• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Friends in the Void v2.0

Characters
Here

Ramjammer

Confirmed Memelord
This was not good.

This was in fact, probably the farthest one could get from good.

The cool fall evening meant that many people would not be out at a time like this which was just as well, Rasteva would hate to be seen like this. Leaves rustled wildly as something small and dark zipped over them. A cloud of smoke so black that it absorbed all light coiled and darted across the ground. This in and of itself was already odd. Even odder that the cloud of smoke as talking.

"Absolutely unacceptable! To think that I would be degraded in such a manner!" The Cloud darted across the ground erratically, all the while a deep voice bellowed from within. "Such an embarrassment, that is all this is. To be laid to ruin by WEAKLINGS, my power stolen by the unworthy. How could I allow such a thing to happen?" Only the wind answered the cloud of smoke, and it was an unwelcome answer at that. The cloud began to thin, almost in danger of dissipating completely.

Needless to say, the voice was not amused.

"Unbelievable! To think that I would be stricken down by a mere breeze! I must hurry if I cannot find a form I-"

The voice stopped short, taking sudden notice in the sound of footsteps approaching them. Someone was coming.

This was good, better than their current predicament. Whoever it was that approached was sure to have something on them that Rasteva could use as a temporary form. Once there they could make plans to regain their former strength.

But they had to act quickly.

The wind was beginning to pick up tremendously and Rasteva cursed themselves internally. Each gust of air only dissipated their smoke form further and they were getting dangerously close to falling apart altogether. The Daemon tried to collect their form as much as they could only to have someone walk straight through their body, causing them to unwind once more. The Daemon let out a sound of irritation as the Human rushed past "How rude! If I had a good and proper body, you'd be regretting that!" Rasteva silenced themselves, realizing that the human had long since left and wouldn't have heard the Daemon anyway. And what could have Rasteva done if they had? Given them a severe coughing fit? The Daemon's ego shrunk a few sizes, the realization of how powerless they were fully hitting them. When they had a body they were strong, but now they were nothing.

Less than nothing.

But that could all change.

Shaking off the intrusive thoughts Rasteva resumed their previous course of action. "A body. I need a body. Any body will do. And once I am strong enough I can begin regaining my former glory. But until I have a physical form-" The Daemon cut themselves short, taking notice of a human idling nearby.

Perfect.

Or at the very least, better than nothing. The wisp of smoke darted towards the unwary Human, quick as a Viper hunting their prey. All the while the Daemon was hoping, praying, that the Human held the one thing they needed.

Only then could their real work begin.

Richard watched the digital display over the Elevator's doors in silence, the numbers on it changing at what felt like a Snail's pace. He wasn't late for his meeting with the CEO. He was never late. But that didn't make the wait any more bearable. The Chief of Security grumbled softly, a gloved hand coming up to fiddle with his tie. These meetings were not uncommon as Lorette took the safety of the building and all inside of it as seriously as she did the rest of her duties. However, she rarely called Richard to her Office so late in the evening, especially without making sure to schedule an appointment with him beforehand. He knew that the matter had to be serious if Lorette was willing to go off schedule and mentally prepared himself for the worst.

The Elevator dinged softly as it finally reached the top floor, and the doors had barely opened before Richard stepped through them. The floor was eerily silent, the Receptionist's desk empty in the dimly lit area. The Chief of Security set off at a brisk pace towards the imposing double doors situated just beyond the large desk, his footfalls muffled by the plush carpet on the floor. He didn't even make ready to knock as the CEO's voice rang loudly from within her office. She had expected him to arrive on time as he always did and wasted no time in bidding him enter. Years ago, Richard had found her perception and timing unsettling, but now he could only appreciate the efficiency it afforded him. The massive office was as dimly lit as the rest of the floor and Richard could make out Lorette's form as she stood facing the floor to ceiling windows at the opposite end of the room. The many lights illuminating Arnvista cast a soft glow around the room, and for a moment the CEO was silent as she stared out at the busy streets.

"Lorette, do you think you could stop bein' dramatic tonight and just tell me why I'm here?" Richard closed the heavy wooden door with a small grunt before turning to face the woman once more. Lorette pivoted sharply on a heel to face Richard, a stern glare leveled on him. A lesser man might have shrunk back from her gaze, but Richard had found himself under it for many years now and it had long since become exhausting to constantly cower before her. Instead, the man grunted softly at her before trudging towards the plush chair situated behind her desk and seating himself into it heavily. The woman wasted no time, moving forward unflinchingly as was her custom.

"There's been another murder. In the Slums, naturally. The Police will undoubtedly chalk it up to another mugging, but the Jackals have already been out there and confirmed it."

Richard sighed and sank further into the plush black chair and eyed Lorette carefully for a moment before speaking. "Same guy, or guys I should say?"Lorette only nodded in response and Richard allowed another sigh to slip from his mouth. "This is gettin' to be a real mess yanno."

"There's no need to state the obvious to me." Came the curt reply. Richard could not help a rueful chuckle despite the atmosphere. "Fucker's been poppin' up all over the damn city. And 'm not gonna try to beat around the bush then. I can tell yer chompin' at the bit to get ahold of him." He leaned back in the plush chair, spinning it side to side as he eyed the CEO carefully. As was usual, her face betrayed none of her inner thoughts, but the man was not stupid enough to believe that she had nothing planned for him. She resumed staring out the window, eyes affixed on the cars passing on the dark streets far below them.

"I want you to find them." The quiet statement did not surprise Richard in the slightest and he was less surprised by what came next. "I don't care what you do with what's left behind. They're probably more trouble than they're worth. What concerns Apex is the Daemon, or Daemons that they're putting to work."

Richard mumbled something incomprehensible to himself and lifted a hand to rub thoughtfully at his chin. He needed to shave soon. His beard was starting to become unmanageable, but he knew he wouldn't be doing anything about it in the near future. He foresaw more than a few nights spent sleeping in his office in the near future. "So we're still finding multiple signatures...That ain't good."

"Again, you don't need to state the obvious, Richard."

The man chuckled gruffly at his Superior's dour mood. "Well, you don't pay me to consider shit neither of us know. That's Nikhil's job." Lorette rolled her eyes before steepling her fingers together and Richard found himself sitting up straighter. The woman did not have many obvious tells, but the hand gesture, in particular, meant that she was speaking plainly and that it was in his best interests to listen. "Cerberus is to be prepped for transport and eventual release into the area. But I want you and Afnet to head down there and take a look at the scene before then."

The man's eyebrows shot up in sudden surprise and his voice did nothing to hide it either. "Cerberus? Are you sure he's ready for an Urban environment? He's only done woodlands tracking." Lorette only nodded at the man's query before pressing on. "If he's not, he will be when this is over. He's not going out alone, though. Send a few Harriers out with him." The man hummed in thought and resumed scratching at his still growing beard. "Well, it'll be good practice for him then. We can get eyes on their base, or nest or whatever the fuck they got goin' on out there before moving in."

The woman nodded tersely, and though her face didn't reveal it quite as much, the line of her body relayed visible tension. "I don't have to remind you to not draw attention to yourselves while you're out there. We need a better understanding of exactly who and what we're dealing with before we go about deciding how to contain it. As always, I leave that to you, Richard."

Richard slumped further into the chair upon the realization that he'd be camping alongside mountains of paperwork in his office for at least the next few weeks. "Lorette, did you know that I have a house? I wanna see it sometime this year and you are doin' your damndest to not make that possible."

Lorette moved away from the windows, her footsteps ringing loudly on the polished stone floor as she approached the sulking Chief of Security. A gloved hand settled gently on his shoulder and gave it a small reassuring squeeze. "I know I'm asking a lot of you right now, but it's because you're best suited to the job. You've always been" Richard glanced up at the woman, the small smile gracing the edge of her mouth not escaping his notice. "And besides, it's not as if I sleep in my own house any more than you do in yours. Sometimes I wonder if I'll forget where it is one day." The hand moved away along with Lorette as she walked away before coming to pause before the double doors of her office."I'll get in touch tomorrow. Be ready to head out first thing in the morning. And please turn the lights off when you leave." Richard didn't bother watching her as she left, and once the doors had slammed shut the office descended back into silence.

Richard rubbed tiredly at his face and resigned himself to his fate, knowing there was no point in crying over things as they were. He knew that there was no stopping Lorette and he knew that no matter the decision she made, he would have to deal with it one way or another.

"Afnet."

The man spoke, but there was no one in the room to hear him. That did not stop the voices from answering. "Yessssssss?" Came the hissing reply. "I don't need to tell you what needs to be done tomorrow. Find the scent and then relay what you know to Cerberus. And keep all seven of those heads down while you're at it. We'll find this asshole, one way or another."

A shadow rippled along one of the far walls and for a split second the man caught the pattern of reptilian spines displayed against it. "Very well. We watch, and we listen."

"Good." Was the man's only reply.

"And Richard?"

The man sighed, seeming to already know what was coming. "Yes?"

"May we eat them?" The voices queried.

"We'll see."

With crinkling leaves skittering across the asphalt jungle like mice, the wind would continue to push along the debris that litter the streets. Along with cleaning the walkways, the seasons breeze also caught at the cloth of a long jacket. One that fluttered in the wind as the wearer walked calmly along. Without a care in the world, and a cigarette lazily hanging between his lips, a few puffs of smoke would escape the other corner of his mouth time to time as his eyes stayed fixed on what was before him. While lazily walking along, Tobias Wolfe kept his gaze down to his phone; One of his worst habits was reading while walking. Currently in the middle of an interesting tale of fiction, his thumb swiped time to time while he strolled along only to move page to page. Of course it's because of his lack in awareness that he wouldn't notice his surroundings, a part of which being a noxious cloud moving his way.

Daemons of course were an afterthought, his knowledge on them being from literature and nothing more. At this point in his life he hardly even believed in them, after all it wasn't like those who had them as companions really talked about it. So as one made an approach towards him, he would remain unaware, too lost in what was before him after yet another day of work at Apex. Right now the only things he had in mind was getting home, showered, and back out again. He knew there was a bar close to his flat that had all you can eat tacos and would be doing a trivia night. Sure, he hadn't done trivia before but he figured since he was a learned individual he may have a chance to get a point or two. If not, at least it was something to do and something to keep him out of the house. All he had there was his novels, and a fern that he likely over waters after making a ritual out of tending to it.

With a slight cough, he'd pause. The screen of his phone would go dark, and he'd reach up to pluck the scorched stump from his lips. Looking to it, he'd notice the ember burned all the way down to the filter, which explained the sting that lingered in his lungs now.
"Tsk." A sound of dissatisfaction, followed by dropping the finished butt to the ground; embers bursting on impact with the sidewalks surface, and the breeze catching them only to send a small burst of orange off into the wind. Stepping upon it shortly after, a habit he'd gotten after hearing all the horror stories of lit cigarette ends causing fires, he'd soon after reach into his coat and pull out a little metal tin. Unfolding it like a wallet, inside would display only two remaining cigarettes remaining. A sound of displeasure soon followed, the containing clasping shut with a click right after he'd pulled one of the bleached sticks out and put it between his lips at the left most corner of his mouth - Same spot as the last.

It's here that he'd remain still the longest, lingering unknowingly while being approached, all the while muttering quiet cuss's as the wind caught the flame each time he tried to spark his lighter nearest the end of the cigarette.
"C'mon, damn it." His left hand was raised in an attempt to block the wind, and his brows were furrowed to show his aggravation in the current moment. Eyes focused towards the end of the cigarette, their brown coloring catching the shine of the sparks dancing from the end of his lighter with each failed attempt to ignite the cigarette itself. Unfortunately for him, his compulsive behavior likely wouldn't let him go anywhere until the thing was lit, which was most fortunate for a desperate little daemon.

Rasteva was rapidly fading and knew that they could wait no longer. They had to act, and soon if they wanted to survive. Rasteva's gaze darted around the nearly empty street feverishly, hoping, praying for some miracle no matter how small.

"Where...Where....anyone...WAIT."

Rasteva set their gaze on a Human idling nearby and studied the man closely. His head was bent low, eyes trained on something in his hand. It was a wonder that he avoided running into anything as he walked, so intent was his focus on the small device. The Daemon kept their wavering form low to the ground and took care not to unfurl too much lest they be spotted.

The wind chose that moment to pick up, something that irritated Rasteva more than words could ever hope to express. For a split second, the Daemon reconsidered approaching the Human at all, positive that the chilly air would send him scurrying inside to safety and leaving Rasteva behind. He did no such thing, however, seeming to be lost deep in his own thoughts, and less concerned with his surroundings. Had Rasteva been at all capable, they'd have breathed a sigh of relief but instead focused on the task at hand.

He'd pocketed the strange device, exchanging it for another to begin fumbling with it. It didn't matter in the end. It was all the distraction that Rasteva needed to spring their plan into motion.

The cloud zipped forward, surging up and around the unwary woman and dissipating wholly into the rectangular device the man had tucked away.

Their new form was small. It was weak. But it was the best that Rasteva could do on such short notice. They simply lacked the power to channel and project a form of their own, though they hoped that they would be able to discard their current body for a more dignified one later one. Rasteva allowed their power and consciousness to course through the device, taking note of every wire and piece of metal held within. As Rasteva tried to settle into their new (and hopefully temporary) home, their explorations took a rather fearful turn.

Somehow, the Daemon really had no idea, they'd managed to activate the device. It vibrated intensely, something that was sure to alert the Human and Rasteva was stricken by panic.

'Blast it all!' They seethed mentally. 'I've only just gotten here and already I've revealed myself?'

It was an unforgivable folly in the Daemon's mind, and the fear of revealing themselves openly was the only thing keeping them pinned in place. 'Perhaps he will not notice?' The Daemon mused to themselves. The man HAD been rather preoccupied with the device, surely their actions were an unknown facet of its functions. At least that's what Rasteva hoped intensely. It wouldn't do for the man to throw the thing away because it'd been possessed by a strange entity. Rasteva's plan would be set back to square one as a result.

It would also be immensely embarrassing to fail so spectacularly before they'd begun in earnest.

Rasteva attempted to get ahold of their runaway emotions as best they could. They'd hidden well, the man hadn't even noticed their approach at all. All the Daemon needed to do was stay quiet and stay calm. Hopefully, the Human would be completely unaware of what was going on.

But Rasteva felt a small nagging sensation at the back of their mind. The unpredictable nature of Humans, and how that nature affected things around them was the reason that they were here at all. It was a rather sobering thought, and one Rasteva didn't want to dwell on too much.

'Maybe this Human will prove to be different.' They mused.

As if mother nature was trying to protect Tobias, the wind would lick at the Daemon that approached the unknowing traveler. Yet to no avail, and the moment it reached him and his cellular device, the howling breeze would settle. A calm finally established, meaning now he'd get the chance to finally‐

The sudden signal from his phone was unexpected. Unless work was trying to reach him, there really was no one who'd call. Toby wasn't exactly social, sure he went out and did things but he never really left with a new friend. In fact, his social ineptitude has even lead to totally dismissing potential romantic interests, seeming to be more willing to do what he'd come to do than make any sort of acquaintance. As for family, he'd none to speak of. Or at least, none that would be reaching out to him, and vice versa.

It's as he paused momentarily, it would seem as if he was about to ignore the call. Though with the next flick if his thumb a flame would spark to life, and from that the crackling of tobacco; a faint menthol aroma cooking into the now still air. "Yeah, yeah. Give me a minute." Toby muttered to himself as he pocketed the lighter, in the same motion he'd trade places with his phone only to pull it out.

Raising the screen up to look upon it, his eyes would narrow and a plume of smoke would waft before himself. Little did he know the once fiction novel he had upon its screen was now a literal call to adventure, one he certainly could do for. "The hell...?"

The man had undoubtedly noticed. In no time at all, he'd withdrawn the device from his pocket and Rasteva tensed for an altercation. He seemed puzzled. Not surprising at all if the Daemon were to be honest. They wanted to shrink back under the man's gaze, but there was nowhere to go. The man's confusion wasn't abating, and Rasteva began to wonder if he even knew what he was supposed to be looking at. Or, mercifully, if he could see anything out of the ordinary at all.

The device emitted a great deal of light, almost painful to Rasteva's gaze but they were still able to see the man quite clearly. Rasteva was not sure what to make of the Human, never having observed one up close before. He was odd looking, but the Daemon was of the opinion that ALL Humans looked strange. They could also sense no power coming from her either, so Rasteva was safe under the assumption that he'd not come across any other Daemons. This was good, thus far. In their present state, Rasteva could not afford to clash with another of their kind. Especially after what had happened.

And so instead they were resigned to sit under the curious gaze of the Human man, though Rasteva stared right back. It was beginning to grow puzzling, to say the least. Save for his initial statement proving his confusion, the man hadn't seen anything at all. Rasteva stared him dead in the eyes, trying to make out what it is the man could be thinking. 'Perhaps he really is a fool.' The Daemon thought. 'I am not sure why I bothered to worry at all.' The Daemon's thoughts trailed off, however, as something caught their notice.

There, in the reflection of the man's eyes, Rasteva could see something just barely. Faint as it was, Rasteva recognized their own reflection right away. To call the sight jarring would be an understatement. Their body was gone now, torn apart and scattered to the cosmic winds. All that remained to mark Rasteva's passing was a barely functioning shard of his own soul. But there was no mistaking it. Rasteva's own form was reflected in the man's eyes, as shining and proud as ever. A clawed metal hand reached out tentatively to press against the phone's screen, and a pair of searing red eyes shone briefly with deep and unspeakable emotion. The Human's device showed him much apparently, and there Rasteva was displayed as keenly as anything else.

The Daemon was too caught up in their own emotion to care, at least for the moment. The form they'd thought lost was whole once more, even if artificially. And for the briefest of moments, the old Daemon felt whole.

"I-" They began. "This is...." The reality of their situation suddenly hit the Daemon like a freight train. If they could indeed see themselves on the device's screen, even if reflected, then so could the Human. Rasteva's hand drew back and away from the screen suddenly as if they'd been burned. A choked gasp escaped them and they drew their own energies back, back into the device. As far from the screen as it could get. The light illuminating it flickered, and what the Human could see, the Daemon could not even say. But it didn't matter. He'd seen Rasteva, and that was enough. Enough, and far more than the Daemon had wanted to begin with. They felt foolish, but that was overridden by a deep sense of sorrow. Was this truly the depth of their weakness? That a mere glimpse of their former glory was enough to reduce them to a blubbering lout? Apparently, it was. And worse still, a Human had been privy to it all. Watching, judging. No doubt the man was laughing at them now, even if it was internally.

'What kind of Daemon am I?' They wondered. And what kind of Daemon would they become, if any at all?

'Better to be dead, then an emotion-laden fool. At this rate, death would at least spare my dignity.'

"Hey, Shit Head. Get drinks with me."

Allister paused just outside the elevator at the sound of the voice, a brow cocked in interest as a familiar redhead strode towards him. "Earlier it was Jackass. Now it's Shit Head. Pick and insult and stick with it, please. I'm getting sick of trying to figure out which one I am." Audrey's ever-present grin only widened at the man and she came to a halt in front of him, rocking back and forth on her heels. "I mean, Jackass and Shit Head are the same thing anyway. You comin' for drinks or not? Matsuko said no, she's got something to do for the Chief while he's out. I don't want to go alone."

Allister huffed indignantly and brushed past Audrey. "If you want company that badly, you should work on asking for it in a nicer manner." He paid little mind to the sound of footsteps following him towards the parking garage. Audrey wasn't easily deterred and the blonde haired man already knew what she'd say next.

"That's not a no."

"You're right. It's not a no." He relented. Pausing mid-stride, Allister turned on a heel to regard the woman evenly. "I'll go. But only if you promise not to do anything stupid. The Madame is already on edge, and we don't need to embarrass ourselves and her tonight." Audrey rolled her eyes and shrugged at the man.

"I'm not hearing a yes." Allister prodded.

"God, fine dude. I'm an adult, I know how to act in public."

Allister could recall more than one instance in which Audrey failed to behave in public, but he decided not to press the matter. Making a scene had an entirely different meaning in Audrey's book, one that he'd never read nor had any intention of reading. That aside, his words to the Junior Officer rang true. Lorette had been pretty irritable recently. Or at least more irritable than she normally was. Combined with the amount of work bearing down on them recently, Allister wasn't looking to reach an unmanageable amount of intoxication. Audrey was another matter entirely, however, and the man knew that a different method would be required to reign her in.

"We've reached the monthly quota for bailouts. If you get arrested, you're staying in jail."

"Jesus Christ, ALREADY? It's like the second week of the month." Allister merely shrugged in the face of her incredulous expression. "I don't know what happened. But that's what I've been told. Behave. We both need to be a socially acceptable amount of hungover tomorrow, understand?"

Audrey's cheeks puffed out as she considered the man's words momentarily before nodding.

"Good. Cold coffee in one hand, and sunglasses indoors to hide the bags under our eyes. I'm heading home to shower and change, you'll text me?" He queried.

"Yeah sure, I need to change too. Please, I am begging you, do not show up looking like a Ken Doll. No khakis, no cardigans thrown over your shoulders dude. It's getting embarrassing to be seen with you." Audrey's face was screwed up in mild irritation as if the thought alone was enough to displease her. Allister chuckled quietly, shaking his head and walking away towards his car. "Fine. I'll do my best not to make you look foolish, Miss Kinnaird. Call me when you're ready." Audrey waved slightly at the man as he left before turning and heading towards her own vehicle.

What Allister said had been right, even if she had no desire to admit it aloud. Now was not the time to be calling attention to themselves. Apex was already walking a tight rope around APD, and she really didn't want any unpleasant run-ins with them. And she really needed to keep her partying to a minimum anyway. But a few drinks with a work buddy wouldn't hurt. Nothing weird would happen, nobody would get shot and nobody would have to spend the night chasing ghosts through the streets.

It was easy. No need to worry at all.

His initial thought on seeing the very screen he was looking at moments prior twist and turn was that it'd somehow began malfunctioning. An odd occurrence, since it was one of the newer models among one of the biggest brands. A wispy black shapeless cloud was first the figure Tobias saw initially, though as the screen began to settle a shape would emerge. A suited being in armor with eyes emanating a glow brighter than he thought possible for his mobile device. It's at this moment he figured he must have gotten a virus somehow, maybe from a site he'd visited or an advertisement he'd accidentally clicked?

But then it talked.

A faint voice, stuttering and seemingly lost came through the speaker of the phone. Crystal clear, the words were heard but not understood. The concept that his phone was broken had passed, and the idea that maybe it was a virus now dwindled. No, it wasn't likely a virus would seem so cognitive to its own position, nor react as if it had seen Tobias the same way he'd seen it. It's at this moment he'd hold the side button, all the while glaring down as if angry all of a sudden. "Bastards." He'd growl, seeming to make some sort of connection. Unfortunately for himself it wasn't the correct one.

From Rasteva's perspective looking out he'd see a large red button appear nearest the surface of the screen he'd retreated, upon it a little white symbol that he was most certainly unfamiliar with. It was the power down button, and Tobias was readying himself to turn his phone off by sliding that very button to the side. It's once his finger touched the button the phone would vibrate as if to ask if he was sure about what he was about to do, and in this moment Rasteva may well feel within the device they haunted that things were about to go dark for them.

"To hack my phone? Unbelievable. You hear me in there? I've half a mind to find who this is myself, and don't think I can't." He'd threaten, his finger lingering on the switch to kill the device. Not that he himself had the skills or know how to investigate a hacking incident, but he knew some of the people in IT at work; considering the scope of their job and expectations for company security it was likely they'd know a thing or two about this. Especially since he so frequently used this very phone for checking work emails and things of that sort.

Surely Rasteva wouldn't have a clue what Tobias was referring to, but it was pretty clear he was being threatened by the owner of the device he resided now. All because it was unclear what exactly was happening, not that the truth would be any less alarming. "What do you want, anyway?" He asked, keeping his voice down as to not draw attention to himself.

After all, from outside perspective Tobias was simply exclaiming at his own phone at the edge of an alleyway and corner of a main street. Fortunately for him, the path he walked to get home was one most didn't travel, a majority of the area residential.

Last edited:
Phone? Hack? The Human's words made no sense to Rastva at all. The Daemon had no real concept of what the man was saying, but they weren't completely ignorant. "Bastard? Mind your wretched tongue, Human! You know not who you address."

The man's confusion had clearly given way to palpable anger. An emotion that Rasteva was intimately familiar with. What he had to be angry at exactly, Rasteva certainly couldn't say. They surmised that it stemmed from the fact that they'd taken possession of the object in his hands without his knowledge. Perhaps it was exceptionally valuable? Rasteva's brief flare of anger cooled in the wake of his puzzlement. It made some level of sense. From what little they knew of Humans, Rasteva understood how possessive they could get of their things. But the man's tone and expression went beyond what Rasteva would consider an appropriate response to having something taken. He seemed personally offended, and perhaps a bit worried?

The man continued to speak, and on the device's screen, a strange symbol began to flash ominously. Was he preparing to destroy the device? That certainly wasn't good at all, and Rasteva lacked the strength to subject themselves to the elements again. If the were going to survive, they'd have to try and appease the Human. A rather bitter thought, that would have had the Daemon retching had they possessed the capacity to.

"Listen to me now." Rasteva spoke slowly and evenly as if addressing a child. Not they knew the difference. As far as they were aware, children were just smaller and weaker Humans, which seemed awfully inconvenient. They also still weren't sure as to how smart Humans were, but this one seemed at least coherent.

"For what it's worth I can hear you. But there's no need to go looking for me, I'm right here." Rasteva hummed softly, a low metallic sound. The man still seemed unsure of what he was seeing and hearing, and Rasteva wondered if he thought he was being tricked in some manner. Daemons did like watching Humans, but usually from a distance. It stood to reason that the irritable man simply hadn't met one before. In which case, Rasteva would have to tread even more carefully. The Human hadn't run away screaming the moment that Rasteva had addressed him, which was a plus. But good manners were a difficult concept for the Daemon to approach. Historically, Rasteva had possessed politeness and patience of a Freight Train. Trying to be anything other than demanding and rude was not within their skill set.

In the end, the best Rasteva could do was not threaten to kill the man.

"I want...Hrm. I want your help? Perhaps? You're a Human, with hands. Which means you can do things with them." As if to demonstrate, Rasteva held their own metal hands up on the screen. "Like these! Except yours are fleshy and weak. But they still work, I was watching you earlier." Telling the man, that they'd been stalking them probably wasn't a good idea, but Rasteva doubted he'd get any angrier at the thought.

"You don't seem utterly stupid either. As far as I can tell, anyhow. I am not completely sure, I've never spoken to a Human before. You are of average intelligence, yes? If so, then you may prove acceptable." The Daemon tapped at their chin with a metal claw, letting out a thoughtful rumble. "If that should not be the case, perhaps you might point me in the direction of a Human that knows something. I have business that needs attending to." Rasteva gesticulated in a pointed manner at the man for a moment before their gaze found the flashing symbol on the screen once more.

"Whatever the case may be. If you're planning on destroying this device, I'd suggest you not. It will not kill me, but I'll be forced to take possession of something else on your person. I've expended more than my share of effort today."

Needless to say, Tobas did not swipe his finger across the screen. Instead the faint illumination and that which shown upon its screen continued to show before the increasingly worried and equally confused man. It was as if some sort of show was occurring, and in said spectacle was a scene most horrifying. A look Rasteva was likely thinking a human would give when seeing him now stared down while he began to speak, and that was the look of fear. Startled by it all, he hadn't expected such an image as Rasteva to begin talking as if actually being present. Not only that, but he'd just mentioned he'd been stalking Toby for a little while now.

Along with the mannerisms used when talking, that which gave Tobias the momentary realization that the tiny creature in his phone was not socially experienced, he began to make a few other connections. Such as mentioning how if the phone was destroyed, this thing would have to move and possess a different thing which was on his person. Possess. This was not a term that could be used for simple hacking, could it? Not in the context of shifting to a different vessel, that is, after all this was the only piece of technology he was even carrying that could be hacked. Not like his concealed firearm had any electronic mechanisms.

As for the rest of the rambling from this ancient Daemon, one final connection could be concluded by the ever thoughtful Tobias Wolfe. Rasteva seemed to be burdened by something, enough so that they just asked for the help of the person who's cell phone they'd just possessed. Along with that, the reason seemed to be due to Tobias having hands? Also, what was with the constant mentioning of...
"Wait, wait, wait." His hand moved from the power button which promptly disappeared, now leaving only a display of Rasteva upon the screen. Seemingly exasperated, and less irritated and more so genuinely confused, Tobias took a moment to reach up and run his hands up through his hair only for it to stop when on the top of his head.

"Are you serious? I feel like I'm being pranked right now, are you someone from the office?" He asked, though not giving Rasteva a moment to speak before continuing on himself. "You gotta be, right? You keep saying human, as if you aren't one, and that's crazy. This is crazy, how is this even working? Did someone download an app on my phone?" He asked, reaching down again from his now unkempt and messy hair only to tap at the screen; An attempt to maybe change the display from Rasteva them self that would only end with them more or less poking their image. Whatever that would do.

Either way, it seemed without proper explanation as to what Rasteva was Tobias was lost within trying to find logic and reasoning in a situation that clearly lacked any. Daemons, spirits, ghosts, fae, they were all simply characters in good fiction that had no place in the world in which Toby actually lived. For now he was stuck with some sort of cognitive and self aware virus that was responding not only to what he was saying, but it was also seemingly aware that the phone was about to be turned off.
"What in the world are you?" He finally mused aloud, poking again at the screen as his shock and fear was twisting into fascination.

Confusion, anger, and now a sense of rapidly growing fear.

The man's face did little to hide his emotions if he was bothering to try and hide them at all. His concern especially seemed to be mounting and it was a wonder that the man hadn't simply hurled the device away the moment that Rasteva began to speak. In another time, the Daemon might have derived some measure of enjoyment from the man's fear. Oddly, it was almost palpable to the Daemon. Curiosity laced with a growing sense of dread. There was little time to puzzle over the phenomenon, however. The man was growing increasingly nervous and Rsateva didn't want to do anything that they'd both regret.

"Do I look like someone who isn't serious?" Rasteva asked.

It was perhaps the most rhetorical question ever put forth. The Daemon had no readable expression at all but had the physical appearance of something wholly incapable of telling a joke. Surly, unpleasant and utterly humorless. Rasteva took some measure of offense from the man's question as well. The Daemon hadn't exactly debased themselves by asking for his help as a joke. The thought was utterly preposterous. But it seemed that the Human thought so as well. Something about his language, even if confusing, told Rasteva that he still didn't believe what he was seeing.

"I don't know who or what an Office is. I am myself, and I am certainly not lying to you-Hey! Stop that!"

The man had begun to tap feverishly at the screen, undoubtedly trying to test the sincerity of Rasteva's words, or perhaps attempting to expel the Daemon from his device altogether. Rasteva could not tell either way. But what they did know was that the man's behavior was irritating and not at all conducive to a conversation.

They couldn't quite feel the sensation of being prodded from within the device. But every touch of the man's fingers caused the Device the Daemon possessed to respond in kind. Energy surge within the small bits of metal and wiring, rattling the Daemon's incorporeal form in a rather unpleasant manner.

"Stop that at once!" The Daemon seethed as their temper began to mount once more. "Are you blind or simply an idiot? I'm right here and in front of you, and you doubt the truth of my words?"

There was little that Rasteva could do in the wake of the man's ceaseless prodding, but the Daemon had been short on patience, to begin with. They'd suffered more than enough today, and the conversation was in danger of going nowhere if they didn't do something. A final and seemingly hamfisted poke drew a furious rumble from the Daemon in response. Smoke, black and formless suddenly surged from the device. From the outside, it looked as if the phone has spontaneously burst into flames. What followed next was less dangerous, but no less fearful.

A hand, cold as ice and forged from an unknown metal gripped the man's wrist none too gently. A set of sharpened claws glinted under the low light of the street lamps illuminating the area and flexed slightly with threatening intent. Whatever the hand had once been attached to had been abnormally large, and equally as loathsome. Hard edges and cold metal forged by unknown means displayed themselves unabashedly. There was nothing here that bore the markers of human hands. Runes etched before language even existed danced before the man's sight, each warping and twisting as if they were never meant to be read. What language they spelled out would never be known. At least not by anyone mortal.

The metal hand's grasp was firm, and oppressive but not bruising. The touch seemed not to be a threat, but a reminder that could only be sparked within the most primal and unconscious parts of the Human mind.

"I said enough."

There was nothing reassuring in the sound of Rasteva's voice. It's Bass tone carried no fatherly affection, and its tone only held barely repressed fury for whomever it was directed at. It didn't even seem as if Rasteva was producing words at all. Rolling thunder and the deep metallic resonance shook the bones and the Daemon's intent was felt more than heard. On the back of the gauntlet, a single red eye sat. Red and seething, it stared unblinking up at the man. No emotion could be discerned in Rasteva's cyclopean gaze, but their intentions were clear as they met the Human's eyes unflinchingly.

In their countless years of existence, the experience would be rated as the most polite greeting that Rasteva had ever given.

The Daemon was still for a moment and silence reigned. But a sudden and sharp gust of wind reminded them of where they were. What they were, and as quickly as the Daemon's corporeal touch had manifested, it unraveled altogether. Smoke seeped from the hand in dark wisps before it collapsed altogether as if it had never existed at all. A low groan sounded from within the dark cloud, and it retreated back into the man's phone almost tiredly.

They'd pushed themselves too much. And too soon. Rasteva mentally berated themselves for overextending themselves in such a manner. It was almost if they wanted to dissipate completely.

The screen flickered wildly, and Rasteva's from came into view, though much more faintly than before.

"Things have been...difficult recently, and I am quite weary." The Daemon began. "I'd rather not do that again for a while, and so you need to listen to me."

He'd asked what they were, but Rasteva wasn't quite sure where to begin. Even if they told the man the truth, he surely had no context for it now. And as it stood, spelling things out in an understandable manner was sure to take far longer than a conversation in the street warranted.

There were also more than a few things that the Daemon simply could not tell him under any circumstances.

"All that I am is but one of many. Our name is old, and terrible. How possibly could your feeble mind bear its weight? But Humans tried anyway and gave us names. Gods, Spirits, Fae. All this and more, but false. But some call us 'Daemon'. A guiding spirit, how laughable. The rest is too long to tell, at least here. But if you've a mind to listen, at least close your damn mouth, you're gaping like a fish. It's unsightly."

To say he'd expected anything other than just the display augmentation or noise which Rasteva projected would be an outright lie. The protesting of the little daemon in the box was almost amusing, its frustration as clear as the autumns breeze was crisp. The fear by now had changed to curiosity, almost desperate to understand what was going on, yet the shock was not gone entirely.

Soon returning as the cold clawed hands of Rasteva ceased the poking hand dead in its tracks, the full form of Tobias would go rigid as his mouth hung agape. Almost wanting to shout out, and throw his phone across the street, he was frozen. Both due to the fear of the unknown, but also for his curiosity of the unknown. As he stared down, listening to his new passenger speak, the loosely held cigarette that lingered unsmoked between his lips would finally slip free. Unnoticed as it fell down, only to be carried off by the same breeze that began to dissipate the weary traveler yet again.

Once inside, and after realizing just how much effort Rasteva had just exerted to do such a mundane task, Tobias would finally take a breath. Listening closely as his phone began to explain what was inside it to him, he couldn't help but feel unease given what he'd just seen. An armored hand went from spectral to solid, its metal claws twisting around his wrist with ease. Should that only be its hand, what did its full figure in true form look like? Looking to the illuminating eye that glowed in the center of his screen, it truly was a wonder to Tobias now. Though with the name of the creatures type he couldn't help but feel his assumptions were correct. Rasteva was likely fearsome in full force.

A Daemon.

An exceptionally rude one, at that. "Hold on, pause. Shush for a second." Toby said, less a request and more a demand of his own. It wasn't possible to make Rasteva comprehend the insanity of this situation, and just how unlikely any of this actually was, but it seemed as if there was progress being made. Using his free hand, he'd reach in his pocket and pull out a little ear piece. Pushing and holding a button in its side, it'd beep in unison with the phone. After which, he'd bring both hands down and simply press the camera button on the phones side. If his assumption was correct, and Rasteva was seeing him through the front facing camera and not the screen itself, then right now Rasteva should be looking at the sidewalk since the phone was still angled down. Though, this view would change, as soon enough he'd be slid in the front pocket of Tobys' dress shirt, the device just too tall which meant the top of the phone and camera lense itself looked more or less where Tobias himself was.

It's then that he'd finally speak, his voice crystal clear and without any emotion lingering in his tone. Using his ear piece, he'd be able to conceal his conversation with Rasteva and make it one sided. This would make it appear as though he was at least taking a call, and not just being insane while looking down to his phone on speaker while standing in the junction of a sketchy alleyway and main street. "Okay, Daemon, whatever you go by. Sure, you got my attention now, because I don't know any app that can physically grab my wrist." He'd began, slight wonder bleeding in through the end of his words. "One thing I'll have to say, Daemon, is we humans have names. Mine is Tobias Wolfe, and if you keep calling me human you'll learn what a microwave is." The final bit was a bit of a joke and threat, knowing the Daemon doesn't know what an office was he'd expect human tech was well beyond its understanding as well.

"Otherwise, I'm all ears. What do you need, and after you explain that, what do I get in turn?" Rastevas initial opinion of humans would likely be confirmed, they were greedy, though Tobias simply believed in the bartering system. Exchanging of goods for services. If he was going to have his phone possessed and help out some extra dimensional entity it better damn well be capable of giving him what he wanted. That being a never ending thrill, and end to the mundane. He'd read enough novels and heard enough fairy tales to know creatures from other realms, specifically old and powerful ones, had things beyond his comprehension, and he figured the best way to achieve such a prize would be to keep a level head and cool demeanor.

Little did they both know, a call to adventure was prize enough for the bored office worker.

"Shush? SHUSH?! You ask for an explanation and then have the gall to silence me? If I weren't lacking a body right now, I'd punt you over the Horizon." Rasteva devolved into a slew of irritated sounding grumbles shortly after. They weren't wholly compliant, but the Daemon was at least quieter than they'd been earlier. That had to count for something at least.

Instead, the settled for watching the man in silence. He'd seemingly pulled yet another device from nowhere and placed it into his ear to Rasteva's confusion. It boggled the Daemon's mind that Humans would carry so many items around with them. Rasteva mentally settled on the prospect of trying to learn what these things were as they seemed quite essential to the man. Human customs had never really interested them before, but given their state, it wouldn't hurt to enlighten themselves. At the very least it'd prove entertaining.

The man was tapping at the screen once more, and suddenly Rasteva's entire worldview changed. They were staring at the ground now, and they sputtered quietly in confusion. The Human couldn't have been struck by a sudden bout of shyness. He certainly didn't seem like the bashful type, and instead displayed a measured sense of aloofness. Rasteva grumbled again, merely sulking within the device as the man fumbled with it. Soon enough their perspective shifted once more. This time Rasteva was staring out at the world around the two of them, almost as if they'd regained a body.

'Ah, I see now.' They thought dimly as the man began to walk forward and spoke once more. He'd settled on a more convenient means of communication, as evidenced by the sound of his voice now seeming to emanate directly into the device. It was a bit jarring to hear. If they hadn't known any better, Rasteva would have thought that the man was inhabiting the device right alongside them.

He'd also regained some sense of self as well. Now that there was seemingly no danger, he addressed Rasteva more sternly. The tone his voice carried didn't really leave much in the way of argument, not that the Daemon had any means of doing so anyway. His manner of speaking was still confusing, but the Daemon was pleased to know that their previous point had gotten across clearly. Now that the Human wasn't drowning in confusion conversing with him would be much easier. Rasteva almost detected a hint of curiosity within the man's voice. They wondered how eager he'd be to learn once more was revealed to him, but knowledge was often a double-edged sword. And the older the knowledge, the deeper the cut. How many would the man bear after all was said and done?

How many would it take to before he broke completely?

Such depressing thoughts really had no place in the conversation, but Rasteva could not stop them. They hoped that the man they'd chosen was a stalwart sort, otherwise things would be all the more difficult.

'One thing at a time.' The Daemon thought silently. 'All that we can do is wait and see. Hopefully, this one is up to the task.'

For the moment, introductions were in order. Though the man's name proved to be as confusing as most of his speech.

"Wolf? You do not look like any Wolf that I have seen before. And you're not half as rude." They rumbled. "Speaking of. I hope that you're not overly fond of this planet's celestial bodies. The wolves that I speak of are quite ravenous."

Rasteva let out a series of metallic coughs akin to clearing one's throat before he spoke once more. "I am called...Hrmmm. Your language is an odd one. Too young for my name. And your throat may be left bleeding in speaking it truly. I think that Rasteva is as close as you will reasonably get. But I admit that it's not very close at all. I wonder if I might be able to write it for you. You wouldn't be able to read it, but looking at it won't kill you." The Daemon rambled on, wondering over the ramifications of letting mortal eyes gain sight of their name. Names held power. They always had. But if the Wolf Man couldn't read it, much less pronounce it, it should be reasonably safe. It wasn't as if Rasteva wasn't already subject to his whims anyhow.

Ah, but they were getting off track. Business needed to be attended to. The Human was right to ask what he'd get in return for his assistance. Nothing came free. Not in this world, or any beyond. Humanity's greed certainly ran deep in their blood, and the Daemon knew that they could be appeased with marginally little so long as they thought it was valuable.

But the thought of deceiving the man further was inherently dishonest. Rasteva was already lying to Tobias about a great deal. Cheating him out of his well-earned reward was a line that even the Daemon would not cross.

"What I need, is something returned to me. It was taken by many, and it's doubtful I will get the original returned to me. Impossible even." The Daemon began in earnest. "But that is alright. Power is a nebulous thing, isn't it? And yet we fight over the scraps all the same. Your kind knows this well, Wolf." They paused momentarily, as they considered how best to pose their request in an understandable manner. It had been established that Tobias wasn't stupid by any means. But Rasteva's request might still be one he'd have difficulty coming to terms with.

"My kind have learned what greed is. Some hoard power for themselves. Others hunt and stalk each other like animals, consuming the other to grow stronger. I once had power, now I do not. I sit no longer atop the pile. Now I must scavenge for scraps. It is dangerous and I can be destroyed easily. That is why I ask for your help. I must hunt, and I must grow. Help me seek out my kin, and help me grow mighty once more."

The Daemon felt a bitter feeling rise within them but quashed it immediately. This was the nature of things. The weak skulked about hoping for an opportunity to be weak no longer. This was now the Daemon's lot in life, but with Tobias' help, it did not have to stay that way forever.

"As for your reward. Well, I'm admittedly not versed in the things that Humans like. Shiny things, right? I know that you like those. Or perhaps you'd like me to kill someone? I can't grant wishes, your kind always asks for that and you need to stop. I can only take actions that may get you what you want. I can't make you a God either, so don't bother." The old Daemon ground out. Humans tended to ask for some ridiculous things. One in a long list of reasons that Rasteva had avoided contact with them. But things changed so quickly. Too quickly to even realize. Rasteva had the feeling that they'd be putting up with a lot of things that they didn't enjoy in the foreseeable future.

"I can bring back dead things, but it's quite horrific. Any loved ones you have are best left in the ground. In short, I can create or I can destroy. That choice, I leave with you, Wolf."

A majority of what the ancient being rambled on about was mostly unanswered, save for an acknowledging "Mhmm." time to time. For being so drained of their prior energy and power, this little Daemon now living within a cell phone sure had a lot to say. Not that Tobias could blame him, his curiosity had him listening to every word and most of which Rasteva said was absorbed as though it just may be the most interesting thing he'd ever heard. How often does one get the chance to say they've been commandeered by an extra-dimensional Daemon for some loony quest. Though, with a name like Daemon Toby should've expected this quest would be something dangerous.

"Hunt and stalk like animals?" Tobias repeated, though in a questioning tone.

Uh oh.

As Rasteva mentioned before, and continued to comment on, it was mighty coincidental that his last name happened to be Wolfe. Here he was, going about his business, and just out of the blue this creature appeared and is now asking of him to become the hunter that his name just happens to share similarity to. It was certainly an odd occurrence, but what was really interesting was the subject being requested. Rasteva was asking Toby to hunt - Likely kill other things. Other Daemons, in specific. If they were like Rasteva, then they were still cognitive creatures with personality and ambitions. Wouldn't it be ethically wrong to do this? Or were they more akin to Demons, malicious in their nature and filled with an intent to only do harm and injustice simply for their own entertainment. If that were so, and he was able to justify he'd be hunting wicked creatures, wouldn't that make Rasteva also evil and deserving of a similar end?

Perhaps these thoughts were too focused, and he should allow time to understand the situation better. Maybe with further explanation, and maybe there was a general list of old friends Rasteva had intended for Tobias to seek out. It's not like he could possibly hope this to become some sort of ancient Easter egg hunt, where finding one was a battle against powerful forces and the prize within wasn't chocolate, but cosmic power for rechargeable Daemon inside his cell phone.

"Man, what a drag." Tobias muttered upon hearing Rasteva finish speaking, though his comment wasn't at the limitations of what he had to offer. It was at the fact that his morality was getting in the way of obtaining such possible treasures. If anything were true, it's that Tobias Wolfe was by the book. A rule follower, which meant he hadn't even acquired a speeding ticket yet. Though, now that he thinks about it, it's not like there was a law against hunting spirits so his modern day mobile tamagotchi could level up. "Yeah, I guess you offer a fair wage. Though I have a ground rule before I agree to any terms. Unless they absolutely have it coming, I'm not harming a single hair on any human. We do this, then I need to keep my own humanity in tact. I'm not losing my way because I help out some Daemon." His offer was final, and unless they came across a truly bad person who absolutely needed to be reprimanded or dealt with, he'd refuse to make a victim of any mortal person.

"As for what I want." His lips curled in a slight grin, still walking along, nearly at his flat located down town. "Well, I've always wanted an adventure, something to keep me from being bored." Toby continued, getting to his truest desire. "I wan't you take away the mundane in my life, Rasteva. Doesn't have to be now, but when you get the ability to make it happen, you have to guarantee my day to day will always be rich with excitement." As for how that would be done, he'd leave this for the Daemon to think above over their journey. If he were to ask for money, or fame, or anything material and present then it would be fleeting. None of it would give a man with a nomadic mind like Tobias the kind of lifelong fulfillment, so hopefully a creature from a dimension beyond theirs could find such an answer. Or perhaps after all Tobias sees his desire may change, but for now he's looking for a way to live in the moment at all times. However that may be.

Tobias had proven to be a good listener so far. Whether through the actual virtue, or because he was merely curious, it mattered little to the Daemon. Though in all honesty, they couldn't blame the man's curiosity. Belief in the Supernatural had fallen quite far out of fashion with Humans. If Tobias' disbelief and refusal to admit to Rasteva's existence were anything to go on, he'd never encountered anything like the Daemon is his life.

If only all Humans were so fortunate.

His refusal to harm other Humans came as no shock to Rasteva, but the Daemon could not help a baleful laugh. "Few have been the Humans to partner with my kind that was interested in using that power for good. These people may not 'deserve it' as you so put it, but it will only be a matter of time until they do. Would you wait then? Watching as they commit one atrocity after another until they 'deserve it'? My kind are cunning, and Human laws mean little to us. Those of yours that know this, should not be trusted."

While Rasteva's words could be considered rather exaggerated, there was some horrible truth to it. A Daemon's power seemed almost addictive to some Humans. Granting them strength, vitality, and a better level of health than anything else could. And those Humans would do anything and everything to have that power. The old Daemon had been privy to all manner of war that Humans waged in the name of their Gods. Nothing but Daemons wearing the skin of Humanity's ghosts. And their Priests had spearheaded it all.

Daemons had no need for offerings. Gold was useless, and blood sacrifices even more. But Human Priests loved these things, and more. Rasteva had sat and watched, as their kin grew fat on the adoration of blind maggots. And those maggots that proclaimed themselves better than the rest, claimed to speak for their 'Gods'. Power. Money. Blood. They asked for it without end.

And the blind masses gave until they had nothing left.

Rasteva huffed in mild consternation, sensing that their thoughts would soon take an even darker turn. "I can promise that I will not seek to harm other Humans for no reason. It's best if I remained hidden away for now. But should they prove threatening to either of us, I will promise nothing. You may keep your soul, for now at least." Rasteva fell silent for a moment before speaking again. "Bear in mind, that I only need you alive to conduct my business. I wouldn't be at all upset if you died. But I assure you, that I'll take all the steps necessary to prevent that, Tobias. You're welcome."

It really was the best that Rasteva could offer. As far as the Daemon knew, no Humans were to be trusted just yet. They knew their own kind well enough. A ravenous Daemon needed little prompting to attack them, and a lone Human would pose little threat in return. But a Human entered into an accord with that very same Daemon? No, they would be the most dangerous of all. If they wanted power, they would take it, plain and simple.

And what would Tobias do? He wasn't a fool, but could he fight at all? Was he armed? Rasteva mulled over these thoughts in silence for a moment as they considered the possibility. The Daemon made ready to speak up on the matter, but Tobias' next words confused them greatly.

"Take away the mundane? You couldn't do that yourself already? I thought Humans loved doing whatever they wanted. At least, that is how it's always seemed to me."
The Daemon muttered snidely.

"I honestly expected something more simple. Like money, or the death of everyone you've ever hated. Are you telling me that there's not a single King that you want to be usurped so that you may steal his throne? No plans for an Empire? Is no waiting Army ready to slaughter at your behest? What a strange notion..."

Humans seemed to have changed. Or perhaps they didn't, and Rasteva never bothered to keep track of the change in nuance. Thrones were nothing but soft chairs situated behind large desks now. And the worth of an Empire wasn't measured in its military might, merely the money that it held. And of course, each King needed countless necks to put their boot too. Apparently, Tobias was one of those necks. But instead of any lofty ideals, or delusions of grandeur, he merely wanted something....different. Something, anything else than what life had granted him.

And perhaps that made him better than the rest.

"Well." The Daemon started, their tone was clearly puzzled. "That certainly won't be too hard, given what I'm asking of you. And I imagine you have all manner of questions for me. I don't have much now, but information if something that I never lack. Perhaps some lessons on things beyond your realm will keep you mentally stimulated."

Strange as it was. And loathe as they were to admit it. The prospect of teaching the man something intrigued Rasteva in a small way. The Daemon had never been particularly sociable, to begin with. And the problem with being constantly surrounded by people that knew everything right along with you was that there was nothing new to share. No news to grow excited over. No wonder at the unknown, no matter how terrifying the unknown proved to be. Having someone to speak to past only the barest sense, was turning out to be a pleasant experience for Rasteva.

"Something simple to start, of course. I don't want to overwhelm your tiny mind before we've begun in earnest."

They fell silent after that, merely content to muse over their next course of action for a while. But eventually, Rasteva began to take more notice and interest in their surroundings. The streets were dark, but not completely empty. Occasionally, another Human would pass them both on the street. But more often large machines of all kinds would sail past faster than Rasteva could follow them. The wind still howled, and Rasteva noticed that most of the Humans bundled themselves up to fend off the cold. Lights in every color glowed in the dark, calling like beacons in a language the Daemon could not read. It was maddening, and confusing, and so damn bright despite the sun having gone down a long time ago.

The Human city was nothing like where Rasteva had come from. Cold and dark, and nothing for as far as the eye could see. The concept that there was still more beyond what the Daemon could currently see made their proverbial head spin.

"Tobias. Where are we? And where exactly are you taking me?"

As Rasteva went on, Tobias smiled to himself while leading them on. Not because anything that was being said brought him any sort of joy, not at all, he was still far too perplexed by all this to really allow himself a certain happiness. He smiled because Rastevas initial response to his request was confusion, and he wanted to ask the Daemon if maybe his request was too much for such a mighty being. No. He'd let the creature continue with its little quips and comments, after all, you couldn't expect to teach etiquette to a timeless entity, could you?

Though the notion of offering him some information was sure interesting. What sort of knowledge could Tobias take? He'd considered himself an intellectual, perhaps in a different time he may well be a philosopher with how often he is lost within himself. Though now he was offered the chance to ask the big questions, maybe ones that no man could ever learn on their own. Something he wouldn't have to think about, instead, he could have it just handed to him. Maybe the meaning of life?

'I don't want to know this things idea of what the point of it all is...` Tobias was quick to forsake the idea of audibly asking such a request, instead simply shaking his head. He'd need time to come up with such questions.

"We're getting out of this cold." He'd answer, and unbeknownst to Rasteva they now walked among apartment complexes, one of which was where Tobias lived. Patting at both of his thighs, he'd feel the jingle of his keys in his right only to reach in and pull them out, it's then in a quick swiping motion he'd scan a FOB on a panel beside the door of one of the many chrome apartment complexes only to have the door automatically open. From there, it was a short walk through the empty lobby with the mail room to get to the elevator. With the doors opening immediately after pushing the button, fortunately not making them wait for it to arrive, they'd start riding up in no time. "Not sure what it's like where you're from, but we're going back to my home."

As the elevator traveled up, Toby would find himself looking down at his own feet. A bad habit where he looked down when unsure, something that made him shut down from the world around him and allow him to quickly escape his surroundings. When he got too caught up in his own thoughts, he'd often not even notice someone talking to him, or in this case-

Ding~

If it wasn't for someone else walking into the elevator after it arrived, he'd have never noticed. Snapping back in, he'd check the screen to make sure they were at his floor before stepping out into the hallway to head down towards his flat. It was easy to see his career was well paying, at least judging from the general appearance of the community he lived at, but just because he made a good wage didn't mean his soul was fulfilled. . . His soul.

"I'll probably hate myself for asking, but Rasteva, you commented earlier that I could keep my soul. This insinuated that the soul is real. If that's true, surely that suggests proof of an afterlife, or some sort of intelligent design?" He'd question, figuring something like Rasteva would have an answer on such a topic. Sure, he was pretty set in his beliefs such things weren't possibly real, so if anything he was simply asking what Rasteva had to say about the matter.

Along with that, Toby also wanted to ask Rasteva about their own home, but figured he may hear about it soon considering he was taking them to his own.

With his key already in hand, and outside his own apartment, he'd reach out and unlock the door with a click. Stepping in and getting the entry light on in the same motion, the apartment would soon light up. A quaint little one bedroom home no bigger than eight-hundred square feet. Hardwood floors, granite counters, it seemed his kitchen was the most furnished part of it in the sense there were utensils and spices nearly organized and at the ready to be used. Apparently he had a knack for the culinary. The living room, and bed room, were minimalist in design. For a man seeking an escape from the mundane he sure didn't seem to be making any actual attempts.

"Alright, Rasteva. No wind in here, and I have bigger stuff for you to possess should you want." Tobias would say, taking the phone out of his pocket and setting it face down on the kitchen counter beside the entrance. All the while he'd start to remove his coat and loosen his tie. His work day was over, or so he assumed.

If it was at all cold, Rasteva certainly couldn't tell the difference. A lack of nerve endings and a functioning brain to take in their signals did that to you. But, the Daemon was more than well aware of how windy it was. The thought of being inside, away from the near constant breeze was pleasant indeed. The scenery around them hadn't changed much as far as Rasteva could tell. Human buildings were tall and made of stone and metal. Here and there they could see glowing signs affixed to some. But what was written on them escaped Rasteva. Learning how to read would be their first priority. Being unable to make sense of the world around them wouldn't do at all. The Human world was confusing enough as it is. Rasteva didn't really want illiteracy added to their list of problems.

There were noticeably fewer Humans here than there had been further back. Silence reigned over the area, casting an unsettling air over everything. The shadows stretched far out of Rasteva's line of sight, and the Daemon idly mused as to what could be lurking in them. There'd long been a time when they didn't have to worry about such things. Hell, Rasteva had been the thing that lurked in the dark. But not anymore.

As if mocking them, something small and furry skittered from between two buildings, startling Rasteva and causing them to curse internally. The cat was about as remarkable as the other countless strays that roamed the streets. Normally its passing wouldn't even garner a second glance. And indeed it seemed content to go about its business. But it paused mid-stride abruptly, turning its furry head to stare at Tobias. It kept well away from the man, merely staring from a distance of several yards. The feline's body was suddenly tense, and its tail started flicking inquisitively as two green eyes stared right at the man's shirt pocket. Whatever it had seen, it didn't like.

A pair of triangular ears pressed tightly to the cat's skull, and the animal took several shaky steps back. Slitted pupils seemed ready to bore a hole into the phone in Tobias' pocket, and the small creature let out a low warning growl. It made no move to approach the man. Only standing in place fearfully for a minute longer before bolting back into the dark.

Rasteva knew that the cat had seen them. Animals were not like Humans. Whether through their own heightened senses, instincts, or something yet to be known, they could perceive Daemons, or at least their energies. And they hated it. The cat had clearly been caught off guard. Most animals tended to sense a Daemon coming from a ways off and fled accordingly. But, the Daemon hoped that such an event wouldn't become a common occurrence. If Tobias' presence sent animals into a frenzy everywhere he went, then someone would definitely notice.

"Be mindful of the creatures you keep company with." The Daemon said softly. "They do not like the smell, nor the sight of us. An animal's mind does not grapple with its own mortality. It only pays heed to the things that pose a danger to it."

Soon, but not as soon as the Daemon would have liked, they made it inside. The interior of a Human building made about as much sense as the outside, but Rasteva was glad to be away from the elements. They were not alone, not yet and Tobias had long since fallen silent. Rasteva settled for sizing up the other Human that entered the cramped space with them, but before they could make sense of anything Tobias hurried off. It seemed, that they'd arrived. Tobias immediately seemed much more at ease once the door had closed behind him, and Rasteva didn't see anyone else just yet.

"This is your home then? It is....empty."

Slowly, and almost tentatively, the small cloud emerged from the phone. If a cloud could at all look tense, Rasteva certainly did. It took a few moments, but eventually, they uncoiled their form a bit further seeming to relax once they were sure that the area was safe. Rasteva floated above Tobias' head taking stock of their surroundings. The small space was indeed noticeably bare. No clutter to be found as far as Rasteva could see. Tobias seemed to be an orderly person and clearly preferred a clean living space. But nothing stuck out to the Daemon. Odd, considering that they'd never been inside of a Human's home before. Try as they might, Rasteva could not shake the feeling that something was missing from the man's home.

They decided to let it be for the moment. A sense of wrongness wasn't wholly unexpected given their situation. Perhaps all that Rasteva needed was time to adjust. They instead busied themselves with looking around. Poking and prodding at various objects within the dwelling. The Daemon suddenly remembered that Tobias had asked them something before, and strove to answer him lest he be kept waiting too long.

"I would not call your design intelligent. If you were even designed at all. If there exist beyond this place, Gods that can claim to have made you, we've never met. All that I know, are those that pretend to be your deities." The Daemon's form effused a potted plant, and Rasteva took a moment to make sense of it. The leaves, the roots winding into the dirt. It was small and simple. But ultimately unsuited for a Daemon. No sooner than they had made themselves comfortable, the leaves began to wilt and shrivel. Rasteva darted from the pot immediately, not wanting to ruin any of Tobias' belongings any further.

"Strange. I had thought that without a mind to fight back...Hrmmm." The Daemon muttered. "You asked about souls, didn't you? There is a reason that I cannot simply steal your body and use it as my own. Something within the Human mind, whether willfully or not, fights against being inhabited by something else."

Rasteva settled for lowering themselves into a vase, their deep voice rumbling starkly from within. "Much like I was in your device earlier. Or this vase. The essence of your being and your body are separate things. But for a Daemon like myself, they are one and the same. Our bodies are projections of a sort. Our wills made physical. When a Daemon perishes, our essence can be taken. Inert and without a will. But for some reason, it is not the same with Humans. When you die, your essence leaves. To where I cannot say. But nothing can own you when you are dead. I could take your body then, I suppose. But it would not work properly. It would still decompose, people would notice. A Human corpse makes a good puppet, but not a very good costume, you see." The little cloud rose from the depths of the vase, choosing to drift back over to Tobias and hover over his head.

"I had presumed that your plant would be different. It has nothing that could be called a soul. Or if it does, not one strong enough to fight my influence. But it began to die. Perhaps it is too weak to contain a Daemon's power. If that is the case, then you should get another plant. This one has disgraced you with its weakness."

The little cloud glared at the potted plant or tried to anyhow. It was hard to do when one was lacking eyes. But by God did Rasteva try. "It didn't even put up a fight. How shameful."

Upon watching his houseplant begin to die, he began to wonder the effects of maybe being possessed by a Daemon himself. Rasteva, even as a puny cloud, would likely be a toxin on his mortal body. Cancerous to his health, only something that should be allowed in the most dire of circumstances. Walking over to the plant, he'd reach out and touch at the wilted leaves for a moment, only to then move to the fridge where he'd open the freeze and reach in to pull out a few cubes of ice. Walking back, he'd set them down in the soil of the little fern, hoping the cold water would bring life back through the dying greenery that acted as the only source of life in his apartment. "You don't know much about plants. Or maybe natural life, I suppose." Wolfe muttered, soon after walking away from it and back towards the fridge. From there he'd start pulling out a few things to prepare a dinner for himself. Cream, eggs, and a handful of veggies and mushrooms. He'd intended on making an omelet of sorts.

"You mentioned cats, you should know there is a big difference between each living creature. Probably greater a difference than a powerful Daemon, and... Well, the current you." The man slowed down and quieted a bit as he ended the sentence, not trying to offend, simply make a point. "We have insects, animals, and plants. I suppose that's how I divide up the life on Earth. Animals being the most intelligent, and readily impact things around, we still have insects to tend to all the little things. Plants, while incapable of thinking or reacting for the most part, are the most important out of everything else. Without animals, plants would continue. Without plants, everything else would cease to live on." While rambling, he was chopping up ingredients and getting a pan of butter frying so he could continue to prepare for himself. "I don't think anything lives that is capable of housing you, so I'd suggest finding something artificial. Man made, or maybe natural."

With the sizzling in the background, and the aroma of pesto and garlic now fuming in the kitchen area, the aromatic event actually helping calm but also wake Tobias up.
"After seeing what you did to a plant, well... I don't want you anywhere near dogs at this point." A small jest, with a faint smile now showing upon his face. He knew already that animals had a means of perceiving Daemons, which was good that he's never bothered getting a house cat like he had been considering. A companion to ease the lonely stay at home nights. Maybe a mini Daemon can fill that void.

"Other than finding you shelter, just how do you plan on seeking out these kin of yours? Better yet, how do you plan on having me help with taking them out for you? I have a firearm, but I'm not sure bullets work on clouds of smoke." It's at this point he was sprinkling cheese over his meal, and turning everything off only to slip the food onto a square plate. Taking some leftover cold bacon pea salad out of the fridge and pouting it beside the half circle of eggs stuffed with all sorts of goodies, he'd end it with a dollop of guacamole before moving to sit at a bar stool on the other side of the kitchen counter, the breakfast bar offering as a narrow but fine place to eat. With an ice cold beer and a full plate of food, he was most ready to hear just how he'd be tackling the hardship of Daemon hunting. The way he looked at Rasteva before taking his first bite suggested as much.

"Why would I?" The Daemon replied blandly. "That kind of knowledge was pointless in my realm. Until recently anyway." Despite not having the energy to project a solid form, Rasteva's shape changed constantly. With no winds to assault their frame, the Daemon lazily shifted from one shape to the other as if trying them all out. They flattened themselves out, a black disk with an ever-widening hole in the middle. Still situated over Tobias' head, it was a crude mockery of a halo. The irony of it wasn't lost on Rasteva and they let out a soft chuckle.

The man's care of the little plant struck them as odd. It didn't make sense to care for something that seemed useless in every aspect. Tobias would have been right to throw the thing away, but he fussed over the crippled plant as if it were able to feel pain and speak to him. His explanation only further served to confuse the Daemon. As far as Rasteva was aware, things were either alive or they weren't. They knew that some kind of distinction had to be made between them all, but Rasteva measured that distinction by how much of a nuisance said thing was. Humans apparently had the time and necessity to further break things down. Plants, animals, insects. All used to be one and the same to Rasteva, but now they knew that learning the difference could aid them greatly.

Animals felt fear, but did they feel the same kind as Humans? Did insects fear at all, or were they more like plants? If they'd had temples, Rasteva would surely be rubbing them in stress. It was more than they'd expected. A small, rueful part of them wondered if they should have paid more mind to Humanity. They certainly would have been better prepared for everything. But that same corner of Rasteva's mind also wondered if they'd be here at all. Or if they'd have simply ended up like the rest of their kind.

The small cloud groaned deeply. An exhausted and irritable sound. Rasteva was far and away from being stupid, but the Daemon had never been forced to consider so many small and insignificant things before. 'Well, that is what Tobias is for after all.' They mused as they drifted further into the kitchen. They watched on in silence as he busied himself, handling strange objects and throwing them together. More plants? Some of them looked the part, but the rest...

A noise from the man brought Rasteva back to the present, and they cursed themselves for mentally drifting off yet again. "How do we find other Daemons. The simplest solution would be to go where there happens to be trouble. One is sure to be involved, but you may not enjoy that so much." There had been a time before when Rasteva could see, well...everything. They'd known the souls of their own kind, each glowing dimly in the darkness between time and space. They hadn't needed to look or travel far to find another Daemon then. But things were different now, they were harder and much more irritating.

But that wasn't going to stop the Daemon from trying.

"I can sense my kind, and they can sense me. Weak as I am, I need to be closer than you or I would like but worry not. This City was of particular interest to me before my fall. There's an odd concentration of Daemons in this place. While it's not uncommon to find more of lurking around in large cities, they have converged here. Either consciously or not. I really can't say. But it is odd. If we look hard enough, we're bound to run into another."

Arnvista was not the only city on Earth to boast such a large concentration of Daemons. But what made it so odd, was that the convergence had only begun fairly recently. By a decade at most. Such a sudden and drastic shift in their kind's behavior had been one of many reasons for Rasteva's ire. But it had seemingly worked in their favor as well. They really didn't want to think about the time they'd waste searching for other Daemons if they hadn't decided to cluster here.

"A gun won't save you. Neither will a blade. Our bodies can take on more solid forms and will respond to a measure of force. You could shove a weak enough Daemon and topple them, but lasting and fatal damage will be impossible for you." They drifted closer to Tobias, watching for a moment as he ate his meal. "What are you doing?" They murmured more to themselves than the man in front of them before forging ahead with their explanation. "Our energy resonates in such a matter that it should be virtually impossible by your standard Laws of Physics. Do you recall what I said about how we will our bodies forth? It is that. Willpower made real. A Daemon's power can only be canceled out by another Daemon. Two wills locked in combat until one succumbs to the other. Naturally, there are other factors to take into consideration as well. If one Daemon is more powerful by a substantial amount, no measure of belief will change that."

The gleam of Tobias' utensils caught the Daemon's eye suddenly. A sense of deep longing filled them as they took in the sight of the metal. "Bullets I cannot take hold of. But a blade may do, at least for now." The Daemon said in a wistful tone.

"So."

Audrey looked up suddenly, guilt written all over her face despite having done nothing wrong. She'd been in the middle of shoving Jalapeno Poppers into her mouth but the sound of Allister's voice drew the woman away from her meal briefly.

"Well, first of all, stop deep throating your food and chew it. Just a suggestion. Second, have you considered what I spoke to you about a few days ago?"

Audrey's strange display of guilt gave way to slight panic and she sat up straighter in her seat. "Look, guy."

"I'm not your guy, but go on."

"Oh my God why- Listen, dude. I can't do it. You're asking me to take on more responsibility when I can barely handle the ones that I have? Have you seen my car? Have you seen my apartment? I'm not even qualified to be an adult and you want me applying for an even harder job?" Allister deadpanned at the woman seated across from him, his coffee and pie set aside for the time being. They were supposed to have drinks, but Allister had eventually decided against alcohol when taking his workload into consideration. Audrey was a social drinker and didn't partake nearly as often as one would think. So with that said and done, the pair had opted to while away the evening in one of the City's countless eateries.

"I have seen your car and your apartment. Both of which aren't as bad as you're making them out to be. And qualified or not, you're still an adult. You haven't managed to get yourself killed yet, so what's the problem?"

Audrey wasn't wholly convinced by his words and resumed eating, this time a bit slower. Allister sighed at the woman. "Richard needs a second Lieutenant. And you're a slightly less awful option than the rest. What's stopping you, really?"

"I can't read." The answer was delivered so swiftly and with such a level of gravitas that Allister was taken aback for a split second. "You..can't read? Really Audrey? You can't read. You read the damn menu pretty well earlier."

"It has pictures in it, so that doesn't count." Audrey punctuated this statement by taking a prolonged sip of her Iced Tea and Allister rubbed tiredly at his forehead. "Look, guy." He scoffed, mocking Audrey's previous choice of words lightly. "You're not fooling anyone with that shit. Especially not me. And definitely not Richard. You're a lot smarter than you like to say, and you're good at what you do. You're an exceptional Handler. You consistently test higher for Manifestation Ability than anyone else at your level. Apply for the position. Become Lieutenant, and for the love of God, help Matsuko out. The workload is not treating her well and she could use a hand. She's going to stab someone eventually. And not in the usual way that she does when she's pissed off. I mean, someone might actually die this time."

Audrey's shoulders slumped and she pursed her lips. She seemed to be grappling with some internal monologue and Allister waited patiently for her response. Something was obviously eating the woman up about the whole thing, and while he'd resolved to push her at Richard's behest he also knew that she needed time to sort things out.

Her gaze shifted to the window, staring unseeing at the semi-busy streets outside. "I just...Man, I haven't even been here as long as other people, yanno? Do I even deserve to try? And it's a lot of responsibility, yeah. But I'm not afraid of the work. Just fucking up."

That was a sentiment that he could understand. Audrey was nothing if dedicated. She pulled her own weight, and Allister had never known her to shirk her duties. But she still seemed to regard the workplace pecking order as a real and credible thing. He couldn't blame her for that either. It was the same anywhere you went. The long timers got first call on anything offered from above. Allocating what they considered rightfully theirs to anyone but themselves was a surefire way to piss of the Old Guard.

But Apex was different. Lorette was different. Experience was a crucial factor in all of her decision making, but raw, limitless talent was a rare gift that she'd never turn down.

Allister hummed softly, stabbing at his pie with a fork. "Well. You may think that. But Richard doesn't. And neither does the Madame. Your potential is wasted wallowing at the lower level. She knows this. Just because you're unrefined now, it doesn't mean that you'll stay that way. Mistakes are natural. We all make them."

"Lorette doesn't." Came the quiet reply.

"What do you mean? She hired you, didn't she?"

That drew a smile from Audrey and Allister chuckled softly. "Please. Just put in the application. There are still other people going for the position, so anything could happen." The redhead sighed audibly, knowing that Allister wouldn't relent until she agreed. She idly wondered if this was why he'd even decided to come out with her at all. "Fine. I'll do it. Bitch...Who's applying anyway?" She was genuinely curious. It had been long speculated that Richard would need another Lieutenant at some point. But the man wasn't known to openly favor anyone, at least not openly. As it stood, it was anybody's game.

"I don't completely know," Allister said, pausing to take a sip of coffee. "But I did hear that Jarvis is applying."

"Oh God, not that guy. He doesn't even lift!" Audrey scowled and resumed eating, this time a little more angrily than before.

"Yes. That's because he has his partner do all the heavy lifting. Still, he's got good marks that means he's got a good chance."

"I am not taking orders from that tiny bastard." Audrey spat. Allister only smiled in the face of her irritation. "Then you'd better get a move on. But I don't expect a decision to be made until Richard wraps up this awful business in the slums. It's getting bad enough that the Madame set him on the trail personally. She must really be interested in what's going on out there."

Audrey shrugged noncommittally, wiping at her face with a napkin. "I can't blame her. The murders are becoming so much more frequent. What do you think it is anyway? Reports say that there was more than one trail out there, right? That's pretty weird." Allister nodded, resting both arms on the table to give Audrey his full attention. "Yes. Ferals don't move in groups. We now know that the Menagerie was anomalous in that regard. But it looks the same so we can't rule it out completely. Human interference is definitely all over the place though. No one likes to consider Gang Violence for these types of things, but well..."

Audrey had finally finished, pushing aside her empty plate to sit back in her seat. "Except for the fact that no one's said have laid claim to that area at all. These guys might be new, but I feel like we'd have heard about them by now. APD has been pretty tight-lipped about the whole thing too."

"No surprise considering the state that the bodies are found in. It's pretty horrific stuff. But there's definitely more than one party involved now. It used to be just one every few months. But they're happening simultaneously now. A body was found a few hours ago, it's only a matter of time before they find another."

Allister watched as Audrey's gaze found the window again. He watched the flickering streetlights with her. The City was immeasurably beautiful at night. And at times, peaceful. But that peace was becoming harder and harder to find as of late. He worried more than usual recently, wondering if recent events were just the tip of some yet to be seen iceberg. He hoped that wasn't the case.

"Is it safe for Richard to be out there alone?" She finally asked. This time Allister had to bite back a laugh. "Safe? It won't be for anyone that runs into him."

"Well yeah, the Chief is stupid strong. But if these guys are in a group, they could jump him. We still can't even place them on the Power Threshold yet."

That was a legitimate concern, Allister was forced to admit. Given the nature of the killings and the numbers involved, pinning down a single signature had been next to impossible. And Daemonic energies faded fairly quickly. Between six to eight hours and the trail was gone altogether. Richard was powerful, and Afnet even more. But Allister wondered if the man's power would serve more like a beacon than a deterrent in this case.

"Well, he's not alone. Afnet is always with him. And Cai Jie is watching from above. Right now our concern is finding a viable trail and chasing it back to the culprit's hiding place. The rest will sort itself out."

Audrey's gaze hadn't shifted from the window, but her voice carried a slight tone of uncertainty. "Dude I really hope so."

Unsurprisngly so did Allister. He had no other choice.

As he continued his meal, seated comfortably there while watching the wispy visage of Rasteva move about, Tobias began to wonder just what the end of this would all be. It crossed his mind that maybe helping this thing achieve total power could be negative for the world around him, or maybe it will somehow change his own will and impact his own environment in an ill manner. Perhaps his perception of humanity will shift, and maybe the Daemons views and influences will become stronger and influence him as Rasteva achieves the strength he seeks.

Or maybe this will actually be beneficial, since he'll be likely one of the first of his kind who had a Daemon seek him out for power, and not the other way around. There was no greed, or want in Tobias, meaning there wasn't a way to influence him as of yet. Maybe the longer they stay together, the more Rasteva will be forced to endure humanity, learning from it and that it would be best if his kind indeed stopped meddling in human affairs. If anything, this could be the start to a balance.

"A blade?" Tobias questioned, looking down to his left hand that held a knife which was being used to break up his meal so his fork could bring reasonable bites to his mouth. This meant he'd be expected to get in face to face combat with enemies, and while he wasn't exactly weak he didn't have much formal training in close quarters combat. Sure, his first job with the government under military funding offered classes, but it wasn't something he picked up on... As far as he knows, all that is lost on him already.

Clearing his throat, and taking a sip of water, he'd look towards Rasteva and offer a slight frown.
"Well, it's just dandy that you can sense these acquaintances of yours. I hope that also means you know to avoid ones that will take more than a bread knife to take down. I don't plan on becoming fodder simply because you're too ambitious." The way he spoke almost made him sound stern to the Daemon, laying another ground rule that Rasteva should definitely consider. He wasn't the biggest fish in the sea, and it was expected that he'd keep that in mind while they patrol.

"As for finding trouble." He'd pause, and reach over to start looking through his phone. Not answering the Daemons question about food since it was in passing, he'd instead leave that educational bit up to the beings imagination. "We can always pull up a police scanner. It's a good way to hear about trouble, and what kind'a trouble, before any proper action is taken. I'm not against going to where the fire burns hottest." It's after a few moments on his cellular device that radio chatter would quietly begin to play, an easy task to set up for someone from government IT work. Setting it back down on the counter before him, he'd pick his fork and knife up again only to continue finishing his dinner.

Now mulling over this force of will concept, he'd wondered just how much influence a human could have. Was it expected that Rasteva would use him until he was a big enough fish to hunt on his own after? Or was Tobias actually going to be a useful instrument throughout his agenda? It was possible that he didn't know the nuances of the world which could mean he'd be discovered by
other Daemons and taken care of by a group before he became a real threat. Especially since if they were as big as they say, it's very likely Rasteva would be recognized as a threat to deal with before becoming an actual problem.

Once finished, Tobias would turn in the
bar stool behind the counter and look out into the city through the floor to ceiling windows across the living space. There he'd notice the sun setting in the horizon, and a new thought came to mind. "I imagine the best chance we have is doing this job at night time, huh?" He questioned, suddenly realizing just what kind of sleep schedule he was about to be committed to.

Rasteva considered the butter knife carefully. Its blade was dull. So much so, that it was offensive. Did Tobias really mean to wield the thing in battle? If so, they'd both wind up dead before a blow could even be struck. "Perhaps we might find you something a bit sharper, yes? I doubt you'll be killing anyone with that. Even if I did everything I could to avoid the most dangerous of my kind." The small cloud rumbled.

Tobias' scolding was met with some level of indifference, but the proud Daemon was silently forced to admit that the man was right. Navigating the world at large was a hassle enough. Drawing the ire of something far stronger than either of them would spell their immediate end. "I can only hope that the strongest ignore us altogether. We two have very little to offer them." The Daemon said. It was true, for the most part. There was always a bigger fish in the sea to chase after. Ratseva's and Tobias' only legitimate value at present was that they were easy prey, not the particularly filling kind. A depressing gift, if it could even be called one. But staying off the radar was as good an option as any right now.

Not that Tobias agreed in the slightest. Rasteva was certainly eager to get things done and never lacked for purpose. But their Human partner seemed a little too eager for excitement. 'Well, that is what he desired isn't it?' The Daemon thought balefully. They only hoped that the man would follow his own damn advice and pace himself. "You don't lack for courage, I see. I am glad for that. A coward would serve me no use. But don't dance too close to the flames, yes?" Rasteva watched in momentary silence as Tobias fiddled with his device again, assuring the Daemon that it would help them in their search. The Daemon had no understanding of the thing worked still, but Tobias did well enough that they had no problem trusting the man's judgment.

"Weakness seeks weakness. To either consume or to band together in a pale imitation of strength. We would be best served searching the places where your kind is most desperate, and weak. We're sure to find other Daemons there, weak Daemons. A safer course of action than running around the city at random and looking for trouble."

The small cloud floated there in silence, listening to the scanner and trying to make sense of the things being said. A task easier said than done. The Daemon had absolutely zero context for the stream of words pouring out of the device and silently struggled to piece them all together.

To the Human ear, it was all typical. Speeding, break-ins, and robberies. Illegal crossings at red lights. The City was indeed active, even if the sun had gone down. Sleep hadn't taken over Arnvista. Not yet, and it was doubtful if it ever would. Business and life continued with or without the Sun's watchful gaze over everything. Tobias was right to say that their search would be easier during the dark. That was when the City's less savory individuals came out to play. There were less prying eyes to observe illicit goings-on. And less witness to whatever happened during and after. For a good while, nothing stood out, at least not to Rasteva though Tobias might say otherwise.

The murders, grisly and unheard of were the talk of the town recently. It was all that anyone heard on the news these days. Fortunately for Arnvista's more well off citizens, they all happened in the slums. In fact, the deaths generally wouldn't have been worth reporting at all if they weren't so distressingly frequent. Naturally, everyone worried that they might start to bleed out into the nicer portions of the city, but that had yet to happen. The Police were mired in the affair, and it was almost their sole focus.

Almost.

Whenever big problems arose in the city, smaller ones cropped up by the dozens. A string of muggings was most notable. But it being...well, the Slums. And the fact that APD had its hands full with other things meant that they weren't getting the attention they probably deserved. No one had died, yet. And the victims weren't exactly rolling in money either. What could they have possibly had worth stealing at all? Strangely, or even stranger depending on who you spoke to, a good number of the victims were Homeless. If anyone had nothing worth stealing, it'd have been the people with nothing at all. Naturally, most of the victims didn't want the Police involved, lest their own secrets are uncovered. But a man being beaten within an inch of his life outside was worth at least picking up the phone for. Whether or not the Police bothered to respond, however, was an entirely different matter.

"This makes no sense to me at all." The Daemon grumbled. "What is a 'Mugging'? I know what assault is at least, I used to do it all the time. One day I hope to resume doing it. Tobias, is a Human just attacking people for no reason? It seems typical for your kind, I'll admit. But it seems to have no reason behind it at all. Perhaps this may be what we are looking for."

The attack happened at the corner of Clarity and Chesnut. Such delightful names. They evoked an image of a peaceful street, lined with shady trees. Quiet and without danger. The truth couldn't be further from it. Clarity was a dingy little side street if it could even be called that at all. The dead-end situated at the top of the short asphalt track rendered it a glorified alleyway more than anything else. It opened and intersected with Chesnut, an unremarkable stretch of road lined with shabby houses and filled with even shabbier occupants. Just like everywhere else in the poorest part of the city, no one liked the police, and no one liked talking to the police. The perfect hunting grounds really. No witnesses, no police, no problems at all. Depending on what side of the issue you ended up on, of course.

The Weak ate the weak there. And for better or worse, Hunting Season had officially started.

Richard had never had a problem fitting in. He was polite, affable and his Southern drawl put people at ease without him even meaning too. But he also stood out, a lot. Not for any reason that the man thought to consider. He certainly didn't do it on purpose. But Richard was, as Matsuko put it, obnoxiously tall. Six feet, eight inches of obnoxiously tall. Richard generally didn't put much stock in his Lieutenant's jabs about his height. e could reach the top shelf at the grocery store and never had to worry about his view being blocked by someone standing right in front of him. She herself was what he'd call suspiciously short, anyhow. A woman had no business just barely breaking five feet tall. He couldn't see what she was doing down there, it could have been anything. As it stood, Richard feared for the safety of his kneecaps whenever Matsuko was angry. Which was often.

But, as he lurched and stumbled through the drab streets of Arnvista's slums, the man had to admit that she might be right. Richard was a scruffy looking individual on a good day. Wild hair and stubble that refused to quit no matter how often he shaved. Unkempt but otherwise unremarkable. And the Slums were overflowing with unkempt unremarkables. A lot of them drunk. Which Richard wasn't. He'd only taken a few swigs of cheap whiskey, spitting it out into the street and splashing more onto himself to get a nice alcoholic stink going. His clothing was dusty and tattered, topped off with a wide-brimmed hat fraying at the edges. He weaved and wobbled through the cramped streets, a battered guitar case in one hand, frequently muttering to himself about nonsensical things. The weather, plans for lunch tomorrow, a meeting he had with the Boss. No one he passed gave him more than a cursory glance.

But, but. There was always a but, wasn't there? Richard was too damn tall. The clothes didn't matter, the stink of alcohol was par for the course. The crazed mumblings about things he probably wasn't going to do didn't cause a single eye to bat. A man lugging around a guitar case for no reason was barely anything to phone home about. He was a homeless drunkard, no more and no less.

But he was still too damn tall.

Of all the things that people would stop and stare at, it just had to be Richard's height. Matsuko was right, and he probably owed her an apology. Her ego was sure to grow nearly three sizes as a result but Richard was no stranger to humility. And the fact of the matter was that Drunk Cowboys were exceedingly common in the slums. But well over six feet of Drunk Cowboy was a bit of an eye raiser.

"Watch where the hell you're going! You half-assed, Jolly Green Giant lookin' son of a bitch!" A voice spat as Richard nearly bowled them over in the middle of his supposedly alcohol-induced jaunt.

"Damn. Godzilla really hit rock bottom didn't he?" Another tittered rudely.

"Watch out. If he falls on you, it'll kill you for sure."

And on it went throughout the man's walk. Somebody, somewhere just had to say something. Richard genuinely enjoyed Matsuko's presence, despite their differences. She was smart, spirited and generally fun to be around. But the man knew that if she could even hear what he had to put up with while wandering the Slums, she'd be having the time of her life. There was no foreseeable way that Matsuko wouldn't hear the insults being flung at Richard and remember them for later use. He wouldn't survive. No, it was a good thing that she'd remained at the office for this one.

Staying off the radar was imperative. Richard had a great deal of snooping to do, after all. Striding around the Slums armed, and in a suit was a great way to draw attention. Unwanted attention. But no one was going to bat an eye at one more hobo. Even if he wasn't one of the 'regulars' seen squatting around the neighborhood, it didn't matter. The outskirts of the city was a sea of grimy faces. No one cared to recall any of them. A weird voice, maybe. Something they'd done wildly out of the ordinary, sure. But every day that was getting harder to define. Hell, everyone was going to remember the giant cowboy. But no one would recall his face, or bother to ask his name. Richard was a ghost, a tall, smelly ghost.

And he was happy to remain that way for as long as he needed to. APD had a lock on the murders. But not what Richard would call a handle on them. None of them really knew what was going on. At least he assumed that none of them knew. Getting close enough to the Police to look required taking the kind of action that was more trouble than it was worth. And Richard wasn't looking for trouble. Not yet, and not from the Police.

The crime scene was easy enough to find. The news reported on it relentlessly, and only someone blind, deaf, and dumb would miss the flashing sirens and yellow tape blocking the whole thing off. People gathered as close as they could, craning their necks to take a look. All hoping to get just a peek at the carnage. Richard didn't need to see the body to find what he was looking for. He lurched against a telephone pole a ways back from the group, eyes unfocused as he stared straight ahead. Just another drunk, probably drawn to the noise like a moth to a flame. No one cared one whit for him. The Police were occupied with keeping the rubberneckers back. So short of causing a massive scene, no one was going to pay Richard any mind.

He dropped his guitar case next to him heavily as he rested his back against the splintered wood of the pole. Richard didn't speak, merely resting his hand atop the case, and tapping idly at the worn leather with a finger. Something hissed just at the edge of his hearing. It wasn't unlike the sound leaves made skittering across the ground when blown by the wind. And combined with the cacophony of the crime scene in front of him, it was barely audible. "Well, get to it." He mumbled to seemingly no one in particular. The hissing faded. Whatever had created the noise leaving the area. Richard simply waited in silence. A half empty bottle of whiskey in one hand, and the other resting on his guitar case.

His distant gaze watched the Crime scene all the while. Each movement and word filed away for further perusal at a later date. Nothing of note caught his attention, not from the distance he was at. All of the pertinent facts were being rounded up by Afnet, he knew that the Daemon would be thorough, they always were.

No one noticed the Hydra's approach. How could they have? The Daemon's form flattening impossibly thin and shielded by the asphalt. If there was a space that Afnet could squeeze into, they would find it. It didn't matter if they were cracks in the ground or the spaces between the very molecules, they always found a way. It was in this way that the Daemon crept close, searching, listening, gathering what they needed for their hunt. The trail was almost cold, but it was still faint. The Hydra could sense it. Two Daemons had been in a struggle right where the mangled corpse of a Human sat. In all honesty, it couldn't be called much of a struggle at all. One of the involved parties was much stronger than the other, and they'd come out victorious. It was always that way. And it would always be that way. Afnet knew this, and so did Richard. But the man hadn't asked for a philosophical look at the whole thing, just the basics. Just the facts. It was all the man ever needed. The rest would follow.

Richard didn't really know how long he waited for Afnet's return. That wasn't important. Only that he was there long enough to fade into the background. Just another Human prop that decorated the dingy streets. Only that no one noticed when the shabby, drunken cowboy got to his feet and lurched away into the dark. Richard could have very well disappeared off the face of the earth, and no one would notice. No one would care. One more soul lost to the dark streets.

What a life.

He continued to wobble through the streets. Still talking to himself. If anyone bothered to listen they'd have heard some particularly interesting things fall out of the man's mouth. "Trail still has a pulse, we're lucky...Yeah, it's the same guy, I know.....Mmhm....Jie is somewhere around here...Think it might be an 'A'...." And on it went. But nobody noticed. Nobody cared. And nobody ever would.

Richard rather preferred it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back