• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Request Editors and authors wanted for game design

Eske

Hey again,

I am currently writing a game that I would like to publish as a free PDF. But I have ambitions anyway, so I could use some help.

Give the setting description a read, and if you're interested, contact me.

Waste Space (temp name) is a game set in the far future, where the human race has taken refuge in large, derelict space stations around the galaxy. Earth is but a distant memory; humankind lives on the scraps and crumbs left behind by a once great civilization that has crumbled to dust centuries ago. People make do with the debris and spare parts they can find; remnants of when humankind lived in a technological paradise. Our Golden Age is over; all that’s left is bits and pieces.

The stations would be isolated from each other if it wasn’t for one communications protocol that is still functional, simply called the Network. It is not perfect; as with everything else in the Waste Space, technology is a luxury. But when it works, it enables the stations to keep in contact and work together to better the lives of their inhabitants.

The players are a rescue/investigative team sent out to investigate why certain space stations no longer are in contact with the main Network. But the team isn’t your typical tight-assed space marine crew; teams are often made up of people who have nothing else in their lives, people who really need the cash or really need to get away from something. Usually, they’re an undisciplined rag tag group of people that are forced together to keep stations up and running.

The reason for Network dropouts are many; sometimes, the problem is simply technical, but most of the time, there’s something dangerous or weird going on, and more often than not, it is not a pretty situation.

Living in space stations has a peculiar effect on people. They tend to get weird and unpredictable. Sometimes, the inhabitants of a station decide to cut the connection to the Network because of social issues; maybe they have started a fanatic cult. Maybe some power-hungry maniac has taken control of the station somehow. Maybe the technicians who took care of Network maintenance have all been killed off under mysterious circumstances.

A lot can go wrong on a space station, which means that the rescue team needs to have a wide range of skills. Sometimes, what’s needed is smarts and knowledge, sometimes the situation calls for social intervention . And sometimes, inhabitants need to be taken out of the equation the hard way.

When the team enters a space station that hasn’t been in contact for a while, they’d better be ready for anything.

Bright people who can write, and people who get great ideas for awesome concepts.

People who are good at rules and math.

Basically, if you have any creative talent, I can use you! :)

Hm. Well, good luck. If you ever need constructive criticism just say the word, but I don't work well in a group and I'm busy with my own projects.

Have to admit the pitch isn't grabbing me so far.

I would love some constructive criticism. Please, go ahead. I don't take offence, and I want to make the best possible product....

So far, I mainly have questions. Here's a big one: Why should I play this when the same tropes and structure are covered by (sometimes with slight modifications) Eclipse Phase, Savage Worlds, FATE, Apocalypse World, World of Darkness: Infinite Macabre, Rogue Trader, Traveller, and hell, even GURPS if I hated myself. What's the unique selling point? What makes this, if not better, than at least distinct from the competition?

If the stations are isolated, how do they help each other via the Network? What's the incentive for maintaining the Network? How are these intrepid maintenance crews chosen, supplied, and trained? How do they travel? Does anyone know how the situation came to be so dire?

Do players get any cool powers or advanced tech? Where does it rank on the Moh's Scale of Sci-Fi Hardness? Is it primarily action or horror? Heroic and optimistic or dark and cynical? Do you have any ideas about the system?

Grey said:
So far, I mainly have questions. Here's a big one: Why should I play this when the same tropes and structure are covered by (sometimes with slight modifications) Eclipse Phase, Savage Worlds, FATE, Apocalypse World, World of Darkness: Infinite Macabre, Rogue Trader, Traveller, and hell, even GURPS if I hated myself. What's the unique selling point? What makes this, if not better, than at least distinct from the competition?
Okay, that's a lot of questions....but good ones.

What makes this game special?

- The setting. (I only posted a small part of the fiction)

This was originally an Apocalypse World setting, but I think that the setting contains enough original stuff to make it into something more. Or it will be powered by AW, which would be the easiest (and perhaps best?) solution.

- A specific way of explaining how to actually play the game. The best thing AW did was to tell the player how to actually play the goddamn game - something that most other games don't do. I want to do the same, just better.

- A modular ruleset. Meaning that you can play the game with the basic rule module and only read a couple of pages of rules. But you can expand the rules as much as you want. (this is a system I've worked on called Modus)

Regarding your other fiction-oriented questions: those questions are still open for discussion. That's why I want people to supply ideas. The above text was actually a mod written for FATE, so the whole "network management crew" is not the only idea for what the players do in the game.

Please, more criticism!

...oh, and I agree with your opinion on GURPS. That game is torture; simulation/"realism" over fiction? No thanks.

Powered by AW is easy indeed. Whether it's best will have to wait.

Many games both tell you how and offer suggestions - AW is just so light that doing so occupies more space proportionately and is used as a bludgeon throughout. This is no bad thing, of course.

If you use AW, bam, fine. Modular as hell. Would you be willing to share this Modus? I like design and I'm curious to see.

Can you expand on the fiction in a way that makes it compelling? Telling me the setting makes it worthwhile is a poor substitute for showing me. I'm making no accusation, but based on what's there this sounds like you're presenting a bare-bones, unoriginal concept and then soliciting people to flesh it out.

Right now there seems to be no reason not to just use that as the jumping off point for an AW game and be done with it. There's even an AW game on the site right now which is set in a derelict space station.

Grey said:
Powered by AW is easy indeed. Whether it's best will have to wait.
Many games both tell you how and offer suggestions - AW is just so light that doing so occupies more space proportionately and is used as a bludgeon throughout. This is no bad thing, of course.

Would you be willing to share this Modus? I like design and I'm curious to see.

Can you expand on the fiction in a way that makes it compelling? Telling me the setting makes it worthwhile is a poor substitute for showing me. I'm making no accusation, but based on what's there this sounds like you're presenting a bare-bones, unoriginal concept and then soliciting people to flesh it out.

Right now there seems to be no reason not to just use that as the jumping off point for an AW game and be done with it. There's even an AW game on the site right now which is set in a derelict space station.
About RPGs being clear on how they should be played: An example is nWoD Vampire. It has some fantastic fiction, great writing, good system - but there is not one single paragraph on what the players are expected to do, except for sucking blood.

Regarding Modus, sure, I'll share it. I would actually love to get some feedback on it. Let me get back to that...

About the fiction of Waste Space, take a look at the log here:

https://waste-space.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log

8 sessions that each cover an aspect of the setting.

I'll check out that AW game to see if "my" game has already been done....

Oh, never let a similar precedent stop you, just bear in mind you might have to take the idea further, in new directions, to make it stand out.

Going to read and get back to you.

EDIT: The blog tells me very little. Here's what I learned:

- There's a centralized authority for maintaining the Network

- Humankind is at war with a race called the Drazeen, who appear to be monstrous and violent.

- Something called The Nomad Virus is connected to Drazeen.

- FTL is possible, but there are wormhole gates too (I'm assuming FTL ships are rare, and so wormholes are necessary for everything else).

- Stations tend to have slums.

There seem to be some entries missing, too.

Anyway - none of that comes across as interesting, and it's a long way from unique. I am reminded of Stargate, in particular, and Warhammer 40k, slightly.

I don't see any reason for this to be anything but an AW campaign. I do like the entry on station building, that's a useful feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have sent you a PDF of the Modus system, but the writing is incomplete and un-edited...so I'll give you the short version.

Modus is a multi-genre game that allows you to create games with as few or as many rules as you want. The idea is based on modules that contain a number of sets that consist of three attributes that describe a good aspect of your pc, an average and a bad aspect of your pc. The GM also uses modules to moderate the game. The modules focus on creating fiction that is unimpeded by rules; fiction trumps rules.

You can begin playing with the basic pc module without reading a line, and you can keep adding modules to describe your game into infinity. Even when you're playing the game, you can extend or collapse it by adding or subtracting modules, which allows you to change genres and type of game.

It is also independent of dice, although the basic style uses dice pools of D6s.

Modus can emulate other systems, or extend them by adding modules.

I know, that description raises a lot of questions, but Modus is really simple despite its depth.

Grey said:
Oh, never let a similar precedent stop you, just bear in mind you might have to take the idea further, in new directions, to make it stand out.
Going to read and get back to you.

EDIT: The blog tells me very little. Here's what I learned:

- There's a centralized authority for maintaining the Network

- Humankind is at war with a race called the Drazeen, who appear to be monstrous and violent.

- Something called The Nomad Virus is connected to Drazeen.

- FTL is possible, but there are wormhole gates too (I'm assuming FTL ships are rare, and so wormholes are necessary for everything else).

- Stations tend to have slums.

There seem to be some entries missing, too.

Anyway - none of that comes across as interesting, and it's a long way from unique. I am reminded of Stargate, in particular, and Warhammer 40k, slightly.

I don't see any reason for this to be anything but an AW campaign. I do like the entry on station building, that's a useful feature.
There might be some text missing after OP changed its core system, but you got most of it - that is, the FATE mod I was talking about. And no, it's not truly original, but if it were to be an AW game, it would need its own book to cover all the aspects of the game (like Monsterhearts, Dungeonworld, etc). You're probably right about that being the best option.

So I guess you helped me narrow it down: I'm looking for people to help make an AW powered game.

Modus also needs work; if anyone is interested in building the system and expanding on the basic premise, please contact me.

To my knowledge, the premise of Modus is unique, although the pitiful description I gave probably won't convince you of that .....

eske said:
I would have sent you a PDF of the Modus system, but the writing is incomplete and un-edited...so I'll give you the short version.
Modus is a multi-genre game that allows you to create games with as few or as many rules as you want. The idea is based on modules that contain a number of sets that consist of three attributes that describe a good aspect of your pc, an average and a bad aspect of your pc. The GM also uses modules to moderate the game. The modules focus on creating fiction that is unimpeded by rules; fiction trumps rules.

You can begin playing with the basic pc module without reading a line, and you can keep adding modules to describe your game into infinity. Even when you're playing the game, you can extend or collapse it by adding or subtracting modules, which allows you to change genres and type of game.

It is also independent of dice, although the basic style uses dice pools of D6s.

Modus can emulate other systems, or extend them by adding modules.

I know, that description raises a lot of questions, but Modus is really simple despite its depth.
It sounds simple, rather than deep. I believe @Dragnar is building a very similar system, albeit his is crunchier.

So why have modular rules at all if the fiction trumps rules? Indeed, why have any rules at all rather than simply writing collaboratively? This is likely a point where we must diverge in terms of design philosophy - I don't see the point of a generic system, doubly so when Tri-Stat (which is functionally identical to Modus at its core), FATE, Savage Worlds, and I'm sure there are some others I'm forgetting. The trouble with systems that robust is their unique selling point becomes their lack of a unique selling point.

I personally buy into the idea that rules support the fiction, lending a particular tone and emphasis to proceedings, so my own games never become truly rules-light (unless I'm writing a convention scenario).

eske said:
There might be some text missing after OP changed its core system, but you got most of it - that is, the FATE mod I was talking about. And no, it's not truly original, but if it were to be an AW game, it would need its own book to cover all the aspects of the game (like Monsterhearts, Dungeonworld, etc). You're probably right about that being the best option.
So I guess you helped me narrow it down: I'm looking for people to help make an AW powered game.

Modus also needs work; if anyone is interested in building the system and expanding on the basic premise, please contact me.

To my knowledge, the premise of Modus is unique, although the pitiful description I gave probably won't convince you of that .....
RE: Making this AW book - are there any unique character types? If not; station generator, ship generator, perils of travel, alien generator, BAM, job done. If there are, it'd be easy to reskin most existing playbooks, especially with all the fan versions knocking about. Two weeks work, easy.

Modus - I'm assuming you effectively just need rules by genre?

Grey said:
It sounds simple, rather than deep. I believe @Dragnar is building a very similar system, albeit his is crunchier.
So why have modular rules at all if the fiction trumps rules? Indeed, why have any rules at all rather than simply writing collaboratively? This is likely a point where we must diverge in terms of design philosophy - I don't see the point of a generic system, doubly so when Tri-Stat (which is functionally identical to Modus at its core), FATE, Savage Worlds, and I'm sure there are some others I'm forgetting. The trouble with systems that robust is their unique selling point becomes their lack of a unique selling point.

I personally buy into the idea that rules support the fiction, lending a particular tone and emphasis to proceedings, so my own games never become truly rules-light (unless I'm writing a convention scenario).
I'd love to take a look at that system Dragnar is making; maybe I can steal some of his ideas! No, but it would be fun to see how similar the concepts are.

The "Fiction Trumps Rules" slogan isn't meant to be understood as that extreme. Modus has rules that facilitate story; it's not diceless unless you want it to be (and it does that too). The idea is to make a setting using Modus as if it was made specifically for that setting. I am working on the first setting called Dark Globe, and it will include the entire Modus ruleset. But again, I would really like to have some people contribute. I love the back and forth of like-minded roleplayers that want to create something.

Grey said:
RE: Making this AW book - are there any unique character types? If not; station generator, ship generator, perils of travel, alien generator, BAM, job done. If there are, it'd be easy to reskin most existing playbooks, especially with all the fan versions knocking about. Two weeks work, easy.
Yep, I agree - doing an AW mod would be simple (not easy per se), but I would like to work with someone on it; I find that the end product becomes much better when it's been through more than one mind.

Would you be able to offer me a full, sample character as an example of how this would work?

While I like the idea of "rule sets" that you can add or subtract depending on what kind of genre you want to run, I think it might be too rules light...I would have no idea where to begin with the character creation. Have you asked anyone to try and break your system apart yet?

Yeah, I'd have to dust off my old files to do it, but I can give you an example of a PC module. But if you're worried about it being too rules-light, then you're probably right - the point is that you can play with one module (which would be very rules light), but you can add an infinite number of modules until you feel satisfied with the amount of rules...

I'm awful to collaborate with, as a reclusive hermit creator (my games, unfinished, are in the Resource section somewhere - I can link you if you'd like). Dragnar's is here. @WlfSamurai might also be up for AW related funtiems.

Ah, and if you have a setting to go with Modus that will help immensely. Demonstrates versatility and gives it extra visibility through a setting.

If you want Dark Globe critiqued too, just ask.

eske said:
Yeah, I'd have to dust off my old files to do it, but I can give you an example of a PC module. But if you're worried about it being too rules-light, then you're probably right - the point is that you can play with one module (which would be very rules light), but you can add an infinite number of modules until you feel satisfied with the amount of rules...
Yes; I'd love to see examples. As many as you can give, because I won't understand what you're trying to achieve until I see it in front of me, and if I can't understand it, then I can give no useful feedback.

Grey said:
I'm awful to collaborate with, as a reclusive hermit creator (my games, unfinished, are in the Resource section somewhere - I can link you if you'd like). Dragnar's is here. @WlfSamurai might also be up for AW related funtiems.
Ah, and if you have a setting to go with Modus that will help immensely. Demonstrates versatility and gives it extra visibility through a setting.

I do love me some AW. It's really the only game I play these days.

So, what now?

WlfSamurai: I've contacted you elsewhere. I would really appreciate s second set of eyes on our game; it is heating up, and I could really use the assistance...

Alexandra: I will make a new thread for the Modus conversation, so more people will be able to give feedback. I will let you know as soon as its done; I have a lot on my hands right now.

Grey said:
Sure, I'd like to see some of your games - I am always interested in game design and ideas. And I am interested in your game philosophy too, if you wouldn't mind giving me a quick run through.

So why are you horrible to collaborate with? You want it your way or no way?

Well, I subscribe to the Fail Faster model - make it, test it, iterate on it. It's why I run so many games and try to get so much feedback. Since I write fiction as well as games, I regard them very differently; I like strong mechanical elements in RPGs to differentiate them from standard fiction. You can use the mechanics to help support plot and character, and to reinforce tone or play-patterns. If, for example, you make combat very deadly and very quick, it becomes a kind of negative space - it's high-stakes and exciting when it happens, doesn't slow the game down, and makes it feel gritty or realistic, but it also changes the emphasis to non-combat since players will actively avoid combat in case it kills them.

Likewise, having specific mechanics for something genre-appropriate can help make that feel significant and try to emulate the qualitative experience from other media, such as a hacking mechanic for a cyberpunk setting.

I'm mainly awful to collaborate with because of my time usage and methods. I like to start from the very bottom and make sure both the setting and system will be internally consistent and symbiotic. If one collaborator gives me a bunch of ideas, I'll normally knock everything down and restart from scratch with the new information. I don't collaborate so much as consolidate what everyone else is doing in a way that feels right, hand it over to the group, and then sleep on it for a week.

Here's a link to most of the Crucible content currently available - teaser content, really, since it's undergoing revisions. Journeyman is a little side project with a lot of filler mechanics, but I need to test it to start paring it back.

I get it; I used to feel the same way about collaborations. It is really a question of control and ego. I think way too many game writers sit at home and fine-tune their system for years and years, and more often than not, the projects never see the light of day because it's a) no good, or b) never done. There are exceptions, but they are the exception.

In my opinion, writers need to learn to collaborate. Look at the triple-A games; they have all have editors, co-writers, fact-checkers and proof readers. And not just the premium titles; most indie games would really benefit from more collaboration.

Collaboration is a skill. Practice it, because your game will be so much better if you have a few likeminded people contribute.

In fact, if anyone would like to start a game project from scratch - a setting, rules, story or a complete game, I am up for it.

Collaboration is fun when you think alike, and it takes you places you never could have thought of on your own.

So if you're feeling creative, contact me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back