• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Forever Something New: An FMA Story

"Nowhere! Everywhere! I don't think I've stayed in any one town for more than a month. It's revolutionary really," she was joking a bit but it wasn't really an exaggeration, "met so many great people out there, constantly finding new things to do. I mean... The car thing even. It was mostly because of Bonnibelle, but I met this really nice man that used to work in some factories but retired not to long ago. He taught me a lot about how to make cars and how they run. I'm not sure if 100% get it," she admitted, "but I can make some repairs if I need too. All I had to do was help repair some old roads with some pretty basic alchemy. It took a long time, but easy work ultimately."

Claudio was hardly surprised when she told him she'd been living as a drifting vagabond for the past few years. That free and easy life devoid of unnecessary entanglements suited her. "Sounds invigorating. Don't know if I'd be able to handle that much change that often..." He said with a soft laugh, though he couldn't deny that living a life without the constraints and expectations that came with a job like his sounded like a refreshing change of pace. He started munching on a few fries once they'd been brought over to their table, the man's condiment preferences lying with peanut sauce.

Almeda shrugged, "I suppose it's not for everyone, but I couldn't imagine doing anything different. I don't know where I am or where I'm headed but I'm always learning something new. I came here actually because of the university, a nice young woman from a town or two over mentioned it. Sounded like it was worth checking out. I spent the last year in a lot of smaller towns, I thought I was due for a break. Certainly glad I did."
She certainly didn't expect to met an old friend in this city, but it was more than welcome. New people were always excited, but for once it was kind of nice to just catch up with someone she knew. Well, someone who wasn't nagging her every other sentence.

"I'm glad you decided to visit town too, Almeda. It's good being able to catch up with you again." He responded, looking like he was about to start talking again before his hungry gaze fell upon the food that he'd ordered. Though usually one for decorum in public places, Claudio couldn't help himself, and as such was busy talking with his mouth full.

"How's your alchemy research been going?" He asked curiously, feeling a little embarrassed that most of their reunion had been spent solely discussing his own project. Almeda and her alchemy were always quite unorthodox from what he remembered when they were teenagers, and he couldn't help but imagine that the same was true even as an adult. He himself was quite stuck in his sedentary, risk-averse ways, after all.

"I'm not sure anyone would call it research," the only thing that could slow down the speed at which she spoke was the fries that so tempted her. Though she was not nearly as starved as Claudio, "I just..." she shrugged, "do what others are doing, if I can. If not at least try to understand it conceptually."
As she thought a cricked grin cracked onto her face, "though, the other day, I was running my car and intentionally tried to damage it while it was moving, so I could repair it as it was going nearly top speed."

His expression almost instantaneously changed to one of wide-eyed awe, her description of her alchemy training genuinely stunning the man. "Damn, you don't play around at all, do you? Though I guess there isn't really a safer way to test your alchemy under pressure like that..." Some things never changed, from the looks of it. He couldn't help but think that maybe a daredevil and free spirit like Almeda would give him the necessary push to take some research leave and with that, a break from work.

"Pffft, I wore a helmet! I did it on the roads I just fixed with no one else around, as safe as it gets!" Almeda knew it was dangerous, but she was right she at least made sure to keep others safe in her stupid endeavours. Besides life should be dangerous, at least she thought as much.
"I was having some problems understanding the finer points of how the engine worked, that definitely helped, the whiplash I ended up getting was hell, but I'm fine now."

Once he'd finished scarfing down his lunch, he finally cracked up with the laughter that had been building up since she uttered the words 'while it was moving'. "You truly are a braver soul than I. Certainly sounds exciting, injuries aside." He said before sipping on his ice water, part of the glass having been converted to a drinking straw with a little light alchemy.

"Speaking of excitement, when do you want to hit the road?" He asked, crushing a chunk of ice with his molars after he had spoken. They would only be gone for a week at most, so his employer wouldn't mind his absence that much, and he was eager to get out of town for a few days to finally relax. He was by no means prepared to take an extended leave of absence yet.

"I could literally leave right this minute, though I assume you have some things you need to wrap up?" sure she only just got there, but it's not like she had any specific plans for what she wanted to do. Plus they would probably be right back here soon enough. It shouldn't be too long of a trip.
"I mean tomorrow morning might be more realistic of a time to head out, but hey up to you," she added.

"Yeah. I have to tell Corina that she's got the week off and pack my things first, but tomorrow seems as good a day as any." He said with eagerness as he placed a bill and a few coins on the counter before rising to his feet. His apartment was full of bustling foliage that he'd grown an appreciation for cultivating, and whenever he was away on a trip, mostly business and very rarely pleasure, he'd pay Corina to take care of them.

"Do you have a place to stay tonight? My apartment's open if you need it." He offered as the two started heading for the door. The least he could do for his friend who'd be driving them back home was eliminate the need for hotel room expenses.

"Well I was just going to stay at the hotel, but if it's no bother to you," Almeda practically bounced up to her feet. Following him out of the restaurant, "though I really don't mind either way," she assured. He did offer without prompting, but she still would rather not bother him if possible.

Claudio eventually gave into her not wanting to impose on him, figuring that it might be best for them to take some time to rest up alone before spending the entirety of a long road trip together. He spent the rest of his afternoon and evening taking care of what he needed to do, and once he'd gotten his suitcase and messenger bag packed with clothes and alchemy materials, he headed to bed for an early night's sleep. He was excited to finally get out of town for a change, even if only for a week or so at most.

The night before Claudio mentioned where his apartment was at, so that morning Almeda woke early cleaned out her car and waited outside his apartment complex for him. It had been some time since she was specifically travelling with someone, trains notwithstanding, so she rather excited to get on the road with him. Even if it meant going home earlier than anticipated and having to endure the inevitable long-winded and ultimately pointless ranting. It would be torture in the moment, but... It would be worth it. Probably.

The beams of light peeking through the blinds of his bedroom window were more than enough to wake him up the next morning. He moved quickly to take a shower, get dressed, and prepare a pair of peanut butter and pear jam sandwiches before stomping downstairs with his luggage. When he finally burst through the front door of his apartment complex and out onto the city streets he looked rejuvenated and excited (not being sleep deprived will do that to you), not to mention his unwrinkled clothing. All he had to do now was locate where Almeda was parked.

"Ay!" Almeda shouted out her car window once she spotted Claudio leaving his apartment, he was looking about for her. Though she was just acrossed the street. Perhaps he still needed a bit of sleep? She just sat there with a big grin on her face as she watched him cross the street to met her at the car. She got out before he was all the way over, open a door to the back so he could stow his luggage.
"How are you feeling?"

He delicately placed his luggage in the back of her car once he had arrived, an eager grin on his face as he did so. "Honestly, incredible. I haven't felt this stress-free in weeks." He said with a soft chuckle, his words by no means even remotely dishonest. He was really excited to get on the road. "How about you? Still dreading saying 'hello' to your folks?" He joked as he climbed in on the passenger side and got comfortable.

"Oh absolutely! But, they'll be happy to see me again, so it should be good, right?" all she could do was shrug it off as she got into the car, "I love visiting, I don't know if I like it. I don't know if that makes any sense. But I'm sticking with it."
She quickly started up the car and as fast as permissible left the city, excited for more... Open road areas. Almost wanting to show off.

"I think I understand what you mean. You love getting to see them after a while, but aren't too keen on what happens once you're there." He postulated, knowing full well that his interpretation could be wrong. As she made her way through the city streets, he took a few moments to check the contents of his alchemy bag, making certain especially that his transmutation gauntlets were inside. The world was a bit too dangerous to be caught unarmed.

Claudio had a gut feeling that his ability to relax in the car was nearing its end as she passed by the city limits sign, and all he could do was brace himself for her to slam on the gas.

"You ready?" it was more of a warning than anything as her grip tightened on the wheel and a smile spread across her entire face. Of course... She couldn't drive at max speed for the whole ride. And as fun as that sounds in theory, she didn't want to do that. Still, for a good while, it would be fun to do. Plus this stretch of road was really straight. It was built for Almeda and her wreckless daredevil speeds.

"As ready as I can be." He said with a somewhat nervous chuckle as he held on firmly to whatever he could find nearby. His gauntlets were on his hands preemptively, in case he needed to bind himself to the car with his alchemy or something like that. He figured once he got over the initial terror of speeding down the countryside, he'd grow desensitized to it. Until then, though, he'd have to weather the proverbial storm created by his overly-enthusiastic, hyper-energized friend.

Last edited:
For a moment she seemed to almost slow the car, but just for a moment as they seemed to lurge forward. Almeda literally flooring it as she slammed on her gas pedal. With the windows half down there was nothing but the sound of wind and the bumps on the road. Though paved they further they got from his city the less maintained it appeared to be. It wouldn't be another hour or more until the next decently sized down. Maybe less if Almeda could keep this speed. Thankfully for Claudio she didn't have the gas for that.

After a hard and high bump Almeda finally gave the car, and perhaps more so Claudio, a break. Letting the car slow down naturally as she laughed at her own stupidity.

When the car finally crept to a stop, Claudio could finally breathe normally for the first time since they left the city. That being said, though, he couldn't lie that the experience wasn't at least a little fun. Once the car had slowed down to a more reasonable speed, he took the opportunity to put his now-messy hair back up in a much neater fashion, and he chatted with Almeda as he did so.

"That was... exhilarating... I don't think I loved it, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever experienced..." He said with a dry chuckle as he adjusted his crooked glasses. Once he'd done so, his eyes turned to the surrounding area, curious as to where they'd ended up

"It's a lot more fun when you're the one at the wheel, maybe you could give it a go sometime," she offered, still a bit giggly. Though she figured he probably wasn't all that interested. Still the offer was genuine, if she was wrong in her assumptions.
"I have gotten it to go faster before, going down hill... Admittedly that almost ended in a crash, might not want to try that again. But it's all for science!"
The road was still straight and would be for some time longer so she couldn't help but gaze out to the soft rolling hills. Lush with grass and shrubs and a lot of rocks. It was nice if a bit repetitive. Almeda preferred forests to hills, but there was still a beauty to it.

"I might take you up on that offer once we park somewhere." The idea of piloting the car down such a steep slope was dizzying to him, and he imagined the G-forces would rip his head from the rest of his body if he tried. Nonetheless, the prospect of driving a little more reasonably at a reduced speed definitely sounded enjoyable.

"Hey, do you want to go check out that town over there?" He asked as he pointed out his window at a settlement a mile or two down the road. The houses were made of stone and lumber, and sprawling wheat farmlands stretched out far into the distance beyond the treeline. Towns like these were always in need of some kind of assistance or another, and he figured it would be just as good an opportunity as any to demonstrate the efficacy of his research.

"Certainly!" she wasn't gonna pass up the opportunity to postpone the inevitable. Besides, she'd actually wanted to stop by before so now was a really good time to do so.

They got to the town rather quick, and just in time for lunch too. This place was rather well built for a farming town. At least considering the lack of trees in the area, they must be doing pretty good for themselves. Almeda parked somewhat at the edge of town. There was room for cars on the road, but during this time of day it seemed mostly filled with people going about their days. If they were going to stop here, might as well take this part on foot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back