[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Sun] Chapter 6, scene 18: The Lion's Den

xarvh

Malevolent Entertainer
The Nexus Armory, in the heart of Firewander, is a short ugly building with thick stone walls, manned by young Tiger Warriors.

A long queue of young hopefuls waits patiently at the doors.

A large hall of the building is dedicated to indoor training, and Argis can notice that the soldiers are receiving training in crowd control and non-lethal warfare.

The rest of the building seems dedicated to military bureaucracy.

A few flights of stairs bring below the ground level and into a large cellar cut in live stone.

A vast collection of chains and assorted restraint devices hangs from the walls and ceilings and the room reeks of piss.

The Lion closes the heavy trapdoor behind her and gestures towards a few chairs spread randomly in the room.

With a click, Soap frees Siham's wrist from the cuffs.

- Lord Peleps, Professor Siham, please have a seat.

You are here because you are deemed potentially dangerous for Nexus.

It is my duty to ensure that you pose no threat.

I have several options to do this: some would be very easy, while some others involve both of you leaving this building safe and free. I want to hope that you appreciate the effort.

There is not a hint of emotion in her voice, everything is stated as a matter-of-fact, cold as ice.

The notion of "crowd control" existed in the First Age, but for today's Creation is pretty advanced stuff.

Argis has been summoned to the Armory regarding Siham.

The Lion is using Judge's Ear Technique.

Siham was, out of the corner of his eye, trying to count how many cracks were in the wall while the Lion made her little speech. He got to around 8 of what he believed to be 17 by the time she was done, at which point he turned his attention back to her.

"I will be frank, then." He said, settling in the a relaxed pose, resting his head on one hand. "I don't care about you. I don't care about your circle. I don't care about your academy or your Tiger Warriors. I don't even care about Nexus. I joined the academy because I was curious that there might be Solars among their ranks or just in the city itself and I needed an excuse to stay. Now that my idle curiosity has been satisfied, I can file the information away under 'interesting trivia.' Had we not met, I likely would have wrapped up my lessons, taken care of a few minor errands in the city and then left until I felt a need to come back for whatever reason."

"Ultimately," He continued, shifting to the other hand "I believe that we are nothing to each other, and that we both would best be served by parting ways."

OOC

Siham is being completely truthful.

Weeks of investigation and circumspect discussions, time spent reconnecting to the game of trade and finance (not that he really regretted that), and a careful observation of the city's martial forces, yet it was Siham getting into trouble that brought him closest to the Solars of the city. Argis hoped he was ready, but expected that he was not. Solars.

The first thing of note aside from the Lion, was that Siham was bound. As they proceeded into what would only be described as a dungeon Argis became more alarmed by the possibility of what the young Solar might have done to invite such treatment. His imagination was well in hand however and he remained in this moment calm and observant, ready. The young girl seemed most out of place here.. not to be underestimated he chided himself.

Argis moved to a chair, but remained standing behind it. His hands coming to rest on the back. A bit of relief when the bonds were removed from Siham, and he took a seat lightly.

"Your efforts are certainly appreciated. Though I apologize, I did not catch your name, or yours." Argis passed a curious eye over the girl. His features were warm despite his words.

Truth

I'm guessing that Friend to all Nations would not actually offer a benefit here in Nexus, but would imploy if it did.

- I'm Soap! - Soap says helpfully.

The Lion nods politely at Argis.

- Lord Peleps, my name is Ennia, but you will know me as the Lion. I'm Commander of the Nexus Guard.

The woman sizes Siham.

- Professor Siham, please understand that you are a Solar with allegedly powerful friends. It would be foolish of me to let you go without knowing more about your connections.

She pauses, looking patiently now at Siham, now at Argis.

Both, if your character speaks or acts, roll Per+Soc/Inv.

@Feantari: it's not a bad idea to use it, it will ensure that a Realm Dynast is treated without prejudice.

Siham removed himself from her grip, looking irritated. "Since you insist on treating me like an enemy, I have no intention of revealing anything to you beyond what has been already stated. I will reiterate the point that should we part ways amicably, it is unlikely that I will return unless something requires my attention here."

OOC

Siham is being truthful.

Investigation check, 9 dice for 5 successes

Argis can sympathize with them both, and does, but if anything is to be getting done all needed to get past their fears. So what then is to fear from it all. Have they encountered unfriendly solars or is this the caution of leaders, protecting something, or themselves... Then of course, there was the question of the emissary lingering.

"Lady Ennia, Ms. Soap, I certainly have heard of the Lion of Nexus. However, even a lion can see the value of making friends rather than enemies or corpses. Unlike Lord Siham, I do care about Nexus. It has been my home off and on for some time, and I would prefer that the city not suffer the fate of Lookshy. Much of the scavenger lands is in peril now, and I think you will need more than your army of tiger warriors if you plan to do anything about it." His eyes asked the implied question piercingly.

Argis sat back in the chair and smiled at them, hope that such heroes were here in nexus and behind it sadness for the places without.

"But Lord Siham is correct, what healthy friendship can be born of such detainment? I'm sure there are places better suited and better smelling. I will not run off on you if that is what you fear." He laughed goodnaturedly at the prospect of trying.

Argis will use Friend to All Nations then, 2m

Per + Inv + 1m(4 dice) 1st ex = 11 dice

Personal 10/13

[dice]5248[/dice]

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no attempt at intimidation in her voice.

Either she's an extremely good liar, either she has a specific threat in the back of her mind.
- Your complaints are legitimate. Would you be willing to bind your words to a sworn oath?

Ennia's glacial eyes glance at the two Crossers.

Siham gave a derisive bark of laughter at the Lion's question. "No. I'd sooner cut off my own hand than swear an oath to someone who puts me in chains and refuses to listen to reason. If you want to discuss things more civilly, we can do that elsewhere and on better terms."

Argis starts to stand. "Patience, both of you!"

I'm not sure how much talking I can really do during short ticks, but Argis will try his best to head off violence. I can't activate a form charm while JB right?

[dice]5272[/dice]

Argis looked between them urgently first to Ennia and then to Siham punctuating his remarks with eyes searching for reason in each of them, "Chosen of Sol, hold your blades and curb your tongues for you are of the same maker. Hear my council. I beg you!"

Cha + Pres + Temp channel (1wp) = 11 dice

crap, 10 dice, sorry its late, scratch one of those off down there sorry

personal 10/13

wp: 5/6

[dice]5331[/dice]

Standing in front of Siham in a faint pulse of Solar essence, the Lion exhales softly.

Only then Argis and the Twilight realize that the blade of her Daiklave lingers, still as stone, against Siham's throat.

A dot of crimson slides along the blade.

Her body still, her anima lounges forward in a single bursts, running over Siham, leaving no doubts about her intention.

- Talk, Dynast. Give me a reason to spare your lives.

- Oooow! I superlike him, do you have to kill him!?

- Shut up Soap.

Stunt 1 for Argis, worth 1 suxx.

Siham suffers no damage.

End of combat time.

I so fail the Bechdel Test.

"I will give you many." Argis watches the blade arm with discomfort.

He adopts a more matter of fact military demeanor. "Chief among them is that we are all needed to fight what threatens creation. The deathlords and their knights are organized and have been planning their movements for some time. The chosen of Sol however, are but newly awakened and scattered. Some are harried by Wyld Hunts, others by agents of greater more mysterious organizations. Powers new and old are in motion. This is not the time to bicker over niceties or give in to fears and insecurities. We are ones that would stand with you against the enemies of creation."

The statement hangs a moment and Argis lowers his arms to his chest and crosses them.

"However, more to your immediate questions, because we pose no threat to Nexus or its people. On this I believe we have made our positions clear." His right arm sweeping out in an open gesture emphasizing his words.

"And lastly, because we can help you. Surely your observations have given you enough of an understanding of what Lord Siham is and the mastery he commands. My own talents are humble in comparison, but not without use."

His stance now more centered and at rest he smiles.

"I have often found in situations such as we find ourselves in, it is but the lack of knowledge that leads to violence. Being as we each know so little about each other, I think there are rather simple ways to fix that. Ones that do not need to involve swords."

- Go tell that to the Bull of the...

Someone knocks twice on the trapdoor.

- Knock knock!

- It's oooopeeeeen!

The trapdoor opens, letting in both the lights of few torches, and a greater darkness.

A handsome man dressed in tight black leather and a rich black fur coat walks in. His face is pale and perfect.

- Copper told me there were some corpses to interrogate.

He looks at the four in the room and smiles at the Lion.

- While I am disappointed, you really shouldn't kill them.

I'm pretty sure that there can be more variance than this on Aby looks, but it's just irresistible to make them look anything else.

Argis steps back a half turn to note the visitor while keeping an eye on the Lion. In his mind dossiers shuffle. Perhaps it is another.. and yet.

"Well, you hold among your trusted a member of the Broken Circle. That is interesting news. And yet you can give no small measure of trust for Lord Siham?"

Argis looks more curiously upon the cold countenance of the Lion. Who is this to you. And so many whys...

"I am glad your friend," watch for a reaction "agrees with me on the last bit though. Since what you want is knowledge let me provide you a solution, or at least the start of one."

A tug at his heart causes more pause than he would have liked. He had thoughts on a journey from Nexus to parts unfamiliar in search of Shiana. He put aside her face and words Fangs had said.

"I will agree to remain in Nexus until Lord Siham returns to discuss a formal diplomatic position, or three months. Lord Siham, I believe that should give you sufficient time to arrange a suitable meeting with the Lady Ennia either through me or other methods. Lady Ennia, that should give you time to do likewise, and in the interest of friendship, I shall make myself available to you to serve in the role of emissary or ambassador perhaps." A smile suggesting perhaps it would be a stretch to suggest that as the correct term. "I am willing to agree to an oath on such conditions, and I am sure something about not bringing harm" a curious eye wanders over the abyssal's face "to the city of Nexus would be required of me, yes?"

- I am about to take your life and the Solar's, and what you offer me is to run errands for me, assuming that I will trust you to? Does the Dynasty know no shame?

- Ennia, please.

- Shut up, you abomination!

The Deathknight responds with a slanted, exasperated glance to her, which seems enough to quiet her for a few moments.

- Lord Argis. You won't fail to appreciate that Lady Ennia has a point. Your offer is left wanting. Indeed, we could more easily dispose of you permanently or even impose on you rather burdensome oaths in exchange of your lives.

While I know for a fact that you have been working tirelessly against the Mask of Winters and for this alone I'd wish your lives spared, this may not be enough to convince Lady Ennia or the rest of the Shining Circle.

Changing speech colors not to kill my eyes off. Let me know if it's readable.

"Abomination?" Repeated Siham, raising an eyebrow. He turned his back on the Lioness, it having been made abundantly clear to him that she was a bully and a thug concerned only with imposing her own will on people. He had no time for someone like her, not when there was someone who was actually willing to be reasonable. "My good sir Deathknight, I would like to personally apologize to you for that atrocious slur. Might I know your title, so that I might address you as an equal?" He asked, extending his hand to the Abyssal in a clear gesture of friendship.

I would like to point out that Siham explicitly did not ask for the Abyssal's name, which Abyssals are forbidden to do on pain of Neverborn punishment. He is being exceptionally polite and accommodating to the Deathknight because he's doing exactly the right things that would ender someone to Siham: Be polite and reasonable.

"My offer was merely a suggestion. If you have a more preferable arrangement, I am all ears. My interest remains that of Siham and Nexus as I believe has been made rather clear." I would be most curious to hear your sane person's version of why cold blooded murder of people that offer you no ill will is justifiable as well, but perhaps that is just wishful thinking..

3m, Madness-Analyzing Stare on Ennia

[dice]6623[/dice]

personal 7/13

wp: 5/6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back