• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Dice System

elie

♥ ♥ ♥
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hello! I was wondering, what is the Dice system? I guess what I mean by that is, how does it work? I've been wondering if it's something I might want to get into.

It's basically RP that uses dice to determine the result of certain actions. The most famous published system is probably Dungeons & Dragons, but there dozens (possibly hundreds) of different ones out there.

For example: in D&D, when you try to attack someone, you roll a d20 (twenty-sided die) and add bonuses specific to your character's level, gear, etc. If the total is higher than the defender's armor class (defense, basically), you hit!

'Dice' is simply a catchall term we use to describe any roleplay which uses dice or numbers to determine events rather than allowing players and the GM to write posts back and forth. For instance, if I'm in a roleplay with someone and we're just writing tidbits to each other back and forth with a mutual respect for the other's creativity and not enforcing anything beyond verbal consent, that's not a dice RP. If however I'm in an RP and I decide I want my player to attempt an action but I'm not sure if it will work or not, then I may roll some dice based on any systems implemented by the GM to see if my character's action succeeded. That would be a dice RP.

So don't get too worried over any RP that says it's a Dice RP. As Kaerri said, there's dozens upon dozens of different systems out there and nobody here will expect you to learn them all. My advice is to read up on an RP that interests you, and if it happens to be a dice RP don't let the numbers and rules get you down. Odds are the GM and the other players will be more than willing to help you learn the rules if you're interested in joining up.

I'm going to move this out into Questions, as it really belongs better there :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back