• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fleeting Dream

OOC
Here

Relias_

Rose tea tastes good sometimes
Roleplay Type(s)
There was once a bedridden boy, no more at the age of seven, his pale complexion is one that could be seen if one were to drain all the blood in their body, his arms looked as though they could break if you ever try to hold them, nothing but bones covered in skin. His skinny body looked no different. His cedar colored hair was just the right length to brush past his shoulder, a white towel was placed onto his forehead. One could have easily mistaken him as a dried corpse if not for the shallow rise and fall of his chest, the rest of his body remained motionless as he lay under the cover of his futon in a small empty dark room.

It wasn't a while later that the boy suddenly rolled onto his side, his whole body began to convulse, the damp towel that was on his forehead fell onto the tatami floor as the boy pressed his hand on his mouth as he coughed violently. His free hand gripping at his chest, each cough became louder and louder, until something akin to the sound of water splashing could be heard. The color red drips from the hand that was on his mouth as the cough began to subside and his body became still once again.

"I'm home." A male's voice could be heard coming from the front door, followed by faint footsteps leading to the room where the frail boy is at. The door slide open, a teenager with long raven hair pulled back into a ponytail style, clad in dark blue kimono stepped into the room. Holding a package in his right hand. "I run into uncle Jiso--.." The teen paused, his emerald colored hues widened and the package fell with a thud as it hits the floor. "Kei?!" He exclaimed, kneeling beside the boy and cradling him in his arms. "Kei..."

The teen took the damp towel and used it to wipe the blood off the youngster's face and hand. A pained expression crossed his face as he tucked the boy back into his futon. He looks so peaceful when he's asleep... But his complexion, his condition... it looked as though his breath could stop at any moment... "You're still so young. The gods are cruel... aren't they.." His fingers brushed feather light against the boy's cheek. "On my way back... I heard from the townspeople that a new mage is in town, they said that he's quite famous..."

OOC: [Just adding this here that this can be yaoi or straight. I mostlydoyaoithough -cough-]

~Present time~
4298f869a3104478f7bcf3ecd40cacda.png

~Starter~

It has been fourteen years. Fourteen years since he was able to stand on his own two feet. Feeling the warm sunlight against his skin without it feeling as though had been thrown into fire instead. Being able to watch the snow fall for the first time and being able to touch it as well as being the first person who leave his footprints in the snow that covered their yard in the morning. Being able to spend his time outside, under the blooming cherry blossom in spring. Rather than just sitting in his room, wasting away in his bed... back then, he hadn't gone a day without coughing. Now, it seems that his illness had disappear completely. He didn't want to question it. Afraid that, if he knew what caused it to simply disappear. This body of his will be taken away.

A figure was standing under the cherry blossom, the petals falling around him as the spring wind blew past. The figure, no taller than 5'7 was clad in black kimono, his cedar colored hair covering the right side of his face and tied down into a loose ponytail behind him. His right hand resting on the handle of his katana on his right waist, held by his white sash as his left hand reached out, catching some of the petals that fell down. His amber colored hues focused on the cherry blossom trees, his gaze was soft and a smile danced upon his lips. The sound of flowing river nearby made him feel at ease, even moreso than usual.

But then his expression changed to one might see as annoyance. He looked over his shoulder, at the rustling of bush not far behind him. A group of three men began to surround him. "Yamazaki Keisuke from the Shinsengumi?" One of the men asked, although it was clear that they already knew who he is. He decides to play along. "What do you need of me?" Keisuke asked, he had not yet moved from where he stood, although his hands had dropped to his sides. His amber eyes now lazily scanning the formation they had surround him in. He could see them looking at each other. Determination and rage in their eyes.

"Your head!" One of them declared, drawing their swords from their scabbards and charged in for simultaneous attack---

The cherry blossom were painted red that spring morning. A choking sound of metal slicing into flesh and a choked gurgle is what last heard of the man who had declared the first attack and also the last one to go down. With a katana piercing straight through his chest. More blood splattered as Keisuke pulls out his sword and the man fell limp onto the ground with a thud, joining the rest of his so called friends. During the fight, they declared that they would avenge their leader, whom Keisuke had killed. And they were enraged when Keisuke said that he didn't remember who the guy was.

Last edited:
images.jpeg

Ayodele Mori

It'd been too many nights without the warmth of her family beside her, too many hours spent wondering if the decision they agreed on was the right one, but it wasn't like she could change it now. Instead, she merely looked across the field she walked, her horse beside her, all her belongs strapped to it, as well as some items she's come to collect to trade and sell. Just like any nomadic person would do. She merely pushed her hair back, slightly annoyed that the dark locks fell from the braid she had put it in, her fingers petting her stallions hair as they walked. "We're almost there Haku, you can rest when we get to Daisuke. He'll have a trot of vegetables and other delicious treats just for his brave boy." The black male neighed in response, seemingly pleased along that they could rest soon, even though when he looked at his owner she could see that he would continue on longer if he really had to. Though, he was content as long as she were happy.

With each step, they grew closer to Kyoto, a city Ayodele and her family once passed through from time to time for various reasons. But now, now she was coming for refuge. And to give word to the Shinsengumi of the latest attack on the villages nearby, to at least enlist some help and secure her own ties with both the family of samurai and the villages themselves. Though, her only mission at hand was getting to her brother.

Her dark gaze drifted to her simple kimono, a black and white style, with a green ribbon around her waist, holding the short bladed katana of hers to the left side of her waist. It was for more style than safety, at least if she were asked that's what she said, but being a nomad for half a decade she realized quick that not many asked what they didn't need to know, and those who did were promptly mortified with whatever sorry details she decided to conjure, all lies with the truth sprinkled in where convenient. The woman just smiled to herself as she walked, breathing the fresh air, unaware that it was tainted by the blood of unworthy foe, yet even though her gaze was thoughtful and wistful, she watched her surroundings carefully. Just because she was close to the city, did not mean she was any less vulnerable to getting attacked and robbed.

She stopped for a moment, a handle full of miles later, letting her horse rest a moment while she had a midmorning snack, since she didn't wish to burden her beloved brother with needing anything, considering every year around the same time she stopped in to see him for a few weeks in the spring. Then she'd be off on her own again, making a living any way she saw fit, be it contracted hires or selling merchandise in any town she passed through in, though lately it was more hires than she expected. Especially since she was supposed to be laying low, or well she thought that's what the agreement had been, especially since they had realized one of the contracts she had been given back home was one she shouldn't have taken. Why? Because the death of a spy that shouldn't have had to die was the result. And not just any spy, but that of the Shinsengumi family, which was the reason she dropped off the radar the past five years, then only in her sixteenth year and the only female heir in her family. The minutes ticked by as she watched Haku graze, still loaded with her belongings since they weren't stopping long, they were just outside the city after all. She had to be at her brother's by midday to ensure she could still meet with the Shinsengumi family, though she was somewhat worried of who she would be meeting with. She knew of them, to an extent, and knew enough to know she shouldn't walk on their property dressed like she were more than a simple nomad selling perfumes and fragrances and handmade items, which was something of what she needed to present herself, unless they knew of her.

"Haku," She called to her horse, the stallion lifting his head from the grass before trotting to her side. She swung on to his back, holding the reigns in a loose grip before they continued the last few minutes to the city. The sight and smell would never cease to amaze her, since she grew up in a family outside on the countryside, blood old as the forest they lived inside. The woman smiled politely at another woman as she passed by, the elder giving a smile in return. "Such friendly people, Haku." She hummed, stroking the mane of her stallion. "Is that my dear sister I hear?" Ayodele stopped her horse as she turned her gaze behind her, eyes narrowed hntil they spotted the source of the familiar voice. Standing at a tall stature of 5'8", Daisuke towered over his 5'4" younger twin sister. He shared the same raven hair as her, as well as the same midnight black eyes, his jaw sporting a bit of scruff like he had decided not to shave. She cracked a smile before swinging off her horse, embrace her brother without care to what the city folk should say. "Come along, sister, we shall get you rest and tonight I will cook a feast." Ayodele merely grinned at her brother, nodding in agreement. "But first, we have other matters to attend to." She reminded him, eyes darting around them casually. "That we can discuss at home." The tone of her brother's was one she knew not to argue with, not that she was foolish enough to do so.

(Ooc: I apologise if it seems all over the place, my starter posts when not interacting with my rp partner are a bit lacking at times haha.)

The sight of soldiers in the famous Shinsengumi blues patrolling in groups of 2 or 4 along the streets of Kyoto had been a common sight and one that would make the citizens of the city to give way for them no matter how bustling the streets would be. It was either out fear of their well-known reputation in the battlefield or out of respect for their task of ensuring the streets of Kyoto is void of conflicts as well as detaining ronins who claimed to be a patriot when all they have done is anything but, demanding protection money and act as though they have been through countless wars. Even though Shinsengumi itself is a military unit made up of ronin, the purpose of which was to restore public order in Kyoto and counteract the anti-shogunate forces. They had been called a number of times to aid in the official wars of protecting their country. Of course, there were those who think of the Shinsengumi as nothing but peasants dreamed of becoming a samurai as anyone regardless of their background could join. Unlike most military unit where only those of the samurai lineage could be apart of.

Upon returning to the Yagi residence which currently act as the Shinsengumi's headquarters in Kyoto, Keisuke had been called by the Vice-Commander, Yamazaki Takeda, for a brief meeting, he and several other particular Captains of the Shinsengumi was told that they will be expecting a guest that will most likely visit them either today or tomorrow, so they must be on guard. When asked who it would be, the Vice-Commander merely reply that they will have to just wait. Then the meeting resume with exchanges of their reports of the nationalist ronins' movements and the state of the soldiers in their divisions.

After the meeting, Keisuke was asked to stay as the other Captains were leaving the room, in which he complies. Many of those in the Shinsengumi already knew of Keisuke and the Vice-Commander as siblings, but even so, they maintain professionality within the Shinsengumi compound. "Vice-Commander, is there something you need of me?" Keisuke asks after a moment of silence between the two of them. Keisuke's brother was taller than himself, roughly about 5'9, his raven colored hair pulled back into a ponytail behind him instead of the sideway loose ponytail style which Keisuke had and eyes those of lush green forest instead of the color of earthly amber gem. "Serizawa's remaining men had been acting suspicious. The reports I've received confirmed that they need to be visited and inspected thoroughly." An order for group annihilation was what Keisuke had been given.

"Understood." Keisuke did not question it, he knew that they will have to terminate those who try to raise against them. Serizawa Kamo was the former Commander of the Shinsengumi, however he had taken the wrong path and they had to make sure he was dealt with before it was too late, and they did. As of today, the remaining men who are loyal to Serizawa are trying revolt against the Shinsengumi and now, they had to be dealt with as swiftly as possible. It was up to Keisuke for this matter, as he was also the one who took down Serizawa under the order of Aizu's daimyo. After that, the Vice-Commander at the time took over Serizawa's role as the Shinsengumi's Commander before Takeda was elevated to being the current Vice-Commander.

No words were spoken, but Keisuke could see the look in his big brother's eyes that he apologized for always giving such job to Keisuke. Yet the younger of the two understand what needed to be done. It was a part of his job, . . .as the Shinsengumi's sword.

After a brief discussion on who she was to meet with, and that Daisuke would be with her, Ayodele bit her lip as she removed her katana and reluctantly handed it to her brother, the older of the two smiling lightly at her. "I will return it, you know this." He chuckled, attaching it to his other hip, before moving to undo the braid her hair was in, pinning her locks back in a half-up style with a green ribbon. Green was the color of their family, it was incorporated somewhere in all their outfits, and for the twins it was almost always around their waist to hold their kimonos together.

The girl smiled at her brother, but pleasantries would have to wait, they did have other matters to attend to. The minutes ticked back until they were finally outside the door leading to the room they were to meet with the Vice-Commander and the Captains of the Shinsengumi, the girl merely clearing her throat as they waited to be told they could enter. And when they did, the girl bowed in respects, allowing her brother to take the lead, since she wasn't exactly dressed like she normally would be. After all, they had their reasons to see her as an enemy, though she wished she could take it back. "Yamazaki-san, thank you for having me. I am Mori Daisuke, eldest to the Mori family. I have brought Ayodele to you, as requested." The male kept it short and to the point, not giving his sister any time to work up any.. unlikely scenarios. For a bit of background, Ayodele was not born with this name, no, this was the same she took when she left her family, though she wouldn't chose to return to her old name if she had the choice. It wasn't her anymore, no no, she was now Ayodele, someone who brought joy wherever she went, despite the deadly side to her.

At the end of her brother's miniature speech, the short girl gave another slight bow to him and the rest of the room, holding her head high as she looked across the room. Some of these men are old enough to be my father, and some are my age or a little older. She thought as she looked at them briefly. "I am grateful you agreed to see me." She began, letting her gaze settle on the Vice-Commander, taking note mentally that each of the men could kill her without batting an eye, especially since she was defenseless seeing as her brother carried her sword. "Travelling here, many villagers and officials have raised a few concerns to me, since I was on my way to the city. There has been various raids and attacks to the nearby towns, the villagers are afraid as they have no means to protect themselves, their families, and their livelihoods. They wished me to come before you, to seek council and inquire about assisting them with their troubles." She paused briefly, eyes traveling from him to look at the rest of the men, the gentle brown haired male catching her attention for a moment or two longer than she meant. His face looked familiar, she wondered in the back of her mind if she had crossed paths with him. You have been traveling your whole life, you have connected with many people. This man is just another face, nothing more, Ayo. She told herself as she continued on.

"I have seen the devastation myself, it will only get worse if nothing is done to stop it." She caught the twitch of her brother, a discreet tick that said she was pushing it too far for her current appearance. She had to remember to act like the merchant, not the soldier she was born as. She cleared her throat, feigning a small smile of embarrassment since it was as if she were getting ahead of herself. But she said no more, merely waiting for a response, be it good or bad. Just as long as nobody recognized her. She only hoped they wouldn't, it was risky enough requesting council with them, but for them to agree and her be unarmed... That was by far a risky move for her.

Last edited:
Upon the arrival of the siblings into the room and after listening to the young woman's reports of what she had seen during her way to Kyoto. Several Captains exchanges glances, no doubt that they have caught words of what she had seen before, this news is not new but it proves just how desperate the Choshu domain trying to revolt against the shogunate. But even this is out of line for the Choshu, were they planning to chip off several parts bit by bit until it took a toll on the domain's economy? That is unlike the Choshu at all, hiring ronin to do their dirty work and not even bothering to hide it. "I understand where you are getting at, our special division is already investigating the matter as we speak, however, this matter cannot be resolved just by sending our solders to guard the villagers." That would just be a temporary solution, incorrect. That would not even be a solution, if the attackers are willing to raid the same villages again and again. It would not be enough for the soldiers to simply fend them off, that could only be done so many times before a mistake could be made.

"We have to attack their base, or rather.. bases. It would be near impossible for them to be in that pattern if they simply have only one base." Keisuke spoke up, make it a permanent solution and a reminder for those who dare to try and do the same. "Once they have pin pointed the exact locations, it will be taken care of." If they send supplies to the villagers now, it will just be plundered by the attackers again, considering that they have no means of protecting themselves and no way of knowing just how many of the ronin that the Choshu had hired, if the Shinsengumi deploy their soldiers there without knowing the number of enemies, it would only put them in a bad position, not to mention unnecessary casualties. The special division should return tomorrow morning if nothing came up and the Shinsengumi would deploy their men the exact same day. But the two of them have no need to know the details.

"What do you think, Vice-Commander?" The amber eyed male turned to look at their Vice-Commander, in which Takeda's expression changes to somewhat of a mild amusement before he answer. "Why are you asking me that? Sannan-san made you hold the military strategist title for him while he is away for a reason, you know." It was a somewhat roundabout way to agree with someone and if they had heard it without the joking manner their Vice-Commander had said it they would assume that, that was the Vice-Commander's dismissal of the idea. However it was just how the two siblings communicate.

The Vice-Commander's emerald hues narrowed to one of the Captains, whose hand then quickly dropped away from his sword. The Shinsengumi are highly secretive military unit, they are willing to put duty above all else, even more so than other Units working under the shogun. If a member does anything that involves personal feelings that will not benefit the shogunate or the people they had been ordered to protect, they will not be tolerated. Several Captains recognized her, Takeda knew of her. Keisuke had been tasked on tracking her down after she dropped out of radar back then when he was still one of the Watch members, a trained group assigned to gather information. But the orders were quickly pulled back. As the death of the assigned spy needed to be kept secret as well. Much to the dismay of those who are close to the man. "The crisis should be solved in roughly three days and a extra two regarding the condition of the villagers."

Last edited:
Ayodele resisted the urge to wring her hands as she listened, eyes flickering between the men as they spoke with one another before addressing herself again. They recognize you. She thought somewhat annoyed and nervous all the same. She didn't know if they would attack, but she was hoping they wouldn't, especially with her being unarmed. Her dark gaze flickered to the golden haired man's hand on his side, eyeing how he rested it against the hilt of his katana, and for a moment she wished hers wasn't strapped to her brother's hip. She grew up training with it, it became second nature to have within arms reach. The raven haired girl cleared her throat.

"I'd offer my assistant," She said somewhat slowly, giving an easy smile despite the seriousness of the situation. "But I'm not exactly welcome by means farther than this." Her brother beside her let out a sigh through his nose, amused in the back of his mind and irritated all the same. Was she trying to provoke one of these men to attack? She wouldn't be infamous for it if she hadn't, having baited many men and women into their demise in various different ways.

Ayodele reached up, fiddling with a few strands of hair that fell in her face, tucking them behind her ear. She licked her lips, letting her gaze leave the blonde to fall on the raven haired man with the green eyes. If they recognized her, they knew her brother stood beside her, but they also knew she was not just some ordinary woman, obviously considering how the blonde put his hand on his sword as they conversed. "Please ignore that comment, she's been on her own for quite some time." Daisuke spoke beside his sister, sending her a side glance of irritation. Ayodele didn't say anything to him or even show she saw the look, she kept her gaze on the man that held the most power in the room. And the one beside him, the one she figured was a relative.

The man beside her eyes her carefully, quietly unless he needed to speak. His sister needed to redeem her name to these men herself, he couldn't do it for her. She took the mission, she took the kill, she wasn't allowed to return home until she fixed it. Or unless she decided she did not want to return. And watching her Converse with the men, he was somewhat worried that she wasn't looking to redeem herself, or at least that was what it seemed like. Ayodele was a mystery to him, as she always been. He'd never understand how such a skilled and well-thought of ninja could also double for a deadly assassin as she did.

Keisuke's amber eyes slowly scanning the men in the room, aside from the Vice-Commander, himself and a few other Captains, the others were showing too much discomfort in one particular individual. He suspect that they will not be allowed to participate in the upcoming mission, if one's mind is filled with doubt, they will only get in the way. All too often, doubt is a poison to one's mind and it will effect their division's performance in the battlefield.

"Well she's not wrong." Takeda replied, his voice laced with mild amusement of their current situation. However, when he spoke again, his voice cold as tempered steel. "But, if you wish to provide your assistance and be of use to the Shinsengumi in this particular mission. You must follow the orders of the Captain who you will be accompanying with. You jump when they say jump, and die when they say die. Are we clear?" He was well aware of her skill and her attempted -discreet- reputation. However, following one's command without hesitation is key factor for the Shinsengumi. The Choshu domain are acting up and they didn't know what they are plotting and yes, they are a threat but not as much as someone who will most likely jeopardize an entire operation because they cannot follow orders.

It was obvious that several Captains were not quite convinced in their Vice-Commander's agreement of letting her help with the mission, but they did not voice it out. Knowing full well what was to come if they question his reason. This woman had once been in their wanted list and that was enough for them to cut her down on the spot, no matter how skilled she or the man beside her is. This is still the Shinsengumi's headquarters and they were in a room filled with skilled swordsmen. Should they really be as skilled as rumors had claimed them to be, surely they must know that no matter how skilled a warrior is if the odds are against them there will be no chance of escaping.

"Then, Vice-Commander. Allow me to be the one keeping an eye out for her if she wishes to go." Keisuke spoke up. Calm and composed, he wasn't deterred nor was he affected by the girl's presence. Never once had he show any kind of reaction towards her ever since she stepped into the room despite being the first one to know who she is.

Ayodele lifted her chin slightly, listening to the dark haired man as he spoke, eyes traveling from face to face as she did. Some of these men looked nervous, but she knew they wouldn't question anything. She said nothing as she turned her gaze on the light haired male, letting an eyebrow raise. Babysitting. Of course. She thought, breathing evenly. What should she do?

Did she really want to do this? It might help her standing with them. On the other hand, it could just be a way for the male to take her out finally. Would she take this mission, hopefully restore her reputation with them, or would she decline and remain taking the odd jobs from low-paying thugs and stingy nobles? She licked her lips, feeling the gaze of her brother on her. She held up her hand to her twin, asking for her sword. "I believe," She said as she let her gaze travel to Takeda, giving him a nod. "That I can agree and uphold this arrangement until the mission is complete. As long as we agree, this is my payment for the life I unrightfully ended."

Her brother stiffened ever so slightly beside her, his hand resting on the hilt of her sword. If they agreed, he would give her her weapon, otherwise he would hold it until they returned home. If they even agreed. It was a long shot for her, to wish this be a trade of sorts. It was risky to believe they'd agree to use her services, which would be all she had, and to forgive the wrong she had unknowingly done.

There it is, the condition of the trades. To atone for the mistake she had done, without fully investigating the situation beforehand; Toriu Nobuo, one of the Shinsengumi's spies who was on duty behind the enemy lines, dies in her hand. And should they accept, she will help with the mission regarding stopping the repeated raids on the villages. Should they decline, she will have to find another way to redeem herself. The Shinsengumi would preferred it more if it was life for life. However they know it would work better for them to have another skilled person working with the Shinsengumi rather than against them. If she was able to prove her worth, she will be able to keep her life.

"We Shinsengumi never go back on our words, rest assured." Takeda allowed his emerald gaze linger on the young woman for a moment or two, before he adds; "Then you will be accompanying Keisuke. Is that all right, Kei?" Upon his name being mentioned, Keisuke nodded. "Understood." Before he bowed slightly to the twins. "Shinsengumi's seventh Division Captain. Yamazaki Keisuke, to prevent mistake from being made in the future please refer to me as Keisuke in the presence of the Vice-Commander. I will be looking forward to working with you. As long as you do not get in the path of our blade." People often have a hard time trying to figure out which of the siblings is the Vice-Commander, unless they have seen the siblings in person before. As the Vice-Commander's first name is rarely mentioned, and Keisuke has his cold straightforward nature so it was understandable when Keisuke introduced himself without the presence of his older brother, they'd think that he was the Vice-Commander, unless he state first that his position is one of the Captains. Takeda finds the situation amusing when it happens.

"That will be all for today. As for tomorrow, I expect you to be here before the sun reach halfway above Kyoto. They will be leaving without you if you were to be late." The strategy meeting and formation will be held without her present, it was to ensure safety of their mission as she is not one of the Shinsengumi, she is only here to redeem herself and as an external help to aid the mission. Of course, she will be given information as Takeda sees fit and nothing more. "The both of you are dismissed." Then, almost like an afterthought, Takeda spoke again. "I'm only going to say this once: I don't care if you think nobody is listening when you're out there. Make sure the both of you don't mention what you've heard or seen here, not even to a corpse. Surely you understand the reason for this." The warning in his voice was final.

Last edited:
Ayodele was pleased in the back of her mind that they expected the trade, her help for a clean slate. She had been given orders within the contract to do no investigation on her target, expect for his habits, keeping her away from knowing his ties to the Shinsengumi thus resulting in her down fall. Aside from being shunned from her family until she could build her name once more, Ayodele had another mission unrelated to what she was about to do, and that was find the one who contacted her for the contract and put an end to his miserable life. She knew well she was also an assassin, the moral opposite of her title as a ninja in her family, and with most contracts, she was to do as told without question, but that didn't mean she had to take every contract. In her past five years alone, she wondered frequently why her father and mother even let such a contract into their home, let alone fall into their daughter's hands.

She bowed alongside her brother once the conversations were finished, her sword back on her hip where it belonged. "I will not make the mistake," She said to the dark haired man, having been stopped in their motion to leave. Her gaze shifted to the light haired man beside him, still adjusting mentally that he would be somewhat of a babysitter while on the mission and still ready to take her head if she so much as slipped up once. Yamazaki Keisuke. Pleasant name, though you might not be my savior. If anything, you might be my down fall. She thought as she watched him. "One is enough for a life time." She added, tearing her gaze from the man's amber eyes to look into the green orbs of the man beside him. Brothers, perhaps. Maybe cousins. I can't ask such details, though. She continued mentally to herself, giving another bow. "I will be at the gates well before dawn. I look forward to meeting with you again and righting my wrongdoings." And with that, her brother and her bowed once more before they disappeared through the door without trace or sound.

Outside the building, Daisuke did not hesitate to smack her upside the head, despite the eyes of others around them. He was the heir to their family, unless his sister was brought to good graces, and he was risking it by helping her. Their father did make the order nobody in the family was to help her no matter the rest. Ayodele only ground her teeth at the force of the blow, rubbing the back of her head. She might have deserved it anyways. But when she looked at her brother for his explanation, he only glared at her before telling her to come with him, since they had to pack her belongings again and make sure her weapons were sharp and ready for battle. Should a battle break out, no matter by whom or with. And she needed to make sure her outfit beneath the simple kimono she wore was in good shape, a simple form fitting top adorning a green dragon on her left forearm and a pair of tights with a skirt around her hips, something she could lose if she didn't want the hassle of it. As well as a face mask around her neck, something that seemed to be a bit of a scarf when she was wearing her kimono over top of the other outfit.

(Ooc: sorry if it's short, I'm not really awake)

The evening sun had halfway set on the horizon, illuminating Kyoto in it's gentle autumn color mixed with the profusely blooming cherry blossom. In the Shinsengumi compound, in the courtyard of his room. Keisuke watches as the petals scatter in the wind. His amber hues then shifts up to the sky, the ominous clouds hanging low and the dark color of the spring sky in contrast of the bright color provided by the sun. Spring rain aren't common, but it seems that it will most likely happen tomorrow should the wind blew in their direction for a while longer. Keisuke wrapped his fingers around the hilt of his Katana, drawing it out from it's scabbard on his right hip in one swift motion. While others often wore their weapon on the left side, Keisuke wore his on his right and draw with his left hand. Unorthodox swordsmanship, most people would call it that. A flash of silver reflected under the setting sun's ray and a stir in the draft of falling petals.

It was around the third division of the hour of the ox, approximately two thirty in the morning, that the Shinsengumi's special division returned, bringing reports of the enemies movements and sites. The Shinsengumi's leaderships were called to the meeting room that same hour. Several selected divisions were deployed early as to reach their destination on time. Reinforcements will be send according to how the situation turns out. The headquarters were as busy as a beehive with the remaining Shinsengumi's soldiers and officers clad in their uniform readying themselves.

The Choshu ronin had set up their sites in a good position for them to attack Kyoto in different directions at the same time if they so wished, it seems that the raids on the villages were only to cover their true movements. "What about that girl, is she here?" The Vice-Commander asked once he had the time to say something that is not an order for the Captains.
"The soldiers will bring her here once she arrives at the gate."

"Sen has sent word to the Aizu and Judiciary Commissioner, but there are still no reply from them." Keisuke spoke up and the Vice-Commander frowned. Those bastards. Now of all times?! Kyoto is in the risk of being attacked and the Shinsengumi alone do not have enough forces to both deploy to the enemy camps and defend Kyoto if an attack were to happen.

Last edited:
Ayodele simply left her brothers home without warning almost three hours before dawn, taking to the gate of the building being used as the Shinsengumi headquarters just an two hours before the first light, almost three in the morning now. She followed the soldiers as they led her through the building, giving a bow when she was allowed into the room. "I assume that things have gotten worse?" She raised an eyebrow as she studied the tense postures around the room. Her hand rested on the hilt of her sword, which so happened to be on her right side as most wore did. Mostly because majority of the population was right handed. She let her gaze travel across the room, fingers adjusting the kimono she wore, though she didn't need it anymore. She watched the closely, eyes narrow and hard, her body almost eager for the events to come. She had predicted and forewarned the events, at least that it would get nasty fast, and now it had. That didn't make her look any better. But she had no ties to the group trying to fight for power, she wanted to redeem her name again, since her fall she was only given contracts of those lowly nobles that had nobody to do their work. She licked her lips, her dark hair tied behind her in a simple braid, her dark eyes seemingly twinkling as she waited for orders. Oh, yes, she knew how to take orders, she just wasn't fond of it.

(Sorry this sucked :( somewhat distracted)

"We are waiting for the Aizu and Judiciary Commissioner reply, but so far it seems that they are only going to sit on their hands." Keisuke replies since he was the only one available to give her an answer as the other officials went about their duty. "We've found a way around their force and set up an ambush, however they too is in a good position to attack Kyoto if we were to deploy our men to their camps." His amber hues narrowed, his voice was just enough for him and the girl to hear, the Choshu had got them in a tight spot. But they can't just twiddle their thumbs and wait for the Aizu to reply. The Shinsengumi has the element of surprise, but not for long if this keeps up. "Their Commander must be clever."

As soon as the last sentence were out from Keisuke's mouth. A figure clad in black ninja outfit swiftly enters the room. The long black scarf that he wore around his neck reached just above his knee, wearing facemask and a headguard which looked like a sword once strike at it at an attempt to take him down, but clearly that person fail and only able to leave the strike mark. The figure was no taller than 5'5, his lead colored hair were cut short, only reaching the nape of his neck.His cold wine colored eyes slid over to the girl in the room for a moment as soon as he noticed her and they narrowed at her presence but he quickly focused to the Vice-Commander. He brought his hand to his chest, pressing his palm against it as he dropped to one knee, head bowed. "Vice-Commander! I've located the Choshu's Commander. He is at their third camp, also, it seemed that they are getting ready to launch an attack. What is your order, Vice-Commander?"

Takeda's expression shifts to something akin to satisfaction in regard to the news he had just received. Despite their current situation, there are still ways to turn the tide. "An attack, huh. We can't let that happen now, do we?" The steel in his voice were obvious. Turning to give orders to the remaining Captains to move out with their Divisions. "The second, fifth and seventh Division will be deployed to the third enemy base. Find their Commander and see how clever he is with a sword in his gut." Then, he turned to the ninja again, who hadn't move from his position. "Toriu. Go with Keisuke. The Colonel will be in charge of this headquarter." His verdant eyes narrowed. "Your Vice-Commander needs to go have a word with a bunch of useless bastards."

With that order, the current meeting was over. It was time for them to act. "Let's go." Keisuke ordered to the girl as he rush out of the room with the rest of the assigned Captains. They will be taking on the main enemy camp which was located west of Kyoto but they will be able to arrive there before the sun completely rise, the thick morning fog within the forest area there will be used to their advantage.

Last edited:
The woman listened quietly and calmly, fingers fiddling with the hem of her top, waiting for when they got outside to properly dispose of the outfit. "And the fun begins," She commented as she watched orders be given and she followed after the light brown haired man when he ordered her to follow. They would certainly have their hands full, not that she minded at all. Her fingers pulled her face mask up as they left the building, her kimono finding itself hidden in the shrubbery near the building to reveal the black tights and skirt on her waist, a pack on her right thigh which held her kunai and shuriken, a green short sleeved dress that fanned covered her front and rear. The symbol of her family crest tattooed on her arm, underneath her sleeve, just barely poking out her clothing. Her dark gaze glanced at the man she was following, wondering to herself just how skilled he was to be a Captain at such a young age.

(Sorry, not a lot of muse.)

The assigned Divisions were able to get to their position around the fourth division of the hour of the tiger approximately between four thirty to five AM. The fog had yet to dissipates, allowing the Shinsengumi's soldiers to march closer to the enemy camp. The spring sky looked bleak and the wind were also picking up. Keisuke pulled his white scarf tighter around his neck, amber eyes narrowing at the dark clouds hanging low with the promise of rain.

"I do not care how you fight or if you die, however. This is a battlefield and needs to be taken seriously. 'Fun' is out of the question." But that is not all, he know that there will be casualties from their divisions. Thinking that going to a battlefield is like going to a playground, Keisuke fails to see the same sight that she sees. For him, this is his duty. That is all.

With a gunshot signal from the second Division, Keisuke turned away from the girl to give orders and formation to his men. Within seconds the once quiet atmosphere of the forest explodes with the yells of men and the clang of swords. the wet thud of bodies falling on the forest floor, the Choshu ronins scrambling for position. With a single blow of his sword, Keisuke dispatched one of the enemy soldiers a clean cut across the soldier's neck, his pace barely slowing. "We are the Roshi squad, under the General Aizu. Shinsengumi! We act with the authority of the government! Resist, and you will be shown no mercy!" The steel in his voice is one that shouldn't be disobeyed.

"You bastards are nothing but the Wolves of Mibu--!"

The owner of the sentence falls with a thud onto the forest floor, covering the grass under him with the color of his own blood. Keisuke barely bats an eye at the man as he clashes swords with the enemy soldiers surrounding him. It didn't last long before they too, paints the forest floor red. Breaking through the enemy lines, Keisuke turns to the main focus of his duty. Take down the enemy Commander. "We needn't hold back. Kill any who resist!" He ordered, the tip of his sword pierced a ronin's throat. His strikes were quick, and precise--almost surgical. Every time he moved, his sword pierced the heart of the enemy ronin, while those who wore steel plates were sliced across the neck.

His style revolves around a single decisive blow, not lengthy fencing matches and thus Keisuke avoid clashing swords more than he needs, if he did, it was to only deflect the enemy sword away from him. At times, not too often, he would also re-sheathe his katana before striking an enemy, which was quite odd considering one probably does not have the time to sheathe and re-sheathe their weapon in the battlefield, yet Keisuke, despite being strongly left handed managed to do just so and his pace is as swift as ever.

Ayodele only smiled behind her mask, something she knew her couldn't see, as she dispersed from his side, drawing her sword. Her footsteps were silent as she went, sword drawn with an effective and silent movement. It was as if she wasn't even there, especially as bodies began to drop in her wake. The girl returned to Keisuke's side, eyes scanning the area, her head turning ever so slightly before she pulled on a string connected to her fingers, the approaching enemy letting out a few strangled cries. A devilish gleam twinkled in her gaze at the sound before she looked at the man she was ordered to stay beside. She could get closer to the building if she weren't put on a leash, she could find the leader if she wasn't being watched, but what was better? Risk her redemption to complete the mission or risk completing the mission by not risking her redemption? She looked at the man again. "You clearly don't know my family." She understood that her family, while great and strong, wasn't exactly the group which showed face to the government very often. They only involved themselves in government issues when it threatened their family, and with talk of war coming the Mori family knew it was definitely something that they could be if use in, even if they weren't a military based family. And her skill on the field so far should have been enough to show that, even though she said "fun", she was viewing it as anythung but such. Well, to an extent.

"Nor do I mind not knowing." Keisuke retorts, his voice calm and composed even as he thrusts his sword into a ronin nearby. The chaos around him have no effect as of now, the sky began to cry. Keisuke shifts his amber hues to glance at the dark spring sky as it began to pour. Focusing back to the battlefield, Keisuke once again dispatch a few more solders with a swing of his katana. Drenched in blood, he clashed swords again, deflecting it to the side. "Mori-san. This is your order: "Find the Commander and eliminate him."" With that, Keisuke disperse from her side without a second to waste.

Dead soldiers of both the Choshu and Shinsengumi litters the battlefield, more often it was the Choshu ronins. Keisuke charge his way over the sandbag barrier and jumped over it, dispatching the gunmen behind it. A stray bullet flew at him, barely missing his right hand by a fraction of an inch. The wooden structure behind him began to crack. Keisuke's eyes widened by the sound, someone fired that bullet not to hit him, but to hit the structure behind him-- "Captain Yamazaki--!" He could barely register the voice before his body moves on it's own, out of the falling structure before it can collapse on him. Keisuke spun around, eyes narrowing to find who the culprit was.

However, deciding that it was probably just a stray bullet for now, Keisuke resume to push the enemy soldiers back, his Division were the front line. With the second and fifth Division surrounding the enemy camp. The slippery ground caused by the current pouring rain were not in anyone's favor, the blood flowing like rivers under their feet.

The girl didn't need to be told twice, leaving him without a word. She ran just as quietly as she walked, her eyes scanning the area as she did. Bodies continued to fall in her wake before she slipped unseen into the compound. She continued on just as cautiously, twirling her blade in her hand as she moved. Majority of the force was outside, but she knew better than to let her guard down just because she was inside. There was no telling if they planted any booby traps for anyone who managed to get inside.

A dagger of hers found the throat of one man and a trio of kunai found the chest of another. She continued deeper into the compound, dropping bodies when she could, finding herself face to face with Commander, swords crossed. She gritted her teeth behind her mask. He had known she was coming. How could he when nobody knew she was still working? It made her wonder how he even knew who she was. Then again, anyone with power knew of the famed Mori daughter and her fall from glory as a well respective assassin. They pushed hard against each other, a metallic stain covering the man shoulder. She had managed, at least, to hit him with a kunai before she entered the room when he spotted her. The girl rolled her shoulders before she parried his attack, one of her kunai finding itself in his abdomen. There was the faint reminder of her own sting of pain, somewhere on her arm, though she paid no need to the feeling. She had to complete this mission: she would complete this mission. But this man was playing with her just as much as she was playing with him.

Enough games, Ayo. Finish him. She could hear her brother scolding her as they pushed away again, she barely looking at the cut on her arm as she twirled the blades she carried, dark gaze narrowing as they ran at each other again, the man giving something similar to a war-cry whereas she remained silent.

Any bystander would describe their battle as something of a dance, though one was becoming more bloody as it dragged on. The thin metal string she fancied was causing a lot of damage, adding that to the sword of hers that she was ready to plunge in his chest, she was doing mighty fine. She was an assassin, but she was also trained as a ninja, though she was a better assassin. She knew enough to defend herself, but something she wasn't expecting, even as she disposed of the commander, was a handful of men surrounding her. She looked at them with narrowed eyes, pulling her sword from the chest of the man while taking another kunai into her left hand. She wasn't going to see her last days in this dingy building. She just wouldn't.

The longer the battle went on, the thicker the flow of blood became. Swords clashing and gunshots could be heard, while the Shinsengumi have members who can use a rifle and guns, the majority of them uses swords and spears. Adding the fact that western weapon are limited to the use of the military only. The Shinsengumi is on the winning side of this battle. Soon, reinforcements from Aizu and Judiciary Commissioner arrives. Takeda must've spoke with the higher up directly. Keisuke's Division rushed into the building, dispatching the remaining enemy soldiers inside the base.

Keisuke separate from his division after giving the necessary orders. His sword finds their way into the ronin who dares to even come close to him as he hasten his pace into the building. Bodies dropping behind him with a swing of his sword and red painted the floor and walls of the building, everything was dyed red, even himself. Drenched in blood and soaked because of the heavy rain outside.

The moment he caught up to the girl, his wakizashi found itself buried in one of the soldiers that was surrounding her. Charging forward, Keisuke drew his katana out of it's scabbard, a glint of silver reflected in the dull morning light and a choked gurgle of two of the men he is now in front of, blood spurts from their neck as they fell backward with a thud, unmoving. Keisuke's amber eyes slid over to the girl for a brief moment before his blade dove into another ronin's chest. Only looking away to pick up his wakizashi from one of the dead soldiers. Sliding the short sword back into it's scabbard. "Good job." He managed to say, voice calm as ever.

"The reinforcement from Aizu is here, this battle is over. If you surrender now--" Those words were meant for the remaining enemy soldiers, but Keisuke hadn't been given the time to finish it when they began to charge at him--. "So be it." If they wish to die here, he, at least can fulfill that wish. Their swords didn't clash, there was no sound of metal clashing against one another. Yet the spurt of blood were visible more than ever. Left handed Iai skill from a second to none. Is one to be feared. "Mori-san. Is your wound serious?"

The girl had managed to drop two of the six men that stood circling her before Keisuke showed his face, though she let him finish the rest seeing as he was already doing so. She panted lightly behind her mask. Her eyes fell to the cut on her arm, something she didn't take note of until then. "No," She responded to his question, shaking her head. "And even if it is, I will deal with it later." She used one of the rags she carried to cover the gash, tying the knot tight to at least cover the wound for now. Her gaze lifted to him again.

He was a skilled swordsman and a gifted samurai, she understood well why the Shinsengumi were feared and respected. She didn't say anything else as she used the cloth of one of the deceased to clean her sword before sheathing it once more, moving to retrieve her kunai from the dead bodies in the room. What she wanted to know was the next move. Did she just get sent back to her brother or did she get to speak with Yamazaki again? Or well, the elder of the brothers. Was she redeemed to them or not? Would this be the last time she saw this blonde man? The lay thought made her curious, why did she want to see the man again?

Wiping the blood off the blade of his katana, Keisuke slid it back into it's scabbard with a mental note in the back of his mind that he should clean it thoroughly when they returned and sharpen the blade as well. Keisuke made his way over to the dead body of the enemy Commander, inspecting his clothes and pulled out a letter hidden in the man's shirt. Keisuke's lips thinned as he read the context, folding it and tucking it into his haori. "Our duty here is done. The clean up will be left to the reinforc--" Pressing his hand against his mouth, Keisuke tries to stifle his cough, but it only bubbles up even more. The Captain fell to his knees, the continuous cough getting louder and more frequent. Keisuke doubled over, kneeling on the floor. Why? Why now? He asked himself, thankfully, the cough subsided but it leaves him panting for air to fill his lungs. A first sight for anyone if they see the Captain of the seventh division looking so.. tired?

There was no one else in the room but corpses of the enemy and the girl. She saw him like this. That... is not acceptable, perhaps. At least it wasn't anyone else from the Shinsengumi. After deeming that his body was well enough for him to move, Keisuke pushed himself up on his feet. "Don't mention what you have just see to anyone.." The steel in his voice was betrayed by the look in his eyes, those once sharp clear and cold earthly amber hues were now looked as though it had been glazed with dust, dull and fade.
"Let's go, the area outside should be taken care of already and we'll return to headquarters." He ordered.

Her pupils widened ever so slightly as she watched his fit become stronger, putting the man on his knees. It made her frown behind her mask. Is he sick? She wondered if the cool springs days affected him, or what it was that bothered his breathing. It had to be something serious of he had to take a knee... if his eyes looked so defeated when he looked back at her. But, she did nod in agreement to not telling anyone what he saw. It was the least she could do.

There woman turned on her heel and followed him out the compound, wondering to herself what could cause such a man to fall like he did. Was it always like that for him after a mission? Did he smoke and it cause his lungs more strain? Did he have a history of illness? If he did, how did he manage to become a samurai, let alone a well respected Captain of the Shinsengumi? She couldn't and wouldn't voice these questions, though, considering it was improper for her to pry and they did not know each other. And even then, it could be disrespectful since she was no friend nor relative to him, and she certainly wasn't his wife, so she couldn't ask such things. So she kept her questions to herself as they left, offering no other words as they walked.

Even though the raid felt short, it had been going on for more than a few hours. The sun had completely rose from it's slumber, hiding behind the dark clouds with the rain no longer present. The cherry blossom in the nearby area were dyed in crimson blood, soaked and floating in the puddle of blood. The Shinsengumi had suffered quite a number of loss with their men. But they had won this battle. Kyoto... is safe for another day.

Their return to the headquarter were celebrated rather warm, they were not overjoyed however. Fully knowing the number of men they had lost, including two of the Captains. The eighth and sixth Division Captain. The injured soldiers and officers were brought to another building to be treated, despite being covered in dirt and blood. Keisuke had not sustain any wound, he pointed to Mori when the medic began to ask him if he really is okay. "She's injured. So tend to her instead. I'm fine." He spoke and began to remove his bloodstained uniform, wiping his face with a clean damp towel that one of the medic had given him. The medic gave him a curt nod before turning to the girl and began to tend to her cut. He watches as several of their medics running back and forth to get the necessary supplies, tending to the injured.

He couldn't help but to wonder. Those people from Choshu domain, they are different than before. Usually their activities could be sniffed out by the Shinsengumi's special division the moment they start, but. Now it was harder. "Thank you for your hard work. Mori-san." He spoke, if they were to wait a little more longer, the enemy Commander would have easily made his escape. The fall of the enemy Commander had failed the Choshu's plan. And the raid on their camps also solves the villages situation. Those people must be happy, huh?

(OOC: Sorry if this suck, got distracted. x'D )

Last edited:
Ayodele was silent as she watched and listened to the commotion around her, lifting her sleeve to reveal the cut more, as well as the tattoo of hers. She didn't wince or hiss as the medic began to remove the cloth and tend to the gash. Her eyes turned to the man as he spoke to her, giving a nod in response. "I was glad to be of some assistance." She replied, using her free hand to scratch her jaw. Everyone else was covered in blood, and her? She was spotless. Except for her own wound, but spotless nonetheless. Why? Because she both hated getting dirty and her kills were usually quick and easy, and if they were bloody she wasn't around for it.

Her gaze travelled to the tree nearby, softening lightly at the sight. Such beauty shouldn't be tainted with such filth. She thought as she looked at the stains on the cherry blossom. Her eyes followed suit to look at the rest of the men around them, taking in the sight of their injured. They definitely had taken a lot of damage, even if they did win this battle. She wondered, as she did often, how this military would fare, how they would survive in a full on war. They lost quite a few good men in just this one, not that she really knew any of them, though any life that didn't need to be taken seemingly hurt her to know. A soft heart wasn't something an assassin should have.

"I guess the Shinsengumi wouldn't consider you their enemy as of now." But it was not like they will let their guard down. Despite everything. Keisuke's amber gaze shifts to the bleeding cherry blossoms in the compound. "Perhaps if Sannan-san was the one arranging the strategy for this battle..." The brunet whispered under his breath yet the rest of his words remained unspoken, what was he going to say anyway? If the man that he mentioned is the one being the strategist? Will they be able to avoid this number of casualties? In the back of his mind, he knew that wouldn't be the case. Lives are lost like the flow of stars, in a battle or war. The Shinsengumi is constantly being pushed to their limit, yet they still stand. That will never change. As long as the cherry blossom continues to bloom in the arrival of the springs in the future.

Keisuke was close to the other Captains, they were like big brothers and fathers for him. While his comrades were like siblings. From the eyes of someone who only see their victory, they could only see their loss as soldiers who had fallen because it is their duty. How many times has it that he had seen his comrades dies? Those who he had talked the day before, now are six feet underground. He knows the rules of war... yet it still pains him.

"I will talk to the Vice-Commander. After you're patched up, do whatever you want." She can either return home and tell her brother that she had completed the mission, or wherever she wanted to go. The Shinsengumi doesn't have any direct orders for her as of now. Just as he was about to turn away, the medic told him to at least change his clothes, seeing as he was completely soaked to the bone. "Yeah, I pr--" Keisuke promptly pressed the back of his hand against his lips but several coughs escapes him anyway. It wasn't as bad as before seeing how he just brushed it off with a dismissive wave of his hand when the medic asked him if he was alright. "Just the cold, I'm fine."

With that said, Keisuke finally turns away and walked out of the room, into the hallway. Hopefully without no one following him. How long...will I be able to hide this. I wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back