• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Request Editors and authors wanted for game design

Hm. I think I get it. Would the Modules therefore look a bit like this?

1. Ask players the Module question/s according to genre

2. Consult Module for how to make use of the answers

3. Integrate answers into setting/plot as advised.

Would that be accurate? If so, I have nothing to add - it's very solid and functional.

Also, since Modus is something to which you can add or remove Modules, would it be possible to see the core module? The very first Module every game would use?

You mentioned it might also use dice in some capacity - do you have anything of that to show yet?

@Grey :Yep. More or less - since Modus is still in its early stages of development- I think you have a valid perspective on what I am trying to do. Although the concept of Modules is somewhat more expansive than what has been shown here. The only Module I've shown you is a peripheral prototype; one that is meant to have more than the sorry configuration I implied.

Regarding dice: My intention is to provide the players with as many possibilities as possible. Maybe you can be of help here; you have a firm grip on dice mechanics. I initially wanted Modus to be system-independent - but I think people need a native system if they have no other preference.

A classic dice pool system, D6s with 1/3 success rate per die, is what I have so far. I would love a clever, uncomplicated system, but it's really not my forte. So right now, that's what I am proposing as the native system. Any ideas are welcome.

Regarding "Core Modules": The concept behind Modus is just that; a concept without any final decisions on how to implement it. But the conceptual premise is strong; it simply needs form. Again, something you're good at.

The idea is that Modus would be able to emulate anything, including Crucible - that's the grand idea, so the entire challenge is how to present the concept without confusing the reader. In some ways, the challenge parallels the advice I gave you on Crucible about structure and its importance. If I had the time, I would be working on structure like it was the most important part (because in many ways, it is).

Modus could have a Module called Crucible containing the core statistics of your ruleset. Another Module could incorporate the derived stats; the point is, if I want my system flat, I will be able to pair your main stat Module with a simple skill Module without the derived stats.

So Modus is simply a structured way of hacking and fusing different systems together, while always having a native system to fall back on to fill in the gaps. Again, it's all about presentation; that's the challenge.

But enough about that; have you considered my advice on Crucible? Regarding re-structuring, presentation, etc. I think it is the last bit you need to make it truly ready for publication. What do you think?

@Grey and everybody else interested...

I need to clarify: Modus isn't just a hack'n'fuse product without original content. The ideal way of using it is to take the core Modules from Modus and then maybe tag on Modules that emulate other systems. These emulations can use both the native D6 system or the original mechanics. Let me give an example.

This is something I wrote up just to give you an example, so any questions should reflect that. It is simply a prototype meant to show how the system works in its most basic way.

Modus is a framework that can incorporate elements from several other games to create a unique game system. In this example - let's call it Apocalyptic Fate - I take the stats from AW and the Aspects from FATE.

As you might have guessed, I like Apocalypse World. I like the stats; they are simple and easy to get. They cover many different actions. I'll take that and use it as a Module with the native Modus dice system.

I also like FATE, mostly the Aspects. I am not so fond of the rest of FATE. I don't like the skill system and I think the FUDGE dice mechanics are dull. So let's take FATE Aspects and incorporate those too. We need FATE points too; bonuses and penalties are done in +1D or -1D, otherwise they work normally.

So we have a PC that is described by 6 "stats" (Hot, Cool, Hard, Sharp, Weird, Hx). In Modus, every game element is based on a simple concept, the Aspect Set (which is a set of Aspects - not to be confused with Aspects from FATE). Aspect Sets usually comprises 3,4 or 5 Aspects.

The next level is Modules that are a collection of Aspect Sets. A collection of different Modules is called a Template, which contain all the necessary game elements for a game with all the needed concepts. This example only contains 2 modules and does not constitute a Template.

The 2nd Module is based on the FATE Aspects. Modus uses its own configuration for how the Module works in tandem with the 1st Module. This is part of what Modus does; making different systems compatible.

So we have 1) stats from AW and 2) Aspects from FATE.

• HOT: 5D
  • COOL: 3D
  • SHARP: 4D
  • HARD: 2D
  • WEIRD: 1D

Aspects:

Battlefield Grace

6th Sense

Pro Compassion

Infirmary

Angel Kit

Hx:

Belch: +1D

Ronn: -1D

Egg:+1D

Tova:+2D

The rest should be easy enough to figure out; decide on a target number or number of successes (5-6 per die) is the best way to go (haven't tried myself, but I will be dealing with these choices in the book).

I hope that clears up a few things, even though the example is hardly fleshed out. Using the above example, you can play any game genre with a little goodwill - the missing pieces will be described in the book.

@eske - I've been thinking about the suggestions you made, yes. I've come up with some possible implementations I'm going to prototype - would you like a look when they're done? I intend to show them to existing players, maybe some new ones, and gauge responses. This is not to imply they weren't good ideas - I just like to have empirical data where possible.

People do like having a native system to retreat to.

Have you considered a Karmic System for the Modus base? Lemme take a leaf out of Tri-Stat here, and you tell me what you think.

Basic Character Module:

Body - The physical aptitude of the character; strength, agility, speed, grace

Mind - The mental aptitudes of the character; intelligence, wit, calculation

Soul - The social aptitudes of the character; charm, empathy, etc.

Players rate these by Good, Average, Bad (or ++, +, -).

A Good trait overcomes most challenges and beats Average or lower traits. An Average trait overcomes many challenges and beats Bad traits. A Bad trait will beat a few challenges but otherwise is likely to fail.

Advanced Character Module:

Add a Will trait. Players can spend Will to improve another Trait to beat a challenge (temporarily elevating a Bad trait to Average, for example).

Will might be recovered by choosing to fail a challenge or fulfilling a goal.

Dice Based Module:

The three core traits now gain dice pools of six sided dice: 6d6/3d6/1d6

Will could be spend to reroll/improve a result/add dice.

It kind of... spirals out from there. How does that sound to you? It allows for people to scale down below dice, if they want. Please don't mistake this for my trying to tell you how to write your game - I just find example-based brainstorming effective.

Strude said:
Can make it into an actual book, like a pretty PDF, in indesign.
indesign is a useful tool. Personally I'm content to worry about that later, or badger Alexandra into handling it.

@Grey : Sure, I'd love to see how you intend to implement my suggestions. I would like to know which suggestions you are contemplating? You can send me a sample page if you want more input before you try it out with the playtesters.

About Modus: I'm glad that you have some suggestions for it, and I will certainly take them under advisement and see if they are compatible with the rest of the system.

TriStat is a very good comparison to Modus; if you want the absolute minimum of rules, you can start a game with only 3 stats. You can even use the stat names and use it as a Module that works in tandem with other Modules.

I am working on finding more dice systems for the players to use. I am looking at Rich Rolling (with width and height) , and also a simple "roll under your stat" (ala Gurps) and the opposite, roll over a target value. The challenge is that the system has to be compatible with all the different Modules. I want the players to be able to choose which dice system they want to use.

@Grey again...

Another suggestion I have for your game is expanding the section on how to play the game. Go for the simplest advice possible so that everyone can jump into the game.

Modus begins with 10 "rules" that will seem redundant to experienced players, but if they're not in the book, the chance that the players will remember to use them is slim. It's a bit like the idea about pc sheets; if something isn't on it, it will not be used.

So don't worry about repeating concepts that have been around for years and years: Choose the concepts that you think are most important, regardless of how "cliche" it is.

You've already begun the process by introducing what you call "rule zero" - but you can go even more basic with the tips. Considering that you have commercial intentions, you have to take into account that non-experienced players will have a need for those basic concepts.

@Strude : if your offer extends to me, I would love to have you on the team. Graphics and layout are very important, and any help with that will be welcomed.

eske said:
@Strude : if your offer extends to me, I would love to have you on the team. Graphics and layout are very important, and any help with that will be welcomed.
Yes that offer was to you. I'm sure you're not at the point of needing a book designed, but I can help with that on the side. More practise the better right!

Last edited by a moderator:
@eske Presently my intention, based on what you suggested, is:

1. Use sidebars to integrate the rules into a sample scenario.

2. Try to cut down the setting elements to a paragraph a piece.

3. Integrate these two into a single document

4. Retain a variation on the current document as 'advanced content'.

Essentially, I'll end up with a quickstart which contains the bare minimum, plus a guide on how to play, and a meatier document for those who want to follow up on it.

I recalled your mention of a core three-stat module some posts back, so naturally TriStat sprung to mind. You may wish to be careful about trying to integrate elements of other systems, as it may be viewed as copyright infringement (even if you are not profiting, you would be more or less disseminating their systems freely without permission).

You could have a percentile module, perhaps? Allows for both roll over and roll under with plenty of variance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back