• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Emojis being the defaults?

Clairvoyance

I'm a bad bitch, you c'aint kill me.
Firstly, this isn't like a bashing on the new emojis or anything like that. I'm not here to suggest you bring the old ones back, Staff. (I actually think some are quite cute...)

I simply want to ask why emojis are automatically inserted when you do the smiley face, winky face, etc. I don't mind that much, but sometimes I just want a simple colon and parentheses instead of an emoji. Couldn't it be like on (most) phones, where you can just add emojis if you want?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure this was like that before as well, actually! I think most of the reason is that there's no reason (grammatically speaking) to put things like colons and  parentheses beside each other. We'll consider your suggestion, though! :)

For the most part, the character combinations that result in emojis now are the same ones that we had before.  I did add a few new ones, but like Meredith said, they're all unusual combinations so they shouldn't come up much (for example, "^3^" now gives you ^3^  ).  As you can see, putting other punctuation in will keep it from turning into an emoticon (as long as the new character combination isn't itself an emoticon, of course).  You can see what the character combinations for each emoticon are by clicking on the Emoticon button (little smilie face on the bar above the text box) and hovering over each one.  Note that you'll need to click on Categories and then to FeatGhost to see all of the new ones; by default it only shows 21.

I do know that on the old system, I was able to type "xD" without getting an emoji out of it. I typed it all the time and it always stayed as letters. I would love to be able to do that again and I thought I had made the suggestion before. No one ever commented on it if my memory serves me right, though. 

You can add a space in between to avoid it switching over.  Also I don't think I used any = so you can use those for eyes?

: )

=)

@DaughterofAthena: You're right, it wasn't being used as an emoticon code before.  I've adjusted accordingly as XD doesn't really look like the emoticon to me anyhow. ^;3^

Just a quick question,why is it set up in a way that when i type an imoticon it always uses the new ones?

I believe it had been a popular motion for new emoticons to be created.  Therefore, they have become the default. :)

And if you preferred the other ones, they're still there. You just have to actually go and search for what you want and you can't just type it in to get it. 

No emoticons have been removed, since I figured there would be some that like the old ones better and I didn't want to force changes like that.  The text codes have changed to the new emoticons, but there are new codes for the old ones (if that makes sense).  For example, ":)" is now :)  , but you can get :smile1:  by typing ":smile1:".  For the most part I just used smile1, smile2, etc.  Some of the old emoticons don't have analogues in the new set, so their codes haven't changed, like "O.o" O.o  .

yeah figured that out. Just annoying to use/remember the new codes.

Also damn the new ones creep me out (off course thats personal taste)

I kinda wish this was the way it was...  I'm an old fashion type and emojis that arent the classic text kind, just arn't my style....  It takes a lot for me to like this kind of art, so what I say next should be taken lightly.

As an artist I figure the creater was trying to make the eyes big so they look friendly...  Heh...  To me they look emty and void of emotion...  almost dead and scary.  Annnd that just dosen't work when I'm trying to write a happy post to make someone laugh or smile. :) :D   D:< :O :P :(   So that's my $0.02 on the matter...  But like I said, I'm difficult to please on this matter...  Annnnd I do not in anyway believe I could do any better of a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back