Other Distance?

Gaben

M&Ms with peanuts
So, this is probably a stupid question,But...
What do you do when you feel really distant from someone? Like, Normally you both really close and happy together but suddenly you just feel horrible and disconnected.
Do people normally just wait it out? Talk about it? I tend to just lash out.

Because I can be a kind of avoidant person when it comes to my irl relationships, I usually just wait it out. Maybe not the most solid advice, but I find that if the distant feeling goes away, it was probably just a little fluke, and if it doesn't, I've probably just grown apart from that person and it might be time to think about letting go (which at this point is where I would confront said person and talk about the issue).

Recently I've been getting myself used to letting go of something if attempts of reconciling with it seem irrefutable, but other times all that's needed is time, so I tend to just wait it out, but actively feel sad about it.

I'm pretty confrontational, so I usually just bluntly ask about it and make my concerns/thoughts about why that distance has occurred known. Everyone's different, though. Sometimes people want to talk about it and fix it, sometimes they get defensive, sometimes they flat out ignore the topic.

I tend to let people drift away when it feels like that. I think ideally you should have a go at talking it out civilly to see if there is something specific that is wrong, but there is also nothing wrong with acknowledging that something isn't the same as it once was and moving on from that relationship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back