[From Heaven to Hell] From Heaven to Hell Discussion

Sketches

Concept:

Caste:
Slayer

Anima:

Motivation:
Be a hero

Intimacies: Malfeas (Pity), Heroics (Awesome), Dispossessed Rulers (Empathy), Understanding how and why, Ishkenos

Coadjutor: Neomah

Urge: Malfean, <thinking along the lines of destroying a house or ending a lineage or some such, flexible>

Lullaby for a Malfean Son

(History of the Chosen, vol 2)

There once was a boy in a well, who had told all he could tell.

The one up above said to him down below,

“I’ve no use for you boy. This here well is no toy.

Grave for the last of the Tokae; This well serves better than they.”

Turning he left the lad to his fate,

To die, pass forth, disintegrate.

From the water the boy cried out to his master,

“I’ll be good I swear, just bring me up there!”

But silence was his only answer.

Gritting his teeth the boy picked up a knife half rusted away

Long had it lay.

Since the night of his father’s last breath.

Knife in one hand the boy started to climb

Cursing the master and slime

High was the wall and slick the stones

The sun caught his eye!

Slipped the hand, broke the bones.

But to him a goddess came,

to mend the wound and take his pain.

Would he serve another master?

Would he rise to slay the last?

Strength to climb the walls.

Blades to take their heads.

The one they now call Oneos was born to a family in peril. His father was murdered and mother disappeared. The boy then 4 was raised by the new master of their land who cared only for the power gained as the boy's regent. Six years later the regent had finally secured his own position and tortured the boy for days to make sure there were no loose ends. Satisfied, he left the boy to die in the well. A few weeks later Oneos, with the body of a strapping young man and the guidance of Mistra (his coadjutor), climbed out of the well and slaughtered the pretender brutally cutting him to pieces with the very knife that had been used to kill his father.

The youth was raised in Malfeas for many years until he was finally considered ready for his first mission. He played in the streets of hell and wandered the deserts around it. He was like most any boy really. He just had a palace full of tutors, a stable of demon mounts, punching bags, and servants, and anything that his heart desired. To say that he was groomed for his future roll would be a vast understatement. He has trained at swordsmanship at the hand of Ligier, been carefully taught the history of his 'creators', and yet all of this in the confines of the Yozi prison.

Malfeas is still just that after all. Oneos is very thoughtful for a boy barely grown into his supercharged body. A trait that earned him the attention of SWLIHN. Yet that same trait and same curiosity compels him to do more than strike down foes in the name of Malfeas. To put it lightly, creation is a bit confusing.

Oneos has unnaturally smooth skin that never seems to weather. He is tall and extremely muscular with black hair, but his face retains a cast of youth that is slightly at odds with the rest of him. His eyes are patient and reveal little emotion.

5prl6u.jpg

Strength ●●●●● ●

Dexterity ●●●●●

Stamina ●●●

Charisma ●●●

Manipulation ●

Appearance ●●●●●

Perception ●●●

Intelligence ●●●

Wits ●●●●●

Archery

Martial Arts

Melee ●●●●● ●● (Swords ●●●)(Single Combat ●)

Thrown ●●●●● (Trick shots ●●)(Knives ●)

War ●●●●● (Solo Versus Mass Combat Unit ●)(Tactics ●●)(Strategy ●)

Integrity ●

Performance

Presence ●●

Resistance ●

Survival ●

Craft

Investigation ●●●●●

Lore ●●

Medicine

Occult ●●●●● (Demon Summoning ●)

Athletics ●●●●● (Climbing ●)

Awareness ●●●●● (Time ●)

Dodge ●●●●●

Larceny

Stealth ●

Bureaucracy

Linguistics ● (Native: Riverspeak, Learned: Old Realm)

Ride ●

Sail

Socialize ●●

Charms

Malfeas

-By Pain Reforged

-Pathetic Distraction Rebuke

+Invulnerable Wounding Futility

*Insignificant Embers Intuition

+Tarnish Flash Technique

SWLIHN

*Factual Determination Analysis

*Cosmic Transcendence of Temperance

*Essence-Dissecting Stare

-Counter-Conceptual Interposition

Adorjan

+Wind-Born Stride

+Joy in Violence Approach

+Self as Cyclone Stance

-Threat-Monitoring Excitement

The Ebon Dragon

*Loom-Snarling Deception

Backgrounds

Artifact ● Tainted Orichalcum Breastplate

Artifact ●● Order, Tainted Orichalcum Reaper Daiklave

Artifact ●● Chaos, Tainted Orichalcum Reaper Daiklave

Artifact ●● Tainted Jade Hearthstone Bracers

Artifact ●●● Demon Ink Tattoo: Tomescu

Backing ● (Malfeas)

Cult ●

Influence ● (Malfeas)

Unwoven Coadjutor ●

Virtues

Compassion ●●

Conviction ●●

Temperance ●●●●●

Valor ●●●●

Willpower ●●●●● ●●

Essence ●●

Concept: Consummate Calligrapher

Caste: Eclipse

Anima: Purple gilded sigils swirl around him.

Motivation: Sever the ties between creation and Malfeas

Intimacies: -Demons, Smoke (his horse), Wordplay

Aethan lived a comfortable life. Nothing is perfect, but he managed to hold a position at the side of a Princess. Cathak Thena was a fair employer in his estimation, but she was uncompromising in her operations. Aethan was from a well positioned family the the Satrap. A family with designs on becoming a real patrician family. Young Aethan was a bright star in their pocket. Thena discovered him seemingly by accident, a young boy with a talent for tongues.

Years in her service he appeared by her side taking notes, translating her writings and watching her work. She was tough and fair, but she was not, it turned out, above mistakes. Cathak Thena was not trained by the Heptagram, but never the less she was a passable sorcerer. Mostly she hid that fact from her peers to avoid all the annoying social stigmas. Mostly she used utilitarian bits of magic, but that night they were pursued by something. Something Thena feared. Locking herself and Aethan in an underground chamber she summoned a great beast from the pits of Malfeas. A blood ape, he would recognize momentarily. But her will faltered, distracted by her fears she lost control of the beast and it set upon her. Blade and claws the struggle began, but she was fighting a losing battle and Aethan could tell. Moving out of the shadowed corner where he watched he looked down at the symbols of her summoning circle. A flash went through his mind and he wrote the symbols in the air with a new purpose. Rearranged they dictated the beast return to where it came from. Golden light flooded the chamber and the demon burst in a flash of green. Rushing to Thena he helped her deeper into the series of passages where they hid from the pursuer.

Finally they could sleep, but Aethan knew what he was, and he knew the looks she had been giving him. Unwilling to kill her he ran through the passages and escaped into the night. But it was not over between them. Aethan sought refuge in a small town, but Thena tracked him. Furious they destroyed half the town with their fight. In the end, Thena was dead. Aethan stole her horse Smoke and rode into the wilderness.

Now he rides from town to village searching for demons to destroy, infernal cults to rip apart and using his powers to strengthen the protection of gods and spirits while using his graffiti and streetside sermons to harden the populace against the corruption of Malfeas.

2ekt6pu.jpg

Strength ●●

Dexterity ●●●●●

Stamina ●●

Charisma ●●●

Manipulation ●●●●●

Appearance ●●●

Perception ●●●●

Intelligence ●●●●

Wits ●●●●●

Archery

Martial Arts

Melee ●●●●●

Thrown

War

Integrity ●●

Performance ●●●●●

Presence ●●●●●

Resistance

Survival

Craft

Investigation ●●

Lore ●●

Medicine

Occult ●●●●●

Athletics ●●

Awareness ●●●

Dodge ●●●●●

Larceny

Stealth ●

Bureaucracy

Linguistics ●●●●● (Native: Low Realm, High Realm, Old Realm, Riverspeak, Flame-tongue, Sky-tongue)

Ride ●●●●●

Sail

Socialize ●●●●●

Backgrounds

Artifact ●● Flash of Judgement (Orichalcum Dire Lance)

Familiar ●●● Smoke (Firemane Horse)

Influence ●● Threshold regions on the inner sea

Charms

Melee

+1st Melee Excellency

-Dipping Swallow Defense

-Bulwark Stance

+One Weapon, Two Blows

Occult

+Spirit Detecting Glance

+Spirit Cutting Attack

+Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

Dodge

-Reflexive Sidestep Technique

Linguistics

*2nd Linguistics Excellency

*Discerning Savant’s Eye

Socialize

*Mastery of Small Manners

*Taboo Inflicting Diatribe

Spells

-Emerald Circle Banishment

*Written Upon the Water

Virtues

Compassion ●●●

Conviction ●●●

Temperance ●●

Valor ●●●●● (Foolhardy Contempt)

WP ●●●●● ●●

Essence ●●

notes: could certainly make him a bit less demon hunter in charm set to make more versatile

short version: harborhead girl makes with the social reforms

scrappy MA + res fighting style

your basic social fu

lore and flashbacks for some direction/mission objectives

may or may not be trying to pass as a DB sort of thing, still assessing

2921xt1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I just haven't settled on how to build her yet... And I don't know if it would be awkward to have a character tied to a place like that. As I see her she's basically leading a movement.

Feantari said:
Given that you want to aim for regional level goals or motivations to start with, what region are these things taking place in?
We haven't defined that detail yet as we haven't needed too. So far, all we know is that we're somewhere in the Threshold.

Feantari said:
Sketches
Concept:

Caste:
Slayer

Anima:

Motivation:
Be a hero

Intimacies: Malfeas (Pity), Heroics (Awesome), Dispossessed Rulers (Empathy), Understanding how and why, Ishkenos

Coadjutor: Neomah

Urge: Malfean, <thinking along the lines of destroying a house or ending a lineage or some such, flexible>

Lullaby for a Malfean Son

(History of the Chosen, vol 2)

There once was a boy in a well, who had told all he could tell.

The one up above said to him down below,

“I’ve no use for you boy. This here well is no toy.

Grave for the last of the Tokae; This well serves better than they.”

Turning he left the lad to his fate,

To die, pass forth, disintegrate.

From the water the boy cried out to his master,

“I’ll be good I swear, just bring me up there!”

But silence was his only answer.

Gritting his teeth the boy picked up a knife half rusted away

Long had it lay.

Since the night of his father’s last breath.

Knife in one hand the boy started to climb

Cursing the master and slime

High was the wall and slick the stones

The sun caught his eye!

Slipped the hand, broke the bones.

But to him a goddess came,

to mend the wound and take his pain.

Would he serve another master?

Would he rise to slay the last?

Strength to climb the walls.

Blades to take their heads.

The one they now call Oneos was born to a family in peril. His father was murdered and mother disappeared. The boy then 4 was raised by the new master of their land who cared only for the power gained as the boy's regent. Six years later the regent had finally secured his own position and tortured the boy for days to make sure there were no loose ends. Satisfied, he left the boy to die in the well. A few weeks later Oneos, with the body of a strapping young man and the guidance of Mistra (his coadjutor), climbed out of the well and slaughtered the pretender brutally cutting him to pieces with the very knife that had been used to kill his father.

The youth was raised in Malfeas for many years until he was finally considered ready for his first mission. He played in the streets of hell and wandered the deserts around it. He was like most any boy really. He just had a palace full of tutors, a stable of demon mounts, punching bags, and servants, and anything that his heart desired. To say that he was groomed for his future roll would be a vast understatement. He has trained at swordsmanship at the hand of Ligier, been carefully taught the history of his 'creators', and yet all of this in the confines of the Yozi prison.

Malfeas is still just that after all. Oneos is very thoughtful for a boy barely grown into his supercharged body. A trait that earned him the attention of SWLIHN. Yet that same trait and same curiosity compels him to do more than strike down foes in the name of Malfeas. To put it lightly, creation is a bit confusing.

Oneos has unnaturally smooth skin that never seems to weather. He is tall and extremely muscular with black hair, but his face retains a cast of youth that is slightly at odds with the rest of him. His eyes are patient and reveal little emotion.

5prl6u.jpg

Strength ●●●●● ●

Dexterity ●●●●●

Stamina ●●●

Charisma ●●●

Manipulation ●

Appearance ●●●●●

Perception ●●●

Intelligence ●●●

Wits ●●●●●

Archery

Martial Arts

Melee ●●●●● ●● (Swords ●●●)(Single Combat ●)

Thrown ●●●●● (Trick shots ●●)(Knives ●)

War ●●●●● (Solo Versus Mass Combat Unit ●)(Tactics ●●)(Strategy ●)

Integrity ●

Performance

Presence ●●

Resistance ●

Survival ●

Craft

Investigation ●●●●●

Lore ●●

Medicine

Occult ●●●●● (Demon Summoning ●)

Athletics ●●●●● (Climbing ●)

Awareness ●●●●● (Time ●)

Dodge ●●●●●

Larceny

Stealth ●

Bureaucracy

Linguistics ● (Native: Riverspeak, Learned: Old Realm)

Ride ●

Sail

Socialize ●●

Charms

Malfeas

-By Pain Reforged

-Pathetic Distraction Rebuke

+Invulnerable Wounding Futility

*Insignificant Embers Intuition

+Tarnish Flash Technique

SWLIHN

*Factual Determination Analysis

*Cosmic Transcendence of Temperance

*Essence-Dissecting Stare

-Counter-Conceptual Interposition

Adorjan

+Wind-Born Stride

+Joy in Violence Approach

+Self as Cyclone Stance

-Threat-Monitoring Excitement

The Ebon Dragon

*Loom-Snarling Deception

Backgrounds

Artifact ● Tainted Orichalcum Breastplate

Artifact ●● Order, Tainted Orichalcum Reaper Daiklave

Artifact ●● Chaos, Tainted Orichalcum Reaper Daiklave

Artifact ●● Tainted Jade Hearthstone Bracers

Artifact ●●● Demon Ink Tattoo: Tomescu

Backing ● (Malfeas)

Cult ●

Influence ● (Malfeas)

Unwoven Coadjutor ●

Virtues

Compassion ●●

Conviction ●●

Temperance ●●●●●

Valor ●●●●

Willpower ●●●●● ●●

Essence ●●

Concept: Consummate Calligrapher

Caste: Eclipse

Anima: Purple gilded sigils swirl around him.

Motivation: Sever the ties between creation and Malfeas

Intimacies: -Demons, Smoke (his horse), Wordplay

Aethan lived a comfortable life. Nothing is perfect, but he managed to hold a position at the side of a Princess. Cathak Thena was a fair employer in his estimation, but she was uncompromising in her operations. Aethan was from a well positioned family the the Satrap. A family with designs on becoming a real patrician family. Young Aethan was a bright star in their pocket. Thena discovered him seemingly by accident, a young boy with a talent for tongues.

Years in her service he appeared by her side taking notes, translating her writings and watching her work. She was tough and fair, but she was not, it turned out, above mistakes. Cathak Thena was not trained by the Heptagram, but never the less she was a passable sorcerer. Mostly she hid that fact from her peers to avoid all the annoying social stigmas. Mostly she used utilitarian bits of magic, but that night they were pursued by something. Something Thena feared. Locking herself and Aethan in an underground chamber she summoned a great beast from the pits of Malfeas. A blood ape, he would recognize momentarily. But her will faltered, distracted by her fears she lost control of the beast and it set upon her. Blade and claws the struggle began, but she was fighting a losing battle and Aethan could tell. Moving out of the shadowed corner where he watched he looked down at the symbols of her summoning circle. A flash went through his mind and he wrote the symbols in the air with a new purpose. Rearranged they dictated the beast return to where it came from. Golden light flooded the chamber and the demon burst in a flash of green. Rushing to Thena he helped her deeper into the series of passages where they hid from the pursuer.

Finally they could sleep, but Aethan knew what he was, and he knew the looks she had been giving him. Unwilling to kill her he ran through the passages and escaped into the night. But it was not over between them. Aethan sought refuge in a small town, but Thena tracked him. Furious they destroyed half the town with their fight. In the end, Thena was dead. Aethan stole her horse Smoke and rode into the wilderness.

Now he rides from town to village searching for demons to destroy, infernal cults to rip apart and using his powers to strengthen the protection of gods and spirits while using his graffiti and streetside sermons to harden the populace against the corruption of Malfeas.

2ekt6pu.jpg

Strength ●●

Dexterity ●●●●●

Stamina ●●

Charisma ●●●

Manipulation ●●●●●

Appearance ●●●

Perception ●●●●

Intelligence ●●●●

Wits ●●●●●

Archery

Martial Arts

Melee ●●●●●

Thrown

War

Integrity ●●

Performance ●●●●●

Presence ●●●●●

Resistance

Survival

Craft

Investigation ●●

Lore ●●

Medicine

Occult ●●●●●

Athletics ●●

Awareness ●●●

Dodge ●●●●●

Larceny

Stealth ●

Bureaucracy

Linguistics ●●●●● (Native: Low Realm, High Realm, Old Realm, Riverspeak, Flame-tongue, Sky-tongue)

Ride ●●●●●

Sail

Socialize ●●●●●

Backgrounds

Artifact ●● Flash of Judgement (Orichalcum Dire Lance)

Familiar ●●● Smoke (Firemane Horse)

Influence ●● Threshold regions on the inner sea

Charms

Melee

+1st Melee Excellency

-Dipping Swallow Defense

-Bulwark Stance

+One Weapon, Two Blows

Occult

+Spirit Detecting Glance

+Spirit Cutting Attack

+Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

Dodge

-Reflexive Sidestep Technique

Linguistics

*2nd Linguistics Excellency

*Discerning Savant’s Eye

Socialize

*Mastery of Small Manners

*Taboo Inflicting Diatribe

Spells

-Emerald Circle Banishment

*Written Upon the Water

Virtues

Compassion ●●●

Conviction ●●●

Temperance ●●

Valor ●●●●● (Foolhardy Contempt)

WP ●●●●● ●●

Essence ●●

notes: could certainly make him a bit less demon hunter in charm set to make more versatile

short version: harborhead girl makes with the social reforms

scrappy MA + res fighting style

your basic social fu

lore and flashbacks for some direction/mission objectives

may or may not be trying to pass as a DB sort of thing, still assessing

2921xt1.jpg

I like all three, but I think the Zenith would be the easiest to tie right into the story. Not that that matters a whole lot.

JayTee said:
Okay, so I lied and I wont have my sneaky stabby Night Caste up and running for you by tonight. Tomorrow evening should be the limit, though. Sorry about the delay.
No rush, my good friend. This game's pace has kept at a steady "molasses".

Dude, go with the Zenith. Assuming she's the classic righteous leader type, I can be the sneaky, staby Night caste who contrasts your character oh so perfectly~

Also, Wlf, what's your ruling on the common "free excellencies/Ox-bodies" houserule?

I don't think she's a righteous leader at all. I think that element is maybe there somewhere, but she's more the practical type. Moral, but practical. She would be pretty tied to her people, which I think could make things awkward, but I dunno up to you guys in that regard.

Hmm. Part of the plan was wandering around a decent bit and making good changes throughout creation. I dunno how well a land-linked character would work.

I guess my concerns in general would be more about character interplay and how they relate to each other. The original idea for the game was a lot about how the group would slowly change over time, including changes in Sakuya as well as the others, and that was a lot of what I was excited to play. The Malfean plot undertones, Maiden thing, and Heavenly politics were all backdrops to focus on the characters, and know Hoshi/Blacklion had similar stuff conceptually.

I don't really want to play generic Exalted shenanigans. If I may be about as blunt as possible, that's pretty much the feeling I've gotten from the concepts and questions so far.

Good. I think any of the concepts mentioned can do that. I mean, concept by nature defines it in the setting not how the character will be played ya. :-P I am likely to not play crazy zenith idea if wandering. Because it would be super awkward and contrived.

Aw, but I wanted to be the batman to your superman! D:

More seriously, I was down for general exalted shenanigans, as I usually am, but I can go for a more inter-personal thing as well. A game is a game is a game. =]

Alright uh I don't think this is gonna work and don't want to ruin what we already had, so I'm just gonna freeze this. Wlf, when Hoshi comes back maybe we can talk rezzing it, but for now let's just not worry about it.

Up to you of course, but I was actually posting interest because of the more free from character interaction stuff going on here. Sorry of the brainstorming put you off. It was interesting enough that despite being entirely too busy I wanted to work up a character for it. And still do. I'm not really getting much in the way of actionable feedback for what type of character you do think would fit. I was aiming for a very non-conviction oriented character to provide a different perspective. If the caste mark matters much then let me know. I don't really see that as a limitation. (Heck I built the Aethan character because people claimed eclipses were lame). But it's your thing so don't want to ruin anything either.

Feantari said:
Up to you of course, but I was actually posting interest because of the more free from character interaction stuff going on here. Sorry of the brainstorming put you off. It was interesting enough that despite being entirely too busy I wanted to work up a character for it. And still do. I'm not really getting much in the way of actionable feedback for what type of character you do think would fit. I was aiming for a very non-conviction oriented character to provide a different perspective. If the caste mark matters much then let me know. I don't really see that as a limitation. (Heck I built the Aethan character because people claimed eclipses were lame). But it's your thing so don't want to ruin anything either.
Your continuing to utterly miss the point simply convinces me I made the correct decision. This discussion is over.

I'm sorry I had a busy night/day and missed all this.

Whelp, consider this PAUSED.

Sorry everyone. Maybe we can work it all out in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back