Demon PC's

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
I don't know about the rest of you but I've always loved the notion of playing a demon that manages to escape Malfeas and becomes independant of it's summoner/Infernal masters. It would make an interesting character.

I don't know if a demon could become truly independant of the Yozi, since all demons are a part of the Yozi themselves.

I could imagine a character that the Yozi (for whatever reason) allowed to believe that he was free. I think that would be even more interesting.

-S

Once upon a time I went through an extended Call of Cthulhu game where we disscovered that my character, who had shown a particular skill at dispatching Things That Should Not Be Named, was in fact the spawn of a creeping ooze of an Old One, shaped by a magus with dreams of ending all war, and human kind as a by-product.  My character was one of a hundred identical spawn, who were placed across the world as sleeper cells for the Kriegsender's plans. Spent a good deal of game time tracking down my doppelgangers and dispatching their twisted plans and progeny.  Nothing like killing yourself, over and over, and over again.

We eventually beat back the baddie, and the good Professor merged back with his pool of original self, only to be disgorged to gather new experiences for his unholy master.

Eldred said:
How could that be modified to fit within an Exalted framework?
I could see some Infernals being cut loose with their memories altered. They would think they're just regular Exalted of their type, not knowing that they're really powerless slaves to their master.

The only problem with that comes in when and if they try to fight back -- Infernals are 100% powerless to resist their Yozi masters.

-S

Hmmm...

But if they are cut loose...and somehow become Exalted as say a Solar-

perhaps that Exaltation may give them just enough resistance to the Will of the Yozis to have a fighting chance.  What do you think?

Heck- perhaps that's even WHY they were chosen for Exaltation.  The US wanted to see how it would play out-  wnated to give the possibility of triumph...

And really really drive home his dominance over the Yozis to boot...

Eldred said:
But if they are cut loose...and somehow become Exalted as say a Solar-
Infernals already are Exalted. Check the PG.

-S

Sorry I missed the bit about the idividual being an Infernal cut loose.  

Is there any way they could perhaps manifest a seperate persona/ Entity that could move about in creation?

I had thought of spirit  PC's Period.

A lot of charms allready exist for them.

The only thing that needs to be specified really is XP and BP costs and it would be ok  I think.

YOu need to read more about Vodak who lives under Gathemane (Bastion of the NOrth).

Stillborn said:
I don't know if a demon could become truly independant of the Yozi, since all demons are a part of the Yozi themselves.
I could imagine a character that the Yozi (for whatever reason) allowed to believe that he was free. I think that would be even more interesting.

-S
But, according to 'Games of Divinity', aren't the gods and demons basically the same thing?

That would mean that the demons could gain free will, since the gods did.  And the description of some of the demons seems to point out that they are not all evil, so some of them could escape.  This could even be started by trying to cause themselves to be summoned to gain their freedom (begining story arc?).  Then they could masquerade as lesser spirits until they could gain power, then launch their plans into action.

And, doesn't one of the books explain the XP costs for playing spirits?

I know the essence/ motes setup is in the Sidereal book.

From the way I took the explanation of demons is that they are personifications of the Yozi's thoughts, urges, and directed consciousness.  I prefer to think of them as shreds of thought, whispers in the Yozi's 'mind' only given a bit more oomph, since the Yozi were the Primordials.

Each demon is less a servitor, as much as the Yozi's own form a therapy in dealing with the lockdown situation, and the art of the deal that they struck to not be killed.  Demons are as much fragments of the Yozi's personality and thoughts as they are directed and controlled.  Some are more primal bits of Yozi Id, shreds of Ego and the personfications of the Yozi's internal processes.

Demons operate much like Spirits, but they aren't the same things.  

Spirits were created to maintain the Creation.  Demons are mainifestations of the Yozis' will and their madness.  Mechanically, they are very similar, and use the same Charm set, but in the metaphysics of Exalted, they are very different things.  

Gods and Spirits are closely tied and related.  Spirits can advance to god status, with enough dap, worship, and patronage.  Demons are manifestations of the Yozi alone, and would still have power, even if no one in the Creation believed in them, payed them homage, or gave a rat's butt about their area of expertise.  Gods are inextricably linked to worship and belief, tied to the Creation--which is one of the reasons that Gods can't understand The Blossoming of the Perfected Lotus.  They can't transcend it.  

Demons aren't a part of the Creation or Fate, but are linked up with the Yozi that spawned them.

Is it possible that a random thought might get lost in the shuffle?  Maybe--but it's doubtful that it would last for very long, and once reminded of its status, the thought would be subsumed into the massive sea of intellect and desire that is a Yozi.  Could a random thought or urge get away for a bit of a vactation?  Possible.  Might even be amusing to the Yozi to taste emotions coming from a slice of itself, and craft a thought or process very carefully to perform a specific task, or fool a potential 'Ally' who they want corrupted.

But this isn't the same as having "free will" in my mind.

yes a Demon COULD gain freewill.

if he was to scourged below essence 1 and transformed into a mortal then im pretty sure all ties between him and the yozis would snap.

(see exalted the players guide in the half caste chapter in the section on charms)

could one break away long enough to SEEK such a fate on their own?

Possibly.

remember 1st circle demons in particular are RARELY considered.

its unlikely that any 2nd or 3rd circle demons will ever escape my this method however.

probaly cause they ignored what Exalted: the abyssals say about necromancy "no its not evil sorcery"

oh and WHY do first circle demons not get acess to terrestial circle sorcery when DEMON BLOODED do.?

just curious.

I really don't like their basis on Christian concepts of sin.

If I wanted to play a game with Christian overtones, I'd play WoD.

-S

The ST sees Sorcery as closly aligned to Creation, were as Necromancy comes from the Underword and is thus outside of Creation.  We also ruled that Siderials can not use Necromancy since they are too entwined in the fate of Creation.  Demons are also outside of creation, so they have an easier time learning Necromancy then Sorcery.

Canonically, Sorcery was taught by the Yozi, so it's far more appropriate for demons than Necromancy.

In fact, Malfeas has its own flavor of spellcasting. It's called Infernal Sorcery.

If people are really interested in demonic PCs, I think it's a lot easier to use Akuma (aka Infernal Exalted). They're esentially 3rd Circle demons, they can look like hideous blashpemies if you want them to, and they don't require any screwy rules-hacking to play.

-S

now what if one of the malfeas interviened. Say, causing a yozi to have a "brain aneurism" or suffer from Amnesia. Then that demon/thought, might have a chance of being on its own. I would suffer to say though they might lose it being that they really had no consiousness of their own.

It's not that First Circle Demons cannot practice the First Circle of Infernal Sorcery, it's just that most of them do not have the free will or inclination to do so.  A sufficiently free willed First Circle Demon can become powerful enough to challenge a Second Circle Demon and, in that case, should be able to learn Infernal Sorcery.

Why not just play a half-caste demon who's parent created him and used his powers to bring him up to unknowingly accomplish something grandoise.

The player finds out that his demon parent is setting him up for something, but can't find out what.

Now he gets to fight against his 'inner demon' in order to be free to make his own way through creation.

Also, if a half-caste demon hits essence 4, does he turn full demon?  And if so, does he get shunted back to Malfaes or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back