• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Gallows Cats: 1700s Harry Potter RP

Bealocwealm

London -- 1707.

Queen Anne remains on the throne in her fifth year ruling, but it is now the throne of a unified Great Britain, rather than of the separate countries which make it up. The change seems to many purely cosmetic, a facade of unity and strength without underlying meaning or significance.

In the very same country, but among its now-hidden wizarding class, there is another upheaval -- the foundation of the British Ministry of Magic. Replacing a set of councils which stood before, this formalized, even modernized official body is seen as -- well. Purely cosmetic. A bit of a joke, with little relevance, surely something that cannot last. A club of posh witches and wizards pushing quills.

The Statute of Magical Secrecy has been in place for fifteen years now as a matter of international law. Muggle society is quickly forgetting, while wizarding society moves on, erecting higher and higher magical barriers for their own protection.

And yet there are inevitable cracks in the barriers -- young witches and wizards who expose their abilities, adults breaching the Statute with fantastical pets and impossible structures -- primarily in pursuit of the first, before they come to harm, in step a small group of this newly-founded Minstry, affectionately named "gallows cats".

A rainy day; a crowded street. Rumours -- and listening to these rumours, a young vagrant of a muggle, dressed in patchy, ragged clothes of brown, with a thick blue scarf wrapped round his neck. Known among some of the street children, dubbed none-too-creatively as "scarf boy". He, too, had at least a little gossip surrounding him, though heard usually at the lower levels of society.

"Scarf boy's kinda weird. Like he don't know how to look at you."

"I was gonna go down to beg on Wimpole street but Scarf Boy held me back, he was all funny and serious about it too. I figure maybe the beak was round there."

"I swear I saw him on a roof the other day? I don't know how the hell he coulda got up there..."

But it wasn't these rumours Scarf Boy seemed much interested in -- the slightest breath of magical doings he heeded with rapt attention. And it was easier when you knew -- at least a few -- of the words to listen for. He mulled through the crowd without purpose, sidling and weaving between people -- to hear them speak unguarded.

Corbyn Archibald William Jackaby Founder hurried through the rainy street his normally cheerful face pulled into a uncharacteristic grimace as he muttered to himself about paranoid old cats and jumped up muggle baiting apprentices. He had only just returned from a trip out of town to try to recruit a Master Cat to the newly formed Misuse of Magic Office, affectionately known as the Cat House among the scattered Ministry Officials.

The nickname being a playful or derisive reference to the fact that the Office currently consisted of a handful Gallows Cats and occasionally their pureblood witch patron. Unfortunately of the four employees at the moment only two of them were fully trained Cats capable of doing the work the Ministry required of them. The other two where Apprentices that for some reason or another hadn’t quite managed to get acknowledged by their Masters and had jumped at the chance to put the talents they did possess to some kind of occupation.

Still the Office desperately needed a proper Master Cat, someone with the experience to really use their skillsets to their fullest extent. But Ben was slowly starting to think that he had as much a chance overturning the newly formed Statute of Secrecy on his own than he did of convincing any of the Masters to take up with the new Ministry. They were a solitary lot and tended to have uniformly dismissive opinions about the Statute and the Ministry in general.

Which meant he either had to try to draw from the more talented Juniors who might be tempted by a promise of slightly more formalized work OR he was going to have to figure out a way to screen for Apprentices and start from scratch.

“I hope it doesn’t come to the Apprentices, Alstroemeria and Marion are a good enough sorts but the purebloods will have a fit if I tell them half my coworkers will need a good five years before their anything useful.”

Ben muttered under his breathe as he pushed through a crowd of Muggles towards the storefront hiding his current Office. Maybe he would get lucky and Delphinium had managed to convince his old Master to come out of retirement and help for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back