Forged Paths (A Song of Ice and Fire)

pythor229

Title: Forged Paths
System: A Song of Ice and Fire
Player Count: 4-8, depending on interest, further explanation below

Westeros has had a storied history, with a multitude of important events shaping how life was lived countless times. From the age of the First Men and the Children of The Forest, to the Long Night and the creation of the Wall, to the Andal invasion and then the Age of Dragons. The most recent event, one that still sits in the minds of everyone in the realm, is the War of The Usurper, the war that saw the fall of the house Targaryen and the rise of king Robert Baratheon to the Iron Throne.

Today, fifteen years after the War of the Usurper, nine years after Greyjoy's Rebellion, and two hundred and ninety-eight years after Aegon's Landing on Westeros, the Seven Kingdoms appear to be at peace. Outwardly, all seems well. Yet there are rumblings of greater things to come. Tales, often exaggerated in the telling, come from distant lands, speaking of troubling events and frightening portents. The long summer is coming to an end, and with it, say the maesters, will come a winter of memorable length and ferocity. In the North, there are rumors of giants and even darker suggestions that the Others are stirring once again, served by the icy-fleshed walking dead. Across the narrow sea, it is whispered the lost prince Viserys builds an army of ferocious barbarians, intending to sail back to King's Landing and take the Iron Throne by force. Soothsayers and priests of all faiths claim that summer is at last ending. How the coming winter will affect the Seven Kingdoms is anyone's guess, but the pieces appear to be in place for a bloody endgame that might once more bring ruing to the war-weary land of Westeros.

But that time won't come for another year or so, Westeros will see peace for at least a little longer. This is where your story comes to light, where you rise out of your otherwise overlooked station and make something of yourself and/or your house. Whatever decisions you make will influence the events to come, for better or worse, and perhaps with some work your name will be known to many in the realm, though maybe not for the reasons you initially intended.

Additional Information: Much like the scope of the books or the show itself, this game can have a big scope as well. The basic creation process has 3-5 people make a new house wherever they want, then create characters to populate that house, such as a lord, lady, heir, maester, knight, squire, and so on. While being a maester might not sound as exciting as being a knight, each role has it's own strengths and weaknesses. A combat focused character will have little ability to navigate a complex conversation, just as someone who excels at talking to people might not be the best in combat. Each role serves a purpose. Your actions will grant you experience to develop your character, but can also grant you benefits that would develop your house to be bigger, better, and more prominent. This system not only has a combat system, but also an intrigue system and a warfare system for the other aspects that are seen in GoT. You can actually wage large scale war against another house and possibly win, changing events dramatically for the story.

You don't have to tie yourself down to a noble house though, not if you don't want to. While it is considered the "main" way to play with the system, it's not the only way. You can play as a wandering knight, a sellsword, and there's even a whole supplement book for being in the Night's Watch or part of the Free Folk (Wildlings). Because of all these options, the game doesn't have to be limited to whoever can fill the noble house portion of the game. A few people can create a house, while others can wander the lands, take part in duties in the Night's Watch, or be a part of a Wildling tribe that wants to get past the wall and into Westeros proper in order to escape the coming winter. Essos and all settlements there are also options for people who are interested. While everyone may be apart from each other, that doesn't make what they do unimportant. Something that one person accomplishes can have ripple effects on everyone else and their stories, and vice versa. Who's to say the wandering sellsword won't meet up with the noble house at some point and join their cause as well? Much like in the actual series itself, everyone's story is important in some way, and they may or may not cross paths at some point during their journeys.

Many depraved things happen in Westeros, both violent and sexual in nature, but I will be glossing over/not really mentioning the harder stuff so as to not offend anyone or go against the rules of the server. Some of those events are integral to the story of the show or books, but I will not be shining a light on them. That said, the world will still be dark and very mature, so plan accordingly, and be an adult about it.

I would ask that for this game you suspend your knowledge of everything that happens in the show or books. We as people might know the futures of certain characters like Eddard, Stannis, or Joffrey, but your characters most likely don't. Meta knowledge is very dangerous for this type of game, where gunning for or saying something to a specific character can change the story drastically, so just take measures to not have your choices influenced by stuff your character wouldn't have any knowledge of.

One last important detail to note is that like in the show or books death can happen, even to important people. You will of course be less susceptible to death than some peasant, but it is a possibility. If your character dies you will be allowed to make another character to replace them. Remember that death isn't always a bad thing as well, many things were put into motion, some of them leading to good things in the end, because of a character's untimely demise.

Main Book:
Night's Watch & Free Folk:
P.S: This is my first time running the system, and I am still relatively new to DMing in the grand scheme of things. I just ask that you would bear with me and ask questions if you are confused about some aspects about the game, as I sometimes forget to fully lay out the details that some people are looking for. I'm still learning and I'm trying to get better and better at orchestrating fun experiences for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread