Exalted 2nd Edition - Confirmation from Origins

Haku1

Ze Hamster of Lurkdom
I've got confirmation on some of the changes as posted on RPG.net and WW boards.

This is as posted there...

* First of all, Brawl and Martial Arts have been combined, as have Endurance and Resistance. There are two new abilities: War, which is all about strategy and tactics and sees use in the mass combat system; and Integrity, which is about resisting persuasion and is important to the new social interaction system.

* Social interaction has been revised to quantify exactly how hard it is to convince somebody to sell you their firstborn, and how much of a fight they can put up. (Geoff fully expects some people to hate this, but says it had to be done.)

* Combat has seen some big changes. Turns are gone; they've been replaced with a system of "ticks," where different maneuvers take slightly different lengths of time to complete. (Another effect of this is that you only have to roll for initiative once, at the beginning of combat.) Instead of rolling Dodge, you get a fixed Defense Value -- when using a charm, however, you roll dice and add successes to this.

* Some charms have been changed or added -- there are now dice adder, extra success, and reroll charms for every ability. There are also a few more higher-tier Solar charms in the corebook, mostly from the castebooks. Oh, and the Dawn anima ability doesn't suck anymore.

* The core book is going to be in color, and will probably have an introductory comic instead of introductory fiction. Both of these may be carried over to supplements as well, but they're not sure yet.

* The setting is pretty much the same. They have a slightly tighter thematic focus for the Solars -- it'll be easier to tell that they were originally lawgivers and god-kings and things of that nature.

* Supplements coming in the first year:

- ST Companion, with a lot more detail on antagonists and their abilities than the first one

- Magitech book, which will concentrate all that stuff so you don't have to use it if you don't want to

- Direction Book on the Scavenger Lands

- New DB book

- Direction Book on the Realm, seperate from the DB book

And yes, they are going to revise Lunars.

Haku said:
* Combat has seen some big changes. Turns are gone; they've been replaced with a system of "ticks," where different maneuvers take slightly different lengths of time to complete. (Another effect of this is that you only have to roll for initiative once, at the beginning of combat.)
Sounds like the way Feng Suit does things. It has its pros and cons.

When's it due to hit the shelves?

-S

Well so much for my lucky charms!

I'll be glad for a social combat system.  Having to contest willpower is retarded.

One thing that worries me is the idea of giving die adders, rerolls, etc to all charm trees.  One thing that I enjoyed about the current system was the different feel that different trees had.

Though, on the other hand, this would address balance problems.  Perhaps what theyre implementing is not so much a list of charms, but a framework of potential charms.  That might be interesting.

On the side, it bothers me that theyre still releasing books in the old system...  Though maybe thats because they want to give the option of systems.  *shrug*

Mind you... the die adders, rerolls and extra succeses are for Solars ... so far.

And yes, 2nd Edition is suppose to come out in Feb 2006.

With some pretty radical chnages listed there it sounds like a great deal of printed material is now useless.

With some pretty radical chnages listed there it sounds like a great deal of printed material is now useless.
I don't see how. The current material will be just as useful/useless as it is now. Nothing about 2nd Ed. will force you to stop using the old books as is. Just don't buy the new game.

-S

Still already mentioned sticking with 1st Ed. Just to add onto that, while the setting might change a bit it seems that a great deal of the fiction, character descriptions, information, story ideas, etc will all remain valid. Some books are heavy on mechanical rules, such as S&S. However other books like the Halta and Harborhead books are mostly just descriptions. I could easily imagine that all carrying over.

Now I'm the kind of person who doesn't like it when people bitch and moan about a game moving to a new system when the game changes editions, it's bad for my business. However, I can't help but feel in this instance that rather than fix a few small problems, that their overhaul will simply introduce a whole new batch of problems, and quite possibly not fix the current one.

On top of that, they'll most likely go back and completely redo the hardbacks (which in the case of Sidereals and Fair Folk IS needed), because if they don't we'll get a book that has nothing but revisions in it.

I'm not saying that this won't work, just that I'm afraid that it won't.

I thought Exalted did an AWESOME job of cleaning up the old WoD mechanics, whle still preserving the basics.

If Exalted 2nd Ed can take the system to an even higher level of perfection, I'll be really happy, and start buying the new books.

If not, I'll just stick with what I have, but I won't be disappointed or upset.

-S

Sounds fun to me.  Also sounds like it'll be pretty compatible with the old version if you don't want to replace all your books, etc.

Stillborn said:
I thought Exalted did an AWESOME job of cleaning up the old WoD mechanics, whle still preserving the basics.
If Exalted 2nd Ed can take the system to an even higher level of perfection, I'll be really happy, and start buying the new books.

If not, I'll just stick with what I have, but I won't be disappointed or upset.

-S
I agree with that. However, I think the new WoD mechanics are too simple. I can't imagine Exalted being "daiklave +3 to attack and damage, Grand Daiklave +4" just too simple for me. I also hope the new combat system isn't too radically different. I've never messed with Feng Shui, but I dislike the idea that initiative is consistent.

I certainly think Exalted has a more than a few things that could be fixed, and I do look forward to the 2nd ed. But I'm getting a little tired of WW eternally publishing really cool concepts that are really badly flawed and then revising and revising and revising. Yes, the new editions are much better, but I'm starting to feel a burning and aching sensation in my ass, when I buy their new and improved products. It seems like I hear this faint laughing, as I open and read the books. It would be really nice if they just once would take the time to get it right the first time.

Ormseitr said:
I'm starting to feel a burning and aching sensation in my ass, when I buy their new and improved products.
Maybe you should post about that on a proctology forum. You might get more qualified opinions.

-S

One thing that I think that the nice folks at WotC did, was when they put together d20--groans in the audience, I know--they nailed down the system pretty damn well.  Each book is an expansion, and it gives all sorts of goodies, and lots of options, but the rules system is pretty damn coherent all the way through, and doesn't need a lot of "fixing".  Some of the books rehash the original material, but all in all, the d20 system is the same, easy to pick up, if you play D&D, Future, Spycraft, or any of the other settings. There are some tweaks to each setting, but the basics are the same.

WW likes to tweak. They like to refine. Me, I usually ignore a lot of those tweaks. I usually House Rule the things that I want to see changed--like Warfare, losing Brawl and Martial Arts, and the like. I consider the supplements as source material, and rules changes, I check out, and if I don't like them: I don't let it worry me too much, and just use the thing as a source book, or a springboard for ideas.  The same way that I mine d20 books for Exalted ideas, or vice versa. The system that I use, pretty much has remained the same for many years, with some revisions here and there when WW comes up with something that I like, but for the most part, things have remained pretty consistant.

I'm not a fan of the New WoD.  Don't hate it, but I'm not a fan, and haven't really done much with it.  If you don't like the upcoming changes, don't use them. Mine the books for new ideas and plots, or borrow the damn thing and mine it for ideas that way, and save your cash.

Do that, instead of complain that you're wasting cash, because I don't think that Stephan Wieck or Grabowski is holding a gun to your head telling you have to buy it. They're hoping you will, but all this handwringing is embarrassing.  Get up a pair, find a new game, pony up the cash like the rabid fanboy you are, and just accept that you're WW's punk, or just don't buy the damn thing, and keep on with your own game.  Who says you have to encorporate the WW line on what happened to the Scarlet Empress?  Jeebus Frist, you'd think that no one had seen fanboyism before. It's OK. You can admit that you want WW to do the thinking for you--they come from a long line of folks who have profitted from that sort of thought--from Keep on the Borderlands to Temple of Elemental Evil--game companies have profitted on the idea of collectable books for their own sake, rather than the usefulness of their content.

I've never messed with Feng Shui' date=' but I dislike the idea that initiative is consistent.[/quote']
Only played it once, but it is a step in the right direction - provided that it's managed correctly.

Feng Shui has a tracking sheet, which makes it quite smooth, but it still seems a little clunky. If they can streamline it slightly, it'd be great, and it means that multi-tick actions can be performed, and tiny-but-fast weapons or charms become awesome for extra-killing, while the Big Fucking Charms can get a charge time and requre some strategic use.

Exalted is essentially Fantasy Anime Feng Shui. It should integrate smoothly, and be quite cool.

Oh, and man TSJ must be chuffed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back