Story Duel of the Ice Cream (2k Words)

What is your favorite ice cream? (There are far too many to fit, but I added what I could.)

• Vanilla (including Vanilla Bean)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Chocolate

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A Lot of Chocolate (i.e. Chocolate with other chocolate ingredients.)

• Strawberry (or other fruits)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mint

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Cookie Dough

• Nuts (of any kind)

• Caramel/Toffee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coffee

• Other

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Voider

Professional of Nonsensical Tangents
Greetings! Below is a story for a community event in the "Isekai Hell" RP community. I suggest you take a look at it if you want a more detailed explanation, but in short, it's a sort of "Isekai (Lit?)RPG Medieval Fantasy" world. IH's August Event is to write (non-canon) short stories for IH characters in a modern version of this world; hence, the story I have written for my character Glacier. I originally wrote it on a text file, but am posting it here as well, for a less awkward reading experience.

Please note that I do not typically write stories such as this, and considering the fact that the idea for it is barely cohesive, please do not expect a solid, high quality work; it was written solely for fun, and is more of a draft than anything. Now, below is the story, as well as my original author's note.

Glacier.gif

Story length: 2,012 words, 11,434 characters. Quality not assured, 0-day money back guarantee.

A/N:
My thought process when coming up for the idea of this story can be summarized as this: Glacier is cold, and so is ice cream... though how can I include combat into that? = Duel of the Ice Cream. Perhaps not the most creative of ideas, but I went with it anyway, because why not.

Is the story logical? No. Did I write about two thousand words out of the random idea I had in approximately one and a half days anyway? Yes. Is the story entertaining? That's up to you.

Now without further ado, seeing as you've decided to read this short story, I hope that you enjoy it!

(If each paragraph shows up as an absurdly long line, click "Format" on the top bar in notepad, then turn on "Word Wrap". I am unsure if this works differently for non-windows OSs.)

- Act I: The New Ar'rival' -​

It was a hot summer's day on the edge of the city, with the birds chirping, kids playing, and sun relentlessly beating everyone into submission via rays of sunlight. Fortunately, Glacier was there to help with that last matter, with his ice cream stand providing sweet and cold refreshments to the children.

"One scoop... of chocolate ice cream for you, miss." Glacier handed over a cone to the girl, using telekinesis to do so; it was certainly difficult to learn at first, but well worth it, especially considering his lack of thumbs, or hands for that matter. His next customer, a human boy, was one that he immediately recognized. "Ah, it is a pleasure to see you once again... what do you wish for, Henry?" Henry always -figuratively- put a smile on Glacier's face while he worked his summertime business, which was a pleasant reprieve from the heat. Sure, the stand's air conditioning provided relief from the physical temperature, but the blazing sun of summer always put an ever present -if slight- burden on his mind.

"I want your 'Hailstorm' special, Glacier! Er, please?" Glacier chuckled at the cheery boy holding out some money, before putting a scoop of vanilla on a cone, and then levitating it between him and the boy. Closing his vision to focus, certain points in the ice cream began to freeze solid, into what Glacier had dubbed 'Vanilla Ice Chips'. Once that was finished, he handed it to the boy and put the money into a box next to himself.

"I wish you a good day... and hope that you enjoy the ice cream, Henry." Henry waved in response to Glacier's farewell, before skipping away with his treat. The next few hours went much the same; simple, but pleasant. As the sun -finally- began to set, Glacier packed his things and closed for the day, before making his way home. He slept well that night, and as a new morning began, Glacier once again prepared for the day.

As Glacier walked to his stand, however, he was greeted with another on the other side of the street. 'Magnificent Ice Cream' was emblazoned above, and an elf in mage robes stood within, already beginning to serve ice cream to children. Surprised that someone else would set up their own stand here, Glacier decided to approach the man, to gleam more information. "Aha! You must be Glacier, no? I have heard much about you from the children here, but allow me to introduce myself first: I am Eragon the Magnificent! Mage and deliverer of only the most magnificent ice cream!" The elf finished by spreading his arms out.

"Well met... Eragon the Magnificent." Glacier said in a respectful manner, still not entirely sure what to think of the man. "If I may ask... why have you set up your stand here? There must certainly be many other places... than on this edge of the city?" He tilted his head to the side with inquiry.

Eragon shrugged before speaking. "There certainly are, yes. Though you'll find that they are not great places for business; I apologize if I am intruding on your territory, but it is simply my best option if I wish to remain the magnificent dealer of ice cream. Besides, what is a business without some competition?" The elf smiled while holding his hand out.

"A fair point... perhaps." Glacier responded, before turning his head to look at his own stand; he should get back to business before the children started flocking here, as it would do no good for Glacier if the only stand being operated then was Eragon's. "I shall see you later... farewell, sir." He finished the conversation, trotting back to his own stand, and getting it open.

- Act II: A 'Meltdown' in Relations -​

As the days went by, the impact of Glacier's new competitor become more and more obvious. First it was less kids coming to his stall, and more to Eragon's; something that Glacier did not mind in and of itself, as everyone was of course entitled to choosing whom they purchased products from, but it was noticed nonetheless. The next was an increasing shortage of revenue; Glacier operated his summertime business primarily for the children rather than an important source of income, and less money wouldn't bother him, but it was still important to keep track of finances and avoid going into a deficit. Lastly, and more recently, some children seemed to begin having disagreements and arguments about who's ice cream was best; while nothing bad had happened yet, it was still something that Glacier was concerned of.

All of these facts combined began to erode Glacier's tolerance of Eragon's presence; he did not personally dislike the man, but business was business, and you always want to stay on top of the competition. This was what Glacier was contemplating when his air conditioner broke without warning. "Out of all the times for it to break... it is right went the sun shines the hardest." Glacier grumbled.

The hours of no reprieve from the heat began to melt Glacier's composure, forcing him to focus on keeping spirits high for his little customers until closing time. It was just as Glacier was preparing to pack up that he heard Eragon shout to one of his own customers. "Have a magnificent day, from yours truly, Eragon the Magnificent Mage!" Suffice to say, this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Utterly tired of all of this nonsense, Glacier marched over to the elf's stand. "I shall be blunt... I can tolerate this situation no further." He punctuated with a stomp of his right forepaw. "I wish for you to conduct business elsewhere... is there any agreement we can make to do so?"

Eragon watched the ice construct intently, stroking his chin, before pointing a finger upwards in exclamation. "How about this, dear friend: we will have one of the most magnificent duels that the ice cream industry has ever seen, and whomever loses must leave this street! How does that sound, my counterpart?" The elf said, sounding all to giddy at the idea of a fight.

"Then a duel... it shall be." In Glacier's current state, however, he would certainly not back down from a fight. "What rules... will govern this instance of combat?"

"It shall take place tomorrow at sunrise, at the nearby field. We shall each hold a cone of the magnificent substance known as ice cream; the goal shall be to knock the opponent's cone to the ground, but only E Grade magic skills and below may be used, and of course without the intent to seriously injure." Eragon stated, before holding out a hand to shake.

After a brief silence, Glacier rose a forepaw to the elf's hand, giving the best approximation of a shake. "I shall see you tomorrow... Eragon."

- Act III: A 'Cold' Duel -​

(If you have any battle music you like to listen to while reading, now would be the time to do so. Unless, of course, you don't care for dramatizing a duel over selling ice cream, of all things.)​

Glacier stood on one side of the field, his paws spread out, vision focused on his opponent, and ice cream cone in... jaw; there weren't exactly a plethora of options for how he could keep one in his grasp. On the other side of the field, Glacier's opponent -Eragon, if your short-term memory is non-existent- stood in his own combat stance, ice cream cone clenched in the elf's right hand.

"You can do it Glacier!" Henry shouted from the sideline; the rumor of a fight between the two ice cream stand owners quickly garnered the attention of many children, who were now watching from a distance and cheering for each of them.

Glacier and Eragon begin to stalk towards each other, and once a certain distance is reached, circle around. Eragon decided to make the first move, sending an F Grade fireball speeding towards Glacier. Exhibiting his dexterity, Glacier leapt forward and swiftly landed on his paws, and no sooner did he also fire F Grade ice spikes towards Eragon. With such a quick response, Eragon's F Grade power didn't have enough time to replenish, thus forcing him to form an E Grade barrier to block the ice spikes.

With initial probing attacks sent, Glacier saw an opportunity to strike; Eragon's E Grade power would be recharging now, while Glacier's own was still available. Thus, he ran forward and twirled around to smack Eragon with his tail of ice, infusing it with E Grade power. Alas, Eragon barely dodged back, before sending a spread out burst of small F Grade fireballs. With little distance between the two combatants, some struck true, hitting Glacier's body of ice. He backed off with a leap, nearly dropping his ice cream cone; while he managed to readjust it securely within his jaws, the hits leave Glacier briefly stalled.

Exploiting the circumstances, Eragon did not hesitate to go on the offensive. An E Grade ray of water surged towards Glacier's face; a portion of which he froze solid with F Grade ice magic, and the rest narrowly dodged. Glacier then stumbled from an F Grade flashbang of light, once again barely avoiding dropping his cone. However, as Eragon began closing in for another E Grade blow, Glacier used his own recharged E Grade power to counterattack with a flurry of hailstones; this forced Eragon to abort the relentless push, shielding the cone from hail with his left arm.

The tempo of the fight began to reach it's peak; Eragon sent a gust infused with F Grade power, aiming to loosen Glacier's grip on the cone, which was countered by an F Grade barrier from the ice elemental. In response, Glacier sent E Grade ice spikes soaring through the air in a pincer maneuver; Eragon used a long blast of E Grade fire to melt the spikes, but the time it took forced Eragon to back away from the approaching projectiles, and towards Glacier.

With Eragon's back briefly facing his opponent, Glacier was presented with another crucial -yet risky- opportunity. Deciding to take the chance, Glacier ran forward at his utmost speed, continuing even as the elf began turning around, back no longer vulnerable. At only a few yards apart, Glacier leapt forward to headbutt his opponent's side with full force, and before the elf could set up a defense or send an attack, the hit connected. Eragon stumbled backwards from the momentum, ice cream cone flying through the air as he lost grip, before the elf finally fell to the ground on his back.

Glacier watched on, as his opponent's cone seemed to fall in slow motion, before smacking into the grass and dirt. After a few seconds silence, the children on the sidelines let out an uproarious cheer. Glacier lifted his head up in victory, showing off the cone still within his jaw.

"Well, I must say that was quite a battle. It pains me to leave, but we agreed upon a deal, and I could not call myself Eragon the Magnificent if I did not honor my word." Eragon said as he got up and dusted himself off.

"You are a respectable man... I shall not forget this fight, Eragon." Glacier gave a nod, before turning to walk off of the field.

Just then, a siren could be heard; confused at first, they both quickly realized what it was when a police car drove up to the scene of the battle. An orange and yellow scaled lizardman in police uniform stepped out of the car, before slowly eyeing both of them up and down. "I'm Officer Darin, and you are both under arrest for unauthorized use of combat-oriented abilities in a public area." Darin stated as he pulled out a clipboard to begin writing on. That was when all of a sudden, everything began to seem woozy to Glacier.

- Epilogue -​

Waking up, Glacier blinked his eyes -or more accurately his vision- to rouse himself from sleepiness. "What an odd dream... such an absurdity would never happen." Glacier mumbled, before making his way out of the cave that he had temporarily claimed as his home. As he did so, however, one of his paws landed on and shattered something; looking down, it appeared to be an ice cream cone.

"...what?"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back