First Time Poster, Long Time ST

Logos Invictus

I've been STing Exalted for years now, on and off, and this is my first post on these wonderful forums - though I've followed a lot of the threads going back to the original Compendium. Anyway - hello all, and on to the request for aid.

I need some help fleshing out two or three ideas I have for upcoming Exalted games. I don't have much idea which one I'll end up running, but that's alright because trhe ideas are still fledgling. I'm just looking for some different points of view on how I can flesh them out and run them to the benefit of my players.

Idea 1. The Empty Throne - This game takes place almost entirely in the underworld and shadowlands, with the characters taking on the roles of ghosts and Abyssals of varying stripes all attempting to seize (by force or guile) the recently (and mysteriously) vacated throne of a threshold ghost kingdom. The characters may work together as a group, or form factions amongst the group or even just go on a free-for-all 'gang war' as they all seek to become top dog for their various reasons.

Idea 2. Heirs of the Empire - A chronicle revolving around the lives of a group of young DBs fresh out of secondary school who knew each other in their youths and are brought back together by fate after taking separate paths. Here I'm thinking about taking a note from the rpg Paranoia, in that each character would have their own secret agenda in addition to whatever goals the group sets for itself as they manuever their way through the dangerous politics of Dynast society.

Idea 3. The Invasion - In this game, the heros begin as heroic mortals - citizens living in a southwestern port city that has thusfar managed to avoid a swift death at the hands of barbarians or subjugation under the Realm's heel. They are mostly normal people (by Exalted standards) until one day, a mysterious army invades their home and they find that they must make very difficult choices to preserve their homes and lives. The characters may Exalt along the way, though what type of Exaltation they receive would be based on the actions that they take in the course of the early adventures.

So, what does everyone think? Good ideas? Any help bringing these chronicle ideas into better focus?

I've always liked ideas of just Underworld games, with nothing but ghosts and Abyssals. I'm intruiged. Though I have to say the favorite in my eyes is the, number 3 idea. It seems somewhat similar to my game, the invasion by the mysterious army, though to help with ideas, can you give us some detail on the invading army and perhaps the region where they're going to be located?

Btw, love the second idea, Paranoia amuses me to no end  :lol:

The third idea, which I must admit was inspired by a three day marathon session of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, would be set in the South-western coast, a port town not currently controlled by anyone but its own king. The army would invade from the deep desert and I have a couple of ideas involving Rakshas or possibly Lunars as the masters of the invasion. Their foot soldiers would be warrior commoners or beastmen (or both) and I'm unsure as to their ultimate motives for seizing the city. It could be a short-term sack that sparks the Exaltation of the characters or otherwise drives them deeper into the plots of the godlike beings that control Creation or it could be a long-term invasion that the characters must oppose over the course of several stories - freeing slaves, rallying troops and thwarting their conquerer's machinations as they grow in understanding of themselves and the world around them.

I was also toying with the idea of involving the Guild or the Realm as a secondary antagonist, or even ally in the fight against the invaders.

As for the other two games, I'm a little vague on them. The Dragon-Blooded idea was one that I've been toying with for a while as a way to show the 'other side' of Exalted - sure, there could be plenty of Charm-enhanced combat, but it would be more about the actions of people that, despite (or because of) whatever special qualities they possess, are drawn into the plots of beings that have been patiently trying to control the world for centuries, if not millenia.

The Abyssal/Ghost idea is one I'd want to run probably in the north or somewhere near a shadowland, perhaps placing the kingdom at the heart of the shadowland and thus giving the characters a good reason to fight over it.

Great stuff. Why not, if you're going for the rising up against oppressors, take a cue from Braveheart, make it an epic spanning stories in that one region if the Fae or Lunars invade. It would be mighty impressive to see the Exalts raise an army of the common man to fight back and destroy their enemies who have taken hold of their land.

Even a plot line involving the fallen king could be a good draw for your players if they liked the man. Honestly, have them just blitz around the town for a session or a few, have them get to know people and give a damn about it falling down all around them. I think you could get a very quality play out of your PCs with this one.

As for the DB campaign, yes, it would be quite the Victorian esque game, epic duels and what not, political startegos and all that fun stuff. The plot of the Dynasty vary from man to man, but overall, I think your players would dig it. I've been running political games for God knows how long. Problem is I have master politicians and connivers for players lol, so it's a bit rough.

But it's a great start overall!

As I look back over my notes, I think the DB game or the invasion would be the ones I would want to focus more on. Though the Abyssals game might be fun as a sort of forum strategy game with the players rping their way through the complicated strategies necessary to seize a throne.

For the invasion - you are right, I'd definitely want to build up the setting before the invasion. Create a few characters and sub-plots to give the character's actions meaning. It was my thought, given the source of my inspiration for the idea, that one of the characters may actually be the child of the local ruler - dispossessed by the invasion and attempting to find their place in a world that's very different from the one they expecting when they woke up. My players love good role-play, so something like that would be great.

The same goes for the DB game, though there I'm thinking of looking more at the fragility (or strength) of bonds of friendship. In the face of plotting by elder DBs, Sidereals and the enemies of the realm - can a friendship forged in youth remain strong, even after the trust you placed in the person is called into question?

And of course both settings provide a lot of room for action. Epic battles, duels of honor, narrowly escaping death traps, etc.

Still, appropriate antagonists and allies are escaping me and I think that that's where I need the most help. As I said before, I've got a few ideas for a Fair Folk either directing or manipulating the Invasion, but I've always had a problem coming up with a motivation that fits the Raksha's particular logic.

That's just the thing, come up with anything, they ARE Raksha, chaos incarnate and all that. It's part and parcel of what they are at heart 9no pun intended). Maybe the mountains or plains remind it of a painting it saw once in a First Age ruin in the Wyld?Perhaps It wants a Freehold or maybe a slave population to feed off of and have it worship him. Perhaps it wants it as a staging point for the next Balorian Crusade, the possiblities with a Raksha are virtually endless.

I like the idea of the slave population. It would definitely help localize it and also make it possible for me to include the Guild, my favourite arch-nemesis, as a secondary antagonist. Perhaps I could make that secondary to another goal. You have to understand, this is the first time I've really ever used Rakshas as an antagonist, so characterization is coming a little slowly to me on that end.

Maybe make the Realm or the Cult a possible ally, though. Giving the heroes the choice of selling their soul metaphorically to avoid losing it literally. Hmmm...I'm really starting to like this idea.

The Guild or Cult can be fun, a little note to the Cult of Illuminated, if all your PCs or just a few are Solars, youre gonna have a ball. The Cult Siderials will do ANYTHING to get them in. Sure they may turn down the first offer, but if a few of their friends die and a few key battles or speeches go down the tubes...well, the Cult seems mighty fine to patch their bruised egos. Not mentioning htat the Sidies were the ones killing their friends and all that.

But Raksha as an opponent is great fun, illusions, crazy Wyld beasts you can just make up, everything. As I know you see, characters for Raksha are very hard to make up. I always do it on the fly, they can shift their appearances and all, so it helps. If you have Scavenger Sons or the Kingdom of Halta books, they're a great help in that area.

Idea 2. Heirs of the Empire - A chronicle revolving around the lives of a group of young DBs fresh out of secondary school who knew each other in their youths and are brought back together by fate after taking separate paths. Here I'm thinking about taking a note from the rpg Paranoia, in that each character would have their own secret agenda in addition to whatever goals the group sets for itself as they manuever their way through the dangerous politics of Dynast society.
 The Empress is your Friend! Trust only the Empress!

There are heretic demon-loving Anathema among us; even now, your closest non-Exalted acquiantances and family may be harboring heretic demon-loving tendencies. Report all instances of potential heretic demon-loving Anathema activity to your nearest All-Seeing Eye office!

I just had a sudden flash image of a six-pack of cloned Dragon-Blooded waiting for 'activation' in some Sidereal's basement in Yu Shan....

I have seen the future of warfare....warstrider clad Solars doing battle with Ghost Legion Dragon-Blooded in the streets of Nexus, the canals running all rainbowy with hydraulic fluid....

Oh well....I'd rather them develop something useful like Robo-Terrestrials than another Beast of Resplendent Liquids. Unless it produced bourbon. Even then, though, I'd be wary.

LoL, indeed. I like the aspects of automatons that are brought up from time to time in Exalted. I just like robots really, but hte Alchemicals are a different breed. One of my favorite Exalt types, but they aren't fun as enemies most of hte time, I like the idea of the old master's toys were left on when he died and they want to get payback for it. I like machines developing their own minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back