• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Fire Emblem Divide: Larkin x Leola

-Legion of Stone camp-
Leola lit a candle with a long thin match. She was aware that it was the middle of the day, and everyone was preparing to move camp soon, but to her that seemed like it was the perfect time to take a moment to meditate. The aroma of the candle was intoxicating and relaxed her immensely. She listened to the wind, where she could find it, the clamor of the camp covered it for the most part, but what she did see was...feathers. Beautiful white wings. How wonderful! She had seen avian laguz before but the white wings were a breed apart. Before long she was admiring them openly, heedless of the tussle around her as she tried to pick out individual feathers and how they flowed with the wing as a whole. Truly wonderful.

It was a busy day in camp. More so than usual. People were bustling around in every direction, carrying various objects to who knows where in preparation for the campsite's move, and a great deal of noise accompanied it. There were crashes as a few particularly clumsy recruits dropped their loads, shouts as they were scolded by others, clangs as tents were taken down, and plenty of chatter all around, among other things. One would hope in this situation that the lookouts were doing their jobs well, as the wind must have carried the clamor far.

Observer to all of the camp's going-ons was Larkin, leaned against a pole that had yet to be taken down with large snowy wings folded behind her. She wasn't shirking work -- she rarely shirked anything -- but hadn't actually been assigned anything to begin with, much to her annoyance. Herons were considered "delicate" creatures by laguz standards, especially when it came to strength, and the stigma seemed to spread; no one would give one any work much heavier than picking up a small rock, much to her disgust. She would love to help, and was sure that she could knock a few of these tents over and carry a few swords, but in response she was simply told that it would be too difficult for her. No one wanted her sullying her heron's beauty by getting a little dirty. So now, in an already foul mood, sensitive as she was about her weakness, she stood gazing bitterly upon the busy soldiers.

After a while of watching, however, she became aware of the sensation of being watched herself. Turning her green eyes to check behind her, she spotted a woman with red hair watching her with even redder eyes. Was that a... candle next to her? In the middle of the day? Slightly unnerved by the woman but unwilling to act on it, Larkin turned to continue to survey the camp. The woman had probably just spaced out or something. She was bound to stop staring eventually.

However, ten minutes later and she was still staring. It was really starting to freak Larkin out especially since... was the woman staring at her wings? Shit. She had heard of humans poaching laguz. It was illegal, but... Ugh, and the lovely white feathers of some herons were known to be especially popular! Dammit this was not happening... Larkin found herself nearly shaking for a moment before she took another good look at the woman. She didn't look like she could hurt a fly. Besides, this was the middle of the Legion's camp, so... probably not a poacher. Still, why was the woman staring at her so intently? Now that she wasn't freaked out anymore, she was starting to get mad. Very mad. It wasn't long before she exploded.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" She shouted at the strange woman, marching towards her. "You've been staring at my wings for fifteen goddamn minutes, and you are scaring the shit out of me! That is not fucking okay! You can't just stare at a person as long as you damn well please! Do you hear me? Am I making myself clear? Fucking staring at someone all goddamn day sure as hell isn't the best way to make friends! It's creepy and rude and annoying as shit! Did you grow up in a barn? Did your parents teach you nothing? Why the hell are you staring at me anyway?" That may have been a little overboard but god dammit was she mad.

theunderwolf theunderwolf

It occurred to Leola, as a passing thought, that she should be helping. The thought drifted away though, as she had already packed her things onto her deer and no one had asked her to do things. though the candle may have driven some confused souls away. She had been told that her gaze could be... intense at times. Maybe she scared people? Something to think on. It struck her suddenly that the wing's were moving, revealing the person attached to them. While the lady was only slightly shorter than Leola, she seemed much smaller. Her father would bellow something about needing more meat on her bones. Her eyes though, had more energy and fury. They were much like emeralds, but many green eyes did, what caught Leona's eye was that someone had lit the emeralds on fire. It was more hypnotizing then the flame in front of her. It was an admirable amount of anger. Her reverie was rudely interrupted by the owner of the eyes shouting at her. "Huh-oh" She started to say as she slowly faded into higher cognition, "WAH!" She said jumping back suddenly realizing she was being shouted at. "Oh-I no, very rude I was raised in a very nice cave. I just...." She regained her composure and plopped back down on the ground, "Like your wings. I tend to watch things a lot, and your wings are just so, fascinating to see. What kind of Laguz are you?"

Larkin was still angry. The explosion of a foul temper is not so easily assuaged, and there had been no apology in the woman's statement. Still, her honest shock did a little to take an edge off of the heron's fury. It had now gone down a level or two, from absolutely fucking furious to just rather enraged. This probably wouldn't be a situation that caused a lasting grudge, either. As expected, the staring lady really didn't mean any harm and was instead just incredibly clueless. And rude. Unfortunately, though, shouting at her was unlikely to solve anything; judging by the woman's reaction she wouln't catch all of it. She had given some sort of explanation, at the very least, which was better than Larkin could have hoped for. Not a good one, but it was there. With a frustrated sigh, she moved a little closer to the woman so she wouldn't have to shout, crossing her arms and fluttering her wings slightly with annoyance once she had. She could tell this situation might require a good deal of talking, especially if she was going to get the woman to understand why what she did was not okay. May as well start by answering her questions first, though. Couldn't hurt. She just didn't want to get dragged into an extended conversation with the odd woman.

"I'm a heron," Larkin began curtly, with a slight huff. "Some of us have white wings like mine. Some don't. It varies." She thought for a moment. "How the hell have you not seen one before? We're not really rare. I think. Actually, hell if I know. I haven't ever seen another heron 'cept my mum. Ain't exactly from heronland, whatever fucking country that happens to be. Why the hell am I telling you this, I'm getting off topic. Don't stare at people. It's bad. Got it?"

"Oooooh," Leola said transfixed by the flutter of her wings, "Even if it was done in annoyance the movement was simply transfixing. Each feather was so elegantly connecting and shifting with the others. It was magnificent to watch the whole white wave of them move. They even fluttered in the breeze! It was especially nice to focus on in the clamor of the camp, where the movement was so easily lost. The feathers were like a wind chime, letting the air caress them as they moved by. Leola realized that she was probably staring again but it relaxed her so much that she didn't care much more than usual. "Even If I had seen another heron though... You would still be entrancing! That's like saying the clouds aren't interesting because you see them everyday! Though they certeinly complain less about some harmless looking. Your wings are pretty, that's all!"

Larkin huffed at the continued staring and lack of apology. Both just refused to stop being an issue. Really, couldn't this woman take a hint? That's clearly what the heron had been fishing for, but the woman remained stubbornly oblivious. Or maybe she didn't even think she should apologize? Actually, she seemed to be trying to make it seem as if Larkin's reaction was the problem here! What nerve! Her wings bristled slightly as her anger flared again. She was starting to realize that she really didn't like the woman whose eyes were once again transfixed by her feathers. If she didn't squeeze out an apology, she would cut this conversation short. Really, she was cutting it off as soon as possible either way. Time to be a little pushier.

"I have a few things to say to that. One: the clouds are boring as shit,"
Larkin retorted crossly. Okay, she might just be bringing that up because she wanted to be as at odds with the woman as possible, but it was true. "Whether I see them everyday or not has no bearing on how damn dull and useless they are. Two: looking isn't harmless, and you need to wrap your thick-ass skull around that. It's annoying and unnerving all wrapped up into one goddamn malignant as hell package, and it needs to stop. Which brings me to point three: I'm still waiting on your damn apology!"

"If you want people to apologize, maybe shouting at them isn't the best route," leola said easily as she looked up at the still very nice clouds, "Why don't you like being stared at though? most find my attention quite...gratifying." This was true. Leola had a modicum of self awareness after all, and knew that many actually liked the attention of an attractive elven lady. Though not always for chaste reasons. The lack of wonder at the beautiful clouds was the only rub n her side. The heron didn't seem to have any particular hatred for them which made leola wonder if there was a deeper reason for her anger. Something that she set off mayhaps? Maybe she should coax it out, help smooth out her ruffled feathers. Maybe literally! "For what it is worth though, I am sorry to make you uncomfortable by staring at your beautiful wings. Shall we start over?" She said with a faraway and genuine smile, extending an olive branch.

Larkin let out a small snort at the other woman's first response. When did shouting at people not make them apologize? She knew from experience that most people, once yelled at, would do whatever was necessary to make the verbal abuse stop as soon as possible. Normally that involved apologizing profusely. This woman was clearly an outlier to that general rule, but she did finally apologize, much to the Heron's satisfaction. She was about to just end the conversation with a nod there as she had planned to, but... ugh, the woman really seemed to want to keep this going. Gods Larkin hated that stupid smile on her face. Fine, she'd relent a little and offer a few parting words instead of just silently walking away. But she was still going to stubbornly stick to ending this.

"I don't like being stared at for reasons you know damn well I've already stated. Must I quote myself? 'It's annoying and unnerving'," Larkin answered defensively. She didn't have any obligation to the woman to say any more than that and really wasn't interested in talking about herself. "And no, we shall not start over." She smacked that metaphorical olive branch to the ground. "I'm not one to sugarcoat things; I don't like you. At all. You're very much the type of person I despise. So this is where this shitstorm of a conversation ends. Good day." Larkin turned to leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back