• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Game Master Assistance Program?

ManicMuse

I ax-o-lotl questions.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Situation: Lack of knowledge in coordinating game mechanics and management for role plays on RpN. Being a Game Manager in general, can be very taxing and require a wide range of skill sets to successfully navigate. Personally, I know I am lacking some of those skills. I have spoken to other members who also feel the same. Many of us would like an opportunity to learn in some fashion. Personally, I would love a hands on approach. Reading about the in's and out's of game management only goes so far, when dealing with so many different genres.

Proposed Solution: There are many different approaches that can be taken to bridge of gap. The question is, what do you feel is best for RpN?

Ideas :

>Much like the Interest check lists, maybe there could be a GM interest check list/recruitment. However, were there just a general GM interest check list, could be overrun with half baked ideas and people just wanting the validation of saying they ran a role-play but not pulling their weight. I feel this should have rigid regulations. Anyone submitting to the GM interest check must have, at least:

• A complete overview
  • Rounded out mechanics of said role-play
  • Know exactly what they are seeking in a Co-GM
  • A direct option for successful GM's to mentor an understudy

>Perhaps site Helpers and or Moderators could collaborate on putting out a few Tutorials in how to successfully begin GMing. If such Tutorial already exists, I have been unable to locate them.

>An environment that encourages co-collaboration on role-plays.

Benefits:

• Better educated writers on the site. Members with a new found appreciation for those that work so hard to make our experiences in their role-plays AWESOME.

• Potentially cut down on the amount of redundant, limping along to failing role plays on the site. Many people talk about how they get frustrated they put so much work into a role play character; only to have to role play die out because the Game Master did not feel they were able to continue the story for A, B, or C reason.

• Create a better experience for writers/players with the potential for more role plays that have co-collaboration. This will up the chances of role-plays having a higher quality to them.

Potential Obstacles:

• Depending upon the depth you guys choose to jump into on this, the project start up could be quite involved.

• If not done correct and with precision, this could create an area for squalor and unproductive horrors to spread out and disease the site!

• By encouraging more co-collaborations there will be an uptick in disputes about them. Which is why this project would need to be done with precision and the rules made very clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
We will never, in any way, limit who can and cannot start a roleplay. It breeds elitism and "I'm better than you" mentality.

Oh, I am not suggesting that! I was suggesting a place that people could find other people to co-gm with. Or people could learn with each other. In no way am I suggesting to limit who can ever create a role play. I was suggesting a tool like the interest check lists but for co-GMing. I am sorry if anywhere in that suggestion, there was an impression of limiting anyone's abilities to create.

Maybe I went a little over the top with the attempt at a fancy layout. Let me be a little more frank. I have no clue how to game manage a role play. I want to learn.

Where I could find information off site, that information may not pertain to relevant information that works on this site. I know there are many people that have the skills I am lacking. I know from talking with other members they have some of the same self doubts I do. I am not looking to limit anything. I want more tools. I want tutorials from successful game mangers on the site, I want their in sight. I want a thread I can directly go to, to seek out their advice. It would be awesome if it could go as far as having the ability to see out those that have the skills I am lacking but am in need of.

A perfect example is a story I am writing. It is going to be awesome, in my opinion. However, I want it to have a dice system. In theory I understand dice. In practice, I have no clue! A member, who happens to be a teacher of math has agreed to co-write with me so that we can create something awesome. Yet, while I have his input on that front, I over all still have the fundamental understanding of game management as I have never done it before!

I would love to have a place where I could seek role play projects that I could be apart of as the role of an understudy GM. Using my special set of skills to assist another with their story, so that together we could make great role plays and I can learn.

Perhaps, my idea is way out of line. I just wanted to make it clear, I am not way suggesting limiting creation. Due to my own lacking skills, I wanted a tool to expand myself and gain experience to be a better game manager for people on RpN.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, I feel like this would be something you could put into Roleplaying Advice and Feedback. ( :) )

I agree with Musician on this one. This kind of stuff is exactly what Roleplaying Discussion & Advice is for. That's why there's so many different prefixes to use. Mechanics, System, Players, and Advice/Help would probably be your best bet in terms of prefixes. Creating an entirely new forum for GMs is just too demanding on the already-incredibly busy mods and would create a split in the forums as a whole. There's also the fact that so many people have different GMing styles that actually work, that it would be hard to teach anyone one way of doing things.

I do suggest though, making a thread asking opinions on how to GM. Collect all of those opinions, and then highlight them on the front page. It may be what you're looking for on a smaller and more manageable scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back