• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Dystopian RP

Haru Rivers

Full-time DM
Looking to create a casual to detailed RP for a story I've had stuck in my head for a while. World will probably be something between George Orwell's 1984 and the anime Psycho Pass in terms of technology and the totalitarian tendencies of the government. At conception embryos receive gene therapy to limit race and prevent disease. However, untold to the population are experiments that happen during the gene therapy. These experiments are usually aimed at creating a variety of super soldier and range from attempts at higher intelligence, increased athleticism, and even a variety of super human powers. The vast majority of these experiments fail and those people live their lives completely unaltered from normal. Rarely, the experiments have varying degrees of success and when that happens the subjects are collected by the government for use in putting down any rebel factions. The largest rebel faction is primarily composed of the successes that either escaped the governments control or were rescued from society before the government could ever get a hold of them.

I'm pretty open to suggestions with this one, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I've got most of the world thought out in my head, just don't want to type out the intro if no one is interested. Preferably, all player characters would be part of the rebel faction, though I might allow government characters to be played if there is enough interest.

Great!

Also good to note, is that I will be referencing characters in the overview as a sort of setup into this. If you have an idea of a name, power you'd like for a character, and perhaps a brief description, they can be used in my intro to the story. Three regular "foot soldiers" so to speak and one in R&D for technology. The R&D would likely have a power that would assist the creation of new technologies, metal manipulation or perhaps something a bit more creative than that. If not then I'll use a couple generic background characters. Also note that the intro will take place about a year before the start of the RP.

Absolutely. While rare in the rebel faction, normal humans are accepted as any other. Many experiments power is relatively useless in combat, some choose to use that power for more support oriented roles and others choose to fight through more traditional means. Others with altered intelligence might have special variety of intelligence, such as tactics on the field, reading facial expressions and involuntary body language. Think of powers as augments, for most a power is not a definition of that person.

I'd love to be a mutant rebel with enhanced perception/observatory skills. Sort of hypersensitive to involuntary body movements and 'telling-adjustments' and whatnot

Alright, well it seems like enough people are interested, as in far more than I expected. I'll try and get it up tonight, though be warned, the intro might be a bit long. It's about halfway done now so I'll keep you posted. Also never made an RP on this site so it'll be interesting to figure this out haha.

Just about done, so it'll probably go up in a short bit. Need to make a small trip to the store, spell check and make sure it all makes sense and it'll be up. Hope ya'll have started thinking about characters. All that's left is to make the thread and we should be set.

Can we be patient zero-esque people? As in can I have a character who is, say, the origin of the superintelligence gene layout?

Ummm I hesitate against that simply because I expect most people to be relatively new to Idris State. Gene therapy has been going on since the beginning and the date is now 124 so not sure how that would work. I would allow you to be a part of a particularly successful experiment with above average intelligence in something or in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
BRUH I'm your science gal, if you have science-y questions or quandaries. Especially about gene therapy, it's very, very interesting. I used to want to be a genetic engineer, see. So yeah, I mean, even if it doesn't have to do with the RP. (B')

Well, life expectancy does increase overtime. At the time of this roleplay, technology may have reached a point where reaching 125 is fairly easy. After all, people live to 100 nowadays.

Haha I'm finishing my degree of Biochemical Engineering with a focus in genetic diseases. I love my science and while I usually do fantasy RP's I love dystopian literature and science so I made an RP on it. Gotta say I'm happy with it so far, though I do need to clarify with another journal entry I think.

@Sizniche I'm going to say with current technology in the RP that an extended life is not out of the question, but at 125 or so you'd be looking at being the equivalent of 60+ today. I think I'm going to say no to patient zero, but I will accept the original success perhaps, depending on how the character is done, I'd be more than happy to discuss the details of the character.

@Sizniche[/URL] I'm going to say with current technology in the RP that an extended life is not out of the question, but at 125 or so you'd be looking at being the equivalent of 60+ today. I think I'm going to say no to patient zero, but I will accept the original success perhaps, depending on how the character is done, I'd be more than happy to discuss the details of the character.
..... That tops me big time. I kinda feel like an idiot.

It's not for everyone that's for sure, but it is fun to be a part of. At one point I wanted to be a physicist, and then I took general biology and chemistry and realized that I love all things science. So instead of focusing, I chose them all.

FYI to all the people that have read the overview. I have added an additional journal entry. It should give you a better idea about Idris State and how the RP is going to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back