• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Dragon Heist (Completed)

You remove the padlock that keeps the main door close and push it open with a creak. You are greeted by a dusty and ruined interior of what was once a tavern's taproom. Now it is filled with broken furniture, tarnished silverware, casks of wine that have turned to vinegar, and worthless detritus. Exploring the other rooms on the ground floor you find much of the same. Everything is empty or filled with broken casks, cobwebs, dust and rats.

"Not much of a place." Regongar says, visibly disappointed as he leans on the remains of a tavern counter. "But, I can see the potential. I mean, it used to be a tavern after all."

"I don't like it." Amiri adds. "Better stick to tents."

Suddenly you hear a sound of smashing porcelain, as a plate flies across the room, smashing at the wall, just next to your face. Regongar jumps up in alarm, arms flickering with lightning. Amiri unslings her greatsword and shouts.

"Who's there?"

Then a plate flies toward her head, but she moves to the side, and it hits her shoulder only. She hisses, rushing behind the counter from where the plate flew, but sees nothing.

"Ghosts!" Regongar shouts, turning toward you. "I told you, didn't I?!"

At his shout, casks start breaking, spilling the soured wine over the floor, silverware rises flying across the tavern's taproom in an unnatural demonstration. And you see on the floorboards in front of you, written in red liquid that looks like blood, but you know that it is wine: Closing time!

- Run outside.
- Try talking to the poltergeist.
- Try threatening the poltergeist.
- Wait for it to calm down.

Try talking to the poltergeist.

The violent display only caused Iselas' mood to drop considerably and her temper to flare. Immediately she took a few steps backwards, trying to avoid the soured wine from touching her boots. She reached out to try and tug Regongar behind her, they'd promised to protect the distressed half-orc after all. Quite honestly she was furious. Both at the fact that they'd hurt Amiri and that this ghost was doing more damage to the house.

"That's enough!" Iselas shouted, visibly furious as her brows pinched sharply together. "Please, you're ruining my home and you aren't scaring me away! I don't know what your problem is but you could at least be civil enough to talk to me about it!"

The moment you finish speaking, a fork embeds straight into your heart. Or at least the armour piece over your chest, not deep enough to pierce it but strong enough to make you cough.

Not your home, is written in the dust on the counter, Leave!

"I'm gonna beat your ass, you bastard, just show yourself!" Amiri is swinging her sword around, enraged, clearly not thinking straight. A shower of small spoons falls over her, not really injuring her, but pissing her further off.

"Easy for you to show off!" Regongar shouts. "Must be nice being invisible!"

Not nice, more words, Mostly lonely. A little fun too, you could almost hear the poltergeist laugh, if it had enough mouth to do it with.

- Run outside.
- Ask for the poltergeist's name.
- Try threatening the poltergeist.
- Wait for it to calm down.

Ask for the poltergeist's name.
"With an attitude like that I'm not surprised nobody wants to talk to you!" Iselas huffed in a clipped tone, slender fingers wrapped around the handle of the fork as she attempted to dislodge it. The realisation that this annoying ghost could actually harm her only made her more irate. "What is your name anyway? Otherwise I'll have to refer to you as 'the-annoying-ghost-who-needs-an-attitude-adjustment'. Which is a bit of a mouthful."

The tavern goes silent after your words. Then very slowly, on a window in front of you, in the grime, appears the word Lif.

"We are not getting friendly with ghosts!" Regongar objects immediately, looking at you with accusation. Amiri still looks quite furious.

The poltergeist ignores them all though and continues writing, My tavern. Not leaving.

- Say that you want to reopen it.
- Say that he needs to leave.
- Say that you will destroy the mansion if he doesn't stop.

Say that you want to reopen it.
Iselas steadfastly ignored the half-orc's objections because honestly? This angry ghost had haunted his own tavern to the point of probably frightening off those who could've renovated it. That seemed selfish to her... and also, incredibly lonely and isolating.

"Alright, Lif. My name is Iselas," She introduced herself. "And these are my companions; Amiri and Regongar," She gestured to the two and straightened her spine against their combined anger. "We were recently given the deed to this estate and would like to restore it and reopen the tavern for business."

"Really?" Regongar looks at you in surprise.
"Really?" Amiri lowers her sword.
Really?, the poltergeist writes on the window.

"Well, I can get behind that. But, I'm not sharing it with this thing." The half-orc points around the room uncertainly. "Ow!" He yelps in the next moment as a broken board smacks the back of his head. Still, the ghost's attacks were not violent any more, they seemed more playful.

Needs a lot of work, the poltergeist writes on the counter again. Can help.

As if to demonstrate his usefulness, he starts moving the pieces of broken plates and furniture, neatly arranging it in one corner. He collects the intact silverware and puts it somewhere behind the counter, pulls the loose chandelier into place and fixes it, and shakes the dust off the curtains. Then stops. Need dusters and mops, nails and hammers, a lot of furniture.

With your current coin you'd be able to buy basic cleaning supplies and a couple of chairs and tables. You'd still be far from opening and actually running the tavern.

- Agree to reopen the tavern and go to Volo to sign the deed.
- Sign the deed, but think of a way to get the ghost out of the tavern.
- Change your mind.

Agree to reopen the tavern and go to Volo to sign the deed.
The unison of their surprised 'really?' made the half-elf laugh, a quiet and muted sound that fluttered under her breath. As Lif began to reorganise the room, correcting the mess they'd previously made, she felt something warm settle beneath her ribs. Because sure, they could reopen this place. Iselas didn't like the idea of spending her hard-earned -- often stolen -- gold but she'd also never had a home before. This might just be worth the trouble.

"Yes, really." Iselas confirmed, hands on her hips as she glanced over what work would need to be done. "I'll get some cleaning supplies and some repairs in order... though I might need to pick some pockets while I'm at it. This isn't gonna be cheap." She scrunched up her nose in thought and then huffed out a low breath.

"Either way! Let's get back to ol' Volothamp and sign this deed~"

"I admit, I was hoping your adventure with the poltergeist might yield a chapter for my new book, Volo's Guide to Spirits and Specters. It's going to be a hit, I just know it." Volothamp says when you meet him in the Yawning Portal and after you safe him from the murderous intentions of your two companions. "I'm sure that the poltergeist is a nice guy, you just have to give him a chance!" He says, then hurries you to the courthouse.

Volothamp had already arranged a meeting with one thiefling magistrate, a woman that looks terribly uninterested in the proceedings. You see that Renaer is there too, and he assures you that he made Volo pay the fee for the deed transfer. Magistrate Silmerhelve witnesses the transfer of the deed, rendering the new ownership official, with the impatience of one who has more important matters to attend to, and then suddenly you find yourself in possession of a haunted tavern, even though you came to Waterdeep looking for embezzled dragons.

Renaer says that he has a few friends interested in your services if you are looking for work and promises to have them contact you in the morning. You have nothing else to do, but go to your new and ruined home.

You get the cleaning supplies and rat poison on your way back, but the furniture shops are all closed at this time. Lif gets to work the moment you present him with mops and brooms and the taproom turns into an eerie display of dancing cleaning instruments. Regongar does his best to avoid all of them as he climbs up the stairs in search for a room with as fewer rats as possible. Amiri decides to unroll her sleeping bag in the backyard.

- Follow Regongar.
- Follow Amiri.
- Stay with Lif.
- Find a room for yourself and go to sleep.

Follow Amiri.

When they returned to the estate, cleaning supplies and poison in tow, it was as proud new homeowners. Renaer's promise of assistance had strangely warmed her to the noble; she'd half expected him to brush them off completely now that their mission was complete. So, it was nice to be proven wrong. She'd have to find some way to apologise for being so prejudice in the beginning towards him.

With Lif's ghostly assistance she found herself exhausted from the long proceedings of the day. In 24 hours they'd rescued both Renaer and Floon, fought various enemies, trudged about in the sewers, met and possibly befriended a ghost, and then become the owners of a decrepit estate. Iselas yawned and bid Lif goodnight before she followed Amiri out in the backyard. There was no way that she was sleeping in some dusty room upstairs when she could fall asleep under the stars, breathing in the fresh air. Of course, if it rained it'd be a completely different story.

It is Fall in Waterdeep currently and the nights are not pleasantly warm as they were on the road in summer. So both you and Amiri are uncomfortable in the open, though the barbarian woman tries to hide it. There was no rain that night, but the air is damp with the promise of it.

--

You are awoken by a piece of parchment falling on your face. Amiri is already up and gone. You unfurl the parchment to read a short message on it.

"I am Vajra Safahr, the Blackstaff. Neverember spoke well of you. Come to Blackstaff Tower in the Castle Ward if you are looking for work."

Before you have the time to comprehend the meaning of the message, an origami crane falls into your lap out of nowhere. It seems that everyone liked using sending spells in Waterdeep.

"Renaer tells us you are a good bet. He bought you tickets to the opera tonight at the Lightsinger Theater in the Sea Ward. If you are interested, meet Mirt at intermission. Private Box C. Formal attire is required for admittance."

This message contains no signature.

- Make plans to visit Vajra.
- Make plans to visit the Theater.
- Explore the street first and think about your options later.
- Seek out your companions first and think about your options later.

Seek out your companions first and think about your options later.
"Huh." Iselas muttered, covering her mouth to hide a burgeoning yawn. It seemed that Renaer worked quickly which was something she definitely appreciated. The two notes were shoved into her pockets as she stood up slowly, stretching out her stiff muscles from sleeping on the ground. Bedroll and blankets tucked away -- she'd slept curled around her backpack and belongings like she'd done since her earliest memories -- Iselas headed back inside.

Now, where were her companions hiding?

You find both Amiri and Regongar sitting at the counter and drinking... tea. The cups are made out of porcelain and look to be antique. The teapot is steaming and is being raised in the air to fill up Regongar's cup. It's quite picturesque and not like them at all. Seeing you walk in, the half orc quickly stumbles to explain.

"Uh, the, uh... ghost, had stashed a couple of bags of herbs in the basement. He made us try it."

"It's amazing." Amiri says shamelessly, letting out a satisfied hum as she takes a sip.

A notebook flies slowly toward you, and written on it in fresh in are the words, I like tea. Regongar makes eye contact with you and shrugs.

- Join them.
- Go out and explore.

Join them.

The image of Amiri and Regongar drinking tea from porcelain cups was definitely not what Iselas had been expecting upon entering the house. In fact, she barely choked back a genuinely delighted laugh.

"Oh? I see. Thanks for the tea, Lif!" Iselas grinned, amusement evident in the soft blue of her eyes. She reached out to brush her fingers against the pages of the notebook as she passed by. The rogue paused at the counter, her hip leaned against the lip as she peered curiously down at their cups. "Can I try some? I've never had tea before." It smelled... nice enough.

You get no response from the poltergeist but you are presented with a cup of your own immediately and the warm, aromatic, and also strangely vivid blue, liquid is poured in it. It smells of lemons and passionflower and it tastes like the most delicious pineapple cake, though you've never tried one so you can't know.

"See, it's great." Amiri says, turning to you with one of her rare smiles.

You do sense tingling in the muscles of your face and you cannot fight the upward tug on your lips. The tea is some sort of a mood enhancer and it is making you feel like you have no care in the world. Amiri is under the effect too, but Regongar seems only mildly swayed by it.

After a moment you notice that the taproom looks much better. Actual sunlight is shining through the windows and the counter is spotlessly clean, if still old and barely standing together. You see that the floor is decent enough and doesn't need changing, but the walls need several new coats of paint.

"I got a message last night." The half orc interrupts, scooting over to you. "From our new acquaintances, the flying snakes. Zentharim. Apparently, they want me to work for them. Imagine my surprise, I thought they'd want me dead after yesterday."

- Encourage him.
- Discourage him.
- Change the subject.

Encourage him.
"Thank you, Lif." Iselas breathed in deeply, inhaling the sweet aroma of the steaming liquid before she took a tentative sip. It was surprisingly good and something pleased must've shown in her expression, at least judging by the assumption of her female companion. Amiri's smile was worth running the possible risk of being poisoned and it wasn't until Regongar spoke up that she turned to look at him again.

"Zentharim?" Iselas repeated curiously, blue eyes tentatively flickering over his face -- attempting to judge whether he was pleased by this development or not. "If you want to join them, I think that you should. Whatever you choose, we'll support you." This was said with an easy confidence and an assuring smile. "Must have been impressed by your sparks, huh?"

"Yeah, who isn't?" Regongar smiles and winks at you. "The money could be good too and considering I co-own an aspiring tavern now, I should contribute to its restoring. I'm choosing the barmaids." He leans toward you with a smirk.

"Does that mean I'll have to find work too?" Amiri looks over, then shrugs. "I'll look around to see if anyone needs a bodyguard, but I'm putting my pay toward a better garden."

- Go and visit Vajra.
- Wait until night to go to the Theater.
- Explore the street first and think about your options later.

Go and visit Vajra.

"Oh? Please, don't just pick pretty faces, Reggie. I like women who can handle themselves," Iselas grinned, shamelessly inputting her own opinion on the types of women she was attracted to. "And get some cute boys too. Variety is the spice of my life, my friend."

Taking one final gulp of tea -- one that burned her tongue slightly -- Iselas pushed off from the counter and straightened up. A playful smile was flashed in Amiri's direction, "I think improving the gardens a great idea. And who knows? Maybe somebody needs some help with trolls?"

With that said the half-elf headed for the door, waving goodbye to her companions as she stepped into the street. Out of the two notes she'd received she was more inclined to follow up on this Blackstaff. They were more upfront in their note and she didn't need to dress up, or pretend to be something she wasn't, for them. Which Iselas appreciated.

Following your map as well as the instructions of friendly neighbours, you find your way to the Castle Ward and soon spot the Blackstaff Tower.

Blackstaff_Tower.gif

It's a five-stories high building with the onyx dome and a flag with the symbol of a wizard's staff. It is surrounded by smaller residential homes, situated in a nice looking neighbourhood. The moment you approach, you are hailed by a young half-elf standing on the door, who says that Varja Safahr has been expecting you. He also says that you are already late.

Passing through the halls of the building, following the man, you see that the tower is actually some sort of a teaching facility too. Many aspiring wizards walk through it with books in tow and you can see various spells being cast in the hallways. You also notice a prominent sign that says: Fireballs are strictly forbidden inside the building!

You pass all the ruckus and the busy crowds of students to be guided to the highest floor, the dome of the Tower, in which the headmaster, the owner and the founder of the school resides - Varja Safahr, the Blackstaff, greeting you from behind her desk.

c98ff27188a194eb305d33956db3fe2d.jpg

While she is a young looking woman, she is probably keeping herself your with magic. Her posture is elegant, but her voice is strict and commanding. She doesn't waste time on introductions and only waves you off.

"I've heard enough from Renaer. We can talk after you prove yourself worthy of being considered a Grey Hand." She says, motioning you to sit on the chair opposite of her. "Grey Hands are my private security force, lacking in numbers after the gang wars started. Half of them went to pursue treasures unknown and the other half went missing. Well, not all of them, I still have a couple of decent people directly under my command, but loyal souls are getting harder to find with each day. I can assure you, I appreciate loyalty greatly." She gives you a mirthless smile. "Now, are you ready to hear the details of your first task?"

- Agree.
- Refuse.
- Ask her something first.

Agree.

Upon her arrival Blackstaff Tower was found to be humming with the motions of daily life. Wizards and students alike filled the twisting maze of hallways, the atmosphere unlike anything Iselas had experienced before. She peered into classrooms, stared at young wizards, and grinned at the aptly written warnings. By the time her guide had delivered her to the highest floor Iselas was thoroughly delighted by what she'd seen.

Varja Safahr was no different, but also not what she'd expected. The headmaster was deceptively beautiful and young, though the authority and command that she held was unmistakable. Iselas was more than happy to take the seat opposite her. She was surprised by the importance of the role being offered; after all, joining Varja's personal security force seemed rather presumptuous of her character. Which was why Iselas wasn't surprised by the fact she had to prove her loyalty.

Could she be loyal? She mulled it over briefly. Iselas liked the close-knit community feel of the tower, the honest and straightforward approach in which she'd been recruited, and the idea of protecting someone. A cheerful smile was conjured up, "I'm ready to hear what you've got in mind."

"I'm glad to see you are so forthcoming. I hope you stay that way." Varja says, crossing her hands on the table. "I have an informant, Hlam, a monk who lives in a cave on the side of Mount Waterdeep. He is a hermit at his best, but somehow still he manages to have eyes and ears everywhere. But, he's been silent lately. I want you to go and pay him a visit. Ask him what he's heard about threats to the city, but try not to annoy him or overstay your welcome." She pauses. "You will have quite a way to climb to his cave, so I hope you are more agile than you look."

- Proceed with the mission.
- Ask her something first.

Proceed with the mission.

There was a thinly disguised insult somewhere in that explanation, one that made Iselas snort in an unladylike fashion and duck her head. It seemed that the best way to stay on the woman's good side was to be as honest and straightforward as possible. Still, it was funny how much she reminded her of her two companions.

Which was also why Iselas pushed down any questions she had about the disappearance of the Grey Hands. No need to drill the woman, yet.

"Alright, I'll go check up on the old man and see what he's heard." Iselas confirmed with a nod, standing up from the seat as she flashed the headmistress an easy grin. That seemed as good of a dismissal as any but Iselas still paused briefly, to make sure that she hadn't read the situation wrong, before setting off out the door. Now she just had to climb a mountain and charm an old hermit man.

mountain_small.jpg

You reach Mount Waterdeep after an hour of walking through the city and eventually having to hail a carriage. It is not difficult to find the mountain, after all it towers above the city, but you can't see a cave anywhere from down below. Wherever it is, you will have to climb pretty high in order to inspect the area and the mountainsides are very steep. You are agile enough for it, but the climb might exhaust you.

- Climb up (roll d20 for constitution check, modifier -1).
- Give up.

Climb up (rolled 17).

One hand was raised to shield her gaze as Iselas stared up at the formidable mountain before her, a low whistle escaping through parted lips. Agility really wouldn't be the primary concern for this journey, in fact she wasn't sure she'd even survive the climb. Squinting up at the snow dusted tops she could hardly discern any signs of life up there; how did that old bastard get up there? Maybe this was all some wild goose chase and ol' Blackstaff was laughing in her Tower right now?

Iselas couldn't imagine the stern faced woman laughing.

"Think happy thoughts." Iselas muttered to herself, readjusting her bag straps as she breathed out a low and steady breath. She could totally do this. It was just a walk... up a mountain... a really big, fuck-off sized mountain.

You start your gruesome trek up the steep side of the mountain. You still have to pause a couple of times to catch your breath, but you make surprisingly good progress. By the fourth afternoon bell you are almost at the top. It's very chilly up here so you are thankful when you notice the mouth of a cave under an incline not very far from your position.

As you approach you feel the warmth of the fire and whatever exhaustion you might have had, dissipates instantly. You also notice a figure, an old man in furs, sitting next to the fire. He looks up slowly as you approach, then curiously raises an eyebrow.

"And who might you be?" He asks.

- Answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back