Other Giving up on being me?

minajesty

𝘢𝘬𝘢 𝙈𝙄𝙉𝘼 !
Its something I have thought a lot about lately. I like my style (which is labeled emo). I am a pretty edgy person, I'll admit. But not a lot of people on here and in real life like that. Sometimes people even get annoyed with me being edgy. Yeah ill admit, I have my moments but im sharing my life with you all. And believe it or not, my life is edgy. Messy. Horrible.

But I have recently started thinking about giving it all up. People think Im being fake. Im not fake. Im sad and depressed most of the time, thats reality for me. Thats all I know. My emotions aren't fake. And since people think I am being fake, then whats the point of me being myself. Should i just give it all up and start fresh? You think its a phase im going through, but is not. Its my life.

But my desperate self wants people to like me. I want to be liked. I always have wanted that. And im starting to think that dropping my true self is what it takes.

Last edited:
Even though my story isn't the same as yours and neither are my problems, I do understand the feeling. The only advice I can give you is to not give up on being yourself. A piece of my history taught me that the only thing worse than being fake so others like you, is losing your true self. It might feel like people will never like you for who you are but believe me, you'll find people in the end. It took me years to find myself again and the traits of my personality I thought annoyed people seem to now be the most loved traits by others. It'll come, but don't give up on yourself. Express yourself in whatever way works best for you no matter what and people will come around eventually. To be happy with who you are is most important.

If you're sad and depressed, and feeling like your life is a mess and you just want to be liked, I think the simplest answer is: Talk to someone.

Either talk to loved ones, or, if that isn't easy to do, see a counselor or doctor to get a referral. I've been in dark places, and I know the spiral that can come of it. What you need to do is focus on you. Focus on being happy with yourself, and finding things that you enjoy. And the easiest way of doing that, may just require getting that help.

Everything else is inconsequential if you aren't happy with you. Get there first, everything else will follow.

I can see where the problem lies. Or, so to speak, I have experienced the same problem myself. First, you have to realize that some people are just gonna be assholes, no matter what. Dismiss them and their opinions immediately. Now, there is another thing. No matter who you try to be, there will be people who hate you. Downright hate you. I'm gonna move onto my next point before concluding this piece.

You peg me as a realist. No optimist would ever be content with borderline depression and sadness. I can directly relate to this. I am not an emo, by any means. However, coming out of my teen years, I have matured and realized that my life fucking sucks. There is not a lot in my power to change this, so I embrace the pain and make it my own. Some might call me a mean prick. I embrace that and say to myself: fuck those people. Fuck the people who have nothing but contempt for my life.

I think that is enough to get my point across. Hopefully, you come to realize that there will always be hate, so the best thing to do is say fuck you(that rhymes). On the flipside of that coin, there will almost always be some people who have nothing against you. You just have to look hard enough.

I'm all for people being able to do them even if I do not "like" them. I understand the whole wanting to be liked thing, since heh, I used to be obsessed with how others saw me too.

Really, all I can say is to not give up on being yourself. You probably just lack the confidence to actually be yourself with so many people disliking your style, vibes, whatever, but you will not like trying to be something that you're not. Once you start not caring about what other people think, whenever that may be, and that also may take a lot of time just to get there, but once you do, you'll be a lot more confident and bold. And maybe even once you gain this new confidence, you'll start changing your personality. And maybe you'll like who you become in the process.

I'm not gonna drop that typical shit like, "Your own image of yourself should be the only one that matters!" because I understand how hard it can be to block other people's negativity out. But just do you, babe. That's really it. Find people who support you, especially with your depression and perhaps try to seek help? Easier said than done, but supportive and understanding people make a huge difference and having them is so much better than trying to be a loner because, "Nobody understands you." I promise you somebody will.

Just kinda going off my own experiences, but maybe what I've been through could help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back