• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Errant Eternal

Dragongal

Miss Medic

The fantasy world of Trulane, full of magic and mystery, in which two adventurers are about to begin their quest as a team for the first time.

Of course, they have to meet each other, first.

Both adventurers have been summoned to the halls of the Lord Aric of Low Rock, a large province of thick forests dotted with sawmills and farmfields. The castle is surrounded by a bustling city.

Summoned into the large hall, in front of the Lord himself, a large, gruff old man, the adventurers see each other for the first time.

@Unwavering Knight

Polaris wasn't sure what to expect from this meeting. She'd been given very little information, only that she was going to be given a mission that would pay well. She didn't care about the pay, helping people and keeping her mind occupied were pay enough for her, however, this didn't keep her from hesitating at the offer. She was told that she'd be working with someone, and this didn't suit her very well for a large number of reasons.

Walking down the lonely, echoing corridor to the hall where she was to meet her new teammate, she adjusted her sword and shield, then her gloves,making sure she was prepared for whatever came next. The doors opened, and she was in a grand, cavernous hall. To her right was the Lord Aric on his almost - throne, and nobody else was in the room, not even servants. She hesitated in the doorway - wasn't she supposed to be meeting someone she was to work with? She stepped forward, stopping before Lord Aric. She was about to say something when she heard another set of doors open behind her.

"Make way, doorway, hero coming through!" came the cheerful bellow as the hulking knight pushed the gate open, ducking for just a moment as he hefted himself through to avoid hitting his helmeted head on the frame, the fairy on his shoulder mimicking the motion before she returned to cheerful waving of her dainty hands in her own greetings to the assembled.

"We have arrived! The Clipped Wings of Hope are here for Goodness!" the knight clad in white continued to call as he trudged through the hall towards the Lord Alric. However, his gait became notably more subdued when he took sight of the fur-dressed form of Polaris, voice's volume lowering by a few notches as he slowly inquired "Uhhh... yeah, we're here, for the quest... and the partner we were told of would be...?" as he came to a halt, his helmeted head hesitantly focused on Polaris "... this is Kaatl..." his right thumb pointed up at the shoulder the fairy sat upon, wings giving the occasional flutter to maintain balance "... I would be Syrann. Pleasure... to meet you, yes."

Awkwardly, the knight remained frozen some notable distance before Alric and Polaris. Kaatl flashed the latter an apologetic smile, one hand patting the knight's head.

@Dragongal

Polaris crossed the distance, offering Syrann a handshake. She spoke with no accent. "My name is Polaris Mentha. It is good to meet you both. If my assumption is correct, and we are working together,I predict this will be a fun adventure," she said with a smile.

He'd called himself a hero. So he was either full of himself or, if he was telling the truth, he was someone she knew she could never morally match, as much as she hated to acknowledge it. Either way, she wanted to get going.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ahh..." the knight uttered as he looked at the offered hand. A moment of silence passed before his own arm was set into motion, armored fingers slowly, hesitantly stretching out until he finally grasped hers, though only lightly, just barely exerting pressure.

Kaatl gave a single clap with her hands before elegantly rising from her seat with a flutter of her wings, striding along the knight's elongated limb with a childish skip in her step. As she arrived at the meeting of Polaris's and Syrann's hands, she lightly grasped the two with her own fingers, smiling up at Polaris as she gave them a vigorous shaking to complete the gesture.

The knight gave a sigh "I... apologise, good missus Polaris, it has nothing to do with you. I am certain we will cherish our collaboration in this endeavor."

Polaris was surprised at Kaatl's actions, but smiled kindly back to her. She'd seen fae from a distance, but up close? Interacting with people, and in a positive way nonetheless? Polaris was very interested in learning more about fae, but she'd be careful around Kaatl until she was more certain about her. She smiled roguishly to Syrann, saying, "Don't ever worry about insulting me. It's right hard to do that, and it ruins the fun when you worry about insulting someone." She made sure Kaatl wouldn't fall before withdrawing her hand. "I look forward to getting started."

Lord Aric watched their interaction with a smile on his face. There'd been some debate about whether the two adventurers would get along, based off the data the group of Lords had been given, but that was evidently misplaced. "Well, since the lady is so eager, I suppose I should give you both your assignment," he said. "There's a group of bandits that's been pestering the North highway for some time. We've been able to take a few of their numbers, but some of them have always escaped. Now, normally, we'd not call in... those such as yourselves, for something like this, however, they've captured a small outpost along the highway. They've not pestered any on the roads since, however, we've been unable to reclaim the outpost from them. We fear that they will eventually grow bold and begin taking control of the highway.

"We estimate their number to be about eight. I realize this seems like a small amount, and likely not enough to take a fort, however, there is one mage - a defensive mage - and an inventor. This inventor has created large weapons that we cannot get our men past, and innovative traps. Those weapons got them into the outpost, now we can't stop them."

"A mage..." Syrann echoed quietly as he pulled his hand back, Kaatl gracefully seating herself on his shoulder again "I assume that is why I was requested directly." the knight noted, visor focusing on Lord Alric.

"Syrann has been allegedly noted for having a certain resistance against magic." the lord explained, more for Polaris's benefit than that of anyone else "You could say that this assignment has the added bonus of ascertaining that without a doubt." the sharply-cut features of Alric gained a tinge of business-like emphasis as he addressed Polaris directly "You wouldn't mind doing that for us as well, would you?"

A trained smile crept back onto the nobleman's face as he gave a stifled but still audible laughter, the sort one would utter after having made a cheap joke of something completely certain.

Polaris suddenly decided for absolute certain that she no longer liked Aric. "Likely would have been lighter on your coinpurse to just ask him," she pointed out in a frank tone. Nobles weren't known for being the most thoughtful of people, and everyone in the room knew it. She turned to Syrann. "If you're ready to go, Sir Syrann, then let's depart."

~Timeskip~

The sun hadn't set long before, and the last remaining light in the sky was growing dimmer. Polaris found a small clearing to the side of the worn dirt road, which was evidently a fairly common spot used for camps. She set her pack down against a tree, asking, "Fire or no?"

"A fire will do, is it not customary to exchange stories and thoughts while gathered around the light?" the knight answered, setting down his own pack containing his violin and various supplies, Kaatl lazily reclining on his shoulder, eyes half-closed in near-doze "I... have to admit, I am not all too versed in questing with others, or for long distances outside of settlements. We, that is Kaatl and me, usually just keep to roads if we aren't situated in a town and keep marching. If it gets difficult to see, Kaatl provides the light."

Silence. The knight remained standing with some awkwardness as he looked at Polaris with uncertainty hidden by his helmet. "Perhaps... we should engage in idle chatter, for the sake of the quest, yes..." he trailed off, pondering how to overcome this perpetual chill clawing within his throat.

Polaris smiled. This knight was funny, even if he didn't intend to be. It had been a long while since she'd traveled with others... but that time was past. "It is indeed customary, but I've never been one to be bound by customs. If you prefer, we may keep travelling, but Kaatl does seem drowsy, and I haven't endurance such as yours. Idle chatter, as you call it, is not a bad idea, as it would be good to know each other well if we're to work cohesively."

Polaris began gathering some firewood and pulled flint and steel out of her pack, setting the wood alight. She hoped he wouldn't notice how carefully she'd done it or how far she'd tried to stay from the fire. She sat against a tree, pulling a loaf of bread from her pack. "Would you like something to eat?"

In awkward silence, Syrann watched as his quest-ally meticulousely assembled the campsite, the creaking of dry wood and fallen leaves causing Kaatl's sleepy eyes to open momentarily, taking in the sight with the slightest hint of a frown, before giving an emphatic tap onto the knight's helmet, eyes closing as he turned to look. Quietly, the fairy slid from his shoulder, landing securely in the prepared crook of his arms, apparently having no trouble with sleeping nestled upon the armored frame.

Giving a sigh, the knight sat down at the fire, steel-gaze staring into the dancing flames. When the question for food came, he raised his unoccupied hand in a gesture of denial "I am not hungry, sorry..." before tilting his head, thinking as he went through the stories in his memories that might give him a hint on how to behave in this situation.

Looking up, gaze directed at Polaris, he hesitantly uttered "Unless... would this be that moment where a knight is supposed to accept the Lady's offerings and give supplication no matter the flaws?" Quickly he lowered his view, adding sheepishly "Uhh, sorry, I haven't had much prolonged contact with others since I left... ceased contacting my order."

Polaris smiled to him, perhaps a touch sympathetically. "Perhaps that is what would be customary, but as I said, I've never been one to be bound by custom. I think some customs are honestly ridiculous. You needn't eat if you don't want to." She took a bite of the bread, thinking. He still didn't seem comfortable around her, which wasn't exactly a good thing if they were to fight together. "You can take off your helm and armor, we are safe here, after all. Might as well get comfortable."

"Ah..." Syrann uttered, thinking with rapid trepidation "Errr... But it's not entirely my decision to change position." he quickly said, helmeted head giving a meaningful nod downwards to the fairy nestled in the crook of his arm, who gave a light shiver, sleeping form curling up in the bed of steel. "As for the helmet..." he paused in thought again, hidden gaze shifting without aim in discomfort, before his voice exclaimed with increased volume "... there could be an ambush, yes, I will take the first guard, just in case!... and no need to worry about the comfort. I'm not used to the wilds, but I am used to sleeping without quarters, yes..."

He trailed off, trying to think of a way to put the conversation in a different direction.

Syrann didn't seem the type to lie. He did, however, seem very uncomfortable, and the way he spoke gave her the idea that he was trying to lie. He was obviously not comfortable around her, but he was evidently willing to make an effort "You don't have to take a watch, I was going to set up a basic nature tripwire spell. We're not exactly in a dangerous area, so I don't believe more is necessary." She sighed, sitting up straighter. She had to shift the subject, obviously, this knight wasn't exactly talkative. Or comfortable.

Polaris was quiet a few seconds, then said, “How’s this - any questions we ask each other, we have to tell the truth, or we can just not answer, and we won't push then. I don’t doubt you’ve been telling the truth, and would only tell the truth, but perhaps a vouch of honour from me is more necessary. So, truth or nothing - what do you say?” She didn't want to insult him, but perhaps he would be more comfortable if he knew she didn't mind if he didn't want to say something. She had plenty of things she wasn't about to let him know.

"Well..." the knight slowly began, head tilting in thought "I mean... if you don't mind, I'd like that very much." Another moment of silence passed before he added "Kaatl doesn't mind either."

A slight internal conflict remained, the knight staring into the fire again, avoiding the direct gaze of Lady Polaris. Taking a deep breath, he forced the hesitation away and directed his helmeted view onto the woman "I apologize, it is nothing about you personally, as I said. It is just that I... have had trouble addressing women ever since I left... I mean, ever since I joined my order."

"Ah, so that's what it is. I'll admit, you had me wondering." Odd. Again, he began saying, "When I left" and then suddenly changed it. She wanted him to be comfortable around her if they were going to be fighting together. This knight obviously had something painful in his past. She smiled slightly. "Maybe it'd help if you knew me better? Ask me anything you like, you'll get truth or nothing, like we agreed. I'd prefer us to be comfortable with each other if we're to be going into battle together." When she used to battle with others, they were close. Very close. But those days were very long gone.

"Hmmm..." he contemplated, free hand tapping at his armored neck "Perhaps.... do you like music? The march was a bit quiet, which I am sure was because of our lack of familiarity... But I am sure I can liven it up a bit, I have been practicing with a violin for some time!" his voice gained a tinge of vigor, helmeted gaze looking intently at Lady Polaris.

After a moment he lowered his gaze again, looking into the fire as he added with submission "Kaatl at least liked it..."

She noted that he seemed embarrassed, almost. It was obvious he had a bad past he didn't like to think on. His social skills needed polishing, his confidence seemed to need a boost, but she was sure it was mostly because she was a girl. She wished he would let her help, that was just... what she did, help fix people. He didn't seem to talk so shyly when he brought up music, though. This seemed a good starting point. "I love music, actually. You should play for us. I'd like that, if it's no hassle. Quietly of course, otherwise we'll wake Kaatl." She decided not to mention the ocarina in her pack. It seemed like he would be more comfortable if she didn't at the moment. He seemed almost excited to play, but perhaps... embarrassed? She didn't want to disappoint him, and she actually did want to hear him play. Maybe she'd pull out her ocarina to join him after a song or two.

After a moment, Syrann carefully led the arm holding Kaatl down onto the bedding, the fairy shifting with subconscious discomfort but otherwise remaining asleep as he tucked her in. Quietly rummaging through his pack he soon produced a weathered violin and scratched up bow, signs of both cheap quality and ample use, though that didn't deter him from holding the instrument up with pride. Standing up, he held the wooden neck against the crook of his arm, giving an artist's bow before his audience before letting the strings sing.

[media]

[/media]
A slow, wistful pace, sadness inherent, but not without hope ever brighter. A practiced song, a tune he had developed as he marched, growing with each step.

Never would he cease.

Polaris smiled widely listening to him play. He was very good, and she greatly enjoyed listening to him. Toward the end of the song, she let her eyes close and her head lean back against the tree. It had been a long day, and she was tired, as she always was as of late. "It's so beautiful," she said quietly before dozing off, still smiling. Which was odd, because sleep was something she often struggled with, especially when there were other people around.

A few hours after noon, Polaris, Syrann, and Kaatl had traveled a good distance. Earlier that morning Polaris had vehemently apologized to Syrann for falling asleep while he played, but there hadn't been too much talk between them since then. Trees still shaded their path, and a decent breeze rustled her cloak. Polaris was following Syrann's lead for the most part, not paying much attention. She was getting a headache that felt worse with every passing minute. She was looking at the trees ahead when she noticed something odd. A bit of bark on one tree didn't perfectly match up with the rest of the bark. And was there the slightest... glimmer? "Syrann, hold up. Let me go ahead...." Her headache got worse when she looked at the spot. "Seems like a simple enough illusion trap.... Don't walk forward until I disable it, alright?"

"Are you sure?" Syrann asked, though he did freeze immediately upon her command, while his voice gained a note of anticipation "If I go in first while you remain hidden, certainly I will draw their attention all onto me, leaving you to operate freely. This would be what any knight would do for his companions!" he raised his hammer in a gesture of triumph, taking on a heroic pose while looking straight at Polaris.

Kaatl smiled as she too raised her hands to mimic her knight, a coquettish gleam in her eyes as she looked down at Polaris.

"Very certain, it's just an illusionary class trap, I've dealt with them a thousand times, I just have to disable the foci and the magic net disappears. There's nobody's attention to draw, it's like a bear trap, nobody is watching it. Your hammer won't do you any good here. It's a basic trap, though a bit odd, this glimmering should just be a glamour over the foci." She added, "I'd rather you do what you wish than what is expected of a knight. You do have freedom, after all." She didn't want to explain why she'd done it a thousand times, so she didn't pause to let him ask. She set her pack down and took her dagger out of its sheath, walking to the tree and putting the edge against the glimmering spot. She put pressure against the bark. And for some odd reason, the trap reacted.

There was a bright, burning, blinding flash and Polaris was thrown back, lifted off her feet. Her back hit a tree, and she thought she heard a crack. Laying on the loam, trying to blink vision back into her eyes, she sighed, "Fuck." She rolled onto her side, gently running her hand over her ribs. She suddenly realized her hand was burnt under her glove. "Damn." She really did not feel like getting up, and she still couldn't see yet. It felt hard to breathe. The force that had thrown her back had entirely knocked the wind out of her. "Don't... don't go near that," she groaned, letting her head hit the loam. She tried to think over what had gone wrong.... she'd done it a thousand times, the two times it had reacted had been nothing like that.

"Madam-Lady Polaris!" Syrann called in shock as she flew through the air, Kaatl giving a frightened gasp. Immediately the knight ran towards his companion's downed form, armored frame towering over her as his helmeted gaze frantically inspected her wounds. The fairy hopped from the knight's shoulder, fluttering wings gently easing her to the ground as her own worried view came to a halt on the woman's hand, burn-damage covered by leather glove.

Having looked around the surroundings in search of any additional threat without findings, Syrann knelt down by Polaris's side. Kaatl gently waved her hands, high-pitched voice quietly mumbling "Pain go away, pain go away..." over and over, a slight glow emerging from between her fingers, ethereal energy flowing towards the downed woman's wounds. The damage was only marginally lessened, torn skin slightly mended over cracked bones, but the pain at least was fading. Her work done, the fairy seated herself on the knight's shoulder again, nervous flutter of wings never fading.

"Madam-Lady Polaris..." Syrann began, before his voice faded in thought, uncertain what he could say to either soothe or suggest their next course of action "What... happened? How could a mere trap like this react so aggressively?"

Polaris still couldn't really see, thanks to the brightness of the flash, and hearing Kaatl and Syrann but not seeing them was minorly disconcerting. She liked knowing exactly where people were. She sighed, then smiled and said a bit shakily, "So Kaatl does have a voice," not wanting her companions to worry about her. Worrying about people was her job. She had to say, it was odd for someone else to cast a healing spell on her, but she didn't mind. She was pretty sure she had just cracked a rib, minor damage considering what it could have been.

"Thanks for that, Kaatl. And, Syrann, please, just call me Polaris. Uh, I've never, ever seen a trap where the foci was in the form of a powder. That's why the heat traveled through my knife like that, I damaged the foci. I thought having anything that wasn't solid was... impossible. Seems like that trap was rigged for someone to try - and fail - to disable it." She got her hands under herself, yelping as she remembered her hand was burnt. She sat herself up against the tree, instinctively holding her hand to her chest. This was bad, she needed to heal her sword-hand. Which meant she needed to remove her glove. She glanced at Syrann hesitantly, and very quietly said, "Um, I-I need to take off my glove... please... don't look at my hand." She was at Syrann's mercy now, if he saw her hand and figured it all out. But she needed her sword-hand. And the biggest rule to magical healing, never heal something under clothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back