TV & Film Do You Think Cartoons Are Going Down The Drain?

Narcolepsy_and_Cartoons

Your Favorite Couch-Potato
As a child, there wasn't a lot for me to do. And being a boy that hated going outside and had beat Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Yugioh: The Sacred Cards five thousand times, the only thing TO do was just sit down in front of the TV and watch Cartoon Network! Of course, Nickelodeon was cool too and Disney Channel was as well back when they showed good cartoons and even good sitcoms instead of the usual 'Austin and Ally/Liv and maddie' crap these days.

Anyways, I'm as hooked to cartoons now as I was back then. But the old shows are gone now, and with that, new shows emerged to take their place. Now, don't get me wrong. These new ones are interesting. Steven Universe, Gravity falls, Amazing World of Gumball, and countless others grab my attention...but there are just so many bad cartoons now that they seem to mask the good ones. Some have no humor and are just there for companies to earn quick bucks while others are just cheesy and only appeal to completely different small audiences.

Knowing these types of Cartoons exist, as well as new movies and books and such taking their course in the world...do you think Cartoons are actually dying? I don't want to admit such a thing, but with how much I reminisce on the old ones and the constant hit and misses with new ones, it could be possible.

I'm certain there are cartoons that exist for companies to earn quick money off of. There always have been. :) Though perhaps also consider that as you go up in years instead of down, your perspective on cartoons may be... shifting. The way you think is changing. I'm not saying that you're becoming so you CAN'T like cartoons, but that what you do like is different and that what companies make aren't geared towards your generation. It isn't that you're too old for cartoons either. That's something of a silly notion to consider. It's just that with every generation comes new trends and we have to face that those trends may not be what we're going to be into and enjoy. :'3

I'm certain there are cartoons that exist for companies to earn quick money off of. There always have been. :) Though perhaps also consider that as you go up in years instead of down, your perspective on cartoons may be... shifting. The way you think is changing. I'm not saying that you're becoming so you CAN'T like cartoons, but that what you do like is different and that what companies make aren't geared towards your generation. It isn't that you're too old for cartoons either. That's something of a silly notion to consider. It's just that with every generation comes new trends and we have to face that those trends may not be what we're going to be into and enjoy. :'3
; A ; Man. Growing up sucks, huh? I do find myself finding most of the cartoons the same.

; A ; Man. Growing up sucks, huh? I do find myself finding most of the cartoons the same.
It does suck, yeah. <3 Everyone always wants to grow up until they see the magic it takes out of all the simple and beautiful things in life. Like the ability to enjoy every single cartoon one comes across. Keep your chin up.

For the most part, cartoons and "children-geared films" tend to gear towards one thing: merchandise. Sure, it wasn't obvious when we were kids and what not. But, I still recall getting my hands on my favorite action figures and products from the shows I was obsessed with. Basically, a show tends to stay on air/sequels keep getting made as long as you can keep selling the products that come with it. Take Cars for instance. Before the Good Dinosaur, it was considered the worst Pixar movie [Toy Story 2 doesn't count since it's TECHNICALLY not Pixar, but that's another discussion]. Even though it didn't do as well as other Pixar movies, it made the most profit in merchandise. So, sequels and spin offs were churned off and a butt fuck load of merchandise followed. Like Spongebob, the franchise isn't going to die for a long ass time because the series found the right formula to sell. If the executives don't see the numbers being pumped into merchandise or a show/movie isn't going to generate merchendise, it sometimes gets a hard pass to make it pass pilot or ends after the first season. It's the reason why shows like Symbiotic Titan did so well in reviews, but failed to get a second season: they failed to secure a toy contract so it got the axe.

As sad as it sounds, nostalgia keeps us from seeing the truth with our most beloved kids movies and shows. But, it's been that way for decades: turning out profits for kids through entertainment. Sure, there are shows that try to stand out and be something that's more fulfilling, but they all have to churn out the same formula in order to sell products. And, sometimes, a franchise that ran its course continues to go just because it churns out profits. Spongebob is one of the best examples of this. Creators like the one from Amazing World of Gumball see an end to their show, but executives do everything in their power to keep things going, even if it means separating themselves from the creator and continuing to churn out the show.

... and.. yeah... I think that's all I have to say. xD Sorry for the long rant.

For the most part, cartoons and "children-geared films" tend to gear towards one thing: merchandise. Sure, it wasn't obvious when we were kids and what not. But, I still recall getting my hands on my favorite action figures and products from the shows I was obsessed with. Basically, a show tends to stay on air/sequels keep getting made as long as you can keep selling the products that come with it. Take Cars for instance. Before the Good Dinosaur, it was considered the worst Pixar movie [Toy Story 2 doesn't count since it's TECHNICALLY not Pixar, but that's another discussion]. Even though it didn't do as well as other Pixar movies, it made the most profit in merchandise. So, sequels and spin offs were churned off and a butt fuck load of merchandise followed. Like Spongebob, the franchise isn't going to die for a long ass time because the series found the right formula to sell. If the executives don't see the numbers being pumped into merchandise or a show/movie isn't going to generate merchendise, it sometimes gets a hard pass to make it pass pilot or ends after the first season. It's the reason why shows like Symbiotic Titan did so well in reviews, but failed to get a second season: they failed to secure a toy contract so it got the axe.

As sad as it sounds, nostalgia keeps us from seeing the truth with our most beloved kids movies and shows. But, it's been that way for decades: turning out profits for kids through entertainment. Sure, there are shows that try to stand out and be something that's more fulfilling, but they all have to churn out the same formula in order to sell products. And, sometimes, a franchise that ran its course continues to go just because it churns out profits. Spongebob is one of the best examples of this. Creators like the one from Amazing World of Gumball see an end to their show, but executives do everything in their power to keep things going, even if it means separating themselves from the creator and continuing to churn out the show.

... and.. yeah... I think that's all I have to say. xD Sorry for the long rant.
Huh. That's...actually pretty depressing. No wonder Nick didn't give spongebob the boot yet. And now that I think about it, there WAS a lot of powerpuff girl lunch boxes or Dexter's Lab cups they used to commercialize back then. I mean, there might be some that don't focus on selling merchandise, but its sad to think that in the end, that's what most companies really put out cartoons for.

People were saying this for as long as I can remember. There are good cartoons out there, but cartoons tend to be underestimated and/or not taken seriously by mass media unless it's anime.

People were saying this for as long as I can remember. There are good cartoons out there, but cartoons tend to be underestimated and/or not taken seriously by mass media unless it's anime.
To be honest, I find cartoons to be better than anime. I like anime, but I don't sit and watch 90-500 episodes of cartoons just to enjoy them XD I think the mass media should focus more on cartoons, because I'm tired of seeing masterpieces like Ben 10 or Teen Titans getting ruined by crappy 'reboots' that are even worse than PBS Saturday kid shows.

I was never a fan of cartoons of course I watched them but I think they are going out of business. There are so many more things kids watch or play now they have apps on phones, youtube, and video games. There will always be a few good ones that people love Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Adventure Time and such. If you look at TV a lot are copies of old cartoons but dumbed down. Like Teen Titans GO!( copy of the great show Teen Titans), Powerpuff girls( copy of powepuff girls), Scooby Doo( copy of Scooby Doo). The style of these new ones look weird like something unnatural for cartoons the jokes rely on poop and pee jokes and are annoying. I still like them not really but I have nothing against people who like them. Also can I just say what happened to Sponge Bob?

I was never a fan of cartoons of course I watched them but I think they are going out of business. There are so many more things kids watch or play now they have apps on phones, youtube, and video games. There will always be a few good ones that people love Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Adventure Time and such. If you look at TV a lot are copies of old cartoons but dumbed down. Like Teen Titans GO!( copy of the great show Teen Titans), Powerpuff girls( copy of powepuff girls), Scooby Doo( copy of Scooby Doo). The style of these new ones look weird like something unnatural for cartoons the jokes rely on poop and pee jokes and are annoying. I still like them not really but I have nothing against people who like them. Also can I just say what happened to Sponge Bob?
Well, what happened to spongebob was that all the original writers had either quit or retired. And these new writers were probably trained to write material with jokes and humor that call out to kids even younger than the audience spongebob used to appease...or something.

Well, what happened to spongebob was that all the original writers had either quit or retired. And these new writers were probably trained to write material with jokes and humor that call out to kids even younger than the audience spongebob used to appease...or something.
Some did leave but I remeber when it was great I think they ran out of material to work with I mean they covered a lot of stuff for children.

Narcolepsy_and_Cartoons Narcolepsy_and_Cartoons
Yep. There are some creators that did their best to keep the merchandise dealio on the down low, but, in the end, they end up getting fucked by it. The worst example is Craig McCraken. A legend in the 90's for his cartoons, especially Powerpuff Girls. He learned the hard way that he actually didn't own Powerpuff Girls and will never actually have creative control over it over again. There's also his latest show, Wander Over Yonder. Basically, because Disney pulled a Nickalodeon and literally killed off any chance for the show to get any proper air time because the merch didn't sell. Same deal with Gravity Falls except the creator was able to finish telling his story in two seasons.

Actually, Yes I do. I think they all are starting to have no plot line, or idea. It really sucks because that's not what I grew up on.

~Jayda x

I think the art styling is just a reflection of different tastes from the generations. The plot, maybe, but I think that's because shows and parents don't want their kids to explore their emotions.

I didn't watch any cartoons except Scooby doo really when I was a kid, I just wasn't that interested.

I'll say my interest has been taken by some more modern cartoons, though they're mostly...They don't seem any different in quality to me otherwise.

I wouldn't go so far as to say cartoons are dying (I would literally cry, because that is all I watch tbh) but the quality has definitely eroded with time. Shows like Teen Titans, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Code Lyoko, and even those like Danny Phantom just can't be compared to a majority of what's shown on TV today. Legend of Korra was okay (a little too much on the romantic side for me, though, even though I'm a hardcore fangirl and love my ships) but I really do like the 2012 'verse of TMNT and Voltron: Legendary Defender. The stories are interesting and they keep to the plot, which is more than I can say for some other shows out there, unfortunately.

V:LD might be an exception to this, but even with some of the few good cartoons on TV today I still find myself going back and re-watching all of the old shows and liking them better. It's part nostalgia, I'm sure, but I find myself screaming less about bad writing when I'm watching the old cartoons in comparison to what is airing now.

Yes I do! look at Scooby Doo when it first started. The characters all looked
like they wanted to be someone, do something, but now... They look like they just got out from a hard day of: doing drugs, killing monsters, sitting down until they hunch like a hunchy hunchback. Fuck cartoons these days!

I don't know about dying. I'd say they're just getting to a lower intelligence level and will continue to do so until a large percentage of the customer base stops watching and stops buying merchandise for those cartoons. It simply isn't human nature to put forth more effort than is absolutely necessary to achieve the desired result.

I'm in my mid-twenties and grew up in the so-called "silver age" of cartoons. I would say...cartoons are better now than they've ever been.

The best ones are deeper, more mature, more creative, and more respectful of the intelligence of their young audiences than cartoons of the past. Cartoons are dealing in subjects like non-nuclear families, PTSD, friggin' genocide and nuclear war. Holy crap.

The downside is that even though the quality of a few shows is higher than the majority of the stuff I watched as a kid, I grew up with more variety. Some of it was quite literally the worst to have ever existed, but all the crap was hidden in the volume. And when there's so much to choose from, there are always going to be a few gems that rise to the top, the ones we remember through rose-tinted glasses.

But even through the medium itself is progressing, the networks are stagnating because they a) put the bottom line before anything else at the end of the day, b) cling to their flagships instead of giving new creators a chance, and c) ignore the fact that technology allows viewers to directly tell them what they want, even though this was literally how the most successful shows were greenlit in the 90's and 00's. Cough Infinity Train Cough.

TL; DR: Cartoons are better; the industry is stagnating

They are losing a certain touch I mean at 5 I would wake up early than the early bird and head for the stairs just waiting to see what new episode of dragon ball z ,He-Man, And She-ra had in store for me. I been through the times when most of us escaladed from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy unto the crazy adventures of rigby and mordecai on regular show and then we bare bears. to me i think cartoons fell off.

I'm in my mid-twenties and grew up in the so-called "silver age" of cartoons. I would say...cartoons are better now than they've ever been.

The best ones are deeper, more mature, more creative, and more respectful of the intelligence of their young audiences than cartoons of the past. Cartoons are dealing in subjects like non-nuclear families, PTSD, friggin' genocide and nuclear war. Holy crap.

The downside is that even though the quality of a few shows is higher than the majority of the stuff I watched as a kid, I grew up with more variety. Some of it was quite literally the worst to have ever existed, but all the crap was hidden in the volume. And when there's so much to choose from, there are always going to be a few gems that rise to the top, the ones we remember through rose-tinted glasses.

But even through the medium itself is progressing, the networks are stagnating because they a) put the bottom line before anything else at the end of the day, b) cling to their flagships instead of giving new creators a chance, and c) ignore the fact that technology allows viewers to directly tell them what they want, even though this was literally how the most successful shows were greenlit in the 90's and 00's. Cough Infinity Train Cough.

TL; DR: Cartoons are better; the industry is stagnating
boo
down with disney
we want old republic cartoons
boooo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back