Four Pages of Exalted 2nd. ed. Combat examples...

I haven't read through it all yet, but here's some stuff that I find noteworthy ... and please, correct me if I've misinterpreted (bolded text in [] :S is the header of the section the relevant passages are found in Kasumi's post):

• You act on the tick specified by your Join Battle action, and after that, whenever your actions "tick-cost" has been achieved. Meaning, you may act more than once before another player (without "splitting" your action), if his tick is large enough, and your actions are cheap enough.[Join Battle, Actions and Speed]
  • You may Move (note capital M) your Dex yards *every* tick. Even when it is not your action. This move is reflexive and without DV penalty. One can also Dash for faster movement, but this counts as an action.[Move]
  • A character who suffers more health levels of damage in a blow than their Stamina may be stunned. Failure [at a stun-check] levies a 2 dice penalty on all non-reflexive actions until the tick when the attacker next acts.
    -> does this mean defensive, reflexive Charms (or any reflexive Charms) ignores this penalty? [Knockdown, Stunning, Bleeding and Infection]
  • the DB First Excellency efficiency is greater than the Solars? (DB: 1 mote/2dice, Solars: 1 mote/1 dice), though the DB:s have a lower cap on dice cap. [Morale, Readying a Weapon, Piercing Damage and Extras]
  • Internal vs. External penalties. An internal penalty applies to dice pools (penalty before roll). An external penalty removes successes (penalty after roll).

... More as I read on.

• "However, perfect defences always have flaws. When you buy a perfect defence charm, you must choose a flaw based on one of the four virtues. In this case, the Invincible Sword Princess chose the Conviction Flaw, which means the charm doesn't function when she's acting contrary to her Motivation. Since her Motivation is "Prove myself the greatest master of the sword who has ever lived", in this instance, it isn't a problem."
    [Perfect Defences]

To answer the question about DB Excellency, they've always been more cost effective charms. Re-read the 1st Edition DB book ^_^

Also, I really love the perfect defence reasoning this time around. I love it, base it off your virtues. Truly, can combat be all the more epic and meaningful to the story.

The only thing thus far that I'm having problems with is the Reaction Count.

The Reaction Count is the result of the highest Join Battle action of the people starting the fight, and is used to determine the order in which everyone takes their first action. Which is cool. The unusual thing is that the Reaction Count sticks around in case anyone else shows up and wants to join in - They roll Join Battle and comapare it to the Reaction Count.

I'm not quite sure what this represents, especially in 'degenerative' cases, like, well, the narative given here: The fight starts with a couple of mortals, who set the Reaction Count at 5. And then every exalt that shows up gets to act instantly because they have way cooler Join Battle actions. Where as if there'd been an Exalt at the start of the conflict, Exalts showing up later might have had to wait a tick or two.

The Reaction Count doesn't seem to *mean* anything, in real world terms.

Yeah, I must admit, after reading that whole thing a few nights back, I was wondering why they bothered with the damn thing. But I guess, it's just something to balance the books.

Well, you've got to have some mechanism for determining when newcomers get to act.

Personally, I'd have the reaction count revised upwards everytime a new comer entered the fray and rolled higher than the existing one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back