• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Deal With the Devil

Crispy Fries

Legally Mexican
(Don't post here until I say so)

It was a cold night in New York, as the September wind sent a chill through the streets and the rain came down in an unrelenting torrent. Although, it would take much more than a little weather to put the city to sleep.

A large man in a trench coat trudged down an alley to a bar with a dilapidated sign out front that read "O'Malley's" in faded letters, checking a letter to confirm he was in the right place. After he was sure this was where he was supposed to be, man walked in, seeing that the interior of the bar, as well as the patrons, seemed to match the sign out front. It was dimly lit and badly in need of a remodeling, and the men that sat at the tables were unwashed, obviously poor, and appeared destitute. The man ignored the rabble and made his way to the back room.

Waiting for him was a woman at a table. She had a voluptuous figure and luscious red hair that flowed past her shoulders without a single lock out of place. The woman wore a blood red dress that seemed to glimmer in the dim room, contrasting the worn nature of her surroundings. Her very presence was ethereal and luring, and it could be felt everywhere throughout the small space. "Ah, I see you've arrived, Ned. I'm Ms. Doyle, your new employer. Do take a seat."

Thomas walked down the sidewalk, his cap pulled low over his eyes so the metal blade just barely glinted to passer-bys, almost as if it were winking menacingly.

He soon came to his destination, a bar that had long since seen better days. Worn down to the structural equivalent of an aging man, it was a wonder it had yet to be torn down. Pushing the door in, Thomas examined the crowd inside. Mostly those who fortune had spat upon in favor of frowning, they didn't appear threatening, a factor that only further set his nerves on edge.

Ignoring the instinct  that warned him of danger, he continued past the patrons to a private room where a woman with red hair and a fellow who looked less like a man and more like a statue that decided to go for a stroll. Thomas approached the two and placed his cap on the table, the razors and tabletop clinging quietly as they met. Thomas sat down, knowing he had a place there, and pulled his pocket watch out to check the time.

@Hell-Jumper

Ms. Doyle, who seemed to have a sly grin permanently plastered on her face, turned her attention to Thomas when he took a seat. "Mr. Murphy, I'm so glad you could make it," she purred, speaking with a voice like velvet. "You know, It's a shame what happened to your brother, and it's a shame you didn't get the recognition you deserve for serving your country. Although, people will be knowing your name soon enough."

Veselovskaya Valentina Mikhailovna

Valya walked down the sidewalk, tightening the belt around her coat with one hand before taking a puff from her cig in the other. Sticking her free hand in her pocket as she fumbled around in her pocket for the letter she had received which named the place she was supposedly supposed to be. Illuminating the page with the light from her cigarette locating the name through the jumble of words. It was rare she found herself on this side of the city, mostly staying near where her uncle held the most control seeing it would be safer for her than to go outside of that power.

Finding the name and a few misguided turns she found herself under the sign. Taking one final drag from her cigarette Valya dropped it and extinguished it with her heel. Opening the door she walked inside. Her heels making her presence known before she stopped to locate the people she was apparently supposed to meet. A small smirk played around on her lips as she found the miscellaneous bunch, walking towards them, her curly red hair bouncing with the movement. Undoing the belt that held her coat she revealed a black dress, perhaps a little too immodest but none the less she loved it, hugging her in all the right places.

Laying her jacket down on her seat before she sat down and immediately pulled out a cigarette and placed it between her teeth. Upon lighting it she took a long drag before tilting her head up and blowing the smoke up. Living with her uncle taught her three things. 1. Always walk into a place as if you own it because one day you probably will, 2. Showing fear could very well be your demise, and 3. Never skimp on buying vodka. So far she was doing two out of the three things she was taught. Looking at those who gathered at the table she eyed the woman especially only due to how similar they were, it was almost humorous.  The other two were funny in the sense of how unusual they were. One was displaying his razors while the other simply was unusual.

@Aio

Ms. Doyle couldn't help but be amused as well, and allowed a light chuckle to escape her lips. Although, aside from the obvious similarities, Ms. Doyle's attraction seemed to be almost ethereal and beyond anything physical.

"Miss Mikhailovna, it's a pleasure to meet you. You managed to find the place easy enough, yes? Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, how's your father?"

Joy had carefully followed the directions of the letter to the bar called O'Malley's. Upon arriving, she had to glance down at the letter one more time to make sure this was where she needed to be. She entered the dingy looking bar and was slightly taken aback, but not too surprised. She had expected it. The interior of the bar looked just as run down as it did on the exterior. A few men at the bar glanced toward Joy. Most would say she was pleasant to look at, especially in her blouse and tight pencil skirt with her dark unbuttoned wool coat on top. Even with the current job she had now, Joy was able to afford some nice things for herself. The most important to her, personally, was her clothes and make up. She had to look presentable anywhere she went, and she believed any woman ought to.

Her fingers gently tugged at her loose curls nervously while her eyes scanned the area of the building until they landed on a lady who caught her attention, three other people sitting at the same table with her. No doubt this is where she needed to go. Joy made her way to the table in the back, not wanting them to wait any longer than they had to. She glanced at all the faces at the table before she took off her coat and sat down at an available seat. "Hello" she greeted everyone in general, giving a nod as she got settled. She wasn't sure if she was the last one to arrive, or if there would be more guests who were supposed to be arriving. 

@Hell-Jumper @Aio @The Awakened Moon

Before she could get a response from Valya, Ms. Doyle's attention was taken by Joy. "Hello, Ms. Caldwell, and thanks you for coming. I do hope your dear mother and sister are doing alright."

Ms. Doyle paused for a moment and briefly looked over everyone at the table before leaning back in her chair. "Well, it appears everyone is present, so we can begin. I am Ms. Doyle, your new employer. As I'm sure you all know, the work you'll be doing is criminal in nature, and most certainly would not be considered 'moral' by any standard. Aside from that though, this work will also be... strange. From the unique weapons all of you carry, you know there is more to this world than most may realize, and you'll be dealing heavily with the supernatural. Although, I'm sure the reward will make it all worthwhile.

Ms. Doyle paused again, flashing everyone a devious grin. "Now, your first job is simple: I want the district attorney, Alan Mallory, dead. I don't care how you do it: slip into his bedroom in the dead of night and cut his throat or slaughter everyone in his office; as long as the man dies. You'll come back here when the job is done. Understood?"

Vayla smiled at Ms. Doyle's question. "Yes, I found it just fine." She said taking a drag from her cigarette, nearly choking on on her smoke as the woman asked about her father, catching herself so she wouldn't make a fool of herself. "Can't say. We have really had the time to chat." Her words had a slight edge to the which caused her accent to make itself more apparent. No matter how long she lived in the states she could never get rid of it, mainly due to her close-knit circle consisting of mostly pure breed Russians.

She watched as a woman walked in, she was pretty for sure but more so the innocent kind, not seeming like the type who got her hands dirty. Her attention was taken away from the woman back to Ms. Doyle as she spoke, though she wasn't necessarily listening till she spoke with the district attorney. Her uncle had a rather good standing with the man, a crooked politician, the best kind. Tapping off the excess of her cigarette, she thought about the backlash she would receive if outed. Though the attorney also had many enemies, she just hoped the blame would fall to one of the smaller gangs. Getting close to the attorney was the easy part but she was unsure if she really wanted to betray her uncle. Even with her doubt, Vayla nodded, holding her cigarette between her fingers as she spoke. "Will do." Flicking the ash from her cigarette into the ashtray provided for her, keeping eye contact with Ms.Doyle.

Thomas gave a short chuckle and looked at the woman. Like you actually give a damn. The man kept his temper in control, and instead of replying, took out a flask of whiskey, which he opened and placed on the table. He knew it was rude to bring your own drinks to a bar but he didn't give a damn, especially in these circumstances.

The former soldier studied the two women who entered after him, noting the similarities between Ms. Doyle and the first one and the second's deceptively innocent appearance. Thomas had been studying the habits of the other four people in the room when Doyle spoke again. Already, she was asking for them to kill a high profile target. It wouldn't be a cakewalk, but knowing he would be able to do it alone, he figured it would be possible with four.

"Consider it done.", he stated, taking a drink from his flask before closing it and placing it inside his jacket. The man stood up before picking up his cap and pulling it back to its position. "Do you have his address?", he asked Ms. Doyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joy's eyes shot up immediately when Ms. Doyle mentioned her mother and sister. "They are fine" she mumbled quietly, almost in an ill-mannered tone. She glanced at everyone else in the room. Joy didn't particularly like it when others, especially those she didn't really know, mentioned her mother. It was her own personal life, and Joy much preferred to keep her very personal life private from strangers. Granted, these strangers could become pretty close in the future. They would be doing illegal and dirty work together.

She wasn't surprised from the first task that Ms. Doyle had given the four. It didn't seem that difficult to her. Maybe if it was just her alone killing the district attorney, it would be a laborious task. But the more, the merrier she thought to herself. "Understood" Joy said as her attention moved from Ms. Doyle to one of the men that eventually stood up. To Joy, he seemed like he knew what he was doing and probably have done something similar before. She knew this would be dangerous but it's the first job, so surely the next jobs would be a lot harder than just assassinating...right?

@Hell-Jumper @The Awakened Moon @Aio

"The district attorney's office isn't exactly a private residence, and his house is at 322 13th avenue," explained Ms. Doyle. "It's in a more upscale neighborhood, so do keep that in mind. Now, don't come back until the job is done."

Ned stood up next and finally piped up. "C'mon, we ain't gettin' paid to be wastin' time," he said with a gravelly voice. Rather than wait for his new partners in crime, Ned started making his way out of the bar and expected them to follow. He didn't have time for anyone who would be dead weight, and for all he knew, that could be all of them.

[SIZE= 1.3rem]Valya watched as the man stood up already eager to get the job done. Sticking the remainder of her cigarette in the ashtray as she got up and shrugged her coat on as she listened to the other's talk. She already knew where the attorney lived so and address was not needed but she decided to keep that to herself [/SIZE]till[SIZE= 1.3rem] further notice. She looked at the others waiting for them to get up.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 1.3rem]"Got it." She said in response to Ms.Doyle as she pursed her lips to suppress a laugh. Though she smiled faded turning into a rather annoyed look as the other man stood up and proceeded to walk out of the bar, mumbling something about time and money. "Tch." Valya groaned as she followed after the man that apparently had appointed himself the leader of this group. Now it could be he was just in a hurry but once Valya felt he was telling her what to do she stopped being so compliant, which happened often, especially in her line of work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 1.3rem] [/SIZE]Catching up with him, her heels clacked on the concrete ground as she attempted to keep up with him. "Why in so much rush?" A phrase she often heard from her American co-workers. She understood this man wished to get things done but at the same time, the attorney wasn't going to go anywhere. "I think you have forgotten that you are part of a team." She spoke, looking over at him before looking behind her to make sure the others had kept up. 

Murphy memorized the address and turned to the door as the other man passed him."Let's get a few things straight. One; no-one here is in charge yet. Two; if we get caught because we went in without a plan, we won't be getting paid at all and we'll still be standing around not getting paid", he stated, easily keeping pace,"We should lure him away from the home, preferably in territory one us controls so we can keep the coppers from reporting his body and linking it to us."

Thomas was all for getting on with the mission, but he had fought too hard in his life to die in a prison cell. The bodies he left in his wake both legally and illegally weren't there for nothing. They were reminders that he would do what he had to in order to ensure the continuation of his bloodline. He had failed his brother, he wouldn't fail his nephew or any more of his kin ever again. And he would be known as a successful man, for better or worse.

@Aio @Hell-Jumper

Ned turned to the Russian woman first. "I'm in a hurry because I have a job to do, and I don't have time to let dead weight slow me down."

Next, he turned to the other man. This man seemed familiar to Ned, and it was almost certainly because of his past criminal ties. "Weren't you one if them Cutter boys? Gypsies, yeah?" he asked, not bothering to respond to what he had said.

Joy gave one last look at Ms. Doyle before she sighed and stood up, putting her wool jacket back on and gently pulling her long curly hair out from underneath the jacket once it was on. “Fair enough” she mumbled to Ms. Doyle’s comment on none of them coming back until the district attorney was dead. She followed behind the other three and kept up with them as they all walked toward the bar’s exit.

She bit her lip as she heard what everyone was saying, not surprised that there was already light bickering going on between the group. None of them knew each other yet, so Joy expected something like this would happen.

She abruptly came to a stop though when the man who had been leading the rest of them out of the bar turned to the Russian woman. One of Joy’s eyebrows rose for a second before furrowing as she looked at the man. “You haven’t even seen what most of us are capable of and you’re assuming we’re dead weight?” she questioned him, trying her best to sound polite as she gave off a faux smile toward him. “We all have a job to do, hon. The same job as you.” After she said this, Joy smirked, still giving off her innocent demeanor.

Valya pulled out yet another cigarette, noticing how fast she was going through them and sighed, realizing how stressed she really was. Sticking it between her lips she covered the flames of her lighter with her hand as she lit the cigarette. Chuckling slightly at the man as he spoke, seeing how high strung he was. "Well, we do not have to worry about how we will lure the attorney away. He is good friends with my uncle and seemed to have a soft spot for me last time we met." She spoke as she held her cigarette in one hand, turning to look back at the other man. A cutter boy? She eyed him for a moment before looking away. 

"If like you said we have no time to do the wasting of then why bring up the past now?" She questioned the man before looking back at the other woman and nodding to her words. "Perhaps instead of assuming we should all know what one is capable of. In fact, I shall go first." Valya spoke before taking a drag of her cigarette, tilting her head back to breathe out the smoke. "I am Veselovskaya Valentina Mikhailovna or Valya as most Americans call me. I have close ties to the Aleskeevich family seeing he is my uncle." She left her ability out of her little introduction deciding she would allow everyone to speak up before bringing that little information up.

Already these people were starting to tick her off, but like always she took the edge off with her cigarette. Perhaps her smoking habit was getting on the nerves of others but if it meant less stress Valya really could care less.

@Aio @The Awakened Moon @Hell-Jumper

"Y'know, I'm Irish Catholic, and my ma always told me to never trust an Englishman." Ned glanced over at Joy. "My old boss, Old Man Kelly, head of the Kelly crime family, told me to never trust a Gypsie." This time Ned's gaze was directed at Thomas. "And the Ukranian couple that owned the the bar that I got my first job at told me to never trust a Russian." Finally, Ned gave Valya a glare. "But if there's one thing I learned on my own, it's to never trust someone you don't know."

Ned paused for a minute and walked onto the sidewalk in the pouring rain. "I heard the D.A.'s gonna be at some charity dinner tomorrow. Might be a good chance to take him out then," he said, acting as if all of what he just said didn't happen.

Thomas raised an eyebrow to the Russian woman as she laughed. Something about her both intrigued and unnerved him. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind. ", he replied,"Let's just hope he's still fond of you."

As Ned spoke, he followed the man with his gaze and held his tongue and more importantly his temper. It bothered him that the man recognized him but he couldn't even decide who the man worked for. He listened intently to the following conversation, scoffing quietly as he quoted Kelly. "Kelly nu ar ști un țigan dacă el a spus el este avere.", he muttered to himself. 

Murphy nodded as the man mentioned where the man might be the next day."That's as good an idea as any",he said,"I say we come back here tomorrow morning and come up with a plan. I'm not sure about you three, but I have a legitimate business to attend to." And a bit of illegitimate business as well, he thought to himself. His company, Murphy Company Limited, was built upon his criminal expeditions.

Couldn't help but laugh at the man as he explained all the reasons he did not trust them. All quite ridiculous but she felt there was no swaying him. "So do you always follow others so blindly? Or are you really incapable of forming your own opinion?" She was actually curious seeing he was only spouting out what he was told and not really what he thought. "Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking to be all buddy buddy but if you wish to get this task done with then you must at least have an open mind. You are talking how we might be the downfall of this group but it looks to be as if you are going to be the downfall and the weakest link." She gave him a smirk in return to his glare. 

"Charity dinner? Do you know how many cameras will be there? Might as well turn ourselves in when we get to the door." She spoke matter of factly, stopping with him as she pursed her lips. "We must get to him before or after the event, security will be far more relaxed. I can get us in easy, having some favors I can call in, but let's not make this bigger than it has to be." She spoke a small smirk present on her face as the other man had spoken. " With what we shared I don't think that man could ever forget me," Valya said with a wink, dropping the nub of her cigarette and stepping on it with the toe of her shoes. "My uncle thinks I'm in Russia, and my father has not written to me in months. Therefore all I'm focused on is this job." She nodded when he spoke of meeting back here tomorrow morning, deciding to find a boarding house or a hotel to spend the rest of her night in, seeing if she went back to her little apartment her uncle would find out she never left America.

@Aio @Hell-Jumper @The Awakened Moon

"My point, Little Miss Hammer and Sickle, is that right now, I don't know any of you. I don't know what any of you are capable of, and I don't know how likely any of you are to stab someone else in the back. As far as I know, the second we get this job done, any one of you could put a bullet in the rest of us and take everything for yourself. I'm gonna keep an eye on all of you, and I frankly don't expect any of you to have complete trust in me either. Now, this bar seems as good a place as any to meet up, and it would be best if we got together bright and early." With that, Ned walked off. 

Joy practically glared at the Irish man, already irritated by him and his comments. But she knew he was partially right about what he said, especially when he mentioned not trusting any of them. Of course she wouldn't trust any of them just yet, and she didn't expect for any of them to trust her either. She decided not to comment anything to him, staying quiet for the most part until the Russian girl mentioned a charity dinner event that the district attorney was attending. "She's right" Joy commented, agreeing with her as she nodded. "We should probably wait until after the dinner, that way we have a better chance of not getting caught."

Joy pulled her wool coat closer to her body, watching as the man walked off. "Alright then" she sighed softly. "Looks like we're meeting back here in the morning." She glanced up at the bar sign before looking at the other two that were left beside her. "I'll see you two later" she told them politely, smiling somewhat as she gave an official goodbye compared to the other man. She turned on her heels and flipped her hair over her shoulders as she started to walk across the street. Joy didn't want to get on either of their bad side, seeing that she'd be working with them for some time.

Thomas pulled his metal cigarette case from his pocket, took one, and lit it with a match. Taking a drag, he turned his head to the Russian. "Ms. Mikhailovna", he said in farewell, touching his fingers to his cap, before he turned and strode away, his footsteps almost silent despite the street being nearly empty.

As he walked, he went over the events of the meeting in his mind. Something about Doyle was off-putting. He was well versed in superstition and black magic, but this woman was a whole new ordeal. She seemed almost... otherworldly.

"Hammer and Sickle eh? Original." She scoffed as she waved him away and chuckled. Watching him walk away till he was out of her sight, sighing mainly out of relief because he was gone. She knew she needed to get over him even though he struck a hard cord with her. She actually wished to applaud him for actually being able to push her buttons. Though her thoughts were turned elsewhere as the other woman spoke. Smiling slightly at her before she walked off into the shadows.

She looked to the only other person left and sighed as he acknowledged her, pulling out a cigarette as she decided to mess with him a bit. Leaning in with her cigarette between her lips, using his to light hers before straightening up and smirking. Taking a drag as he spoke, holding her cigarette in one hand as she tipped her head as he left, leaving her to herself. She decided it was best to leave as well, still not having a place to spend the night. Walking down the sidewalk before she too disappeared into the shadows, the only indication of her presence was the clicking of her heels before they to disappeared.

@Aio @Hell-Jumper @The Awakened Moon

Early the next morning, Ned was back at O'Malley's waiting for the others. Sunlight spilled through the windows into the bar, which was completely empty save for Ned sitting at a table right in the center. He was dressed like any working class man, slacks held up by suspenders, a simple white shirt, and a flat cap. The one thing that made him distinct though was the shoulder holster strapped around his chest that was carrying a sawed off shotgun. It had been hidden by his coat last night, but now there was no need to conceal it. The shotgun would have also been normal, except for a solid red circle on the handle with a black rune inscribed in it.

After the first meeting with Ms. Doyle, Ned had put in a few calls and did a little scouting, and had already gotten a few ideas for plans they could use. Now all he needed to do was wait for the other three.

Valya walked down the sidewalk with her arm slung over a man who wrapped his around her waist. It was obvious the man was intoxicated as for Valya it was questionable. Stopping at the door of O'Malley's she gave him the courtesy of lighting her cigarette for her before sending him on his drunken way. She entered the dimly lit bar, a smirk present on her face as she made her way towards Ned. Again like most days, she wore a form-fitting black dress, with a low neckline. Her heels clicking against the floor before sitting down across from Ned.

Pulling out a lighter, opening and closing the top as she sighed. Her thumb going over the inscription on the front as she looked around. "Good morning. " She spoke, flagging down the bartender ordering a shot of vodka and a cup of black coffee. Tapping off the excess of her cigarette in the ashtray before bringing it back up to her lips. Breathing out the smoke before she smoke. "Ready to go over the plans?" She asked genuinely curious, having done some research of her own through the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back