• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Glasynys: The Blue Island

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Dusty 'Big Guy' Tiles
After a couple minutes of simply catching his breath, it was then that Dusty heard someone calling out in what he believed to be one of Africa's several languages. He silently mused, for a short moment, how inconvenient it was that his studies had yet to cover Africa's languages, culture, and customs. Hopefully this...young woman or exceptionally feminine young man, based on the sound of the voice, knew one of the languages he did speak, or at least knew someone who did.

Dusty got to his feet, pocketing his keys in the process. As he began walking over to where he had heard the voice, he saw two people. It was initially hard to make them out clearly, his sight was still somewhat blurry from the saltwater, but after blinking a bit and wiping his eyes with the dry back of his left hand, he saw a young black woman, who had her hair tied back, that he estimated was around his age, and a black teen, borderline young adult, with a medium sized afro, looking like he was young enough to still be in high school.

Due to his nervousness, Dusty fell back into an old habit of his from his childhood: when it came to people he didn't know, his first attempt to speak with them was through sign language.

- Do either of you know English, Japanese, German, or Arabic? - Dusty said with his arms and hands.

L Leavant Carver
Elise Ebele Elise Ebele

Olabisi Jana
D303418B-7490-489D-8283-08F5B82A1C64.jpeg
Olabisi was actually a bit amused when the new-comer approached, asking in ASL if any one knew a spoken language. She only knew enough Japanese to recognize it, and make basic statements, and that was only because she had a teacher who was Japanese. Her English and German, however, were fluent enough.

How ever, as the guy got closer, she felt more and more shaken. She didn’t really know why. She had just been talking to Stacey like it was nothing... she just had to get warmed up all over again, was all. This was her least favorite part about life. She would live, though, because he used the one other language she could use when she was on edge.

She waved her hands to motion for him to come closer, as it was starting to get a bit dark. -Where did you come from?- she asked, curious if he was from here, or if he had washed up like the rest of them.

JusticeCarpenter JusticeCarpenter

- Virginia, but I was on a flight back there from Japan. I fell asleep a little bit after takeoff, and next thing I know, I'm floating in saltwater, feeling like I just got finished with a day at the woods after falling into barbed wire. I'd talk about Japan more, but now doesn't seem to be the time, especially since I have no idea where I am. - Dusty signed to the woman, before he walked a short distance away and found a stick that was about four feet long, and as wide as two fingers. Perfect.

When Dusty was about a foot away from the fire, he pushed the stick into the sand until it was steady and wouldn't fall over without deliberate effort. With that handled, he took off his overshirt and undershirt, wrung out as much water as he could into the sand and away from the fire, and sat them both onto the stick, making sure no part of them was touching the sand. Before he turned back to face Olabisi and Stacey, his back was very visible. On said back was a tattoo of a large red koi fish swimming up a waterfall towards an even larger red gate that had no doors. The sun shining in the background of the tattoo had kanji within. Anyone who had a decent grasp of Japanese in its written form would be able to see that the kanji said 'Tanaka Family'. After hanging up his shirts, Dusty turned back around, and sat down, with the stick his shirts were drying on to his right.

- It's starting to get late. I know more about the woods than the beach, but I do know that, without proper shelter, its probably going to get more than cold enough that soaked clothing is going to lead to pneumonia. -

Elise Ebele Elise Ebele
L Leavant Carver

Olabisi Jana
Olabisi was actually quite intrigued that this guy had spent so much time in Japan. That was one of the places she had always wanted to go, ever since she heard about it in elementary school. She watched him in silence as he made a coat rack for himself.

When she got a look at his back, a huge wave of relief and, some how, comradary flushed over her.
-I like your mark.- She signed, not actually sure if he was paying attention. She supposed, they had a big thing in common, now. She was not wanting to take her clothes off, though. Even though she was always really proud of her tattoo, she knew her brother had his pride slaughtered in the states. Now they were finally amidst some people where it was ok. This pleased her.

When he sat down and mentioned pneumonia, Olabisi nodded and rested her chin in her knees. -I really don’t want to go far from here... My big brother is in the jungle looking far water and he will be coming back. A few others ventured off as well. We are not the only ones here. But we can always make the fire bigger.- she suggested. She started looking around to see what else they could use to stay warm. If nothing else, she was wearing a lot of fabric, but it was all wet.

On top, she was wearing a light khanga tied around her waist. It starved more as an apron or a pocket the way she had it crinkled up. Without standing up, she took it off. She had on a kente draped over her waist and shoulder. She took that off too. Now she was only wearing her kitenge, which was her floor-length garment that hugged her waist, and draped over her right shoulder.

She could not reach the new comer’s coat-rack from wear she was sitting, but the stick had a couple nubs that she could hang her things on. She kinda gestured towards the stick and gestured her wet clothes to the guy, only because she couldn’t get up her self.
“Tafadhali...” -please.-

Last edited:
As the newcomer came by and began to talking to them, Stacey would sit up and at first remain quiet, listening to what he had to say. A new person huh? He guessed this man must've washed onto shore as well like the rest of them and gotten stranded. The boy, calm and collected, didn't feel threatened, as he could atleast tell that there was no violent intent. The more the merrier right? With a larger group, survival was more guaranteed, so he had no problem letting this stranger join them. Though, he would position himself in front of Olabisi, in order to atleast be able to defend her in the worst case scenario. He sensed that she probably wasn't the most comfortable around new poeple without her brother, and that this man might've made her feel uneasy. As he saw the man used sign language, he was able to make out that he was asking if either of them knew english. The boy replied, smiling. "Yeah, I know english dude! You must be stranded too huh?" As the man and Olabisi began to do more signs though, Stacey began to lose track of the conversation, getting confused. He would just have to get the details from Olabisi's translation, if she was willing to help him understand. He looked at her, and would ask if she understood. "Hey, whats he saying? Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake."

As evening began to fall with the sun, Stacey noticed the man taking off his clothes, most likely due to being wet. He realized he had almost forgotten about pneumonia. He noticed the man's japanese tattoo, understanding a little bit of its origin, but not really having any real grasp of deeper meaning. He could tell though, this man probably had some connection to Japan and America. Perhaps he was a traveler between the two places? He could find out later. The teenager was a bit nervous to take off his clothes, especially with a girl around, as he looked at Olabisi from the corner of his eye and turned red. He was far too unfamiliar with women, that he wasn't comfortable enough to take off his shirt around one. As he saw Olabisi begin to remove clothing, he turned away, not wanting to look. Instead he would focus on his own clothes, picking up his jacket from earlier, ringing the sand and debree from out of it. He would walk over to the man's hanger, putting jacket on it as well beside the stranger's clothes. He looked at the man and nodded, thanking him. "Good idea man! Probably should dry off our stuff!"

As he would walk back over to Olabisi, he noticed she was pointing over the hanger, and holding out her wet clothes. Stacey would oblige, deciding to take them from her hands and hang them up himself, albeit nervously, one could tell he was very new holding a girls clothes. "Don't worry, I-I got ya!" He quickly would run over and hang them, before going back and sitting down in same position as before, still in front of her. Looking at the man, who was very big, he smiled. He could tell this guy was interesting, in a sort of positive way. It didn't seem like there would be any dangerous interaction between them, and he was glad the stranger had already proven to be helpful. He gladly welcomed him to the fire, telling the man his and Olabisi's name. "So, guessing you must be stranded out here too huh? I see you speak sign language, I saw you guys singing, so she must've alread told you some of whats happened. The other poeple that got stranded out here with us went out to get recourses, so we'er not alone. My name is Stacey and this is Olabisi by the way! Its nice to meet you!" He was surprisingly upbeat, getting out his words clearly for the man to understand and not feel threatened. Anyone who came by and immediately started helping was an ally until prove wrong, Stacey atleast wanted to communicate that even if the man couldn't speak english.

Olabisi Jana
Olabisi was happy that Stacey was willing to take her wet clothes for her. “Asante,” she thanked him, smiling timidly. When Stacey asked her what their conversation was about, she started to sign back parts of the conversation, before realizing the flaw in her communication method.

“We were talking,” she started, turning to Stacey, “about pneumonia: getting dry and finding shelter.” Now she was signing and speaking, a habit she had managed to kick in middle school. “We are at higher ground now and it doesn’t look like rain. So we should be ok to stay dry.”

Then she turned to the new-comer again, signing while speaking still. But she switched back to her favorite and most comfortable language, Swahili. It wasn’t that she would forget English, she just absolutly hated using it, and she wouldn’t, unless she made a conscientious effort to. “Kama alivyosema,” she started, signing as she spoke, “jina langu ni Olabisi Jana. Jina lako nani?” she said, reiterating what Stacey just said, and asking for the man’s name.

L Leavant Carver

((I feel this is painfully short....))

Last edited:
"...Name's Dusty." The tall man said, a slight bit louder than necessary, his tone and body language betraying the facade of calmness. There was stress visible on his face, and he kept slowly intertwining his fingers in a variety of ways, keeping his gaze on them.

"Dusty Tiles. Its...good that there are more people. Makes attacks from predators less likely." His voice was steady and at an appropriate volume now, but it was obvious that he was both relieved and worried. "It also means that most animals we could hunt safely will stay further away from anywhere we frequent."

After he spoke, he resumed his signing to Olabisi. - I take it you saw my tattoo. It's actually a reference to a bit of folklore that the closest friends I made there said fit me pretty well. An ancient tale tells of a huge school of golden koi swimming upstream the Yellow River in China. Gaining strength by fighting against the current, the school glimmered as they swam together through the river. When they reached a waterfall at the end of the river, many of the koi turned back, letting the flow of the river carry them away.
The remaining koi refused to give up. Leaping from the depths of the river, they attempted to reach the top of the waterfall to no avail. Their efforts caught the attention of local demons, who mocked their efforts and heightened the waterfall out of malice. After a hundred years of jumping, one koi finally reached the top of the waterfall. The gods recognized the koi for its perseverance and determination and turned it into a golden dragon, the image of power and strength. -
Dusty paused for a moment, and then resumed signing, a dry chuckle escaping him.
- Given what I've gathered of this situation, I'd say I've hit the point of my life where the metaphorical waterfall first comes into play. -

L Leavant Carver
Elise Ebele Elise Ebele
\<=-=>/

Mila shivered, clutching the fruit in her arms. She noted the drips of sweat rolling down her brow. How long have I been out here? Glancing around, she noted the darkness settling around her and the cold seeping through her bones. Shaking her head with another shiver, she tucked the fruits under her arm and set off back towards where the others were hopefully still camped. As she walked she let her thoughts drift a bit, analyzing the situation. Looking down at her still wet clothes, she raised her eyebrow in shock at just how inconvenient this situation was. Is this a fucking joke? I get stranded on an island that could easily give me pneumonia in a tube top and cargo pants?
Not only was the tube top putting Mila at a higher threat of freezing, but the excessively baggy cargo pants weighed her down. She slid her hand into her pocket just to find it filled with cold water. "Eugh!" She recoiled, withdrawing her hand. "God, I hate myself right now." She soon came into a clearing along the coast, spotting the others farther down. Raising her pace to a jog, she plopped down into the sand at their feet.
The orange sky cast cast her face into a warm glow, and the fruits gleamed to her hungry eyes as she pushed them forward. "Not much but what I could find." Looking each of them in the eye, she wagged her finger strictly. "Hold back. We all need some food, but as little as possible." Sending a tired smile to the group, she snatched a pomegranate and admired its shine in the sunset. Wiggling her sharp nail into the fruit, she tore it open and scooped a handful of the sour seeds into her mouth.
Letting out a relieved sigh, she leaned back until she was laying in the cool sand. Her hair spread around her face like a halo, and she gazed up at the slowly appearing stars. "Um, I think pneumonia is a probably a pretty serious threat for me." She said, gesturing at her outfit. The food had sweetened her attitude, and she was thinking more clearly than before.
((Hey, I'm back! Sorry if I miss tagging some of ya'll))
Elise Ebele Elise Ebele JusticeCarpenter JusticeCarpenter L Leavant Carver

((Welcome back :) ))

Olabisi Jana

Olabis was suddenly startled when the newcomer introduced him self. His voiced boomed louder than she had expected and she was very quick to cover her ears. She wasn’t trying to be rude, it was just a reflex. Noise startled her. For a moment, all she could think about was how much she wished her Nduguye were back with her all ready. Being in a new place with new people wore her out quickly, and she wanted to retreat.

But then, the guy started talking a bit softer, and she was able to move her hands from her ears, slowly. Dusty, huh? He didn’t seem like a bad guy, and she was glad she could finally put a name on him. When he started to sign to her the story of the koi, she was rather intrigued, and moved her hands completely from her ears as he went on. She even chuckled some when he mentioned the water fall in his own life at the moment. -I have never heard that story- she signed to him.

As Dusty finished un his story, The girl from before ((Mila)) had finally come back. Olabisi could not quite remeber her name. But, she was nice enough to come back with food, and share it with every one. O didn’t know if she could really bring her self to eat, as being around this many people was now a social situation she did not know how to handle, and she was still worried about her Nduguye. Both things made her stomach uneasy. However, in a gesture not to be rude, she took one of the fruits any way. She could save it for Obediah. As she reached, she signed to The girl -Thank you- and at the same time said, “Asante.”

dazzling dazzling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back