Galaxía Ateleíotes

@feywolf

[ a loud thump brings amusement into his voice. he hears a new voice on the line, deep and oddly reassuring. ]

"Did you just kick your comms? Nice." [ his tone remains rather inappropriately lackadaisical. ] "Hey man, 9J24 here, welcome to the party. Thanks for the advice, but I know I can't leave my ship yet, unless I wanna become prime peryton dinner."

[ there's a small squeak, like the sound of someone reclining in a worn chair. ] "No, they're not nearly as pretty as common perytons. They're like perytons, if perytons were more murderous and screeched like the devil. To be fair, I can't really see them well in the dark. I'm too afraid to turn on my auxiliary beams."

[ a low hum. ] "I don't really know how I got here. I was in orbit of this terrestrial planet in the Laurus- it was unidentifiable by my scanner, which meant that it was undiscovered." [ he sobers up. ] "Then, my scanner stopped working, and afterwards, something... something went horribly wrong. I don't remember what happened after that- oh, shit, I have another incoming transmission. Please hold."

@rusticyawn

[ hope filters into his tone as he hears the familiar voice. ] "97H1, you're back? Oh, uh, I'll keep talking, then. I'm good at that. I- uh- I'm a little messed up- I'm dizzy, probably from the bump to my head. Smashed into the front of my ship when it all went down. I'd check myself out at the medbay, but the path is... obstructed. The doors are on lockdown. But nothing feels life-threatening, and nothing is broken, so I think I'm okay." 

[ his voice darkens in tone, just slightly. ] "My ship is... messed up. Severe external damage, and the crash did a lot of shock damage to its systems. It's an old vessel, doesn't hold up well against absorbing impact. I've crashed into some badlands, and it didn't do my hull any good. She went into automatic lockdown. Man," [ a loud sigh ], "what a nightmare."

[ another monstrous screech rips out from the distance, almost as if on cue, distorting the transmission. a loud, exasperated shout rings out soon after. it's one hell of a commotion. ]

"Shut up! Shut up, you stupid deer things! Ugh, my head is going to explode. Not doing so hot right now-" [ the line suddenly goes dead. ] "Wait, 97H1? No, damn it!"

[ beeping and tapping noises can be heard as he switches back to a general line. ]

"7E76? Guy who told me to stay in my ship? Are you still there?"

[to @dim:] "Yeah I'm... astounded it's still working." [pause, a few switches clicking on in the background] "You should uh... turn your beams on. Try and work out where you are. Mine are on but all I see is black."

[mumbled to himself:] "Knew this would happen. It was just bound to fucking happen. [to group, angry:] "This bastard tells me these tanks are aluminium. Aluminium my arse. I want to ... maybe I should .. open my duct ... let it all out. What a waste of perfectly good Zyno." [a faint sniff] 

[to @ThaDruid:] "And uh... my name's Rat. Like the rodent, as the Russian says. Ha." [pause] "Uh... yeah, yeah. I see thick smoke. I mean, it's not exactly smoke. It's more just shadows. Shadowy."

[buzz of the radio] "Uh...hold on." [to @rusticyawn:] "Was that to me? No I can't... can't do anything about the distress signals." [slight sarcasm] "To be honest, I'm slightly more concerned about the fact that I'm stuck floating through the ether in an airtight room of fucking Zyno."

[static]

[buzzing sound, then beeping]

[Captain's voice]: This is [cough]... R4A6-D1I0. My ship has taken extensive damage. [another cough, possibly a bloody one] The ionic storm... Appears to have activated the remnants of, a planetary defence system... Missiles fired upon my ship. The munitions were no longer live, but the piloting system and engines have whole missiles stuck in them.

[static]

[captain] I am floating near the threshold of gravity pull with the planet, orbiting.

[cough. sounds of the medical droid streaming a constant medical commentary of his body]: Lower rib cage: Aligning. Fusing. Applying placeholder. Applying Gauze. Applying antiseptic. Right leg: Aligning bones. Creating incision. Fusing. Sewing incision. Sewing torn skin. Applying antiseptic. Applying gauze.

[pause]

[captain]: My name is Anthony. I am the captain of The Outlast V2, conducting trade in the outer regions. For all other ships receiving this signal, what is the status update? I am detecting the remnants of an ion storm having passed through here.

@ no one in particular

[ after a fairly long delay, alternating between loud mechanical clunking, distant muttering, electronic bleeping, and silence ]

[ to @feywolf, matter-of-factly & slightly flippant, with a hint of mischief: ] "Where I come from, noses are not for putting things into. That sounds wrong. Quite painful. Where I come from isn't Russia either, rodent man. But I agree with you about the kicking. Can be wery helpful repair technique actually. If only it would work on my effing shields. I-- oh, Gods, hold on, I think 9J24 might be getting eaten--"

[ to @dim & @rusticyawn, a frown in his voice, somewhere between concern and intrigue: ] "I hear you, 971H, but only just, there's-- I think planetary interference. Atmospheric. My radio's been totally zapped, its range is-- euch, wait-- 9J24, do you? It's 7E76. Or, Mischa. Wery still here. Nowhere to go with my shields all kaputt. You're wery loud, 9J24. Is that animals? Do you have animals in there?" 

[ an aside, to Rat: ] "Exactly what is Zyno? Is poisonous? In such a case I adwise wenting it. W-- v-- venting.

[ another clunky, rustley pause ]

[ to @Destructus Kloud, with startled excitement: ] "R4A6-D1I0! I read you, captain! I was wondering what was going on there. Good to hear you are alive. I would love to give you a status update but unfortunately my proximity scanners are absolutely effing zapped. I'm flying blind here. Well, you know, drifting, drifting blind. But I'm in touch with a number of other ships. Some seem to be planet-bound from what I can gather but the signals are, uhh, pretty, uhh--" [ zztttzzzz ] "--terrible. Did you say missiles? Who by the void is firing missiles?"

[ to 9J24-7ARK, a little distracted: ] "How are your thrusters? You may do better in orbit, my friend. Usually harder to get eaten in orbit. Usually."

[medical droid]: Temporary medical care complete. Powering off.

[Anthony]: It seems there were some inter-planetary defences remaining on the planet. The ion storm apparently reactivated it as I, being the only ship active at the time, warped in. I'm assuming you and whoever else you have contacted must either be grounded or affected by the storm and were not targeted. 

[wet cough]

[Ship AI] Captain status: Conscious. Objective complete.

[Anthony]: Scan for hostiles. Scan for crashed and deactivated spacecraft.

[really loud static]

[Anthony]: The missiles targeted the only moving threat. Myself. Evasion was ineffective, firing on them was ineffective. The missiles had their own shields. It seems the planet harbours some advanced technology. 

[pause]

[Anthony]: There is an unexploded missile protruding through the viewing port of my cockpit, as well as three missiles sticking out of the engines. I can no longer access the control unit, nor could my engines function if I could. Shielding is down. I have solar powered charging for my ship and a hydroponics lab. My distress beacon is active. Update completed.

[long pause]

[Ship AI]: Picking up several signals. Ship Code: [static] 9J24-

[heavy static]

[Ship AI]: 97H1. Ship Code: [static] 7E76. Opening channels. Continuing scan.

[Anthony]: Is anyone able to operate their spacecraft? There are several ships in distress in the area.

@ghostling

Last edited by a moderator:
[ to @feywolf ]

"Trust me, torshak, I'd love to not be sitting alone in the dark in a freezing cold wasteland, but I'm just in a bit of pinch right now- if 'pinches' could be categorized as murderous beasts circling me on all ends. I don't know how they react to light, and I don't know what else is out here. This is undocumented territory. I'm playing it safe until the sun comes up."

[ a tone of interest. ] "So, while I'm waiting it out, Zyno, eh? Me and Zyno go a long way back- is what I would say if I was trying to be cool. I've never touched the stuff in my life, but I've known plenty who've been really into that shit. I don't quite understand it. I gotta say, you're in one hell of a predicament. Are you just gonna sit and bathe in it, or are you going to let it out? Dunno what's better for you right now."

[ to @ghostling. there's some minor static plaguing the transmission to this particular individual. ]

"7E76! Uh, Mischa? You're here? Don't you think if I could've taken off and returned to orbit, I would've by now? I'm a reckless idiot, but shit, I'm not that much of a kata'arg-brain. These loud animals are going to make a feast of me yet. I feel like they would chase me into orbit, though. They're creepy, flying fuckers. But hey, more importantly, where's that sweet accent from?"

[ a series of beeps. the voice perks up once more. ] "Oh- nice, another transmission. Give me a second, I'm going to open this line. Please don't go. I mean- keep this line open." [ he stammers. ] "Sorry, my head's all fucked up. But, uh, you get me."

[ to @Destructus Kloud. there's even more static now, blurring out some of his words. ]

"R4A6? You sound ... you're in bad shape. ... Some kinda skirmish? Fucking... distance..."

[ the line cuts out, unable to be sustained much longer. he sighs as he returns to the other lines. ]

[ @rusticyawn mentioned. to anyone. ]

"So, status update to anyone who's listening. My name is Joji, or code 9J24-7ARK. I'm incapacitated on a dead planet in hostile terrain, for an indeterminable number of hours until sunrise. I can't calculate the time, because my scanner has gone to shit. 97H1, if you receive this transmission, give me a shout- I'm worried about you. So, anyone feel like chatting? All casual-like, while I stave off the fear of my imminent death? I'll keep my comms open."

[to ???] 

"...wait, huh? [small beeps start up admist the usual noise, signaling other lines piping up.] ugh, wait a minute..."

@feywolf "yes, you, 5U78. [a brief sigh] no, i didn't expect so. and zyno...? [incredulous] i misheard you, right? [playful] that's rich. you're gonna have to vent it eventually, so ahead get it over with if you haven't already. [quickly and disdainfully] and good riddance to it."

@ghostling "7E76-"

[a very loud round of white noise starts up.]

"...i can't hear you at all. i'll try you again a bit..."

@Destructus Kloud [rushed, slightly distracted] "hi. anthony, was it? i've been a little busy, but i heard that part of your message. the name's ardy. and it depends on what you mean by operable. my engine's failing. or failed - i'm honestly not sure. i might be able to help in like... an hour maybe? everyone i've talked to has been even worse off. i don't think anyone's been unscathed. [long suffering sigh] please tell me otherwise..."

@dim

"ugh, gods, i think i'm getting the lines confused. but i heard you over the wide-range radio - i'm sorry that i made you worry. you're joji, then? i'm ardy. like i said, you don't need to worry about me, just yourself. i heard your last transmission - these things are recorded, i'm on the job. what the fuck was that noise? didn't you say something was trying to eat through your hull? geez, do you usually have this shit luck?"

[there's a temporary pause, the machines whirling up and briefly becoming unbearably loud. there's a sudden sound of electricity violently sparking up, followed by a loud yelp.]

"[to AI] fuck off! you told me to drill there! [back to joji] ah, sorry. again, totally fine. do you think there's anything i could do for you, joji...? is the lockdown able to be overridden, like, at all?"

[To @BlightGiver]

[Silence, then a click and background static]
"Thank you, frequency 5. I have no power to my systems, so I can't --"[Aborted coughs]" -- I can't scan for your identification code, but thank you. Sitting tight, Over."

[Switches click, a Dial clicks in slow tempo, radio switches channel]

[To @ghostling
"Hello? Frequency 26? I don't -- an identification code for you -- you're transmission -- weak -- me. I have -- coming my way -- but I am -- need -- skill set. Frequency 26, -- you read me? -- Over."

[ to @Destructus Kloud, with concern and a not insignificant amount of confusion: ] "Unexploded what, captain? Gods. Things are not sounding so good on your end. Are you in immediate danger right now? My ship is not exactly equipped for shaking off-- effing missiles. Are you planet-bound?"

[ a pause, faint tapping of controls ] "Yes, yes, my ship is operational. Sort of. Almost. 7E76-549A here, officially almost operational. I mean, I'm still floating. Does that count?"

[ to @dim. a little faint and crackly under the static, sounding like he's fighting to make himself loud enough to be heard. a touch frustrated: ] "You know, 9J24-7ARK, it's sounding like you are perhaps being rude. But because the line is bad I will give you, uhh," [ brief hesitation ] "Benefit of doubt, because I do not know what kata'arg is. To answer your question, though, I come from Olympian Colony Outpost Uteshigorius Nine Gamma Three, in the Galaxia Kyklos sector Twelve. Usually, we just call it Uteshigorius. I would be surprised if you have heard of it. Wery small place. I--"

[ with a wince, at the sudden burst of static from @rusticyawn ] "--ow, the f-- what was that-- 971H, was that you? wh--" 

[ excessive clattering. some kind of squawk, from Mischa himself. ] "--yes, you stupid effing machine, gods, just--"

[ after several minutes of silence, pretty sheepish, slower than before, to Joji: ] "...9J24? Still there? Did you say J-- Joji? ...I am still here. 7E76, me. Not really going anywhere. Not for a while, by the looks of things, either."

[ to @Detective Rascal, slightly vexed: ] "Me? You are talking to me? Am I Frequency 26? I'm reading, um, something, I think. Code 7E76-549A, if it helps. Um -- good luck?" 

[grunting sound, followed by another bloody cough]

[Anthony @dim]: My ship is partially damaged. Multiple hull breaches. I- [static] -ccess port. It seems to have been the reactivated planetary defence system. The ion storm must have- [static then silence]

[pause]

[static, then Anthony @rusticyawn]: I will attempt to scan for your specific location, I may be able aid you in ship repairs via outside scanning analysis. Standby.

(I'm allowed to do that right?)

[clatter of bits of metal and tools of some sort]

[static]

[Anthony @ghostling]: An unexploded missile, Mr Knox, I believe? Had the munitions not have been from a past era, my ship would have been render fragmented along with my body. My body is going into shock and I can no longer control my movements efficiently. I am attempting to remain conscious with difficulty. I have been pierced in the lower torso by a metal beam and my right leg was crushed. My ship is drifting around the planet's orbit but is not operable.

[to @ghostling:] "Rodent man?" [a raspy laugh] "That's a new one, I must say. And you've never tried Zyno, Russian boy? You're missing out. I'm gonna hook you up with some as soon as we get this shit sorted. It's like... it uh... it's a kind of ... hallucinogen. You've heard of them, right?"

[slight interference on the line and then a sigh. to @rusticyawn and @dim:] "But yeah. Fucking Zyno. You heard me. I don't... I don't want to get rid of it... do you realise how expensive this shit was? I'll just..." [uncertain] "I'll wait it out... see how much longer I'm gonna be stuck in here. I can't just vent thousands of credits worth of the stuff."

[clattering as he tries to clean the ship] "God. It's everywhere." [to everyone] "So... let me just - agh shit - let me just... get this straight. I heard a Joji... a Knox ...? An Anthony? Russian boy? How many people do we have listening? Is anyone making any kind of progress?" [quiet for a momet, then, trying not to sound anxious:] "It really is very dark out there." [a little sniff] 

@rusticyawn

[ audible relief. ] "I'm glad you're okay, Ardy. [ complaining ensues. ] Man, everything's just going to utter shit on my end. I got these massive, horned, flying monsters vying for my entrails, while this trash heap of a ship won't even let me out of the cockpit. I can't see anything that isn't in the very faint glow of these little lights next to all the switches and my display, which, of course, is nothing more than my own hands and arms. Needless to say, it's not good. I believe all the bad luck I've pooled over the years has come back to haunt me to my bitter end."

[ the startling noise of crackling electricity over the line alarms joji, who sounds concerned. ] "You good over there? Sometimes, I'm glad my ship is too outdated for an AI system. The only thing that's not pilot-operated is this... [ annoyed huff. ] damn automatic lockdown system. I couldn't figure out how to disable it. Heh, I'm a technician, wouldn't you know? I think, however, it can be overridden. There's a control panel somewhere in here, but... well..."

[ sheepish. ] "Well, it's pitch black all around, and I can't see where it is. Real lame, I know, but I'm unfortunately diurnal. Like I said, I'm holding out 'til dawn. Then, I'll be able to do... anything, really."

@ghostling

[ he receives transmissions on 7E76's line again, and so he deadpans. ] "Come on, Mischa. I'll have you know, in the twilight of my life, I am being sincere as can be. Yeah, I'm being dramatic- wait, actually, I'm not! I'm only a very flimsy and very old metallic sheet away from certain death- kinda forgot for a second there."

[ misplaced enthusiasm. ] "Oh! Hell yeah, I love it when I get to explain to people the weird ass fauna living in my homeland for the first time. A kata'arg is a great creature, sort of resembling an Earthen elephant, that lives in extreme subzero climates. They're most known for accidentally hurtling to their own deaths off of the tops of icy mountains. They are just... so super silly." [ he mellows out. ] Anyway, uh, that's a whole lot of words for a small place I've never heard of. Maybe I'll visit there someday, if I make it out of here alive. You should show me around."

[ a thoughtful hum. ] "Well, I'm rambling again. I'm pretty sure you didn't even receive half of that. Yeah, I'm still here, Mischa. If you're stuck, and I'm stuck, then it looks like we're in for a good while of chit chat. Aren't you glad I'm so good at talking at length?"

@feywolf

"Oh, hey, dude. I'm Joji, that's me. Ugh, shit, my head is killing me. If I had a chamber full of Zyno, I'd probably scooping that shit up my nasal passage by the gallon. [ a tired sigh. ] Fuck, I'm exhausted- wish I could sleep through the night, but I'm afraid I might slip into a coma. Uh- that wasn't a cool quip, by the way, I'm genuinely concerned. Any medics on the line?"

@Destructus Kloud

"[pleasantly surprised] huh? oh, gods, that's fantastic. i really don't think the AI knows what the fuck it's asking me to do. i'm not an engineer, but i don't think this screw's supposed to go where it's telling me. [barely audible] there's not even a hole here! stop telling me - oh, that's where.... uh... [back in focus] well, anyway, i'm not an engineer. so let me know if that pans out. 

[the line clicks, as if it's been switched over, but after a moment, it comes back on.]

uh... actually, are you alright...? i just realize that clattering didn't come from my end. [wary] let me know..."

@feywolf

"don't be stupid. you're not going to be able to vent it later. you're just going to get more and more fucked up, and soon you won't even know what's happening. what's any of us gonna do for your ass then?"

[she inhales deeply.]

"i'm making progress. it's slow coming, but, it's coming."

@dim

[there's a hum of constant noise on her end as she listen's to joji's plight, occasionally punctuated with the sound of a gear being turned or a tool being turned on.]

"mmhm, i'm mostly fine, trust me... and let me get this straight - you're a technician? haha, oh gods, i really wish we could trade places right now. i probably couldn't do anything about the lockdown, but at least you'd be able to fix this engine. hopefully this guy on the other end knows can help me out. maybe if all goes well, you'll avoid your bad luck yet."

"hmm... and actually, in the meantime, i have like a little manual on mass-produced starships in my computer's databank. i don't know if it'd help - i've never had to read the thing until now - but wouldn't hurt to ask. what's your ship's model? it might not even be in here if it's outdated enough now to not even be AI compatible... where did you get that thing?"

@ghostling

[the line is clearly open, but the white noise quietly persists.]

[inaudible]  "huh... i've never had this problem before. then again, usually don't use long distance lines... wonder how far away this one is...? alright, just let me... computer, try adjusting channel frequency?"

[in and out of focus, the chords of a very recognizable, very chintzy earth pop song start to play.]

[inaudible] [embarrassed] "is that still going?! ugh, computer, shut off channel!"

[the transmission ends, the channel closing.]

[over the wide-range radio, audible to everyone but directed toward mischa] [especially frustrated] alright, 7E76, i have no idea what's up with your radio, but if you can hear me now, let me know. [mumbled] gods."

[clicks and buzzes from radio] "Sorry, I only managed to catch half of that." [scratches cheek] "Can you give me details of that planet. I-hel-ship----"

[interference from consistent other messages interrupts signal]

[ship AI]: Recalibrating communication channel.

[breathes a sigh of relief, clear throat] [to @Detective Rascal] "Visuals of what the planet's surface is like would be helpful. My hyperdrive is almost ready."

[buzzing, then silence]

[to @feywolf] "Progress? I'm still not sure what happened to you all; I'm currently heading off to help someone. Do you have an account of what actually happened to your ship?"

[sudden soft static, a painful cough] "Ah, mh -" [indistinct cursing, muttering] "God! You guys just never shut u-" [coughs] "Ok - Ok! I'm good. I'm really good. Yeah.." [sharp breath in and out, talking fast] "Right. Ok. You're not the most cheery of folks to welcome me back to the living, yeah? Like.. God. What even is this, ah, tragedy fuckin' hotline?" [aggravated hair ruffling, muttering to himself] "Someone please knock me back out already. I want to die peacefully, you know? ..." [silence, followed by a soft thud of forehead upon dash]

[distant, calm ship AI] << Master Ip, we have detected multiple fractures in the ship's protecti- >>

[shortly interrupted, voice further away] "Yes! I know! I can see! That's not even my name, please just shu-"

[pleasantly speaking over] << Do you wish to input a new name or title in the AI mainframe, Master I- >>

"Don't give me that attitude, alright? I'm suffering right now, and you are not helping. Just.. [takes a deep breath, voice regaining some control] ..No.  No, I do not. Just give me a sec, ok?"

<< Understood. Will now proceed to 'give a sec'. >>

[groaning, voice moves back to the mic] "...Alright. I, ah, love AIs. Ok, what- Where am I even supposed to start with this mess? You're all transmitting at once, I can't-" [dull, rapid clicking of dials, confirmatory beep] "Yes? No.." [repeated clicking, briefly quiet] "Better. Better... Ok, I've got some of you.." [pauses again, getting increasingly bitter] "...Can someone actually tell me what I'm trying to achieve here? I'm doing a shitty enough job of saving just myself. The hell am I supposed to.." [tails off, faint tapping heard on glass] "No location, no... How far have I been floating?... Anyway. [false perkiness] I can probably attempt a landing on this purple hell-rock down there, but man.. I don't know if I can even stand up right now? So you know, I think I'll.. Chill here for a bit. See if I don't, ah, bleed to death first or anything." [pause, muses to self] "When did I become an actual drama queen? Dear god." 

@rusticyawn

[ the low, quiet voice perks up somewhat. ] "Yeah! Wildly enough, I was raised in a family of engineers, so it comes pretty naturally to me now."

[ a jovial hum. ] "When - or, perhaps, if - I get out of this mess, maybe I can try triangulating your position, hop over on my definitely-working hyperdrive and see if I can't help you with that fucked up engine. But..."

[ a slight hesitation on his end. his tone comes out uncertain, but only for a second. ] "Uh... you see... I don't know much about this ship. I found it abandoned on a planet somewhere in a far off sector, quite a few Earthen years ago. I fixed it up, managed to get it back into working condition, but all I know about it is that it's an old-ass vessel. I've never been able to figure out it's origins, but if I can remember, the model is... Dominus-06. Try that out, and if it doesn't return anything, no big deal! I'll be able to get everything under control once the sun rises. If this cursed sun rises. [ tired, with a small sigh. Damn, what I wouldn't give to know where fuck I am."

@Archangel

[ curious. a beep, a click, and some minor static plagues the transmission as he opens a new line. ] "Hmm. Looks like I'm receiving a lot of... yelling? Hello? Vish'naak, that sounds like a fucking nightmare- makes me glad tenfold that I don't have an AI. More often than not, those things are detrimental."

[ he addresses the panicked voice directly, his own voice calm and level. ] "Hey, man, you getting this?" [ faux merriment. ] "Welcome to the pity party. As a twisted turn of fate would have it, we all appear to be facing mayday-worthy issues of our own. I'm stranded in a void, someone is in an airtight chamber full of hallucinogens, and a lot of engines have been smashed beyond repair. But, uh, I think I'm kind of desensitized to it all. It doesn't feel... real." [ deadpanning, leading into a grim chuckle. ] "See, my imminent death doesn't even bug me anymore!"

"... Anyway." [ he coughs nervously, calms down again. ] "I'm Joji. I can't remember my shitty code anymore, so fuck it. Uh... how badly are you hurt?" [ he takes on a more constructive tone, almost business-like. ] "If your ship is still functional, I advise you to stay in orbit as long as possible before you need to land. Scout the terrain and the wildlife. Otherwise, you might end up like me, freezing and alone in pitch-black darkness, surrounded by demons who want to eat you alive and consume your mortal soul."

[ a sudden pause. a slow exhale. ] "Ugh, great, I'm losing it. I'm so tired." [ clicks can be heard, along with the light sound of tapping on a metal dashboard, like a metronome.

@feywolf (and anyone)

[A tired Russian voice cut in between the chatter]
"Take the Zyno you coward. We will all be here for long time. If there is time to experiment... is now."

[Quiet, self satisfied filled the open channel, then lazy singing]

"Oy polnym polna moya korobushka
Yest' i sitets i parcha.
Pozhaley, dusha-zaznobushka,
Molodetskogo plecha..."

[silent for a moment... and then said to @Ironrot over the singing, incredulous & amused:] "Charming. Thank you for your sage remark." [in a lowered voice:] "Prick."

[some loud clanging and a groan in the background, then, slightly out of breath to @dim:] "Uh... Joji, right?" [sarcastic:] "I'm not sure a hallucinogen's gonna do much for your physical condition, but what happened to you? All I know to do is put pressure on wounds." [a pause; he thinks] "And that abdominal thrusting shit. Ha."

[another groan and then, mumbled more to himself than anyone else:] "I'm venting these pissing tanks. So heavy. But uh..." [to @BlightGiver:] "... whoever asked what happened to my ship; I have no idea. It was running completely smoothly... well -" [he clears his throat] "- as smoothly as you can expect from a model like this - and then it crashed. Everything went down. And now I have no clue where I am. It's black outside and the engine's dying."

[a final loud grunt, and the sound of metal hitting metal. out of breath and with a sigh and slight annoyance in his voice, to @rusticyawn:] "Yeah, well. It's fine. I'll be fine. You worry about your own arse and I'll worry about mine." 

[@dim - slightly miffed] "I'm not yelling. Jeez. Turn your volume down." [clears throat] "Yeah, yes, hi - I got you. I got you... Pity party?" [snickers] "Ok, that's good. Never heard that one before - I mean.. Nice." [pauses, gritting teeth] "..Accurate." [sighs, listening briefly] "Yeah. Hm. Mhm.." [sudden laughter] "Oh oh oh, yes, the Zyno?"

[@feywolf - evidently amused] "Hah, sounds like quite the party you've got going on in there." [a little aggrieved] "..Why did I never get an excuse like that when I had to ferry that stuff around?" [huffs] "...Whatever, though. I mean, I would probably give you a hand if you were anywhere nearby, Mr - what was it, ah.. - Shrew, yeah?" [laughs a little] "I don't really go in for that stuff, but I might as well shorten my already definitely ending life doing something stupid. Like.. Half a ship's worth of Zyno." [near inaudibly] "Sounds great." [pauses. hurriedly, to no-one in particular] "Ok - ok, no judging! No judging. I am definitely a responsible adult and bleeding out is dull, alright."

[@dim - slowly breathes out, sort-of-smiling] "Huh. Seems like I'm in that same jolly boat. I..-" [suddenly turns prickly, voice rising slightly] "Hey, hey- Ok so, ah, thanks, Jolie, for your advice, but I think I've flown a ship before and I've already looked at the damn planet... Dwarf planet... God. Don't tell me what to do as well, ok? This bloody AI is already-"

<<Ready for assistance, Master Ip->>

"Shut it!" [ensuing silence. he takes several breaths, continuing to the side] "...Hhn, I think I just saw stars.. God. I must have definitely hit my head back there."

[silent again. sounding slightly deflated] "Ok. I'm not in my best state of mind right now, so- [stops, listening to Joji's channel. continues quietly, hesitantly] "..Hey. Are you, uh...-" [@Ironrot, briefly picking up again] "Yeah your lovely singing isn't helping shit right now either!" [hesitates] "..Where was I going with this." [softly, a pained groan] "I'm going crazy here. I..- I need to land... I might lose transmission, but.." [sputtering hum of controls whirring to life, soft grimace evident in his low voice] "...Time to check the real damage, apparently."

[To @BlightGiver]

[Silence, then a click and background static]
[Voice is slightly more raspy than before] 
"I have no visuals mate, I have no power for anything. I have no scanning equipment, no cameras -- [Two small coughs] -- no working monitors, I don't even have any light. I'm stuck inside my vessel, I think the manual release for the bay doors has been crushed from the impact, and I have no idea if I'm dying from whatever environment is on the other side of the hull, because I know I have no life support right now."
[Pause, then a raspy sounding gulp of air]
"I think I'm a bit royally fucked, Over."

@dim

"ah, computer - load up that STAR manual... background task."

[faint AI] "request processed. it will be ready for you shortly."

"[idly, but intrigued] your whole family? can't imagine. for as long as i can remember, my parent's have made money off seasonal work. mom was excited just to hear i'd be holding down an 'actual job', never mind that it was this."

[faint AI] "the information you requested has been loaded. access it via remote viewing, available your helmet's built in access terminal."

[slightly hesitant] "...i asked the AI to try to triangulate you and the other call earlier, but it still hasn't gotten back to me about it. i think it's a little overloaded.  but yeah... don't worry about it. there's a guy on one of my lines who offered to help with the engine, so maybe it'll be me finding you. [her tone noticeably lightens] might even be able to salvage that junk pile you're sitting in."

"so... dominus-6, huh? [there are a couple of tapping sounds, and a definitive 'click'.] "there's... a few entries on the line, but not a lot of interest. except an emperor... xzdln? (xixarian, i guess...) used to travel around in this almost exclusively...? [snort] so, nothing. just some gems of 'history' like that one, and old-fashioned tethering port inputs. so it's old and obscure. from the looks of it, would've been more valuable as scrap."

[she takes a deep breath.]

[disappointed] "...sorry."

@Ironrot

[frustrated, but sort of bemused] "and who are you - russian nero? it's a little early to be losing your shit, don't you think?"

@feywolf

"[nonchalantly] don't have to tell me twice."

@feywolf

[ the sound of a light groan, accompanied with a rather dull tone of voice. ] “A hallucinogen might not be able to fix me, but it’ll sure as fuck take my mind off of it for a while. I’m dying over here-" [ he hurriedly blurts out, ] “-uh, wait, not literally dying, to anyone who overheard that, no cause for actual concern!” [ his voice lowers. ] "As long as these beasts stay at bay, De’u-shnak. God willing. Or whatever.” 

[ a sigh. ] "I bumped my head pretty badly, but I’m in surprisingly okay condition, compared to the guy on the other line who appears to be bleeding out. How are you doing? Are you seeing rainbows yet? Tell me while I check up on the bleeding out guy.”

@Archangel

"You still there, bleeding out guy? Man, you really gotta tell me your name, we can't keep going on like this.” [ sarcastic. ] “My volume’s perfectly fine. You’re hovering at a ten, and, uh, I need you to dial it down to like, a five or something? Like, a good ‘I’m about to die alone’ sort of scale, you understand?" [ more serious. ] "Just kidding, feel free to freak out, I’m here for you."

"And, hey,” [ jokingly, with a small snort. ] “I know you’re losing great amounts of blood right now, but your memory’s gotta be better than that of a Zordoof-fish. The name's Joji, not Jolie.” [ he sobers up. ] “Dude, I understand it’s easy for me to say, but you gotta try and keep a cool head. Keep updating me on your status, so I know you haven’t passed out, yeah?"

@rusticyawn

[ a hum of understanding, then intrigue. ] “‘Actual job'? What do you do? It’s hard to believe there are people with actual jobs who aren’t just aimless explorers like me, making money on the side in small communities with the skills I have. A vestige of a real job, you could say.”

[ gratitude is heavy in his voice. ] “Ah, cool. Thanks for that. Maybe it will be you finding me, after all-" [ an abrupt gasp. there's terror and anticipation in his voice. ] "Oh, no, fuck me-

[ his line is momentarily flooded with ear-piercing screeching. it lasts for a few seconds before dying down, with only the sounds of quiet, panicked breathing to be heard at the end of it. ]

[ struggling to stay calm. ] “Okay, okay, as long as it’s not on my ship, I’m okay.” [ deep breath. calmer now. ] "Sorry... what were you saying? Emperor… thing? Yeah, I’m not surprised it didn’t turn back anything useful.” [ dry chuckle. ] "You could say it’s ‘vintage’, but it’s all I could find at the time, and it’s served me well up until this point. Fixed it up quite nice. Ah, don’t worry about it- it would’ve been nice to have my injuries checked out, but I’m okay to wait out the night, for now."

[open channel, to @feywolf, @Archangel, @rusticyawn]

"Ahhh. You hear me now. Forgive my singing. I have been catching refracted signals for over an hour now but you were not receiving me. I don't know Nero but I don't sing because I'm mad..."

The voice was interrupted by a groan and the sound of movement before it came back louder and clearer.

"I sing to stay sane. I have been on the day-side of this rock for 83 hours."

(If @Detective Rascal's communications are open to everyone)

" 8543. I cannot help your predicament, but I may be able to shed some light. I have sensors out the wazoo." [Dispersed quite bumps of Zero G movement] "However, I have no primary computer. Bastard was causing errors in my warp field. Had to shut it down...

[Speaking slowly, as if concentrating] So! I will have to analyse... Any readings the slow way. But! If you can transmit a repeating signal in the higher... frequencies... I may be able to find you."

[radio cackles with static] "Oh, well...remain calm. Any wounds on your body? Do you have an extra light source?" @Detective Rascal

[Open channels] @feywolf  @rusticyawn  @Ironrot "This is 76G2-MJ09. Everyone try and get your ship's shields functioning as quick as you can." [pants heavily] "It'd be hard for anyone to get help if you're baked by radiation or blasted apart by impact with debris."

[quiets down to concentrate]"Ok, think, think." [sound of alarm beeping] "Strange, my sensors are detecting a weak, yet noticeable energy field around the area of space those of you experiencing problems are in. I don't know if I should risk this." 

[bangs fist on main panel, grunts a bit] "Anyone have coordinates for a safe passage through that area of space?" 

[crackle of sound]

[Anthony @BlightGiver]: This planet is old. It was once host to a great civilisation, but it was subsequently destroyed. There are still some planetary defences that are now active due to the storm. That field, in theory, should disable your shields and engines. Anything that enters it should crash into the planet. 

[Pause]

[Anthony]: Unfortunately my data entries do not go back that far anymore, I have no records of the path through. 'Beware of missile batteries though. I have already fallen victim to them.

[Ship AI]: Detecting unknown ship signatures incoming. Four contacts registered.

[Pause]

[Ship AI]: Contacts recognised as pirate vessels. Emergency evacuation suggested.

[longer pause]

[Ship AI]: Requesting orders, Captain.

[Anthony]: Activate shields and prime guns, then open a comlink to them. Send-

[loud static]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back