team will be receiving a sixth and final addition.” She watched looks of interest and confusion get shared between the Knights. “This individual was put forward as a participant from the project’s inception, but her… complicated allegiances had muddled the prospect of her joining. Until, apparently, a few days ago. She is currently underway from Crowharbour and should be present just in time for the initiation. You will likely have little time to get to know her before, so save your questions for after.”

The Knights were looking expectant, waiting for a reveal. “Not to be cryptic for the sake of it, but I’ll leave her the honour of introducing herself. Also, I prefer for you not to head into any engagement with preconceived notions or expectations. She carries a name some of you will recognize- that’s all I’ll say.” She followed up. “Now, off to your quarters. The eyes of much of the Assembly will be upon you tonight; consider what impression you leave.”

She waved them off with a gesture.

~~~

OOC Notes;
  • Sorry for the long wait!
  • Feel free to describe one (or all) of the sparring sessions and your character’s impressions of the others! These are not win/lose scenarios, so don’t worry about “coming out on top” (It’s actually more fun if your character realizes their weaknesses/is impressed by the others!).
  • We’re heading to a big ceremony, which could be nerve-wracking for the Knights! Especially with this mysterious broad joining the party...

Weisse had given up on sleep and resorted to meditation. He had been practicing like he was taught in school. It helped with some restraint, but he couldn't help but return to the night he was sent away from home, and his family had moved to Celestine. It was his fault though his father told him it was only because Weisse didn't understand the great power he held. But this wasn't the only thing weighing on his thoughts. The squire was quickly moving ranks into a new group; The Artfice Knights were under a lot of scrutinies, and there would be those who wish for their failure undoubtedly. This also worried him as if he could control his magic abilities; then he would drag the others down. His mind had been empty, and his breathing slow, heavy sighs that were methodical and focused. He was trying to gain control of the spirit that burned inside of him, making some agreement. Then his meditative dream returned him to the night, and he started to sweat, trying to regain his tranquillity, but his breath hastened, and his eyes flashed open in a wash of blue. He looked down and saw his left hand on fire, quickly waving his arm to extinguish the flames. "Damn." He said.

Weisse looked out the window. It was just about sunrise, and surely they would start training soon. He looked at the armour. It was different from other forms of Armour he was used to. Most he needed help getting into, but this armour was light and easy to put on by himself. Which was nice, but how protective could it be. He had never seen such craftsmanship; it was among the finest. Weisse was clad in his suit that was mostly chainmail. The plates covered most of the vital areas but allowed for dexterity and movement, which would benefit his sword style. His scabbard had changed as well with the new armour. The back scabbard was slotted near the locket, so the blade's tip could swing in and out. He read all of the texts said not to carry a sword on your back, but he decided to anyways. The Arming sword wasn't as long as a two-handed sword, but what it lacked in length, it made up for in maneuverability.

Leanna had come early to retrieve them for training, and he had met the others ready to go. Weisse walked along the street. The looks were boring into him, but he had learned to maintain appearances as a noble son. It had seemed most everyone in the group came from a different walk of life. Weisse had actually admired some of the others in their nonchalance. Though he was sure, they had struggles of their own, goals, dreams and shortcomings. Nevertheless, everyone had a reason to be here, and it seemed none of them had doubts of their own even if the few glances and glares they caught did.

It was a long walk in the armour as the sun rose and brought with it heat. When they did reach the large training ground, Leanna instructed on what they would be doing, some sparring amongst each other though it was more for getting to know one another once again. First last night, it was getting comfortable now. It was to learn how their abilities could complement one another. "Feonix and Nagengast." Of course, his opponent would be the flamboyant Gunter. Weisse might not have known what to think about Gunter, but he respected him. Weisse spread from the group and Gunter. He had to think quickly to create distance, but he didn't want to be close enough to strike while he contemplated his approach and dealing with the larger, heavier weapon Gunter wielded.

Weisse knew the Poleaxe was less maneuverable than his sword. However, he also knew it was a devastating weapon in Gunter's hands,. Weisse was familiar with the weapon, not as efficient with it as a sword, but he had held one and felt its weight, knowing he couldn't stop and his static blocking defence would be useless against the force behind the swing. Furthermore, it would be difficult to close the distance as Gunter had a reach advantage in his height and weaponry. Weisse drew his sword, finding it useless to use a draw tactic to catch Gunter off guard. He remained out of measure from Gunter; Weisse drew his sword from over his sword, turning less square, angled and off-center from Gunter. Weisse held his sword with one hand, the handle having extra space to wield with two hands but still light and balanced enough to wield with one hand. He twirled the blade getting familiar once again with the weight taking a deep breath, his face placid as he focused in on Gunter.

Weisse moved in without hesitation, dedicating themself to his approach. Gunter Wielded his poleaxe as flamboyantly as he dressed, but he was equally skilled in combat. Whether sparring or fighting, he aimed to treat every encounter with a certain level of caution, He wouldn't try to hurt Gunter, but he certainly wasn't going to hold back; Weisse doubted Gunter was the type to make things easy. Restraint came from his execution of technique. Weisse wouldn't strike but stop once he had the most threatening position. He decided this in the seconds it took for him to reach striking distance. Weisse had anticipated that Gunter would let him make the opening move in the match, which could pay of or make him vulnerable for a counter. He also had to be aware that Gunter's ability worked with vibrating soundwave. He wasn't quite sure how it worked; mainly in the area of effectiveness, it would be hard to dodge something omnidirectional.

Weisse fainted for a power attack as he shifted his hands to mislead Gunter into changing his defence. But as Weisse stepped into his own strike distance, his right hand went up to the blade, half swording with his left hand still close to the pommel for as much reach as possible. Weisse pressed the flat of his blade to the langets above the rondel guard of the Poleaxe. This would take out any momentum for Gunter to build without moving his weapon to generate momentum. Though Weisse knew this wasn't his only option of escape, just the reaction he was hoping for. This was why Weisse remained ready to change tactics and follow up or even escape and get out of the striking distance. Weisse also had multiple routes to escape, but not many of them would get him outside of the Poleaxe's striking distance without extra maneuvers, which means he would have to make twice as many defensive moves as Gunter. Weisse wasn't strong enough to challenge Gunter in a head-to-head clash, but he was slightly more agile with his smaller size. His face remained placid focused Weisse didn't even blink as he analyzed the engagement carefully in less than seconds, considering what he would do with Gunter's reaction. Still, he wouldn't know which one to pick until Gunter engaged.

Gunter awoke before the sun, feeling hale and hearty, so the chef they'd angered hadn't poisoned them last night, which was certainly good. He might have spat in their food, but it was what it was. He got out of bed and immediately began to dress himself. From his luggage he chose a blue hat pin-cushioned with feathers that matched the color of the armor he suspected they'd be wearing today. A tight fitting jumper followed, also a pastel blue, with white cuffs. He put the armor on after that, and glanced at himself in the mirror. Blue and white. It was quite the theme. He wondered if he should dye his beard blue? That might be funny. Certainly not a look he'd want to try and pull of regularly, but it would get people looking! He chose one of his mothers golden chains and draped it around his neck, a chain whose links were shaped like hands grasping one another. It was one of the lighter ones, with no medallion or heavy gem weighing it down, one that he could tuck under his shirt if they had to do anything particularly physical.

And so it was, that when Leanne came for them, Gunter was already dressed, hair combed and beard trimmed. His mother had always told him to wake up early to get dressed. Having people see you in your boxers and morning bedhead could ruin your mystique.

-----

'Feonix and Nagengast'. Gunter felt his chest swell, a grin spreading across his face. Of course, he could let anyone see anything other than that confidence, but he felt the smile. He was interested in testing Weisse. He'd heard that he was an exceptional fighter, and couldn't help but feel a sense of rivalry with the boy from the royal household. Gunter didn't resent the nobility, but he still felt the pressure to represent the 'common folk' even if Gunter and his family weren't exactly common.

He stepped out onto the field, away from the others, facing Weisse, and dipped into a theatrical bow similar to the one he made when Weisse entered his room last night. He opened his mouth, but apparently Weiss wasn't interested in banter because he came straight at Gunter after his bow. Gunter honestly didn't think Weisse had even noticed that Gunter was bowing, it sort of looked like he only paused to consider his next move.

Gunter had a split second to think. He would obviously want to use his reach as an advantage, and Weisse would obviously know that. Weisse wouldn't simply commit to a full frontal assault, his reputation as a fighter was too good for that. Gunter could think of strategy and counter strategy for as long as he pleased, but he already knew what he was going to do. Something loud, something silly, something grand! He sucked in a deep breath, and as Weisse approached, he let all of it loose.

"WEISSE!" He shouted in the other boys face, amplifying the vibrations that he naturally caused in the air. Gunter had accidentally knocked a bird out of the sky doing this once. Weisse was likely a fair shade tougher than a bird, but hopefully the pressure of the vibrations, and the mere surprise of something so unorthodox, as Gunter hadn't even moved to defend himself, would stymie his attack. "Surely you've something to say, before we begin?" Gunter would continue, steeling himself and schooling his face to remain a smile, even if Weisse followed through on his attack. It wouldn't look quite as cool if Weisse actually hit him, but sometimes you had to gamble in pursuit of style. "I like a little bit of pre-battle repartee, myself."

After the rather unscrupulous encounter with the cooking staff the previous night, Jaro decided it would be much simpler to just stockpile a snack well... pile, in his room. Fancy entrees and five-course meals never much appealed to him, anyways, and besides, he'd probably never get tired of the selection of Godswordian streetfoods and munchies! Everything back home was optimized for health and wellness, but it was obvious that these folks didn't give a flying flip about any of that! Twice-fried cocochick, nittle brittle, kettle-cooked zesty crisps- even if he wasn't selected as an artifice knight, the ex-healer might have stayed for the variety alone.

Perhaps it wasn't the most refined way to join his fellow knights in their first excursion fully fitted and armored, but Jaro tailed the group chewing happily on a jerky stick of some sort. The buckles on his armor were tied neatly rather than properly fastened, on account of him not really knowing how the damn clasps worked. Sure, he probably could have asked for help... Weisse seemed to know an awful lot about armor, and Milly liked to click and tick with little trinkets. Gunter certainly would have known his way around any garment, no matter how complicated the dressing process, and he doubted the competent Valerie would have had any problem with such a mundane task, either.

In the end, though, he'd decided to just weather the storm! Er... clasp. It couldn't be too restrictive, anyways- if he clipped the leather clasps too tightly, it would be difficult to bop and hop circles 'round his opponents. How would he have even gone about asking one of the other knights? School had always been easy, healing was even easier, and if he was being entirely honest, it always sort of annoyed him how his peers would ask for help with the simplest of tasks. There was no way he was going to have someone tie his armor like him as if he was a child!

And if Leanna wanted to penalize him for sloppiness, he could use the extra training.

Jaro didn't have much interest in much of anything other than his snack until Leanna explained the morning's activity. Upon learning that they were going to spar, the young man's entire body perked- finally! It had been too long since his punches had met flesh and blood, rather than the burlap and canvas of the assembly's cheap training dummies. There was something special about feeling the heat of your opponent's body, the pain of a misstep leading to punishing blows, and even the showboating and taunting that was sure to come along with a no-holds-barred match!

Unlike some of the more introspective members of the team, Jaro hadn't been paying all too much attention to the fighting styles of his peers, so this exercise was a real eye-opener. His fragment was probably the smallest and least impressive of the team, being little more than wired knuckle-dusters without a sharp point in sight. Though they did a poor job guarding his hands, that was precisely in the design- if Jaro couldn't make tactile contact with his opponents, he'd be at a severe disadvantage! Universe knew how he hated healing, but it was the only school of magic that seemed to agree with him- even if he would only use it to scan the anatomies of his opponents, it was undoubtedly his greatest tool.

And for the most part, he would stubbornly refuse to show any proper healing magic during the entire session.

In his first round, Jaro was rather pleased to be going toe-to-toe with the engineering prodigy herself. He'd probably spoken with Milly the most, though they hadn't really talked fighting as much as he would have liked. What his weapon lacked in size and deadliness, it more than made up for in nimbleness and speed. The girl's weapon was similar to his to a point, as they were both more or less sets of gauntlets optimized to their magical style. Where his were made for exposure, though, hers were clearly heavy-duty and pimped to hell and back will a lion's share worth of features. There were some machinists in the Cages back at Gelwave, and their auto-suits and seige weaponry were devastating! Though not necessarily on the same scale, he could see that Milly's designs loosely interpreted a similar style, making it hard to believe she wasn't formally trained in one of the great academies in the core mecha-cities.

Much was to be said about her magic, as well- explosive bursts were absolutely nothing to scoff at. It wasn't as if he had a direct answer to such flashy and fatal fireworks, either, but Jaro was glad that he was light enough on his feet to avoid the worst of them. For his part, he kept his stance tight and unforgiving, the lightweight nature of his fragment making it easy to hop in, swipe a few jabs, and spin right back out before taking too much damage. Unfortunately, he'd certainly overexerted himself dancing around Milly's magical bursts, and was left panting by the time their match was up.

Fighting Valerie was a psychological challenge more than anything else- it just didn't feel right to goad her, for some reason, and her style was so patient, so calculating. Duelists were common in the cages- most likely because it was a favored style among the seafaring peoples who docked in Gelwave for months at a time, especially during the excursion seasons. They weren't so much feared in the fights so much as they were respected, due to the speed and strategy required to successfully win using one.

He'd been holding his own a decent amount, all things considered, keeping his distance where he could and utilizing jumps and dives to get behind the knight and hit her in a weak spot. Such a task was obviously easier said than done, since she was just as fast as he was, if not faster, with more reach and a type of magic he didn't fully understand. It was a typical technique of the grappler to tug at his opponent's weapon, and it was relatively successful in providing him the opening he needed to pop someone up the nose. When he tried it, though, it was an immediate regret- for what certainly wasn't the first time, Jaro's lack of effort had punished him, as he was woefully unprepared for the sight-sealing illusion magic that was channeled through the young woman's blade.

Ah, well. At least this was only sparring and she didn't run him through the heart.

He'd actually been looking forward to facing off against Gunther, who seemed like a natural performer, but was rather disoriented from his previous fights- his ears still rang from Milly's bombastic, and while he wasn't blinded for very long, Valerie's magic was rather disorienting to be exposed to. Still, he didn't want to come across entirely downtrodden, regardless of how he was actually feeling. He could feel the silent question from his team and from any other spectators- he was a healer of some level of renown, wasn't he? Why bite the bullet and suffer instead of healing in between matchups? Jaro supposed that it would be the logical thing to do, but he'd already made up his mind. If he healed now, he'd only ever be healing his whole time as an artifice knight! While his teammates went to go to the frontlines, he was sure they'd try to force him to visit hospitals or tend to the wounded, as if he'd come halfway across the world to become exactly what he'd been forced into his whole life.

Ringing ears and bloodied lips were way less painful than such a fate.

Jaro may have been exhausted, but facing off against Gunther was galvanizing in its own way- the two traded jabs and blows. The landsknechte's superior range was a clear deterrent to the grappler, who couldn't quite enter punching range with the other's polearm sweeping this way and that. Despite the daunting task at hand, the ex-healer couldn't help but wonder why there weren't more folks from Gunther's culture fighting in the cages- their outlandish clothing and effective combat would make the crowds go absolutely wild! There was still much he didn't know of the world, he supposed, trying and failing for what seemed to be the umpteenth time to catch the long handle of the poleaxe in his hands and climb it back to its wielder. He'd seen such a move before, but lacked the raw strength and deftness required for such a feat- in fact, the one time he managed to take firm hold, he was tossed literally into the air, scuffing his cheek and eating a faceful of dirt upon landing.

He'd sparred with Leanna before, as they all had during the candidacy process. The fighter was no match for her when he was fully rested and ready for action, and after three consecutive losses, probably put up less of a fight than a sack of flour would. Regardless of his clear fatigue and pain, though, he pushed through, feeling a serene sort of numbness and pride in his unwillingness to heal himself. Her strikes were pointed, with a clear agenda- she'd been watching, of course, just as she continued to watch the others even during their own fight. It seemed almost as though she was testing him, targeting where he was hurting the most- his left ankle, where he'd landed too hard trying to jump and weave to strike Valerie, his entire right side, which was more or less a blind spot due to the swelling of his eye- it was still gritty with dirt, where he'd fallen in his fight with Gunther.

Perhaps it was all in his head, but Jaro could almost hear her challenging him, though it certainly couldn't be with his ears, which were trickling with blood after being exposed to both Milly's explosions and Gunther's supersonic shouts. Heal, he could almost feel her urging with each strike. The thought entered through his fragment, where his knuckles raised aptly to block the brunt of her strikes. Why don't you heal? Why aren't you using your magic? It merely kept his fire roaring.

By the time he sparred with Weisse, the ex-healer didn't have much juice left. Still, cage fighting was all about pushing on even when one had met their limit, so though he didn't bother with conversation, Jaro was game to finish the exercise as strong as he could. Which, admittedly, was not much- what could he do against a career noble who'd trained from childhood in both the blade and spellworks? He wondered if the blonde was tired, or if that was something only for commoners- maybe the magical nobility had some sort of hidden reserves in their body that prevented exhaustion. That would certainly explain where the phrase 'blueblooded' came from, wouldn't it? The rest of his thoughts were equally as incoherent as he moved more with instinct than tact, barely flinching as flames and slicing steel licked and bit at his exposed flesh. His armor, never having been fastened properly in the first place, loosened in enough places where his body was more or less exposed, but he caredlittle.

As the exercise wrapped up, only one thought kept the stubborn knight going: don't heal, don't heal, don't heal.

Later on in the night, Valerie had decided to begin practicing patience. Patience in others and their mischief they may or may not get themselves and eventually her wrapped up in. Patience in her new living circumstance, as she took the nightly opportunity to get used to the elegant winding paths of the Sixth circle, both figuratively and literally. Most importantly however, she practiced patience in herself. Her anxieties got the better of her again today, and she nearly clubbed Gunter, Millia, and Jaro when she spotted them just outside the kitchen because she thought the kitchen servants entering their building was some sort of test. She shook her head to herself, the cool night air fresh on her skin as she took slow, calculated steps across the courtyard. If there was one thing about being an artifice knight she particularly enjoyed, it would be the even paths. The outdoors could have dirt, or mud, or rocks, or animal droppings she wouldn't know she could be stepping on, not that she left her hometown much anyways.

The morning came, and training was always the first order of business for the day, breakfast always took a backseat to practice for her. As she readied herself, she took the time to truly appreciate her new set of armor. Her left arm, her dominant side, was well padded. Her hand, her forearm, all the way up to her shoulder was all fitted with plate to help her glance blows from, but it was so light, she didn't feel like her arm was weighed down at all. Her cuirass was flush against her torso, and surprisingly easy enough to put on without any assistance. Everywhere else was leather, asides from her gloves and greaves, which went to her elbows and knees respectively, which covered them with more fine enchanted plating. She couldn't help but smile to herself as she tied her blindfold on her head like a bandanna, proudly displaying her house's colors.

~~~

The training today held something Valerie realized she didn't know she wanted until she heard: sparring. All her life, she spent her days fighting- no, toying with drunkards and half-baked swordsmen for their money. She could count the number of truly experienced fighters on both of her hands, and she relished the challenge of getting to finally get to know her new allies on a level she was comfortable at.

"Feonix and Nagengast can start off. Yangero will face off with Jamrock. Casanova, with me."

That was until she realized she would be fighting Leanna first.

Her father always wanted his beautiful daughter to be a ballerina. With such dexterity and control she always possessed, if she just gave up fighting, and put her mind to the arts rather than the blade, perhaps she might become famous among the higher echelons of society, and retire successful and young. Valerie was never interested in that, but as she unsheathed her blade and slid down her blindfold, she couldn't help but feel the arena fade away. The sun dimmed to candle light, and the stone became boards under her feet. The sounds of blades and quick footsteps faded away, replaced by an utter silence and her own breathing. She was on stage, her rapier shone in the spotlight as she eased herself into stance. She could feel Leanna's presence standing only a few feet away from her, readied as well, waiting expectantly for Valerie. The conductor of the orchestra raised his baton, and the strings began to play. She was never a dancer, but dueling was a dance all to itself.

Leanna did not hold back on her, just as she expected. The duelist's sword met most every strike, and she stepped back from those she could not catch. Not to say that she did not make a few strikes of her own, but Valerie was a very defensive duelist, waiting for her opponent to make a mistake, to leave themselves open, and to allow Valerie to capitalize on their error by pincushioning them. Her issue with Leanna is that she didn't make mistakes. She didn't leave herself open, and her windows of opportunity that each strike naturally created were always cut short, safeguarded. Even Valerie's psionism did not seem to deter Leanna's advance. As the fight wore on, Valerie would send an illusion of herself to attempt to prod a weakspot while she backed away to recover, but Leanna simply pushed through the illusion and kept on the pressure.

It was her hastiness that got the better of her, and Leanna knew it. More and more tricks and illusions came as the fight wore on. She played with her sight and nearly feinted with illusions, but that didn't work. She tested her swordplay and broke their rhythm a few times, but that made her tired as she pushed herself to fight faster. She wasn't good at fighting offensively. Eventually, she found the blade of the mercenary at her chest. The candlelight was blown out, and a hush went over the crowd. Next time, surely she'd have a better chance at beating her.

Jaro was her next fight, and she found fighting him nearly comforting. She was used to fighting unarmed combatants back at Sycaria, since most believed that once you got past her blade, she would be easily overpowered being so small. That was rarely the case. Her dance was lilting, waiting for Jaro to try and get past her blade, and rewarding his efforts with the point of her rapier, and a practiced step back. Range was key, and she had it in spades. What she struggled with was his acrobatics. Jumps and dives took him off the ground for a moment, and she could only guess at where he would land. She would predict behind her, and she was usually right, but predictability gets you killed, and Jaro was no fool and switched up the angle of his attack often. What really caught him though, was when he had enough of her antics, and closed by pulling away her blade.

Stealing sight away was a cruel tactic that often caught most unaware, and Jaro was no exception. The moment his hand clasped her rapier, she channeled her magic instinctively and sealed away his sight for the time being, and swept him off his feet. The fight was over.

The next fight was the self-made menace Millia and her explosive gauntlets. The trick here was accepting that whatever conventional combat experience she had concerning hand-to-hand was going to be a little useless, as her speed and strikes were going to be a problem until she learned the exacts of both of them. The wasn't going to be any blocking here, just fancy footwork and a little bit of dancing. Nothing she didn't already do.

She should've expected them, but Milly's bursts of energy caught Valerie off guard the first few times she unleashed them. Milly wasn't as particularly quick as Jaro, which made it easy to step in and out of her guard without much trouble. What she had was the blasts, and it wasn't like Valerie could know what angle they would come from or how powerful they would be. However, that didn't phase her too much. She was an Artifice Knight now, she was expected to deal with things like this, she wouldn't get the luxury of practice against unknown threats. What Valerie did to counter was take it much slower. Staying back, out of range, and waiting for Milly to make mistakes, or forcing her to make mistakes by briefly creating an illusion that appeared to strike, and then taking the opening she created.

Valerie came off much more burnt from this fight, but she felt she got to know Milly's explosive personality a lot more through her combat. The gauntlets still terrified her, but she found them to be simple once she understood exactly what her unorthodox fighting style came with.

Weisse was much more of a conventional fight than the last two, in her opinion, and she was looking forwards to fighting another noble swordsman. He was clearly skilled, as she could see. He knew when to push his attack, when to wait for a strike. When to release his flames, and when that was enough and it was time to bring his sword to bear. It was almost comforting, it reminded her of when she fought against her old trainer, asides from the fire, but training never really taught you to adapt to needing to feint three separate attacks all at once. Valerie had tried this technique only a few times, but she leaned on creating her own ephemeral entourage as she fought. As she parried, she would retreat as an illusion took her place, only to be swiped away by a single strike. As she struck, her arm would seemingly split into three and almost appear as if she were leaving an afterimage, or her blows were merely illusory until the real strike came through. This didn't always work though. Her clothes at times caught alight, and until she felt the burning sensation, it wouldn't be too difficult to distinguish her illusions to herself, as she was the only one that was alight.

Though the burns hurt, she was determined not be put down by Gunter. Though he had a reach advantage on her, polearms were not unfamiliar territory. They were heavy, and took much longer to recover from strikes than her. She just had to keep track of when he struck, and his openings. Her ability to capitalize on him being unable to retaliate in time would determine the match.

Or so she thought. She hadn't paid much attention to many of the abilities the other initiates held, asides from Millia since she held a personal fear of the girl. Gunter's ability, as she quickly learned, was sound. Sound was most of how she was able to fight. Sure, her ability to "feel" the placement of other's feet was also how she found her opponents, but sound was how she was able to tell where her opponent was, when they might swing, how much energy they had left in them, or what sort of attack they might be making, if they weren't all swords and had a bit of sorcery. Gunter had the unique ability of creating vibrations, disrupting her hearing, and throwing off her rhythm. It didn't matter if she could step out of the way or conjure an illusion when Gunter decided to unleash a deafening roar that entirely broke her concentration. It was easy to say that he easily overpowered her once he began to utilize his abilities.

Though she felt adequately challenged by many of her allies, she could only really remember the first and the last fight, it was hard to forget the ringing in her ears.

Millia Jamrock

The first moments of dawn, the million twinkling diamonds of midnight slowly giving way to the creeping orange hues of the coming sunrise.
Since she had arrived aboveground, it had become a part of Milly's morning ritual to watch the stupendous splendor of the fresh day's first moments, and so she stood, still in her evening sleepwear, gazing out the main hall window with his goggles held in her hand.
He would have loved to have seen it, would have been so proud to see her there, never would have believed it possible for any Valleyman to reach such heights, bare witness to the coming of such heavenly bodies.
But here she was, and from some of the clattering coming upstairs, soon the others would be here too.
With a warm smile, she places her goggles firmly atop their rightful place, nestled amongst her uncombed, sunset hair, drinking in a few more moments of sunrise before returning to her room.
She ought to start getting prepared, another day of excitement and discovery was waiting!
---
'Sparring' was the word of the day, a prospect that Milly, fully dressed in her knightly regalia for the first time, was all too eager for.
She'd barely slept a wink the night before, so full of ideas for all of the ways she could apply her new gauntlets, and who better a first opponent to test herself against, than the other resident pugilist, Jaro?
Their battle was vicious, a ceaseless, rapid-fire series of exchanges. Jaro had the clear advantage in speed and experience, able to sneakily slip in attacks through the smallest gaps in Milly's guard, and dancing just out of range of her wild strikes.
However, Milly had a massive advantage in sheer firepower, and whatever ground the pugilist made would be negated with just one of her blasts, which proved devastating, even when they didn't directly connect.

Weisse was her next opponent, and the first foe she'd fought capable of using such powerful magic, thankfully, her gauntlets proved sufficient enough defense to mostly protect her from the noble's powerful flames. (If there were any hairs left on her arms, they did not survive the endeavor.)
It didn't take her long to notice the distinct pause between the fiery bombardment, the muttered incantations under his breath.
Her plan became simple then; weather the assault, evade the attacks that she could, block the ones that she couldn't, press him into a corner, and stick to him, at range where he couldn't cast his wicked magicks before her gauntlets could reach him.

Amongst her fellow artificer knights, Valerie was the trickiest to face; rushing in thoughtlessly just earned Milly the hollow swing of her gantlet connecting with a phantom, which would be followed shortly by a punishing reprisal at the end of her rapier, and naturally, the duelist never took the initiative, standing there, intimidatingly, blade drawn and waiting for Milly to present her with an opening.
To fight against her, she had to think outside the box; use her blasts to rock her vulnerable senses, find ways to discern which Valerie was real, and which was an imposter.
It was a true battle of wits, and as Milly had anticipated, the blind noble proved a most terrifying, and enlightening rival.

Gunther was in many ways like Weiss, except, this time, her gauntlets did little to defend against the mercenary's concussive blasts of sound, and that pesky halberd of his lie in wait for her, ready to fend her off should she get close.
Their bout became quite the spectacle, echoing thunderclaps of violent explosions and sonic blasts ringing out from the arena, carrying all across the kingdom, almost becoming something more akin to a grand performance than battle, as the two knights constantly tried to one-up each other with increasingly unpredictable and bombastic displays of explosive power.
By their fights end, both their ears would be ringing, as well those of anyone within the vicinity.

Lastly, came her long-awaited rematch with her teacher.
Milly had used the brief reprieves between her battles to reflect deeply on what she could learn from them, picked them apart with meticulous detail in her mind.
Now, against Leanne, she was going to bring it all out to bear, with only a single goal in mind; give her at least one good punch to the schnozz!
Like Jaro, instead of committing to ending it all with one decisive swing, she stuck to swift, compact swings to keep Leanne on the defensive, and give her little room to fight back.
Like Weiss, she coupled her oppressive offense with explosive bursts of magic to whittle her down, and like Gunther, kept her strikes unpredictable, to create even the smallest window of opportunity.
She even took some queues from Valerie, backing off when she felt that the opportunity wouldn't present itself, and let Leanne create it for her.
However, as much as Milly tried, any opening Leanne presented became closed immediately, any corner she found herself in, she found a way to slip out of, and any trick Milly tried to pull, the teacher could see through.
By the end of the battle, Milly couldn't land a single solid blow on Leanne, but, she had gotten close, even managed to see the fear and surprise in the grizzled mercenary's eyes as she just narrowly avoided falling into one her traps, and for now, that was more than she could ask for.
---
By the day's end, Milly was well exhausted, her body covered in bruises, burns, cuts and welts, but her mind was abuzz with new possibilities; reflecting on what she could have done differently, techniques she never got to use, and many, many ideas for what she could do next time.
Even more exciting than that, however, were the announcements that came after; their coming initiation! A new friend to join their ranks!
She couldn't wait to meet them! And then fight with them! And then fight along with them!
She may have been pushed to her very limits today, but one wouldn't know from looking at her, already so charged with energy she was practically bounding in her oversized steel boots.

Weisse knew things were never going to go according to intention but that didn't mean there wasn't versatility. He had experienced each of the knights though he was purposely holding back some of his spells. When he was watching the others fight he was thinking of ways they could help each other while also thinking of ways to defeat their defence. Weisse had been caught off guard by Gunter in his first fight losing control of the flames that licked off his skin. His ears rang painfully and he became disoriented. When the vibrations moved through the air the oxygen was being rushed around and made the flames burn hotter. Weisse thought he might have regained focus too late, though his hat might have been damaged Gunter wouldn't have been extra crispy. Weisse accepted this defeat. But he had also seen Casanova's fight which was impressive, to say the least. She was strong and he had heard stories about her duels but then one day she stopped duelling and the stories stopped coming. He never knew why until he had been selected to join his fellow knights. For lack of a better term, Leanna won all of her fights, it was her experience that gave her an edge. While the rest were skilled they had varying degrees of experience in fights. But Valerie had made Leanna work for the win with her ability to create illusions to mislead her opponent it would take plenty of wits to not lost track of the real Valerie Casanova.

Looking at Jaro and Milly's fight it was probably the most technical of all the fights that hadn't included Leanna. They bobbed and weaved punched and kicked. Using their elbows and knees when in the closest proximity to each other. Both of them were skilled in martial arts. However, Jaro looked more comfortable in the setting Milly packed a punch and could attack from a distance. this is what determined the winner of their fight, having to make twice as many defensive maneuvers would be the undoing of Jaro in the fight. Weisse had found this enlightening but inevitably useless when it came to his turn again Milly. She herself was a destructive force to be reckoned with and when she applied pressure it was heavy. But when she kept applying the strategy to corner Weisse she would find it difficult to get close enough to hit him. Though it was easy for him to maintain a distance. When she grabbed the blade of his sword and swung her fist at him he took it like a champ it actually knocked him off his feet he still didn't use his strongest spell nor did he use the power of the phoenix aside from his fireballs. Weisse accepted another defeat.

This is beginning to become Tedious Weisse thought to himself as they switched once more. Growing tired of not completely following with his attacks as the blade would be deadly. Even though he was two fights in. Jaro was Weisse's third opponent in the random rotation Jaro was tired. Weisse was also tired but he had been controlling his breathing and reserving his magic. Though it was with Jaro he decided that he would stop being afraid to strike his opponents. Weisse instead cut away at Jaro's loose armour. He thought Jaro was crazy for picking such a one-dimensional weapon but then again Weisse himself had just lost to Milly before this fight. Weisse also knew his who is next opponents would be in the rotation. So when Jaro started to tire and Weisse seemed to remain as placid as ever it was because at the start of the match between Weisse and Jaro he had started casting a spell.

Casanova had been his next opponent and from what he saw of her previous fights this was going to be difficult. She was quick and with her illusion magic, she seemed even faster Weisse still needed more time to finish the spell and Casanova was on a roll after her impressive fight with Leanna who was now fighting Milly. Weisse didn't know how to attack when he blasted her with fire it was just an illusion and he would be struck. Weisse was watching to learn where he had made mistakes and that was his own mistake losing track of Casanova had been the worst thing to do and she unleashed a defeating blow that had Weisse submitting. He took a moment to look at the others sparring. His fellow knights had all been treating their match with Leanna differently. Weisse wasn't really into any of his matches as the initiation grew closer but he still did his best as he balanced his thoughts and wondered if anyone else was struggling their matches might have had another purpose, to release frustrations as they get closer to becoming knights.

When it came to his last opponent Weisse needed to clear his mind, All of his matches had been sloppy and this was a reflection of his state of mind. He recalled the words of his mentor, Think of nothing just empty there is only you and your sword nothing else you are a calm deep lake. Before he was engaging with his final opponent he was watching Gunter in his match against Casanova and even his sound had proven powerful against her. All of the matches showed him something he was lacking things he found in matches he was spectating between the others. He had noticed how dedicated everyone was and understood that if he did not commit to his role then he would continue to lose and even become a weakness to the others. Leanna was patient with the young knight as he had a wash of realization come over him and his presence had changed. With Leanna, he wanted to make up for not putting in the same amount of effort he had seen from everyone. He had let his caution and concern dictate his matches and felt bad for Jaro being the one he realized this on. Weisse's sword started to glow a bright blue and he was going to burn through his magic quickly.

Weisse was moving at full speed but he felt that Leanna could still move faster. He mentally apologized to everyone for not being as committed as they were. In the span of the sparring, he had made a discovery and evolved by the time he had reached his final opponent Leanna. they moved in blurs and dodged or parried each other weaving in a display that seemed more of dance more than a duel. Weisse was running out of steam and he knew the spell was going to wear off soon. As the match came to an end his sword was knocked back with the last of the effects of his spell he dropped his sword behind his back catching it in his opposite hand. His right hand being sacrificed to block her attack while his attack came from an underhand swing that stopped at her side. He was out of breath and Leanna once again had hardly broken a sweat.

He had learned a lot about himself and the others in training now back in their temporary quarters preparing for the impending initiation where they would receive their fragments and meet another who is going to be joining their ranks. Weisse had been wondering why it might be and why they were training without them. He had cleaned up from training and was now dawning an expensive yet simple white tunic and brown trousers. He found himself sitting at the table contemplating what awaited them and who would happen when his magic interacted with the fragment. With his realizations came growth and he had started to become less concerned with his inability to control the flames which brought more control over them. It would seem the less anxious Weisse was the calmer the flames around him were. In his deep thought at the table, there were no flames around him but rather a slight blue glow surrounding him.

Last edited:
For all his love of fighting, Jaro was extraordinarily grateful when the sparring finally ended. It wasn't until they finally stopped and he could greedily drink water in earnest that he realized several hours had passed since they'd started. Well, that certainly explained the sorry state he was in! His previous training was centered around cage matches, after all, and those all had strict time limits and hardly ever features back-to-back showdowns. Well, he supposed that his first official day as a member of the new order was as good a day as any to learn.

Wiping his face with a damp washcloth to clean the blood from around his eyes, it was a conscious effort to not slowly massage the damaged tissue with arcana-infused rubs. Strangely, as much as the young man refused to utilize his formal training, at the stench of blood and the throbbing of injuries, his magic activated nearly instinctively. Glowing from the entire surface of his palms and fingertips dimly with a white, nearly colorless pulse, the healing touch only required contact to work its literal magic, but such assistance was unwelcome.

He'd dispelled the technique too late, however- with a scowl, Jaro realized that the cuts on his lips and scuffs on his face had all but disappeared. Only he could be so careless as to accidentally heal himself while trying to clean up! Well, at least he'd look somewhat presentable for the upcoming ceremony. This was as much as he'd do, though! Any more touch-ups, and he'd look more like a sheltered acolyte than a bona fide brawler, and that was just about the last thing he wanted.

"A sixth knight, huh?" He rasped, nodding at what their commanding officer said to them. And from Crowharbor no less! He'd never been, of course- while Gelwave was the gem of the southern seas, Crowharbor controlled most things up north. There would always be supply lines and rowdy sailors from either, but he knew embarrassingly little about the city other than that a scarce few trainees had the guts to willingly carry out their oaths in the harsh northern port.

--

After he'd had a good shower and scrub, Jaro decided to hazard a glance at his armor. The stewards from the order were hard at work cleaning it when he'd left his room, and Jaro couldn't help but wonder what they would really have to do, besides scraping off the grime. Although it had more or less come undone during his sparring, it was mostly due to the improperly fastened clasps. The material itself held strong, even in the face of flames and explosions. Even now, it glinted peacefully, as if he'd never even used it less than an hour ago.

Since they had a few hours of downtime, Jaro elected to poke about the kitchen in his academy robes, loose-fitting tunic-esque garb that stopped just above his elbows and scraped knees. They were mostly a muted cream color, as all healers' robes were, with thin accents of blue and a torn hole where the emblem of Gelwave once decorated its front. Out of his armor, his body looked even more bruised and battered, and he felt a swelling of pride at the fact. This must be what it was really like to be a knight, a fighter!

On his way to the kitchen, though, he couldn't help but notice Weisse at the table- such an instance was not unusual by itself, of course. He was sure all kinds of people sat at tables, from nobles to vagrants, but few, if any would have such a strange blue glow to them. The arcana was almost palpable- he could feel small pulses of energy lapping at his ankles, warming his face. For all his growing prejudice of the old mage nobility, Jaro had to admit that it was rather exciting to be exposed to all kinds of new magics- heck, his ears were still ringing from the very exposure!

"Y'know, I've heard all this mess about the word 'blueblood', but I had no idea it was a literal uh. Thing," he offered, leaning on the table with his elbows and smirking at his fellow knight across the table. "Ain't you hear? Training's over today, pal, no need to set the whole place on fire." Though... was that even what was going to happen? The blue glow didn't look particularly flammable, after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back