• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Genie in a bottle, baby ~

Phi

oh baby baby it’s a wild world
This whole thing was one huge mistake, from the moment she didn’t agree to it to the moment she didn’t happily go along with it. Marrying this… slob of a man, whose body odor was constantly somewhere in between the fresh, acrid booze on his breath and the semi-metabolized warm and sour booze evaporating from his pores. If she had been asked to marry an absent man who ignored her, or one who had a taste for other women, or hell, even for other men, she wouldn’t have cared. But this beast was worse than no partner at all. Much worse, because when he came home, he wanted her.

That was it, she was done, her father’s trade contacts be damned. She had her own life to live and would make something of herself. She had friends, or at least contacts, or at least someone that would take pity on her and take her in for a few days, right? At the moment, she didn’t much care, as she tried to slam the front door of the mostly-wooden cabin as hard she could, though the sound it made wasn’t as satisfying as she’d hoped.

It was late afternoon, and a few of the nosier townsfolk watched as the nimble-footed redhead steamed out of her home and made towards the edge of the woods, hoping a bit of fresh air would bring down the hatred boiling in her blood. Most of her neighbors barely looked up from what they were doing, so used to the arguments going on in the house on the hill that her leaving wasn’t much of a surprise. But this time, it was for real. No disappearing for a few days and showing up again, begging him to take her back. Not this time.

Although Emmeline’s head was spinning, her feet found the familiar path into the woods, the one she walked after most arguments like this one. Letting her legs go on autopilot, her mind spun with the tension of the afternoon, going over the events again and again and again. As she always did.

But this time, when she had finally worked through everything in her mind, when her blood pressure was starting to return to normal, when the sun was starting to dip below the treeline, she suddenly realized she was in a part of the woods she had never seen before. Or at least, she wasn’t sure if she had seen it before, as there seemed to be no path, official or from the repetition of many townspeople’s feet. In fact, she couldn’t see the village at all.

She had nothing with her, no supplies, and a very notable lack of any sort of wilderness skill or natural-born resourcefulness. But though she had had some time to process the events of the afternoon, she still had a little too much leftover resentment to feel afraid. So she set off back in the vague direction she had come from, sure she would see something she recognized at some point.

Haunts Haunts

The world in which Faron resided was bleak. Dark, and empty, save for one mere window with which he could use to peer into the outside world, the forest that was once his. And in the beginning, the humans had been favorable. They had been obedient. Reverent, even. Their betrayal had eaten away at him for years. At first, he had believed only a small number of humans would have despised him enough to keep him locked away. But then, time had passed, and no one had come to release him. Two generations of humans had come and gone. And what had become of the other spirits? Surely, the humans could not have kept his disappearance a secret...

His prison in the woods left him little information. A great, spreading tree in the center of the forest had served as his vantage point for all that time. Wildlife would keep him company, and the tree had served as home for so many animals. Humans, on the other hand, were few and far between, and spirits such as himself were nowhere. He would see hunters from time to time, an insult to injury. He had never allowed hunting in his woods. Hunting, and reaping, that was what had made Faron so angry, and still to that day he considered himself justified. He had warned them, and they hadn't listened.

The sun was setting, and some of the songbirds were returning to their nest. Faron enjoyed watching. He had nearly wasted away, but seeing the woods flourish brought him some kind of hope. He stood, and leaned in against what seemed like an invisible wall, looking out into the forest tinged with the golden light of the sunset. A breeze flowed through the wildflowers. His brown eyes became almost glassy as he watched the songbirds in their routine. He ran his fingers through coarse brown hair absentmindedly, his mind nearly empty.

The chattering of the birds seemed to hush all at once; a sign that Faron knew to be a sign that something was approaching. His mind snapped to a focus in an instant. There, he could see a figure, a silhouette of a human, wandering in their direction. He almost thought it was a figment of his imagination. But he closed his eyes, covered his freckled face with one hand and put a finger to his temple, and when he opened his eyes the figure was still there.

The wanderer came closer, and Faron was able to get a better look. It was a woman, unaccompanied, no bag on her shoulder and no weaponry in her hands. Again, Faron closed his eyes, but the woman was still there. Strange. Lost, maybe? Humans had gotten lost in these woods before, but he couldn't remember the last time he had seen one alone, let alone unarmed. An excitement overwhelmed him, as it did when any humans came close, for surely it was only a human that had the power to free him. He watched her every movement with bated breath, barely blinking.

With every step, Emmeline's anger started to dim, replaced by a growing sense of 'something-isn't-right'. The light was starting to dip towards the tree line. The days were still warm, but Emme knew that the the cold would set in over night, and she didn't have any warm clothes with her, just a faded red apron tied over her normal tunic, which she hadn't even bothered to take off when she stormed right out of the kitchen.

The thought of potentially being a bit lost seemed to mix with her sinking energy levels and she stumbled towards a stump, sitting hard onto it and dropping her head into her hands, auburn locks falling forward, a twisted mess of old braids and combed-out lengths. She couldn't believe she was in this situation, only a few years after leaving her parents house. She had no trade, no friends, no family or child to put her hopes on. Something inside her snapped like a taut bowstring, and she began to sob in big, heavy gasps. Now, alone for once, away from the pressures of her family, her horrible husband and the nosy townpeople, she finally allowed herself to acknowledge the deep mourning inside herself at a life spent according to someone else's wishes. She could have been so much more than this.

But Emme wasn't one for great shows of emotion, not usually anyway, and she found herself feeling embarassed for her childlike tears, even though for once she was away from the prying eyes judging her weakness. She wiped at her eyes with the back of her sleeve and sniffled once, straightening her jaw. There was no time for feeling sorry, she'd have to find her way back to the village and find someone to stay the night with. All thanks to that fat, sweaty, drunken bastard...

The memory of his face came to her mind, of the sweat stains spilling down the side of his tunic, of his eyelids heavy with the drink, fat fingers reaching out towards her.. The anger bubbled up again and she turned to the nearest tree, a large and sturdy one, and kicked it with all her force.

"DAMN," she yelled. That hurt more than she expected. But it felt good too. It knocked some sense back into her. "Damn."

Last edited:
A bright, unnatural light seemed to overtake everything. It seemed like a force, pushing him out of his spot in the tree and onto lush green grass below. Faron had been ready for this moment for a long time, but still disbelief washed over him as he felt his hands and knees connect with the earth. He looked very much a regular human. He had a tall, athletic build, skin tanned and freckled although he had not felt the warmth of the sun in such a long time. His dark brown hair was coarse, and long, reaching below his shoulder blades and pulled behind him, two thin braids keeping the majority of it out of his face. He had a strong and confident demeanor to him even as he did not immediately stand from the ground, running his fingers through the blades of grass, a big and hearty smile plastered onto his face.

He turned his attention up to the great spreading tree. The birds had not been startled by the light or by the sudden noise. They started a lively song, almost like the songs they sung when spring first arrived after a long and bleak winter. The cold fall breeze was a welcome chill. He peered into the sky, dark and cloudy. Perhaps there would be rain soon. Faron uttered a great sigh of contentment as he observed them from a much more satisfying vantage point, nearly forgetting about the presence of the human girl. Finally, he got to his feet, straightening the simple brown cloak that he wore, and got a better look at the one who was his unintentional savior.

It was a human woman, her face raw with tears flowing freely. He understood that she had not meant to free him, but neither that nor her sorrows were enough to even slightly lessen the smile that was on his face. Now that Faron was free to roam his woods again, things would go back to their natural order. Whatever they had taken from the woods, it could all grow back. It would take time, and hard work, and surely a few key conversations with the villagers nearby. He would not make the same mistakes as he had in the past, for certain.

Faron took a few steps forward to stand facing the young woman. "You set me free," he said plainly. There was a smile on his face, unable to hide the growing excitement in his tone in spite of the emotion etched onto the woman's face. She would be happy when she understood what was happening. "I am the spirit of these woods," he explained to her. "And I was trapped here many years ago. I thank you for setting me free." He outstretched his hand to her so that she may shake it. "What is your name?"

As a blinding light overtook the clearing, Emme stumbled backwards, throwing an arm over her eyes protectively. Her feet tangled in the thick underbrush as she stepped blindly backwards, but somehow she managed to stay upright. Everything happened so fast, it was almost impossible for her to process what was going on. One moment, she had been sure that she was more alone than she had been in a very long time, and the next, there was a light so piercing, it was as if the sun itself had burst and sprayed droplets of radiance down over everything below. As her vision slowly spread back in, slinking in from the periphery, she was shocked to see a human form kneeling on the ground. For a moment, she stood totally still, paralyzed by shock and without the slightest ability to form a coherent thought, nonetheless figure out what might be going on in front of her.

Then he began to speak utter nonsense, clearly extremely disoriented, and her suspicion that something was really wrong grew dramatically, "Free? What? Were you stuck here? Are you lost?" She babbled anxiously, the words spilling out of her like bubbles in an overboiling pot as her mind reeled to catch up to her senses. "Easy, easy, don't stand up." If the man passed out now, he would have no hope. Emme would have to find her way back to town, the direction she was still unsure of, and get some of the townsmen to come help. Even if they could find this spot again, by the time they dragged an unconscious man of some stature back to the medic, well.. it would be close to useless.

Despite the clearly dire situation, Emme was suddenly self-conscious and wiped dramatically at her face with her sleeves, inhaling loudly to clear her nose. She was a woman who cared deeply about what others thought of her and wouldn't dare confess when something wasn't working out well for her. Even her gentle-tempered neighbor, Imania, who would often come over after a particularly loud disagreement, bringing tea and biscuits. No, no, everything's fine, Emme would say, Last night, no, that was nothing. Just a fit of passion, really. Even if she wanted to share her burden, she found that looking into a sympathetic, often pitying, face would completely take the voice out of her throat. It was only here, in the safety and, as she had thought, anonymity of the clearing that she let herself finally feel all the things she kept bottled away for the sake of her pride. But now, faced with another human, and a young and rather handsome one at that, her prideful timidity overtook her again.

Emme took a few audible deep breaths and steadied herself. This man was hurt, and needed help. Clearly he was extremely disoriented, potentially drunk or suffering from a concussion. And there was no one here to help but her. "Easy," she cautioned, as he stood, "My name is Emmeline. Emmeline Fulcher. You're here in the woods, a good distance from town, and I think you might be hurt. Do you remember how you got here?"

Faron paid little mind to the girl's kind protest, and he waved a hand in quiet dismissal when she discouraged him from standing up. He was pleased by her gentle mannerisms, although he was a bit disappointed that she didn't shake his outstretched hand. Perhaps that wasn't the courtesy anymore. Nevertheless, he nodded, and patiently listened to her concerns. It was natural she would be confused, he supposed. He was far too excited to worry himself with any of that. He listened to her introduction with enthusiasm and a bright smile, clapping his hands together in satisfaction.

"Emmeline Fulcher. Such a beautiful name," he said kindly. "I understand that you would be confused, Emmeline. I've been absent for so long. I go by the name of Faron, and I represent the beings that live in these woods." He walked to the tree, to the source of the bright light, and looked at her expectantly. "I remember how I got here, yes. I was trapped here, by humans, in this very tree. Back when it was a mere sapling. Take a look... but mind that nest down there." He gestured to a small hole located at the roots, then he ran his fingers over the carvings on the tree, watching her to make sure she understood. The carved symbols had been distorted from growth, but still resembled a complex drawing of flowers and a tree. "I was trapped nearly a hundred years ago. You've heard the stories, yes?"

Then, he looked up at the songbirds. They were hopping from branch to branch above the pair of them, curiously watching. Their chatter was like the excitement they got when spring weather was coming after a long winter. A few of them fluttered shyly around Emmeline, and he smiled approvingly. "Right now, I am only interested in planning a celebration of my renewal," he said, wistful, as he began to wander from the tree, spinning in the occasional circle just to get a good look at everything. It was growing rapidly dark, but the forest was growing lively in an unusual burst of activity. Those animals that slept at night were awake. Even fireflies emerged from the darkness in an unseasonal display. "I hope you don't mind the attention. This is too special of an occasion."

Suddenly, Faron stopped walking, and turned his attention back to Emmeline. "Forgive me," he said earnestly. "I do not mean to disregard your sorrows. I am devoted to repaying you for the kindness you have shown me in any way I find possible." He outstretched his arm in an invitation for her to hold onto it. "Come, walk with us. We will stroll the forest as we discuss things. I'd like to take a look around. And I would like to hear more about you, Emmeline. What was it that upset you? What brought you into the forest tonight?"

Emmline wasn’t sure what to trust: her eyes, which told her that she had just stumbled upon a delusional man who seemed to honestly believe he was some sort of forest spirit that was probably in dire need of medical attention, or her ears, to which he was spinning a tale that resounded with the tales she had heard as a girl. Growing up not far from the edge of the forest, she had spent many hours playing underneath the shade of the ancient trees. Two sticks tied together with a scrap of fabric from the cut of an apron became her doll; a duplicate, her prince. Tucking her in at night, her mother had told her stories of a forest spirit of days past, not as something that actually existed, but as a memory from the time of her ancestors. She had always found the idea rather comforting, though her mother seemed to find the idea of a spirit out here in the woods unsettling in some way.

As the man pointed out the carvings on the tree, Emmeline knelt to get a better view. It was true, there were markings there, but nothing that couldn't have been made by a rather artistically talented child or teenager, and many years ago from the looks at that. She touched one gingerly with her finger, but it was simply bark and tree. Still, sometimes the best thing to do with someone in a state of mania is to play along a bit, as to not startle them. She also had no idea where she was exactly, so there weren't that many other options available to her, especially as night seemed to be falling.

Hurrying to catch up to the man who was clearly bubbling with a type of euphoria, or mania even, she appraised him once more. Although she found herself rather weary of men she didn't know, or as time passed, actually all men in general, she took the stranger's hand. Still, she was surprised that he inquired about her, though the question brought blush rising to her cheeks. "Oh, you noticed that, well..." she stumbled, "It's nothing really, just a bit of a disagreement," she defaulted back to her own stubborn shyness, which she felt protected her from the judgmental gaze of others, even if an outlet would have been something she desperately needed. "I- I live in a nearby village and simply came for a walk to clear my head. Nothing out of the ordinary, really, I grew up near these woods and well.. yes-- now I'm babbling." She felt her hand grow slick in his palm.

And, as to distract from her own struggles, which really were quite minor given the situation, she continued: "Okay, so you’re a forest spirit. Can you.. I mean… is there some way for you to – prove it?” Though if she were paying more attention to the forest around her, or was more acquainted with the signs of nature in general, she might have noticed the rather uncharacteristic creatures all around. It was almost as if they were just as euphoric as the stranger was. “And let me mind my manners.. did I get your name?”

Faron took Emmeline's hand, wrapping her fingers in his, the smile never leaving his face. He walked close to her as they went through the forest, mostly watching the sky and the nature around them. He would occasionally glance over to her to show that he was still listening, hiding any skepticism as she nervously tried to dismiss his questioning. "A disagreement?" he muttered thoughtfully, one eyebrow raised inquisitively. "If it was enough to cause you tears, then I think it isn't nothing. If it troubles you, then I won't press. But don't feel ashamed for talking; I am overjoyed to be hearing a kind voice. I've heard very little of people."

His smile only wavered in a quick disappointment when she asked him for his name again. "Faron," he reminded her, not unkindly. He knew that humans were not the best of storytellers. It was with that thought that he wondered if the humans got the story right at all. They surely could have painted him as being their villain, locked away in a heroic piece of folklore for crimes against the human race. It seemed that Emmeline was not familiar with him, which only led to his growing disappointment. But maybe it would be better that way. A new beginning would be fitting. Her request for proof regained his excitement, as he never passed the opportunity to show off. Faron took a quick glance around, and pulled her between some shrubbery and into a grassy clearing. He looked up at the gap in the trees to admire the sky. The first stars could be seen in the evening already through the gaps in the trees, free of clouds to obscure the moonlight.

He turned to face her, and there was a hush from the birds and insects making noise around them, and everything seemed to grow still. The cold fall air flowed through the flora, and Faron looked down, gesturing for Emmeline to do the same. Blue, purple and white flowers began to grow, and in the time of a few breaths began to bloom, forming a circle around them. "Larkspur and harebell," he said, breaking the silence. "They're some of my favorite flowers." It wasn't yet too dark to get a good look at them, especially with the added twinkle of light from the fireflies. Faron bent down with her to study the wildflowers, using his free hand to trace along the petals.

After taking some time to appreciate the flowers, Faron stood up again, eager to continue their walk. The musical chattering resumed, and the night seemed lively again. Gradually, the animals became less cautious towards Emmeline, more curious. "I must express my gratitude to you," he said thoughtfully, pulling her close to him again. He walked slowly and carefully, with the occasional warning to his companion to mind any small creatures that might wander underfoot. He rambled onward, posture inflating, a tone of grandiosity entering into his voice. "Such a heroic act deserves an extravagant reward. I'll have to give that some thought. To start, a celebration is in order. We're just in time for the equinox. A great party... do you like parties, Emmeline?"

It felt strange to have her hand suddenly linked with this man’s, this man who she had just met in the middle of the forest, who certainly wasn’t her husband. Emmeline, however, found she liked it in some way, feeling that by not pulling away, she was committing some tiny act of resistance against those aspects of her life she had come to resent. Plus, his fingers were warm and smooth in hers, and they comforted the part of her that was lost in more than one way. Still, she didn’t acquiesce to talking more about her personal issues, she had too much concern for her dignity still.

As they walked through the forest hand in hand, Emme began to notice the chain of blinking fireflies dancing low and seeming to surround them. The birds in the trees were uncharacteristically loud for dusk, sounding almost exultant. And was that family of mice following them? Still, she felt justified in asking for proof. Suddenly, as a response, Faron pulled her into a clearing off the path and her heart immediately started to pound in her chest, remembering that this was indeed a strange man and one with a rather strong grip. Maybe trusting him blindly would only lead her to more trouble than she came out here in.

What he was about to show her made her thoughts swell in a totally different direction, though. Kneeling, she studied the delicate flowers that she had just seen positively spring from the earth into full bloom. For a moment, she was at a loss for words, rubbing softly at a pale purple petal. “Wow,” she breathed, “So you really...?” Emme turned to him then, looking straight into his eyes and pausing again in shock. “You just made those grow?” It didn’t make sense, it couldn’t make sense unless she believed his story. Here they were, in the dusk, in the rapidly cooling evening, and those flowers sprung perfectly formed into life, in a circle around them. That could hardly be a coincidence. Yet the idea that there really was a forest spirit was difficult to believe, and most of all that he would have resided here, close to this backwater town with its simple, nosy people.

But before Emme could think much more about it, she was drawn up again in the unhalting energy of her new companion. He seemed to tug at her hand, to skip rather than walk, as she lagged behind, her mind still scrambling to synthesize all the new information. “A party? What kind of party? Oh I don’t know...” she answered to his question, not really able to reply about the reward he was insinuating or quite sure why she should receive one at all. Besides, Emme wasn’t exactly the social type and wasn’t sure what kind of party this man wanted her to show up to, especially hand in hand like this. Increasingly, though, she was starting to realize that things weren’t always what they seemed with him, though she wasn’t yet quite sure what that meant.

Faron beamed with pride at Emmeline's amazement, and he nodded. He reveled for a moment in the quiet of their voices, listening only to the creatures around them. But as he thought more about the connotations of her words, he gave her a more curious look. "You really don't know about magic, do you?" He supposed it made sense. A lot of knowledge could be lost over the span of so many years. It would have to be investigated, but for now, he wanted no serious or unpleasant thoughts in his head. He wanted only to enjoy the scenery of the woods, a stretch of his legs, and a pleasant conversation.

He chuckled a bit at her reaction to the suggestion of a party. "You don't need to be so shy," he said lightly. "Although I find your humble demeanor endearing." Her response made him better understand that she wasn't the outgoing sort, so he considered the answer to her question for a moment. "I like parties, myself... I like music, and dancing. As for the people, though... it doesn't have to be a big party, not at all." It was easy for him to forget that they were only strangers to each other, and that it would make sense for Emmeline to be more reserved, cautious. Faron was not so socially conscious, but that was simple enough for him to understand. He was persistent in prodding for more information from her, but he tried to be gentle about it. "Do you have a big family, Emmeline?"

As he realized she was falling behind him, Faron finally realized that his companion didn't match his energy. He slowed his pace to a calmer stroll, taking more time to admire the scenery. He was hardly mindful of the rapidly darkening state of the world around them. They reached an old pathway, and Faron stepped over it back into the overgrown wilderness. In spite of how things had grown, he knew the layout well enough that he walked with confidence. Soon enough, the sound of running water could be heard, and a small stream could be seen in the gaps between the trees.

It seemed hard to focus on one thing for all too long, and both of them seemed overwhelmed for all too different reasons. Faron was getting ahead of himself. He stopped his erratic walking, closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath of fresh air. "Would you like to sit down for a bit?" he asked, although his tone made it sound more of a suggestion than a question. Finally, he released her hand, and gestured to a grassy patch near the stream that seemed like an inviting place to sit down. "I'd like to hear more about your life, and about the state of things in your village. I'm sure a lot of things have changed."

Magic. A word that was heard mostly in whispers, a concept that seemed both proven and unproven at the same time. As a child, she had heard many stories of magical creatures, of humans with innate gifts, of god-like beings hidden away in corners of the earth. By candlelight, perched on the end of her bed, her mother had spun her tales filled with these themes, though always with the resounding message to be careful because those on the receiving side of magic often got more than they bargained for. The stories were told in not more than a whisper, stopped abruptly at any sound of her father's heavy boots at the front step. The women knew that he found the stories to be nonsense, a waste of time, a fickle fantasy. Yet Emme's mother had been determined to share them with her, both to educate and warn her of the world around her. Emme had always thought them pure metaphor.

Her mother's passing was years gone now, when Emme was just coming into her own, growing into her body. The sharp, raw pain of losing the only person she had ever truly felt close to was now not more than a dull burning, an undertone to the sharper pricks of life. Emme had thought back to the stories they shared many times, but never truly considered if they might hold some truth. Now, though, prompted by Faron's question, she began to wonder exactly what her mother knew.

"Magic..." She tested the word on her tongue as if afraid it would snap back at her, feeling her palms beginning to sweat in his grasp. "Is that what... Is that what that was?" The flowers springing from the earth, the animals chattering around her... But when her mother had spoken of magic, it was more destructive, more chaotic, unable to be controlled even by those who claimed to be formed from it. She dropped Faron's hand then, her head spinning. Yet it seemed to him to be a minor question, as he carried on chatting to her as if nothing were unusual about the situation at all. They walked on as he asked about her family, talked about some sort of a party, but what were they celebrating? And soon, it was all too much.

"Wait! Wait, wait, wait..." She stammered, her knees weak and the shock of the moments before building. "So that.. You were really trapped in that tree? And you stand here and ask me of my family? You ask me of my townn, my relationship, my family, as if we know each other, without even stopping for a moment to explain to me what exactly is happening here?" She could feel herself starting to spin, not just in her vision but in her swirling thoughts.

Magic is not to be trusted. Those who claim to master it are mistaken because it cannot be mastered. It can be tamed like a wolf, but a wolf will not become a dog just because you will it to. Her mothers stories began to jump from her conciousness, throwing themselves at her thoughts. Young girls tricked into lives of servitude, or worse. Farmers cries for help with the harvest leading to strange mutations that made everyone ill. Stories she had figured were simply a middle-aged woman's attempt to explain to herself the things she did not understand.

Finally, they reached a spot to sit and Emme sat heavily on the grassy banks, falling like a sack onto the hard earth at Faron's gesture. "Before you ask me one more question," she said in a voice braver than she was feeling, "I need to know exactly what's going on here."

"Magic..." Faron beamed, nodding with pride as the word escaped her mouth, taking the expression on her face as one of awe and reverence. "Magic," he repeated, in a more sing-song voice. It was a disappointment that she didn't seem to speak of it with great familiarity, but as she released his hand and he rambled on, he put all feelings of discouragement behind them. Her demands to wait came as a shock to him, but he complied, turning to face her with all his attention as she began to express her confusion.

Faron's smile wavered when she turned the questions onto him. His expression turned weary. He was silent for a moment, choosing his words very carefully. The bravery in her voice was surprising, coming from the meek woman that had followed him there. It brushed him the wrong way, but her questions were not totally unexpected. "Forgive me," he said. At first, there was an edge to his voice, but it changed back into a more neutral tone. "I'm getting carried away. Too excited." He had been avoidant as well, hoping that he could distract her from the questions he did not want to hear. Shy as she was, he had expected it to be easier.

His smile became more natural as he watched her plop onto the grass. More delicately, he followed suit, folding his legs and running his hands through the flora. He reveled in the silence for a few beats as he considered his response to her concerns. A family of brown hares approached them, and Faron beckoned them to come between him and Emmeline. They both sat down in their spot, and Faron took turns gently petting them. "My story is simple," he said, in an almost dismissive kind of tone. "I have already told you the most important pieces. Just as you might expect, it is my purpose to protect these woods. I sought no conflict with the villagers... but I was steadfast in the rules I set. My rules were simple, too, and to this day I stand by them; there was a set territory not meant for human development, and there was to be no unethical reaping of natural bounties. Not unreasonable, yes?"

Sitting up straighter, Faron's dark eyes wandered over Emmeline for her approval. He did not wait long to continue, though, as he was happy to have Emmeline as an audience for his long-suppressed desire to speak. "There were a few villagers that I had disagreements with," Faron went on, highlighting the word she herself had used before. "Most of them were respectful. But there were those who disliked the rules, and wanted to get rid of me." He scratched a rabbit's ear absentmindedly, looking away from Emmeline and back into the running water.

Finally, Faron laid back into the grass, watching the sky, using one arm to prop his head up a bit. "There are many others like me... or there were, once. I have come to the conclusion that I am not the only one who has suffered a trap like that one." Faron sighed, and looked to Emmeline again to gauge her expression. He was pleased in his own choice of words, careful not to paint himself in any bad light. If magic was a mystery to Emmeline, she would have heard no stories to contradict his own.

"Some things are a mystery to me as well," he continued, as though uncomfortable with any periods of silence. "I've been isolated. But I'm happy to answer your questions. Just... don't ask me to relive the dark parts. Not yet, at least."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back