Exaltred Second Edition

Lotus1

what kinda upgrades and new information do you think the second edition will have. Do you think i should pre-order or do you think it will be like AD&D3.5 where their were changes but not enough to really need to purchase the newer version.

There's already at least one thread on this topic.

-S

EM says he's never planning on using 2nd edition because everything he's heard makes it sound like they're trying to turn Exalted into a d10 version of D&D.

He said he'll buy it, but he's going to convert it to 1st edition to fix it.

We won't know until we see it.  I'll admit that there are things that could have been more streamlined in the first edition and after reading why they're releasing Second Edition, I can understand it.  Incorporating power-combat and mass-combat into the basic structure is a good idea in my estimation, as well as streamlining the brawl/martial arts and endurance/resistance pairs of abilities into singular traits.  I'm eager to see what they've done with it, as well as all the shiny new artwork!   :)

so far every chang that ww has stated that they made is already out the window why they are turning it into d20 half way is beyound me I hate that system always have why I do well the list goes on and on

See, I think that the d20 system is solid.  It's servicable. It has, at its core, good mechanics, and the basic system is flexible enough to plug in all sorts of goodies, and keep things thematically appropriate, and easily balanced.

It turned a mish mash of rules and often conflicting ideas and streamlined the system into something that is flexible enough to handle several genres.  Like fantasy?  They've got D&D or Eberron.  Like Science Fiction?  They've got Gamma World or Future, or Stargate.  You like Supers?  They've got that too.  

It's nice and flexible, and it has done more to revitalize the gaming industry than anything else, and while folks may like to get a hate on for WotC, but they did a nice job at renovating the system, and giving studios that were struggling a chance at getting their product out.  They saved Atlas Games.  They put a lot of designers and writers back in the game.  And by polarizing folks, it injected a lot of passion back into gaming, be it for Palladium, GURPS, or WW product.

Like the system or not, give the folks at WotC their props...

so far every chang that ww has stated that they made is already out the window why they are turning it into d20 half way is beyound me I hate that system always have why I do well the list goes on and on
How is it like D20, because they wanted the system of the game to actually be consistent, easy to learn, and to make fucking sense?

The only possible connection to D20 is the passive defense, and I can almost gurantee you that the system will either flate out tell you how to make it active, or it will be so goddamn simple to figure out that a fucking three year old could do it.

That's the most fucking retarded thing I've ever heard. I hate the D20 system, but like Jakk said, it's done a lot of good, it's given a lot of companies the system they need to get their ideas out there. WoTC had a brilliant fucking idea to make it open license. WW, Palladium, GURPS, and all the others should have fucking done it too.

Goddamn EM, do you fucking pay attention at all? I manage a game store, I know what D20 is, and what it has done. I also know that WW isn't fucking making Exalted more D20.

Goddamn EM, do you fucking pay attention at all? I manage a game store, I know what D20 is, and what it has done. I also know that WW isn't fucking making Exalted more D20.
 Um, Cheetah, you've seen EM's posts for the past few months, and you're still asking that question?

QC--There is that whole Swords and Sorcery line, and WW is essentially holding the company that put out Gamma World--which was one of the best d20 products to come out for a long while.

And there's the Adventure/Aberrant conversion--not my favorite, because I really liked the previous games, and while I didn't see a good reason for it, it does bring the games to folks who might have missed them.  Not sure how much revenue they're going to generate, but it shows that WW can put out products that kick ass for other systems.

Me, I'd like to see them take on a Future game for d20, because I'd like to see some more mature content for it.

Since the whole "Dawn caste anima"-thing has always been such a hot potato, I thought I'd mention to check out the White Wolf site tomorrow ... they'll be releasing details of the new and improved Dawn anima for 2nd edition.

cheers

Hm. I thought they'd actually change the anima power's focus. They didn't. They have changed the mechanic significantly though. And yes, this is definitely more useful.

Apparently the effect also activates automatically if 11-15 peripheral Essence is used (without explicitly paying the normal 10 motes to activate).

Solfi said:
Apparently the effect also activates automatically if 11-15 peripheral Essence is used (without explicitly paying the normal 10 motes to activate).
That alone is something I consider a worthwhile upgrade.

Definitely, yes.

One thing that strikes me, is that the "can't look at the Dawn caste"-power is based off of Essence, which means that *potentially*, noone will be safe from the power (since the check is against Valor which is rated 1-5, and Essence can go above 5)...

I think that it's a good thing that they did not change the power's focus, and I agree with memesis that it's a worthwhile upgrade to the anima banner.

Solfi said:
Hey lookie! Someone has added a *post edited*-notice function! Nice!
That's standard phpBB functionality. It happens whenever you edit a post that's already been replied to.

-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back