• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Deinos Ex Machina: Sauros Immortui

Eva glared at the interruption, leaving her bow on the ground and drawing her machete from its sheath.

"Draw that knife of yours again," Eva warned, "and my colleague might have a serious overreaction with the shotgun."

There was silence for a moment, and Eva took advantage of it to study the new arrival. Another mutant, he was impishly short, with a pair of impressive wings emerging from between his shoulder blades. His eyes were white, but Eva guessed not with blindness. He'd stabbed that lemur-viper easily enough.

"Who are you?" She asked warily, "And why were you following us? We're only traders, no-one important."

Then a new thought occurred to Eva.

"Your not a bandit are you? Or a raider from another compound?"

Studying the figure more closely, Eva doubted that guess. He was too lightly armed to be a raider, which only made her more curious.

"Don't shoot him unless you have to." Eva murmured to her mutant companion. "I want to find out what he knows. And be careful. He might not be alone."

As soon as the shotgun was trained on him, Harrow threw his arms up in the air. The corner of his mouth pulled down in a frown, and he sighed.

"Followin'? I ain't followin', miss. I was nappin'. Tha' beast," he nodded at the lemur-viper, "grabbed ahol' of me an' knocked me down here."

He eyed the shotgun uncertainly.

"I am a fan of my head, though, so kindly have your frien' lower that please? An' I'll be on my way."

Last edited by a moderator:
Eva threw a glance at her companion, before turning her attention back to the interloper.

"Sure," Eva began, lip curling. "You just happened to be 'napping' right above us, of all the trees in this rain-forest?"

I don't buy it. Eva thought. Too big of a coincidence.

"My companion won't lower his gun while you have that knife."

Eva threw a look over at the the gun-toting mutant.

"Seems fair, right?" She asked him, before turning back to the newcomer. "I'm afraid I'm not in the business of taking the word of everyone I meet in the wilds as truth."

Checking that the dog-mutant still had his gun trained on the bird, Eva returned her machete to its sheath and picked up her bow from where it lay at her feet.

"So tell me, what's your name? What compound are you from? Do you work for anyone?"

Eva fired the questions off in quick succession, eager to determine whether the guy was a threat before any stray infected or fauna could ambush the group as they dawdled, distracted.

@Beowulf

@Red Thunder

Harrow shrugged indifferently, but he never took his eyes off the shotgun.

"Believe what you want. I was sleepin'; that's all there is to it."

Wind blew through the trees, rustling quietly. His ears twitched behind him toward the sound, alert for danger, but he kept his eyes forward.

"Name's Harrow. I ain't from any compoun' 'round here. No compoun' at all, actually, 'cept my own. Over thatta way."

The mutant nodded his head off to his left. His wings shuffled as he shrugged again.

"Bu' I work for people on occasion, them as don't like to go explorin' on their own. The cowards. As it stands, the bosses at the Beta has me keepin' an eye out for any robot scouts.

"And lessee, I think that was all ya wanted."

Brow suddenly furrowing, Harrow raised an eyebrow.

"Why so interested? Ya workin' for the 'bots?" He lowered his voice. "Ya wanna trade for info on the Betas?"

@Hellkite @Beowulf

"I ain't going to waste buckshot on him unless I have to." Connor growled out quietly. His ears twitched to at the wind blowing the trees. Then he heard the news about not being from one of the main compounds. "Well, so am I. Raised out here. Saw my pa fight a raptor once, little thing, but a raptor." he said quietly to himself more then anything else.

((going to be gone for a bit.?)

Eva raised a hand to touch the cold metal of the Android implant on her neck. She wasn't a bot spy, but equally knew she might be mistaken for one if the wrong person spotted her implant. She subtly turned up the collar on her coat, an effort to conceal the little square of glinting steel which protruded from her skin from prying eyes.

With a quiet sigh, Eva reached out and pushed the barrel of her companion's shotgun down so it pointed at the jungle floor.

"We're not working for the bots, at least, I know I'm not." Eva threw a glance at the dog-mutant before continuing. "He's a scavenger, I'm a smuggler, and by the sounds of it you're a freelancer."

She leant closer to Harrow, a serious look in her eyes.

"And if your a freelancer," Eva continued, "then I might have a job offer for you."

She paused for a moment, deciding on which parts of the truth to tell Harrow.

"I need to get to Orichalcos Beta to meet an old client of mine, and I need to get there as soon as possible."

Eva watched Harrow's reaction.

"If you get me there safely, I'll pay you." She reached into her coat pocket and produced several packs of luxury cigarettes.

"These now, and the Free Terrans will pay you again when we get to Beta. All you have to do is get me there intact."

@Beowulf @Red Thunder

The light was fading as they spoke, Sol creeping rapidly below the horizon. As things became harder to see, Harrow decreased the light filtration on his eyes. His white irises turned a dark green as the setting changed then back again when they finished. The bird-mutant lowered his hands as the female lowered her companion's gun, being careful to keep his hands open and away from his jacket.

"Lady, the Terrans I know; you, I don't."

Tellingly, his glance strayed to the cigarettes then quickly back again to her.

"Not that the Beta lot are all that trustworthy; if it don't suit them direct, they're usually none too willin' to deal with it.

"On the other han', I've no' relaxed for a good, what, six month, least."

Harrow stood still, hands outstretched, as he pondered. His ears continued roving, now on alert at the sound of occasional raindrops. The clouds were finally full and ready to release; the smell in the air foretold that.

Finally Harrow nodded.

"Fine. I'll get you there, anyhow. Fido here will have to keep up on his own."

He held out an open palm, gesturing for the cigarettes. Green flashed briefly in his eyes again as he looked past them at the ruins.

"So. We goin' in so Fido can fetch, or we gonna stay out here an' get soaked?"

@Hellkite @Beowulf

She placed the cigarettes in Howard's outstretched hand.

"The name's Eva, by the way," she mentioned as she fastened the buttons of her coat against the onset of rain. "And trust me, I'll make sure this is worth your while."

Eva drew an arrow from her quiver, nocked it to her bow in readiness, and then squinted into the gathering dusk which swamped the village. Between the dark and the rain, visibility was poor, and without the enhanced hearing of her companions, Eva felt a touch uneasy. If there was something lurking in the ruins, the challenge for her would be finding it in the gloom, let alone hitting it with her bow.

She glanced over her shoulder at Harrow.

"You'd better go first, I can't see too much in this gloom."

Eva paused for a moment, dropping to a crouch with her bow lying across her knees. She undid her pony tail, before collecting her hair once again and retying securely in a bun.

I don't need to be brushing hair out of my eyes every thirty seconds, She thought, especially if things get dangerous.

Standing once again, Eva glanced at the dog-mutant, and then to Harrow.

"Lead the way."

Connor gave Eva a rather disgruntled look at lowering his gun for him. He could lower his own gun, it was his after all. But once he was called Fido, that's what put his hackles up. He wasn't some common dog, and he wasn't playing fetch. The rain didn't bother him to much, hypothermia wasn't a problem with how warm it was. And to top it all off, that pigeon was going to lead the way. "I can do just as well as the pigeon brain over there. You try keepin' up." And with that, Connor put his shotgun over his shoulder alongside his rifle and took off at a steady trot. He could still see well enough, his eyes having adjusted to tye dark and gloom.

Harrow smirked and chuckled, ushering Conner along vaguely.

"Good boy, Fido! Lead on."

Turning back to Eva as they followed Conner, the short mutant scratched his head.

"And just who d'you inten' to see? The Beta ain't that big, an' I can't think of anybody what needs summat smuggled anywhere."

He clicked his tongue and glanced ahead, taking note of the approaching ruins. Flora had taken over most of the village, though the shells of some of the sturdier buildings were still pretty plainly visible. The skeletons of ancient and massive wind turbines towered above the crumbling village. Staring straight ahead, Harrow strode on, eyes roving.

"Don't suppose it's anythin' to do with that metal patch on your neck, does it?"

@Beowulf @Hellkite

Paused slightly at the mention of her implant.

So much for hiding it, she thought.

"No, nothing to do with the Implant." Eva kept her voice low, and as the group entered the village she peered left and right, watching for any sign of movement.

"And my client isn't from Beta itself, he comes from a compound up North. I'm just meeting him there."

She threw a glance at Harrow and grinned.

"Trust me, if he has the item he says he has, it'll definitely need smuggling. Something that valuable wouldn't last a day being carried by convoy or caravan, not with every raider on the continent targeting it, not to mention the bots."

Eva shrugged.

"But you don't need to worry, I'm just paying you to get me there in one piece."

As she spoke, Eva heard something clattering and grating in a house to her left. Spinning to face the noise, she squinted first at the locked front door, and then into the blackness behind the house's shattered windows.

"You heard that, right?" Eva whispered, adjusting her grip on her bow. "That definitely sounded like movement."

Connor looked up from where he was scavanging about. An old car with the dokrs rusted off didn't look like a place to find valuables, but never underestimate the maybe factor. "Something might be in their." he said to himself before trotting over there. If it was a biter, that meant someone had been there, and they had stuff. If it was a dino or some other fauna, a hide and dinner.

"Aye, I hear' it. Stay here, 'cept you wanna be dinner for summat."

His irises flashed red as their setting changed again, and the heat signature from the advancing Conner jumped into his vision. As Harrow himself took to the air and glided quietly toward a caved-in upper corner of the building, he tried to find signs of movement inside. But nothing came up. That didn't necessarily mean anything, of course. The biters were dead, and dead was as cold as the 'bots.

He came to rest on the broken wall and peered inside. And immediately drew his knife. The room was filled with flora, clinging to the walls or pushing up through the crumbling concrete floor. And hidden in the midst of it all, he saw it. Harrow shivered, old memories rising to the surface as he waited for Conner to make first contact. Once he had, the wingéd mutant would fly in and stab it. Stab it good.

Or that was the plan. But plans often went awry out here in the wilds, and Harrow knew it.

Eva nodded at Harrow's command and dropped to a crouch, eyes searching for movement, ears pricked for any noise. She could hear the leaves rustling on the jungle floor as the dog-mutant advanced, the soft rattling of loose stones, dislodged from the wall where Harrow had landed. Eva half drew her bow, testing the string, and waited.

Please stay quiet... Eva prayed. We don't need to let the whole jungle know we're here, otherwise we'll be swamped with critters and infected within seconds.

She could still here the mutant and Harrow ahead of her, but now she registered something else, rustling a short way behind her. Eva spun, moving from crouched to standing, drawing her bow until the feathered shaft brushed her chin. Then she lowered the weapon. A lone Dryosaur was crouched in the undergrowth, watching. Eva sighed, a quiet sigh of relief. Dryosaurs were herbivores, or so she'd been told. Not a threat to her or her companions.

Eva made a shooing motion, and the dinosaur scampered off into the undergrowth. Turning back towards the house, she hoped that whatever she'd heard in there was equally harmless. Alert, ready to fight of flee as required, Eva waited.

Connor had, by that time, reached the house. Why was everyone so quiet? If there was a predator in there, it had to have known about them by now. And a biter took it's good sweet time to get around. He could out walk most of them easily. So, with total disregard for being quiet, he had just trotted through the foliage, not caring to much if twigs snapped. And then he reached the building, and lucky enough for him a bit of the house caved in, giving him a place to jump up to. So, throwing his pack agead of him, he hopped up and scrambled his shotty out. Just because he felt like he was in no harm, didn't mean he had to be a flat out idiot. Now, where the hell did that noise come from?

Cremora saw the sun settling and hoisted up onto her feet. Straightening the majority of her tail to its full length, she turned east and began the long trek towards Orichalcos Beta. The light faded quickly, shrouding the forest floor in darkness faster than she ever remembered before. The dark felt more like home, though, what with the eyes that she peered through. Almost like a thermal vision implant the world around her lit up in hues of varying heat temperatures, the faint light from the moon only helping her watch her footsteps.

The soft whispering of the last two feet of her tail scraping the ground was all that was heard as she ferried her companion across miles. She could go for days, making a week's worth of walking into two days of running. It was late evening on the second day, almost to the Orichalcos Beta tower, its chrome spire just poking above the treetops, when Cremora happened upon a well ground road between the trees. Cremora settled into a shroud of bushes, unclipping the saddle and its cargo from her back and slithering out from under it. "I can hear the vibrations of a hovercraft, and from the ground shaking there's more vehicles too," she said to Fylec, peering over the bush-cover towards the west.

"I'm going to check it out. It might be one of the caravans from the Free Terrans. We might be able to catch a ride. Stay here a moment." Whether he listened to her or not, Cremora leaped over the bushes and sped on agile legs back up the road towards where she heard the noises coming from. The nearer she got, the more she could hear. By the time she was seeing the first signs of the source of noise, blue-green light danced around the trees. "It is the Free Terrans," she mumbled to herself. She ran straight for them, stopped, listened, then cursed. The angry bellows of a deinonychus pack overpowered the yelling of humans and mutants.

As fast as she could manage, Cremora returned to Fylec and in a panic, explained what she observed before urging him onto her back. "I don't normally do this, but they need help! We might be able to get a ride if any of them survive. Let's go!" She offered a spot on her back, without the saddle, then- without regard to whether he took her offer or not- she returned to the road and ran as fast as her feet could carry her towards the scene of flesh and fire.

The pack hit the aged floor with a crunch, grinding bits of broken concrete underneath it as it slid a few feet. It wasn't a terribly loud sound, but it was enough. Out of the shadows stalked a biter, investigating. It was human, seemingly, though the ape-like arms and fur-covered head made it hard to be sure. Most of its clothes seemed to have rotted off, though it still wore the remains of a high collared jacket.

Damn biters.

Better to not given it the chance to attack. Spreading his wings to glide, Harrow swooped quietly behind it, knife at the ready. Swinging hard, his knife hit the biter's neck, passing easily through the leather collar and impacting the thing's spine.

But the blade bounced off with a sharp ching, and Harrow immediately kicked off the creature's back to create distance and landed some ten feet away. The metal collar that deflected the knife was now visible. The mutant grimaced as the biter turned toward him, hunger in its dead eyes and moans in its throat.

Aw hell.

Most of the journey had been bumpy, not to mention dimly lit, as they were travelling over ill soil. It wasn't long before Fylec had his eyes in night vision, almost smell-o-ray, as darkness hit the duo. His left arm wasn't giving up the fight, as his right arm was in sleep mode. Dead weight, but not completely heavy; it was using what power the left arm had to stabilise it's weight.

Back when he was alone, Fylec could travel, at a steady pace, across 15 miles in 3 hours. Depending on trouble, supplies and other's he had met. Noticing that the road that they had travelled on, had now became that much easier on his posterior, he scoured the horizon.

Getting off of her saddle, Fylec stretched his legs. It had seem like days that he was on there, but it was due to his not sitting down for weeks. "Vehicles...hum. We must be near beta." He parted some bush leaves and looked through it, catching his maw on thorns. Chomping down on a fat magg-apilla, Fylec qwenched his subtle hunger.

He heard and saw her leap over the bushes, he got up from crouching and stretched his arms out slowly. "There's something to be said for...walking on your own feet." He watched her speed away, quicker than she had when he was in tow. Pondering whether he should walk, or run, on his own feet, just to help her out, was crossing his mind.

"She shouldn't have to...well, maybe she has never had to carry...well, that settles it. I'm walking the rest of the way. Or..." Looking down at his hands, Fylec considered monket launching himself through the branches, not a bad idea. His ears twitched, something terrible was happening from where Cremora had ran to. "Oh, this is not the time dinosaurs. Not when I'm..." Checking his arms weight, he paused his thoughts. "Half...ish, power. Confounded science..."

Raising an eyebrow at his comrade as she returned and explained the situation, Fylec smiled eagerly and happily that she'd returned. "Now, I'm not one to fight...especially for humans. Don't die." He shook his head at his friend, he knew that they probably weren't the ones that had experimented on him, but he loathed those that were pure humans. He watched her leave without himself, "really Fylec? You're going to...let her die? Hello! Solar panels!" He clenched both fists, and, feeling the surge or energy through his arms, took off after Cremora.

It was just an evil sight; men twisted and torn out. Dinosaurs with guts around their maws. "Lovely..." Jumping in the air and swinging from a branch at the enemy apparent, Fylec toppled one on to the floor.

A day had passed since they re-entered the jungle, stopping only to set up a temporary camp for the night. As their second night crawled up upon them the Free Terrans stopped again in another clearing, one of several established along their convoy route to provide a semi-secure area to rest and allow their pilots to stretch their legs after hours of near immobility. The hovercraft pulled themselves into the clearing and rested on the ground, their engines kept in idle in case they were attacked and needed to leave quickly. Though the usual glow was absent from sight, they still emitted a quiet hum. Along side their massive chassis the four walkers sat immobile lined up neatly and ready to be activated in a moments notice, their pilots enjoying the company of their comrades around several campfires.

"....and then the thing just got snagged by a pterosaur and hauled away!" one of the men was trying to explain what he saw earlier that day. Though the others around him burst out laughing.

Recovering himself and wiping a tear from his eye Strom said still laughing "You are such a terrible liar mate! There's no way that could happen! Next thing we know you'll be saying you saw a jet flying across the sky!" the crowd erupted in laughter once again as the man threw up his hands and stormed off toward the edge of the jungle, furious that no one would believe him.

About half an hour had passed and the F.T. were just about to eat their fresh cooked compie, seasoned with what spices they had brought with em, when one of the Terrans asked, "Hey did Andric ever come back?" the man who had earlier stormed off.

"I don't think so.. we better go find him before he misses dinner too." another replied, a few of them stood up grabbing their weapons and making a brisk walk towards the forest's edge.

As the group got nearer to the tree line they stopped, blood and bits of flesh were everywhere. Just beyond the first trees they caught sight of movement flickering between the branches. Just as they turned around to warn the others several raptors leapt from the tree line ripping apart a couple of the Terrans, their screams of pain ringing out in the night. The last of them managing to fire off a gout of flame before succumbing to the predators.

The camp was immediately thrown into chaos, people scrambling to get to their vehicles, others trying to fight off the raptors with a menagerie of weapons. Flame burst from darkness, a blue-green inferno engulfing a raptor that released an ear shattering shriek. While the clattering of gunfire rang out here and there. Some of the Terrans even danced around the raptors with blades in their hands. Meanwhile Strom and the other pilots were sprinting for their waiting mechs. Climbing into his walker with all the speed possible Strom slammed the hatch release with a clenched cybernetic fist. His cockpit flickering to life he hurriedly lurched the mech forward his thermal optics painting the battle a mix of reds, oranges, blues, and purples. Targeting the nearest raptor that was clear of any nearby Terrans, Infernum Machina bellowed its hellfire into the night.

(For your listening pleasure I think it fits quite nice, [media]

[/media] ))

"You alright, Pigeon brain?" Connor called out as he leisurly lifted the shot gun, aimed, and pulled the trigger. The chest was a larger target, but wouldn't stop a biter. Cut off any signals sent from the vrain would do it, so destroy the brain. A simple matter fir a shotgun at that range. But the loud report would be heard far and wide. "Alright, give me anither minute then we're iff." he said quickly, not wasting time on waiting for nasties to see what that noise was about. He started from the top, since he was already kind of there, and worked his way down. Hopefully, that was the only thing that wanted to eat him in the building.

The gunshot echoed in the darkness, and Eva froze, listening carefully. Even over the drumming of rain on the leaves, she could hear them. Shuffling footsteps, drawing closer. It was dark, and with the pouring rain Eva could hardly see. She squinted, raising a hand to shield her eyes from the droplets of water that spattered her. Nothing, but that noise was unmistakable. Backing towards one of the house's windows, never taking her eyes from the street, she hissed over her shoulder.

"Guys," She adjusted her grip on the bow string. "I think we've got company."

"Guys!" Eva called louder now, her voice growing higher. Silhouettes were starting to emerge from the dark, closing in on the house at Eva's back, gurgling and moaning. Swearing under her breath, Eva drew her bow, settled her aim on a lurching figure as it emerged from the shadows, and released. The arrow caught the biter in the shoulder, the creature broke into a lurching run, grunting with every step. Eva released again, and then once more. The second arrow took the biter through the throat and barely slowed it down. More figures were emerging from the rain, grotesque, lumbering creatures. Eva's third shot tore through the runner's eye. The biter crumpled forwards, coming to a rest at Eva's feet, spattering her with mud and water. Eva loosed another arrow into the oncoming horde before turning and vaulting through the shattered window into the house.

"We've got a horde over here!" Eva shouted, voice cracking slightly, broken glass crunching as she darted behind the heavy wooden table which dominated the center of the room. The infected were swarming at the front of the house, pounding at the door, pressing towards the window. A biter fell through the opening. While it tried to get to its feet, Eva placed a pair of arrows in its chest. The Zed twitched, still trying to fumble its way forwards as its fellows climbed over it.

"Harrow? Guys?!" Eva was almost screaming. "I need help here, now!"

"We've got a horde over here! Harrow? Guys?! I need help here, now!"

Harrow came sliding into view as he ran up beside her. Grabbing her by the wrist, he pulled a quick U-turn and bolted back the way he'd come, dragging her behind.

"Idiot! Moron! You wanna stick a muzzle on that mutt of yours? He's awful loud!"

He turned a corner and came face to face with a tall biter, this one bearing metal legs. Cursing, Harrow released Eva's arm and jumped at it. As he hit its chest with his feet, he grabbed ahold of the beast's hair in one hand and sliced it cleanly through the neck with his knife in the other. Tossing the head aside, the mutant gestured to the woman.

"Well c'mon!"

Their path of escape lead them through the room that Conner had shot the initial biter. Harrow frowned up at him as the creature's head chomped unsuccessfully at them.

"You bring a horde down on us, an' you don't even finish the first one off?"

Ignoring whatever quip the scavenger decided to throw out, Harrow kept pulling Eva toward the back door until they emerged from the house. More ruins surrounded them, but at least they had the house between them and the horde. Harrow wiped his blade off on his rain soaked pants and brushed the water out of his eyes.

"I heard!" he shouted over his shoulder before holding up a Babe Ruth bobble head. This looked like others might like it. So, he added it to his small collection of growing crap he thought held some value, some chewing gum, nickles and pennies from the old days, and so forth. Those coins should give him something, the bots just loved them. That now done, he turns around and sees a biter ambling it's way into the room he was in. With a hoarde downstairs and not much ammo, Connir rushed it, and pushed it aside. It stumbled sideways, then fell, all the while trying to grab at him. He had to get higher up, so he climbed onto the roof. Tricky buisness that, what with the rain making everything that little bit more slick, but he made it. Now he just had to make the small jump over to the next building. His foot slipped right as he jumped. Flailing widly, grabbing at anything, he managed to latch onto the lip of the other building's roof. He was alive, by sheer luck.

Eva slung her bow over her shoulder and bent double, hands on knees, fighting to catch her breath. She could still hear the thuds and groans of the horde behind them. She and Harrow couldn't afford to hang around for long.

"Thanks," Eva panted, glancing at Harrow. "You okay? Didn't get bit?"

She glanced around, initially searching for an escape route, before noticing something else.

"Hey, where'd the dog go?"

Eva heard boots on roof tiles, and looked up just in time to see the mutant launch himself towards the next roof, barely making the jump.

"You okay?" Eva called, conscious that the horde within the house would be emerging to chase them once again in a few short seconds.

"Look," Eva drew her machete in readiness to run again. "With the horde here, Harrow and I need to keep moving, but we'll meet you at the edge of the village, okay?"

She couldn't tell if the mutant had heard.

"So long as you're not too trigger-happy, you should be able to evade the worst of the infected."

As she spoke, the first biter emerged from the house. Eva started to back away, gesturing to Harrow as she did so.

"We'll wait for you!" Eva shouted at the figure on the roof as she broke into a run. "Harrow, we need to get moving!"

He didn't beed to shoot, not with them helling and hollering. They may be a lot of things, but the biters certainly weren't deaf. He gave a wave, hopefully they would take it as he understood instead if seeya later, and took off again. First order if buisness, get down. He was lucky the first time, but how long would that luck last? So, he looked around, and found a sky light. Somehow, it wasn't broken. He had to break it to get an easy way in, but that would cause some noise. So he continued his search. Nope, nust the sky light. "I'm to old for this." he said, thinking in dog years but living as long as a human. Kicking out the glass, he hops down, careful not to cut himself on the glass, and quickly searches for a way farther down. Fantastic, a hoarde bext door. The next thing would be very angry dino, or some muatated fauna, would be just his luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back