Fairfolk: graces and shaping combat.

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
On the issue of the fair folk Im getting REALLY confused by their book.

Especialy concerning the graces and the "shaping combat" part.

I've got the book b ut does anyone have any advice that could help me with it.

oh and as far as anyone can tell do all fair folk share the mountain folks limit of Essence 5.

I've got the book but does anyone have any advice that could help me with it.
That's a very general question. That's a lot of ground to cover. As a way of making a start I'd say you need to think of shaping combat as like physical combat, but instead of swinging a sword or shooting a bow, you might change gravity's pull or fill the world with millions of clockwork hands which immobilise people who walk anticlockwise around anything. Or whatever.

In normal combat, you might swing your sword, using Dex + Melee. If you want the clockwork hands, it might count as something like Manipulation + Occult (FF: p. 144). Instead of looking at all those dice pools as something you have to have in every combat, think of each character as being able to do 1 or 2 of them, and to have their own preferred way of doing it.

So instead of creating a Solar character and deciding they're going to be great at throwing handfuls of knifes, you might roll up a Raksha whose preferred weapon is creating groups of friendly illusions who befriend their enemy, before seperating them from the rest of the group and spiralling off into sucidal, homicidal acts of paranoia and betrayal. With sitar accompaniment.

oh and as far as anyone can tell do all fair folk share the mountain folks limit of Essence 5.
No. There are a couple of published Fair Folk nobles with Essences of 6 or more. Kingdom of Halta has a few, up to Essence 7. You could argue that there's one in Bastions of the North with an Essence of 8. It's scary.

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Son's of bitches

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

~FC.

I actually think this is a better introduction to shaping combat. Gives you a better idea of what the concept is, not so much the mechanics. I didn't get shaping combat, or really any of the Fair Folk book, until reading it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back