DBs in a legion

orionstark1482

in a legion of the Realm how many DBs should their be?

i was thinking about this because i wondered how much of a difference they make in a battle?

There are typically ten. While the Realm wishes they filled every single officer spot, it's just not feasible. Usually ten, sometimes as many as thirty.

Ten is truly sketchy for a legion--we're talking about only the legion commander, one or two sorcerors attached to the legion, two or three legates and adjutants to the commander, and the remaining five serving as dragonlords.

This means winglord and below are all non-DBs (Half-Caste at best)...

Read Second Edition, about the Realm. That's how it is. They want all dragon lords to be DBs, so make it twenty. There are mortal talon lords. But not all the DBs serve in the legions. Even if they impressed all 10,000 into service, they'd still need more to fill the positions.

CW is right, there are typically ten right now and I'd expect that number to drop when the houses fully staff their own legions in preperations for the civil war.

As for how much difference they make... a house of bell student is going to augment his men quite a bit... but these are the rare elite, I guess not more than 3 out of 10 are those. the others might not even be really martial inclined at worst and just sit on a post that pays...

Three in ten may be too generous, as well.

The four Academies are the elite among the DB schools; only the best and brightest are offered positions there. To say that 30% of all DBs serving in the military have attended there...

What percentage of the officers in the US military attended the three Academies, for example?

One in twenty is more my guess.

However, I wouldn't underestimate the Pasiap's Stair graduates either...

The four Academies are the elite among the DB schools; only the best and brightest are offered positions there. To say that 30% of all DBs serving in the military have attended there...

What percentage of the officers in the US military attended the three Academies, for example?

Yeh I think the pasiap's stair guys hand the petty boys from house of bells their asses on a plate... but I think they are even more rare.

Safim said:

Yeh I think the pasiap's stair guys hand the petty boys from house of bells their asses on a plate... but I think they are even more rare.
so how big of a difference does 10 DBs make. how many extra mortal troops do you think you need to compensate?

if a legion of 5,000 with 10 DBs goes up against someone else how many soldiers would the other army need to stand a chance?

Take a look at the 2nd Ed mass combat rules.

By the time one gets to legion-sized forces, more troops isn't always better--unless they're properly led.

It all depends on the dragon blooded. If they are of the "I whack stuff" kind then 5-10 elite soldiers are all it probably takes to get one down... so for 10 you need 100 soldiers to be sure to kill them off efficiently.

If they go for augmenting their troops... then you better come in HUGE numbers cause the heavy realm infantry is nothing to joke about when it is properly boosted by dragon blooded officers. extra health levels, extra dice... immunity to the anima banner of their leader... elemental battlefield. a dragon blooded and his buffed up honourguard is probably the last thing most enemies of the realm saw in the last couple of centuries.

Read: Saloy Hin, in the Outcaste book. He's a Pasiap Stair graduate gone renegade with his entire legion plus an armory of jade daiklaives and powerbows. This motherfucker is a huge threat to the Realm. He operates near the Varang City-States.

However' date=' I wouldn't underestimate the Pasiap's Stair graduates either...[/quote']
Read: Saloy Hin, in the Outcaste book. He's a Pasiap Stair graduate gone renegade with his entire legion plus an armory of jade daiklaives and powerbows. This motherfucker is a huge threat to the Realm. He operates near the Varang City-States.
 Potential threat, sure, but huge threat to the Realm?

One crack legion, even if Hin has it equipped up to late Shogunate standards, can wreak havoc in the Realm-controlled Threshold, but isn't quite sufficient to beard the Isle. Even if he started recruiting and training as soon as he and his legion disappeared, he has at most three or four well-trained and blooded Legions, in solid AoS equipping.

Now, if Hin throws in with Ejava...

Exactly, it says explicitly that's what he's trying to do, along with communiques with Tepet Arada and remaining Tepet House leaders.

Just remember, the alliance-to-be-built between the two forces isn't necessarily carved in stone.

While Hin undoubtedly respects Ejava, he has to take into account that she's not officially pronounced a renegade (yet), and that House politics (especially with Tepet in such a tenuous position) may result in a situation where selling him out to the rest of the Realm may further Tepet interests more. In addition, whether the elders of Tepet and Ejava are on the same page is open to question.

Hin knows that should he re-immerse himself directly in Realm affairs, it's a one-shot, do-or-die attempt. The rewards are great, but compared to the risk and the chance of success? Carving out a small empire elsewhere in Creation has to weigh heavily as an option.

Hence why he has carved out his own little slice of land in the Varang. He took over a fortress Manse, renamed it the Iron Manse I believe. Pays heavily for astrological forcasts from the Varang, aside from the Empire, he's waiting on something.

Perhaps. I've tried to come up with something aside from that and perhaps FaFL, but I can't think of anything.

That's why in a game I ran, the beginning of my 'epic' He had retrieved the Eye of Autochthon.

one question...

someone said that few dragon blooded attended the house of bells...

but arent most of those who join the legions graduates.

just checking.

oh it said that was rare for dragon touched to command more then a talon.

then again White wolf cant seem to keep track of its own math.

one question...

just checking.

No, not all legion officers were former in the house of bells. Most of them join legions, recently a lot of them join house legions.

Very few of the officers are actually from there.

Safim said:
one question...

just checking.

No, not all legion officers were former in the house of bells. Most of them join legions, recently a lot of them join house legions.

Very few of the officers are actually from there.
the impression that i got from the book was that MOST DBs from well to do families go on to one of the four academies. house of bells and 1000 scales being the most popular. and most of the house of bell grads join the legion for a time at least. their are other academies but they are relatively small except for Pasiaps stairs which caders to those who can't afford house of bells.

Actually, Pasiap is for those who can't afford House of Bells, or are outcastes being trained for the Realm Army along with a little culturing, mainly beating. Actually some of the more popular of the four are the Spiral Academy, mainly for those wily Ledaal and Ragara. Though the Ledaal love to send their kids off to Immaculate school.

I retract my earlier statement about only small numbers of DBs attending the House of Bells; apparently, there are only four recognized secondary schools suitable for Dynasts, and over 90% of all DBs that graduate from primary school attend the four academies.

Therefore, anywhere from 10% to 30% of all DBs have gone to the House of Bells, depending on the ST's pleasure.

CW--as far as I can tell from the description in Outcaste, Pasiap's Stair is exclusively for outcastes. DBs in patrician houses are either adopted into Houses where funding their education isn't a problem, or have arrangements with Houses to cover tuition expenses. Or they could be in the less than 10% that drift off somewhere or go directly into the IO without attending the Cloister.[/b]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back