Dragon Blooded Book

Darkblade is right, I call bullshit.  Nothing even affiliated with Wal-Mart could ever muster the coolness necessary to sell Exalted books.  Or anything else that anyone literate would appreciate, though I was once propositioned by a hooker in a wal mart parking lot.  I coughed up $5 to be in a picture standing there like old friends in the wal mart parking lot.  Sometimes you just have to give it to yourself.

I too call bullshit, I WORKED at Wal-Mart and I NEEEEEEEEEEEVER heard of them having Exalted, RPGs or any of that. Even the ordering system wouldn't pick 'em up.

Who cares? Amazon DOES have it for $19, and they're not nearly as evil.

Buy.com has it for even less.

-S

Normally I'd cry foul at the rcommendation that people buy their books online....

but fuck this job.

I have a feeling deep inside me that this may derail the whole thread, but I agree with QC.  Shitty online gaming and the internet have seriously detracted from the hobby and, in my opinion, driven prices up for all of us who love going to the friendly neighborhood geek shop and inquiring into your favorite games and whether anything new has come out for them (unless your favorite games are made by wizards of the coast, in which case it is a safe bet that, in fact, nothing worthwhile has come out).  

And online games mean there's no roleplaying, just pointless clicking and material insanity.  There's no content.  You don't get to see your buddy get bleary eyed when his favorite NPC dies spectacularly pulling himself down the spear on which he was just impaled to strike one final blow at his killer.

I should qualify that by online gaming, I mean online RPG's only.  There is a special place in my heart for getting together with a bunch of friends and drinking overcaffeinated beverages whilst shit talking and stomping the ever loving shit out of all of them in Dawn of War.  No, I'm talking about games like Evercrack, World of Whorecraft, and Mold Wars.  Sigh.

My local gaming store is owned by an independently wealthy trust-fund brat who operates at a loss every year. She just likes to have the store, so it doesn't matter how much money it earns/loses.

Thus, since it'll stay open wether I buy books there or not, I tend to shop on Amazon for the core books.

For the softcovers, I generally like to peruse them first to see if they're worth it, so I buy them there.

-S

On a slightly more germane note, what are the new Aspect Ability breakdowns? I assume Earth picked up Integrity, but War...?

(the lead singer of Epica)
You might be interested in Storm Large instead. Not Dutch Goth Metal, but anyone who mixes together Ministry’s Stigmata and Van Morrison’s Moondance and make it sound anywhere as good as she does gets my vote.

I haven't seen her site in a while, but it looks like its crippled because she's evidently on some reality show.

Stillborn said:
My local gaming store is owned by an independently wealthy trust-fund brat who operates at a loss every year. She just likes to have the store, so it doesn't matter how much money it earns/loses.
Thus, since it'll stay open wether I buy books there or not, I tend to shop on Amazon for the core books.

For the softcovers, I generally like to peruse them first to see if they're worth it, so I buy them there.

-S
Funny, I'd be more inclined to buy from a fellow hobbyist than someone operating for profit alone, especially if they were doing it irrespective of profit.. seems like a fair exchange to me.

Samiel said:
Funny, I'd be more inclined to buy from a fellow hobbyist than someone operating for profit alone, especially if they were doing it irrespective of profit.. seems like a fair exchange to me.
This woman does not need the money herself, nor does she care if she gets it. Why should I give over more of my own limited funds than I must by buying from her?

-S

Because to me it seems that she is opening the store as a favour to the community. Gaming stores also tend to be focal points for gaming communities, and deserve a little bit of respect and support. Hell, most stores trying to make profit fail outright even with support, so its possible hers is more of a drain on her than you think. Maybe she's pretending it's only as a fancy to promote camaradrie, when in fact her apparently high (I'd kill for $30 hardbacks here, see my post re: e30 books) prices seem to be an attempt at profiting from her business?

Trust me, I know what the situation is. Buying books elsewhere is doing nothing whatsoever to damage her business, or the local gaming community.

-S

I do agree with you on general principle that it's better to spend a few extra bucks to benefit local businesses. However, this is a hightly unique situation.

-S

i actually thought the Iselsi got a pretty good write up, that at least gives them a chance to be played as something other then spies and immaculate monks

Also I dont think the House of Ancient Stone was in first edition at all

Okay, compliment sandwich. Something good, something good...ah.

You had some good write-ups of the Houses, and tales of Dragon-Blooded breeding escapades.

Now, where you need improvement. NO FUCKING COLOR. Worst...idea...EVAR! Fuck you, WW. Your costs be damned. Also, very little written about the Immaculate Order. I can only assume that's coming in the Volumes of Sorcery: Scroll of the Monk. Only assume.

Now, finishing with something good.

You're are pretty on the outside, and you let me stat my Dragon-Blooded NPCs. Also, you covered the Dragon-Blooded as a species, if you will, instead of the Realm. Very nice.

Okay, have a good day. Next.

The book makes mention that the Immaculate Order will be covered in more detail in the upcoming book about the Blessed Isle itself.

Shitty online gaming and the internet have seriously detracted from the hobby and' date=' in my opinion, driven prices up for all of us who love going to the friendly neighborhood geek shop and inquiring into your favorite games and whether anything new has come out for them (unless your favorite games are made by wizards of the coast, in which case it is a safe bet that, in fact, nothing worthwhile has come out).  [/quote']
I dunno man, I gotta disagree with you on that one.  I think back to my childhood and it was video games like Zelda and Final Fantasy that fueled my interest in pen and paper RPGs in the first place.  For a lot of people, electronic media and movies are their first exposure to stuff like this and I think that the sheer volume of games out there owes itself to the video game industry in large part.  MMOs help further that because they take a genre that, popular as it was, was just a subset of a greater industry and marketed it to a massive group of people.  Genre accessibility is terrible to elitists who feel their turf encroached upon by the masses, but in truth it's great for business and opens up a lot of people to things they might not have thought to try otherwise.   If you've never played a pen and paper game in your life, do you think you're more or less willing to try it out if you've had experiences with online games?

The price increases of your favorite gaming books isn't because pen and paper games are losing popularity and prices have to increase to make up the overhead, but because businesses realize that there's money to be made, so they're losing their fan-based altruism in the face of the massive competition that's out there.  Small gaming stores have more to fear from the local Borders or Barnes and Nobles than from WoW or EQ.  But oh look! A lot of those game stores that are losing business to bigger book stores are making it back by setting up computers systems and attracting people to pay to sit in their stores and play, you guessed it, online games.

What's more, I've got about 4 online gamers in my group including myself.  We generally try to keep our banter about who did what during the week down to less than 20 minutes, but other than that, online games have had absolutely no negative effect on our gaming group.

Sato said:
The price increases of your favorite gaming books isn't because pen and paper games are losing popularity and prices have to increase to make up the overhead, but because businesses realize that there's money to be made, so they're losing their fan-based altruism in the face of the massive competition that's out there.  Small gaming stores have more to fear from the local Borders or Barnes and Nobles than from WoW or EQ.  But oh look! A lot of those game stores that are losing business to bigger book stores are making it back by setting up computers systems and attracting people to pay to sit in their stores and play, you guessed it, online games.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back