• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Embers of a Shooting Star (Private)

Characters
Here
From the Ashes,
The Phoenix Rise.
But at what Cost?

- Jhon Steperan XV, 1868 BM

Chapter One
The sun rose high above the city of Sor, its warm rays reflecting off the lakes and the run-down canals that streamed from the Red Bay in the south. In the north, grand buildings and towers rose up on the hills, home to the rich looking down to the streets below, jammed with people. Higher still, the skies of Sor were polluted with ships instead of people, thousands of them dotting the sky and creating strange shadows no cloud could compete with.

Over the bridge that connected the central city to the outer islands, stood a tall, beautiful palace carved from marble and adorned with dark, stained wood. Its stone walls reached the edge of a beach where waves rose and fell gently against almost white sand. A grand path lined with palm trees and tropical flowers led up to the castle gates, guarded by men in yellow and blue uniform. Civilians strolled along the beach periodically, walking their pets or sitting to eat lunch, whilst a few cars trundled in and out of the palace. It was a paradise, and the Royal Family of Sor’s home.

The noon light shone over the palace courtyard where there was a distinct smell of fresh spring grass and sweet wafting fragrances of blooming ginger and capima lilies. Several Royal Guards had begun their daily patrols – they marched past the palace gates, into the courtyard littered with ornate fountains, and finally back to their outpost. The returning patrol nodded to two city guard officers who were just beginning to enjoy a lunch break. From the other side of the patio, a warm breeze carried the sound of gentle strumming to the guards, through weathered stone archways that were covered in vines. Dappled light peeked through the foliage of a large oaken tree that stood in the center of the garden, its branches swaying softly against a blue spring sky.

Against the tree sat Lady Elisiana. Her eyes were closed, body swaying to the soft melody she had played a thousand times before. The world around her seemed to stand still and listen, captivated by the moment, including a pair of soft brown eyes that watched from the shadows of the open stone corridors connected to the palace. Those eyes belonged to Princess Lenora, the fifth child of the royal line and the youngest at the age of fifteen.

Sweet Lenora was of no particular consequence, for there was no threat of succession thanks to her older siblings, thus she spent most of her days learning how to be a lady. Marry a noble man. Be a good wife. Bear many children. Be a good mother. Live a boring, wealthy life. Be terribly ordinary. She was almost a perfect, inconsequential princess for the Royal Family, except for the slight problem that Lenora was born a Phoenix.

The Phoenix, since the dawn of written history, were a threat to civilization. They were humans, like all others, only they could bend fire and, less commonly, other powers of nature to their will. The Treaty of the Crosses in 1450 was a written agreement signed by all reigning systems at the time that all Phoenix citizens would be either killed or exiled to the frigid mountains of the planet Bao.

In the year 1892, the Helexicon Empire, capitalizing on their recent expansions into the south, sent agents to Bao. They unleashed the Phoenix on the Northern systems, dressed in silver armor and capes, and the Dormans, the Neahians, and the Bakos fell to the power of the Phoenix Knights and the Helexicon Empire. Thus began a hundred-year reign of violence and oppression in the universe.

Only one world resisted the Phoenix, the holy world of the Matran, who formed an army under the watchful eye of their God and fought back. The Phoenix, though more powerful, were severely outnumbered by the commoners, and in the North every Phoenix warrior, and any family of theirs, were hunted and killed. The Common folk won.

The Helexicon Empire collapsed, its once mighty reach condensed into a small fringe in the east, and in its wake new systems loyal to the Matran were formed. The liberated worlds created new governments, much of their culture and way of life now derived from their Helexicon conquerors. The Kingdoms all resigned the Treaty of the Crosses in 1839, again ordering that all Phoenix were to be hunted and killed until their blight would be forever rid from the universe. The remaining Phoenix Knights were disbanded and slaughtered, and, on the Capima Islands, in the city of Sor, the capital of the newly created Sora System, the Knights were reborn: now as an order loyal to the Kingdom and open to all men and women of the system. They became the right hand of Sor, an army led by the Matran.

400 years later, and the Sora System had prospered greatly, but the Phoenix were not forgotten. They were still feared and hated. Even innocent little princesses, such as Lenora, were not immune to the prejudice, despite her unfortunate fate to be one. Thus while Lenora spent her days learning how to best serve the realm of Sor, a recent movement concerning the known Phoenix members of the Royal Family was reaching a climax.

Realistically, Phoenix were only a small part of the universe's population, and in the Sora System there were even less of them. Still, there were at least eight known living Phoenix connected to the Royal Family. Many of them had distant, questionable connections in their lineage, but there were three, including herself, who called the palace home.

The first was Lenora’s great uncle, who lived in the high towers of the Royal Palace and rarely left his chambers. He was an old, frail man who had outlived most of his siblings, including her grandfather, and had always been kind to his nieces and nephews despite his introversion. The second was herself, unimportant as she was, and the third was the wild redheaded girl, her cousin, Lady Elisiana, who played music in the courtyard and bathed in Sor’s sunlight.

Elisiana was only a few years older than Lenora, and the two girls had much in common, so Lenora saw her cousin as more of a sister. A friend. Elisiana had taught her not to be ashamed of her powers and of herself, despite the whispers in the court and the pointed, mean looks that were thrown their way whenever they ventured into the public eye. For that she was forever grateful.

Lenora tiptoed into the grassy knoll of the yard, careful not to let herself be known. She approached Elisianna, who was still lost in the music, and with a light touch, let her fingers crawl up her cousin’s shoulder like a spider. Elisianna jolted in surprise and swung around, her expression turning from fear to a grimace when she saw her younger cohort laughing at her.
“Don’t stop!” Lenora grinned, seating herself under the tree beside Elisiana. “I like to hear you play.”

Elisiann’s bright green eyes squinted at the one who had disturbed her. “What are you doing here, Nora? I thought you were with Miss Tawny, learning how to poop like a lay-dee!”
“Hah! If only,” Lenora picked at the grass beneath her legs. “Classes were canceled. Please keep playing.”

Lady Elisiana began to play her guitar once more, this time her eyes locked on to her cousin whose pale blue skirts were spread out on the lawn like wings. “Why were they canceled?”
“Who knows!” Lenora shrugged. “Apparently something is going on with the Knights. I heard the word ‘Guardian’ in there.”

“That Phoenix division?” Elisiana moved her fingers along the strings like it was second nature. “Strange.”

“No more strange than you not showing up to class any longer. I miss you, Siana. Save me!” Lenora pleaded. But her cousin shook her head with a smile.

“My parents have given up on me, finally,” Elisiana said proudly. “I’m not going back to that stupid class with those stupid snotty ladies.”

This was news. The younger one blinked. “Given up?

“Mmm,” the redhead nodded. “I’m apparently a disgrace of a daughter who will never see a penny of my inheritance.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry, I didn’t know…” the princess pursed her lips but Elisiana grinned.

“I’m not sorry! Good! They can go to hell! I’ll make a living off of music and become super rich and famous without my family.” Despite her harsh words, the melody remained like velvet.
Lenora smiled, “Can I come?”

Elisiana stopped her playing and pulled Lenora into a hug, fiery red hair spilling down around their embrace, “You’d better. Just don’t sing, or else you’ll scare all of our loving fans away!” They both laughed, and then sat back on their elbows, not caring if their skin became grass stained or if their skirts were pulled up above their knees. A pause of silence overcame their conversation while they enjoyed the delightful wafting scent of the lilies around them.

“They’ll come around, Siana,” the princess said, turning her head to look at her cousin. “Your parents. They love you.”

Elisiana shrugged, “Maybe. I’m just tired of being treated like a freak.”

“Yeah, me too.”

This brief moment of peace and respite in the warm afternoon sun of the palace courtyard would be the last that either of them would have; for that very night, the tensions in the Sora System came to a head, and the Royal Family declared a civil war. The Phoenix division of the Knights, the Guardians, were declared traitors and their base on Larenska attacked by all the power Sor could muster. All across Sorillian space, Phoenix families were torn apart or cast away to neighboring systems such as Ulfire, or chased down to the area of space known as the Dark Worlds, which no governing forces ruled over.

Many were slaughtered on the grounds of the royal palace, including the fifth daughter of the King, Princess Lenora, and the King’s old uncle, Lord Orris, who never stood a chance against the invading Knights. Those who tried to save them were cut down like trees and added to the pile of innocent bodies.

Only one member of the Royal Family survived what would come to be known as the Extinguishing Night of Sor - Lady Elisiana, the King’s niece. She was smuggled onto a cargo ship leaving the Capima Islands, and forced to witness her uncle murder his own family, his own daughter, to maintain the purity of their bloodline. She watched with bloodshot eyes and a heavy heart as the city of Sor disappeared from below the ship that ascended into the skies, stared blankly as the planet grew smaller, so small, like a tiny dot in the horizon until it finally vanished from sight completely.

In the distance, before they left the Sora System, a single shooting star fell from the skies, leaving a thin trail of embers in its wake.

A winter storm was hitting the space colony known as Asteroid Eight, forcing flight restrictions on civilian inbound and outbound ships. Though the colony was famously revered for its year round winter wonderland, this blizzard made the asteroid look as though a child held it in its grasp and was shaking it like a snow globe. A flurry of wind and flakes that battered the windows of lodges, homes and holiday inns that lay nestled against white ski slopes. Everyone was huddled inside today, waiting for the storm to pass with hot drinks, and fires blazed against stone hearths to keep them all warm. In one such lodge, aptly named the Tempest Stay, a man named Wing sat with a hot mug of coffee grasped in both hands and watched a few children play with toys by the fire in the middle of the two story room. Most tables around him were filled with people chatting, eating and playing games while they waited for the storm to pass. Nearby, at the bar, a gruff looking man tinkered with a radio that cut in and out of static every now and then, never voicing more than two droning words at a time. It was hard to get any news at the moment. Still, perhaps it was for the best, particularly for someone who wished to lay low for the time being.

Asteroid Eight was as good a place as any for that sole reason. It was a colony formed on the outer rim of the Sora System and used as a popular holiday destination for Sorillians. Although it was privately owned, the Kingdom of Sor had been trying to purchase it for many years, but at the current time it was a neutral governing asteroid colony. Since the destruction of the Guardians, Wing had been staying here to evade the Knights that were still after him. The last contact he had had with the Guardians was an energetic girl named Yuen who had radioed him on his way out from Larenska.

“Ss-kksh - in. Come in - sskk - Wing? Wing is that your - ssk - ship? If you can hear me, Darius is - kssskh - north. He told me to tell you that - ssskhsk - and Tera - khsssskh - lay low. Lay low and stay - ss - sskshk - safe.”

The transmission had cut out after that. The fate of the Guardians, Wings friends, were unknown. Darius was north, that was all he could make out from the message, but he would be fine. Probably. So Wing stayed here, trying to form some sort of plan and escape Sor.

“Gahd damn!” the gruff radio man swore, banging his device on the bar, “You piece of junk! Work, gahd damn it! Work!”

A few patrons turned to look at him with annoyed expressions. Wing watched on absentmindedly. The man slapped the side of the radio three times, and on the third a spring fell out, rolling off the bar and onto the floor with a soft clink. Suddenly, to the surprise of the man, the radio started to work with perfect clarity. He scratched his head and placed it down, “Well, I’ll be damned!”

Many people tuned in to listen to the serious voice that seemed to be talking about something grave, everyone desperate for a small piece of news, but what they heard was grim indeed. “Last night Princess Lenora, daughter to the King of Sor, and Lord Orris, uncle to the King of Sor, were executed for crimes against the crown. Lady Elisiana, niece of the King of Sor, was also found guilty of crimes against the crown, but has yet to be found. All who conspired against the King will be punished, including the King’s brother Lord Harrien and sister-in-law Lady Nieve, who are said to have helped their daughter escape the capitol.

Around Wing, several people gasped, and he noticed that most of the lodge was now tuned in to the news, which continued, “The Kingdom of Sor has since released a decree against all Sorillian Phoenix, who are now declared enemies of the crown. Any Phoenix who are found within Sora System’s borders will be executed on sight. It is deemed treasonous to fraternize or collaborate with any Phoenix. We must remember our dark history and learn from our ancestors' mistakes.

With that, the radio went silent.

Last edited:
"H-huh?" Vi stuttered, her already pale face losing whatever blood it had in it, reducing her to ghost-like quality. Luckily, her reaction wasn't completely out of proportion to the rest of the patrons, many of whom looked quite shaken. It wasn't like the Phoenix had been, well, loved or anything for the past thirty years, but many had assumed that Sor's policy towards them had shifted. The Guardians had been a part of the Knights for the last decade, and although the news wasn't exactly paraded around, everyone knew the Guardians were Phoenix.

"Crimes against the crown?" another patron said, as Vi tried to pull herself together. "Was there an attempted coup?"

"Could be," the second man at the table whispered back in a lower tone. "Could be anything really. But why the decree?"

Vi pulled her hood up higher self-consciously over her blonde hair, so blonde it was nearly white. Her light blue eyes flitted about the bar nervously. This was the last thing she needed right now!

A sleek but battle-worn blue and yellow military shuttle landed with a thud on one of Asteroid Eight's deep craters. Unlike the many designated landing zones amidst the colony, this landing zone was privatized. Only dignitaries, celebrities, and military officials were allowed access; in this instance, it was the latter. It wasn't long before the hatch opened and descended upon the stony ground. Soon after, a squadron of armored soldiers exited in a single file line. Their adamant armor was crafted from the finest blacksmiths in the Sora System and retrofitted with the latest technology. They were trained at some of the most prestigious of military academies across all the known systems. Their skill and honor were said to be unmatched as was their prowess in battle and strategical thinking. They were known as the Steadfast Shields of Sor.

They were Knights. And this was their Vanguard.

The Knight Vanguard's purpose was to seek out great threats to the Kingdom, be they man or beast and either take them in or put them down. Meracores devouring livestock? Fugitives of the state? If the threat were big enough, they would be sent to heed the call. It was due to their efforts that many bounty hunters and other mercenaries were often pushed back to operate on the fringe of Sor or within the criminal underbelly just to find a gig with decent pay. As such, many such figures were unhappy at the sudden arrival of the vanguard...to a certain extent.

After all, it couldn't have been a coincidence for a contingent to arrive so soon after that rather unexpected announcement. Were there Phoenixes present on Asteroid Eight? And if so, what was the bounty to take one down? It wouldn't be easy, but...if this was a decree from the highest order, the pay was sure to be handsome. Even the bounty hunters, who were Phoenix themselves couldn't help but think this offer over with heavy consideration...but if any of them tried anything now, with those Knights approaching... all hell could break loose. Best to play it safe.

"Asteroid Eight...I'd always wanted to vacation here," Sentrius Tetran noted, taking in the sights with a deep exhale. He was a proud man, one could tell from his posture. His armor gleamed in the moonlight. "Who would've expected our hunt would lead us here..." he whispered to his compatriots. A massive lance and shield lay at his back hanging from his cape, the blade split down the middle, which glowed with a red stream of plasma. "As such, I would like to remind everyone, we are simply here to scope out the area for Phoenix presence. Nothing more. I doubt the poor sods will show themselves in any case..."

"You almost sound sorry for them, Tetran..." another Knight, Snizel, sneered. Among the twenty or so marching from the ship, he was one (of many) who had quickly grown tired of Tetran's constant reminders of their various protocols as Knights. Their unit was handpicked about a year ago, but every speech from the lance-wielding vanguard's mouth felt like it took a decade off of his life. "I feel more sorry for us. Remember that Phoenix bandit ring? Never seen "scorched earth" rendered so literally in me life! Took out a whole battalion with those spells, y'know?"

"I do know. I was there," Sentrius reminded the Knight. "If these Phoenix truly are the heinous criminals the commander deems they are, then they deserve nothing less than the taste of cold steel. However, Knight Protocol suggests that all citizens under the crown are protected entities," he said, placing a fist into his palm. "'Unless proven to be a significant and willing threat to another's life, a Knight must not raise his blade against a foe in haste.' Article 2, Subsection E of the Knight Handbook," Sentrius quoted. "Of course, the Knight Superiors know of this, and the Crown most certainly does as well! That's why these orders to execute on sight must be some sort of mistake! As such, I will request an audience with the superiors as soon as we return to Banesveld Station!"

"Yeah, I'm sure they'll be lining up to hear another speech of yours," the other Knight chuckled.

"Five years now, I have served my station honorably!" Sentrius retorted. "Surely they would want to hear of any concerns from a rising star amongst the ranks of the most decorated military organization in the cosmos! ...That said, it does usually take, what five business days to hear back from them?"

The Knight Vanguard marched onward, passing the decontamination checkpoint, as their armor was sprayed with a quick blast of water before they passed through the main gate to enter Asteroid Eight. As they did, it was like the atmosphere instantly changed. The magnetic locks at the bottom of their greaves loosened and the Knights were greeted with the sight of a veritable winter wonderland. It was as if the atmosphere had entirely shifted.

Gravity levels were normal and oxygen was abundant. As was snow. Sentrius lifted up his visor, letting the cool air hit his face as the snow crunched beneath his grieves. He had light brown skin and slicked-back, shoulder-length black hair (to exact military regulation, of course.) His eyes peered out, unable to see hardly anything amidst the harsh blizzard.

Last edited:
The pouring rain did little to wash away the dirt and blood clouding Wing’s right eye. He struggled to catch his breath as he raised his blade to parry the Emerald-clad knight’s attack. The blades connected, and Wing’s skittered off to the side as he fell to one knee. He listened as the Knight laughed, raising his sword to finish off the young Guardian.
Wing struggled to comprehend why they were fighting. The Knights and Guardians were on the same side, weren’t they? As the Knight’s blade fell, Wing reached out for the power inside him, begging it to come to his aid despite the burning in his muscles. He threw his hand out and felt the rush of air erupt from his body. The Knight cried out in confusion as he found himself sailing through the air and into the trunk of a nearby tree. The wood cracked with the impact, and the Knight crumpled as leaves and branched rained down around him.
With his enemy subdued for the moment, Wing felt his body fall forward into the mud.
“Just two minutes, two minutes, and I’ll be good, I promise,” He muttered, fighting to keep his eyes open.
After he managed to catch his breath, Wing pulled himself from the mud and retrieved his sword from the ferns it had forsaken him for.
He looked over to see the Knight he’d fought still crumpled at the base of the now felled tree, a large branch pinning him to the ground, the life gone from his once wicked eyes.
“It didn’t have to be this way,” Wing whispered, rubbing the dirt and blood from his eye with his equally dirty sleeve.
He needed to get back to their base of operations to see who was still alive and what their plan was. His radio had gone with his helmet, abandoned after taking a pommel to the side of the head. He had been grateful the helmet had dented instead of his head, but it left Wing flying blind.
He knew these woods and trails, yet they all felt foreign now, sinister. Thunder clapped overhead as the rain poured as if Laurenska itself was crying, condemning the needless bloodshed.
This was his home, his safe haven; now, those he trusted and respected had turned on him and the others. He had to know why. He needed to get back to the barracks and regroup. He needed to know his family was safe.
He was so preoccupied with thoughts of what could have happened that he missed the Knight shouting for him to halt, the swing of the blade, and any opportunity to defend himself. The blade cut into his right shoulder and bore through the bone, threatening to rip his body in half as his weakened armor buckled and failed. All he could do was cry out in pain as the metallic taste of blood filled his mouth.
“D-Darius!” Wing managed to exclaim as the nerves in his arm began to ignite and fizzle out.
All at once, Wing felt himself being pulled away from the blade sawing into his clavicle while the rain turned to steam as the air surrounding him and the Knight grew unbearably warm. The fireball that accompanied the flash of steel left little more than the Knight’s boots in the dirt.
Darius pulled Wing up and injected him with a stim pack. The medicine coursed through his veins, inhibiting Wing’s pain response and trying to close the wound. Wing felt the adrenaline kick in, and Darius pulled him along. They still needed to get to the barracks. There was no time left to rest or argue.
The two ran silently, Darius ever vigilant and Wing focused on not bleeding out. Questions burned at the back of Wing’s throat, but he knew now wasn’t the time to ask or expect Darius to know the answers.
Wing could see the barracks ahead, but Darius motioned for Wing to take a left, taking them off the path and towards the hanger. Guardians and Knights clashed among the small aircraft, bodies littered the runway, and many of the aircraft lay in ruins. The Knight dropships had come and gone so quickly, leaving nothing but death in their wake, taking any hope of escape with them.
Wing watched as Darius stopped to inspect a small craft.
“Get in,” he commanded.
“What?”
“Get. In.” He said again, louder.
“It’s only got one seat, wher-“
“I’m not going with you, and you’re going whether you like that answer or not.”
Wing threw his hands up in defiance, but Darius’s stare broke down the younger man’s defenses.
“You don’t have to do this, Darius,” He started, “I know I don’t look it, but I can help you. I can fight too!”
“There’s no time to argue, Wing,” Darius muttered, tapping in a sequence of commands on the ship’s controls.
“You know what needs to be done. Goodbye.”
The canopy closed before Wing could retort. The craft had been set to autopilot and began its launch sequence. Moments later, Wing watched as Laurenska grew smaller and smaller. A pale blue and green dot in a sea of stars. It had been the only place that had felt like home in he didn’t know how long, and now that feeling was tainted. With a small sigh, he made his way to the crew quarters of his craft and settled in. He wasn’t sure where Darius had sent him, but wherever he was headed wouldn’t be safe forever…

Wing’s grip tightened around his cup of coffee, which had gone cold hours before, as the radio played Sor’s decree, demonizing all Phoenix within its borders. Of course, for Wing, the order confirmed the harsh reality that had been the last two days. His cerulean eyes darted from patron to patron, each visibly confused by the news the radio had spat out, each unsure how to feel about the coming storm. He’d come here to escape, to survive, now the target on his back burned hotter than the blade that nearly cut him in two the morning before.

Scared murmurs washed over the cozy lodge, and despite the warmth of the fire an icy chill filled the air. Several people held their families closer at the news. Surely many of them knew Phoenix. Many of them perhaps were Phoenix.

It wasn't long before a voice by the window shouted out, "The Knights! I think that's the Knights!"

Though the blizzard made it near impossible to see, their unmistakable capes and armour appeared through the howling frost. The Knights had arrived on Asteroid Eight.

Wing's eyes darted toward the window at the exclamation that the Knights were coming. He watched as people held their companions tighter, the color draining from their faces.

"Yeah, we good riddance!" One man began, "If the Knights are rounding up those fire-wielding people, there must be a good reason!" A few people gasped, but no one challenged the man, some seemed to agree with him, and others tip-toed toward the back of the lodge, hoping to find an exit.

Wing stood, his chair flying into the wall behind him before shattering into splinters, the wall cracking from the impact. "This is genocide!" He shouted, eyes locked on the man who'd chosen his side. "Today, they come for Phoenix. What's stopping them from going after those in the Sor System from elsewhere when all the Phoenix are gone? Who will protect those that have committed no crime? The Knights are supposed to protect the people of Sor, not hunt them down for simply existing!"

"Yeah? Well, why do you care? You must be one of them if you're so worked up!" the man stepped toward Wing and was subsequently thrown over the bar and into the wall of spirits, glass shattering on and around his now limp form. Those who looked could see the man breathing, but none decided to take up the man's cause. A few nodded in Wing's direction, their hands aflame.

"I'll buy you all some time to get away from here," Wing began, "Get somewhere safe, never look back, and keep your heads low until the world comes to its senses..." The few Phoenix that had seemed willing to fight beside Wing understood they had no chance against the Knights and took Wing's advice, making their way for the back door.

"Here goes nothing..." Wing muttered, his hand on the knob of the front door, "Forgive me for being so reckless, Darius, but I can't just sit by and do nothing," A slight smirk crossed his lips, "You must have known that."

With one final, shaky, deep breath Wing opened the chalet door and stepped into the blizzard, ready to continue the fight he'd escaped only a few days before. "I. Won't. Run." He whispered through gritted teeth.

"H-hold on!" a call came from behind Wing and a hand grasped his arm. Vi had followed him outside, her hood falling back in her haste. Now the snow was collecting on her hair and eyelashes, but this didn't seem to bother the girl. "If you're really going to fight, I'll join. They're probably looking for me anyway."

Vi bit her lip. "This blizzard is going to slow the Knights down a lot. I can make sure of that. But I need a ship. You got one we can use?"

Wing turned and looked at the young woman following him into the blizzard. Every part of him screamed at him to urge her to run, never look back, and get somewhere safe. Yet the fire hidden behind her cool-colored eyes stopped him from speaking. Wing knew that look. It was the same look he'd given Darius as he'd programmed Wing's ship to leave Laurenska.

"I have a ship, single-seater; it's yours if you want it. I'll buy you enough time to get away from here," He sighed, seeing the determination in her eyes, sensing that she understood how conflicted he felt then. "I know you must be a Phoenix, but I don't think you understand what the Knights will do if they catch you..." He swallowed, trying to bury the memories from the massacre on Laurenska. "There won't be another chance, another tomorrow if we lose, I promise to give them hell, but I'll apologize in advance if it's not enough..."

He stared out into the raging blizzard, a quiet calm overtaking him as he felt the young woman's presence by his side. "I can't ask you to fight, nor will I force you to run, but understand that if you stay here, there won't be any turning back. You'll be giving up any chance for a normal life..."

"I told you, didn't I? They're probably here because of me in the first place," Vi said, shaking her head. "A single seater won't help me anyway, I don't know anything about flying. I hitchhiked my way here, thought it was far enough. Guess not."

She squinted at Wing. "Name's Vi, what's yours?"

"Hold on a tic..." Snizel noted, raising his rifle's scope to his eye and adjusting the sights. "Thought I saw shadows in the snow...There's a buncha folk makin' a run for it bout behind the lodge."

Sentrius approached, his arms folded, his insulated armor just barely staving off the harsh cold emanating from the blizzard. "Civilians?"

"Unlikely...don't suppose non-phoenixes gots anything to fear from the Knights," Snizel commented.

"That settles it then..." Sentrius nodded, beckoning the other Knights to step forward. "No more scoping out the town. People are barricaded in due to the blizzard, they're not liable to let us in and we have no right to invite the cold to their doorstep!"

"Oh yeah? And what if these fine homeowners are phoenix, Tetran?" another Knight sneered.

"Does the Knight Handbook have a clause for breaking and entering?!" Sentrius chided back. "That was rhetorical, it most certainly does not! Snizel's scoped out suspicious individuals fleeing the lodge! And we are simply customers on official military business seeking refuge from the cold. They have no reason not to welcome us!"

With that said Sentrius Tetran marched his way towards the front doors of the lodge and gave it several mighty knocks as his heavy gauntlet ba-THUMPEd against the oaken doors...

Wing turned to look at the young woman thoroughly. Her beauty was captivating, and he could feel the fire to stand and fight emanating from her. "Vi," he began, "These Knights are here for everyone that possesses the power of the Phoenix. You could run with the others. It's the smart move, the move that means living another day-" A pounding rattled the door before the pair, stopping Wing's train of thought; time had run out. He felt his pulse rise and the blood rushing in his ears. "Please, Vi," He pleaded, "Go with the others. I will hold them off!" When she didn't budge, Wing shook his head, gripping the door knob. "Wing." He mumbled, hanging his head. "My name is Wing."

Vi pressed her lips together as Wing reached out to grab the doorknob. It was time. She gave only one quick warning to her companion. "Keep yourself warm, Wing."

Phoenix used fire - everyone knew that. It was the most widely associated magic in the universe. Born from ash, and all that. But like most stereotypes, it was hardly the truth. Fire had never been in her blood.

Vi's eyes glowed softly as she raised her hands, the temperature dropping considerably in the room. Her breath blew out of her mouth in a wave of vapor as Wing opened the door. Behind it, the Knights stood, their helmets covering their faces. It was almost too bad, she would have liked to see their surprise as the blizzard wrapped itself around the soldiers and froze them in place.

"Now's our chance," Vi said to Wing, running forward into the storm. "Go!"

"C-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-cold," one of the Knights whined.

A small, sleek ship landed a bit outside the town. From it, came additional knights, a handful, almost nothing compared to those under Tetran's command. Only one had her helmet off, red eyes gazing upon the white landscape, the missing gear tucked underneath her arm. A strand of black hair fell into her vision and she gently brushed it away as she noted she was overdue for a haircut.

"Knight Commander Garrett," one of the knights spoke, an older woman who Nai recalled as Balya Ektal. Nai didn't turn to face her as she spoke but Ektal didn't seem phased at all. "Tetran's forces have just arrived as well. Are we to join them?"

Nai paused, conflicted. Ektal waited patiently and the other knights shifted slightly, refusing to turn to look at each other though they all knew what the other was thinking. Nai noted the shift in the mood however. She took her helmet into her hands and gazed at it for a few moments, at her own reflection in the metal.

"No," she finally said, putting her helmet on her head, making herself unrecognizable. The other four knights fell in line behind her. Knight Ektal was last.

"We are here to ensure this purge is thorough but not interfere with the work of the Knight Vanguard. Any suspected phoenixes in danger of escaping will be executed on sight. All except those on the list we were given at base. Am I understood?"

~*~

The townspeople hadn't expected two groups. They still didn't when they saw a lone, armored figure in the distance. Their steps slowed in confusion and the armored individual turned to them, sword drawn. The people began to scramble back towards the inn but more figures began to walk out, a whimpering child in Nai's arms. She raised a single hand, one finger to her lips, as she pressed her dagger closer to the child's neck.

None would be spared.

Wing didn't hesitate to rush into the flurry of snow. The young woman was a gifted Phoenix, and he wondered if the entire storm was her doing. In an instant, the wind wielder stood before the first Knight caught off guard by the cold explosion. Wing grabbed the Knight's helmet with the wind's assistance, wrenching it off before his free hand collated with the stunned man's face. Wing jumped over the Knight as he fell into quickly accumulating snow. The second Knight had drawn his blade and was eager to take Wing's head off, but he wouldn't get the chance. A small gust of wind forced a more significant gap between Wing and the Knight, giving him all the time he needed to unsheath the blade of the still-stunned Knight.

"You come here as Knights of Sor to purge the Phoenix, yet you defile the oath you all took by bringing weapons! You are not simply peacekeepers, you are a death squad, and I will ensure you do not leave this place!" Wing stood with his stolen blade at the ready, his resolve as solid as the ice forming on his opponent's armor.

"F-freezing...." Sentrius shook in his armor, as it frosted over. The ice spread quickly, and Sentrius had placed his shield in front of him to block the assault to little avail. Fortunately for him, his shield was equipped with countermeasures to circumvent such magic in case of an emergency. If only he could activate it as the layer of ice covered his gauntlets.

The lever was on the back of his shield...with a little maneuvering....Sentrius fell forward, landing on his shield, his chin pressing against the lever which activated a sprout of hot heated steam. The heat would end up being more than a little uncomfortable but it was more than preferred over being turned into an ice sculpture.

The steam enveloped Sentrius and several others, thawing them out of their frosty casings and Sentrius stumbled to his feet, drawing his lance as quickly as he could to face down the young phoenix and his stolen blade. "Let go...of that sword! It's the property of a Knight of Sor! And on behalf of the Kingdom of Sor..." Sentrius began to demand, getting into a battle formation. "We have orders to put you down! Lay down your arms, however, and I assure you things will be settled far less violently."

A hand grabbed Vi's cold arm amidst the icy storm, it's vice-like grip threatening to leave a bruise, but when she turned to confront her attacker she would be taken aback by the face of the elderly man that had occupied the inn's room next to hers. She had seen them a few times, him and his wife, as they had offered her an extra blanket on her first night at the asteroid colony.

"You look cold dear." The old crone said as she pushed a knitted rug into Vi's arms rather forcefully. Her husband smiled, "They do good food here. Try the worm pie with a side of 'taters, it'll warm ye right up!"

Their contact had been minimal, yet the man now gripped Vi's hand as if his life depended on it. He spoke in frightened tones, "There's more of 'em, lass! Comin' from the back door. Darleen...oh...my Darleen..."

That's when she noticed the blood splattered on his knitted sweatshirt.

Last edited:
Wing's answer came as the clang of blades filled the snowy air. His sword and the one carried by the Knight commander locked in a desperate struggle for control of the fight. If Wing won, he'd still have a few more to take down, but if he lost, his mind refused to let him think of the slaughter that would follow. "There was a time I was allowed to carry this blade," Wing started through grit teeth, "But then the decree came, and suddenly I'm the enemy?" He sidestepped, unlocking their blades, hoping the Knight's momentum would get the best of him and give Wing the upper hand to take the fight. "I earned my place. I'm not letting you or anyone else tell me to kneel!"

"ENOUGH! If you insist on fighting, so be it! All able-bodied Knights get into formation! Our task is to capture this phoenix and any known associates! And should they offer any resistance, they'll die by the blade!" The Knights that had been thawed out formed a shield wall around Sentrius as he gave his rallying cry.

Tower shields held out in front of them, forming a wall around Sentrius' round shield as they all slowly ran pushed forward, and then with a sudden jolt, Sentrius' lance jabbed forward, soon followed by the blades of the other knights, a flurry of share implements raining down upon the defiant phoenix. Their intent was to push Wing backward, back into the lodge as they formed a wall around the exit, preventing his escape.

A strangled scream abruptly cut off from the back of the lodge.

Nai Garret.

Armored footsteps followed. In their wake were bodies and crimson stained snow.

For your bravery and honor in the field..

Nai led her fellow knights forward into the lodge, the whimpering child still in her hands, blade still pressed to his throat.

We bestow upon you the title of Knight Commander...

They all stopped as Nai stopped. In front of her, a dying man was clinging to a young woman. The same one whose name was on the list of those ordered to be captured alive.

So you may bring our vision to life and glory to the system of Sor.

"Do not resist," Nai called out coldy. "And you may be able to keep at least one person alive."

Wing smirked, allowing the wall of Knights to advance on him. "I'll show you how little you understand!" He shouted, swinging the blade he's stolen in a horizontal arc through the snowy air, a powerful gust flying from the frozen steel towards the Knights, ready to throw them all onto their backs.

Upon making contact with the torrential gust of wind, the knights were thrown backward, nay, it was more accurate to say they were launched like a catapult, sent spilling backward out of the inn through the entrance and landing onto the snow in a heap. All except one. Sentrius Tetran, shield in hand stood firm against the frosty gale, using his hand to grip the doorframe like a vice before he too was tossed out. His steely eyes glared defiantly at the Knight's would be prisoner. "I...will not yield. But you will!" he shouted as he tackled Wing, shield in hand, attempting to pummel the phoenix to the ground.

Vi slid between Wing's legs just before Sentrius' tackle landed, both palms thrusting up to slap against his midsection. Cold radiated from the area, slowing Sentrius immensely. Vi rolled to the side, her leg pivoting out and knocking Sentrius' own from underneath him.

"Now, let's go!" Vi urged Wing. "We can't win a fight right now!"

They were trapped. All of them. The lodge was surrounded by a wall of Knights, stark red blood painting the snow at their feet. Nai stepped in from the back holding a crying baby, glinting blade pressed to its chubby neck, and the old man that once clutched at Vi stepped forward.

"Please!" He whispered to Nai, old hands shaking in the air in surrender, "Please don't kill us!"

Suddenly, from behind Nai, a raging inferno blazed. Screams of pain sounded from the other knights, caught by surprise, as a blast of fire swept the back of the lodge. A huge fireball slammed Nai in the back, and although her armour protected her the force was strong enough to knock the wind out of her lungs. In surprise she dropped her tiny hostage. The old man leapt forward and caught the babe before crawling away from the crossfire. Capes burned in the blaze. Nai turned to see her fellow knights caught in a tornado of flame, their armour protecting them from most of the heat, but as the fire continued on the metal against their skin began to heat - burn. Singed hairs pressed against Nai's skin. The attacker could not be seen through the inferno.

On the opposite side of the room, no more than 20 meters away, a tornado of ice wrecked havoc on Sentrius and his men due to Vi's incredible power. They, too, were protected from the harsh cold, but as time went on they became slower, their armoured bodies harder to move. One of the Knights behind Sentrius moved erratically, swiftly, and Wing could hear the sounds of...surprise. Screams. Grunts of pain. A splatter of blood fell at Wing and Sentrius' feet, and when they looked up from their battle they realised that a lone Knight was slaughtering his own men through the raging blizzard. A traitor within Sentrius' ranks.

Vi could wait no longer. Her hands had gone numb from the cold, her own great power a danger to herself if used to these extremes. Ignoring the pain for just one more moment, Vi's hands touched the ground. A wall of ice leaped up between Sentrius and Wing.

"We have to get off this station," Vi pleaded. "There's a resistance... I need your help finding them."

"NO!" Sentrius exclaimed. as his men were gutted by one of their own. "What are you doing!" he cried out as Sentrius stood up in despair. "Stop!" he coughed, standing to his feet. "Tr-traitor!" he grunted, planting a lance into the floor to steady himself. "You can't do this! STOP!" Sentrius charged forward with a lunge at the treacherous Knight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back