Denying Character Applications: How to Handle it?

Ursus

Never Knows Best
I've got a friend on other site who is hosting her first RP. She's a pretty good writer, but hella humble.

[pointless context]

New person applied to the roleplay but doesn't meet her expectations of writing ability or character depth (even after her recommendations, apparently). She really doesn't want this person in her RP, but doesn't know the etiquette for politely asking somebody to go someplace else.

She asked me for advice, but considering I normally just ask my Co-GMs to be the axemen, well, I figured I might as well ask for advice on it too,

Obviously a private PM would be most appropriate.

And, lets, for the sake of argument, assume that she's not just being an elitist so-and-so and address how to handle the situation for an applicant that really doesn't belong.

Well, a pm is usually what I do since I like to handle such matters in private, but I think what's important here is that your friend be calm and polite about the situation. Don't resort to name calling or simply telling the person that he doesn't meet the standards. Try listing the things about the person that concerns her so at least they know why but the best thing to do is, like I said before, just be polite about the whole thing.

My basic rule of thumb is to think of it like a job interview... If someone came to your place of business and applied for the job, but they didn't fit the qualifications, you wouldn't stand up from behind the desk, throw a stapler at their head and tell them to get out. You would politely inform them that while you appreciated the time they took to apply, unfortunately, they didn't meet the standard you were looking for.

For me, I tend to be a little... uh... what's the word for push-over that doesn't mean push-over? Haha. I give people three strikes -- they can apply three times, and if they fail three times, no bueno... this much, I state in my character sheet rules.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend alerting the person in some private manner - either via a spoiler/accordion within their character sheet, or in a private message. We all get butthurt by rejection, it's bound to ruffle feathers, but if you handle it politely, in the end people tend to get less angsty.

There is ALSO the option of rejection without rejection... >_> Basically, an audition process. Where you have people apply and then (usually via "likes" or spoiler tags) you inform the people who were approved that they have been accepted into the roleplay. If people don't get tagged/liked, they tend to get the hint and move on :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to do all character acceptance through PM anyway so the PM part is obvious.

If a character needs more detail, I will inform them of that fact and offer several suggestions for how to improve the content and add more detail. I offer them questions that they need to address. If they are unable to make the changes, then I tell them that the rp is not the right place for them because an inability to be detailed on a cs indicates an inability to be detailed on a post which I typically require.

I also find it helpful to list my requirements within the CS itself so that the rper can see them before even posting their cs.

Personally, I am also like your friend. My friend and often collab partner isn't though so I've learned from him. From my experience, if it's only a minor issue (such as picture or bio not adding up, or personality being a bit mary-sue ish) I'll quote their post and say what needs to be fixed, and if they still dont understand then I'll PM them more details.

If, after telling them this they are rude about it I probably won't let them in after fixing it. There's nothing wrong with being a bit firm, all I can say is if they're being rude don't go to their level. Usually if I've explained everything I need to and that's that then it's okay to tell them to get out

I deny applications and say why. I send a pm with ways to fix it. If it a certain character thing I try to work with then on how to make it work for my story. I had a person call me names and have attitude cause of a picture. I give people a ton of freedom though.

^I agree but I typically only pm people if it's a major enough thing. If it can be settled in 2 minutes I don't think you have to pm

The idea of PMing, I believe (at least in my case) is to avoid embarrassing the person you're rejecting. Easier to let them know/know why in private, than in public where everyone can read it. Plus, character denials can sometimes unintentionally sully other folks opinions of that player. Just a courtesy to keep it under wraps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back