• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Danger and deceit (Completed)

She chewed her bottom lip, not caring now that she appeared nervous. If she wanted what tentative alliance she had with Logan to continue, she had to be honest. But what would that cost her? So far only Seoc knew who she really was, why she was in Myrr.

Louisa wanted to trust him - though, perhaps she already did. So she told him the truth.

"Louisa Marie De Rosa," she said quietly, "agent of the Blue Light Order. I'm looking for the Order's stolen Holy Book."

"I see." Logan nodded. And he said nothing else on the subject. Instead he uncrossed his arms and opened the ledger.

"Hmm, there are only purchases and sales recorded here. Let me see... Oh, yes, here it says that an item, which is suspiciously entered only as "blue light", had arrived on the Dancing Dolphin. It's a galley he used to transport most of his shipments." He gave the ledger back. "As far as I know that galley is still docked here."

It did not look like he would mention Louisa's employment or quest it all. In fact, if she did not know better, she would have thought that he did not even hear her.

- Thank him.
- Rush to the galley immediately.
- Go eat first.

At his lack of a reaction she raised her eyebrows but decided not to comment; that's what she wanted, wasn't it? He seemed accepting and that's all she could ask for.

Accepting and very helpful! Maybe not all was lost after all.

"Ooh, thank you!" She said, clasping one of his hands with both of hers and giving it a squeeze. "Thank you so much, Logan. I am in your debt; anything you need."

Logan flinched back, pulling his hand out of hers like he was singed. Then he blushed furiously and turned away from her in an attempt to hide it. He was an oddball.

"Go away now, I can't tell you anything else!" He exclaimed in a defensive manner, hopeful to get her out of his place as soon as possible. But, he also softly murmured. "Be careful."

- Go to the galley.
- Go eat and then go to the galley.
- Go somewhere else first.

Louisa blinked, surprised by his reaction. She caught a glimpse of his face, flushed red, before he turned. It struck her suddenly that maybe things had been changing between them and she hadn't even realized it. Feeling her own cheeks alight, Louisa held the ledger against her chest.

She stood there a moment more, despite Logan having turned his back on her. Then she smiled.

"I will," she said, before running off to the galley.

c2a0d937abcb737d81e4f80a6bb193c4.jpg

When Louisa arrived to the docks, there were four ships docked there. She was able to pinpoint the galley she needed by the name that Logan had provided. Wooden planks were placed on it, leading to the deck. There were a couple of sailors walking around and carrying crates into the boat. One man stood at the rudder commandeering the sailors that were working around.

Louisa had various options here. She could stroll directly to the captain and ask him about the boat's cargo. She could also stop one of the sailors with the same question. However, there was no doubt that she would need to use some kind of bribery with them - either financial or physical. If she did not want that, then she could wait in the shadows until nightfall and try sneaking inside and finding the boat's books. But, she also did have a prior engagement scheduled for that night.

- Wait.
- Talk to the captain.
- Talk to one of the sailors.

Eying the galley, Louisa hummed in thought. She had to meet with the assassin tonight, no exceptions lest she want her throat cut in her sleep, and that left little time for sneaking aboard under the cover of dark. She didn't want to wait, either - the last time she took her time her lead had been killed. Louisa did not want to make that mistake again.

That left her with two options, one she wasn't particularly fond of. With only twelve silver, her pouches were rather light, too. Depending on how much they'd bribe for, Louisa might not have a choice.

Closing her eyes, she inhaled slowly the smell of salt and grime. "It's not a big deal," she told herself, trying to loosen the lock on what was once her old mindset. Preparing for the worst-case scenario. She opened her eyes and headed for one of the crew members. Their price was, hopefully, less than what their captain's would be.

"Hello there," she smiled sweetly. Inside her stomach rolled, heart screaming to be proper, not cute. Twirling a lock of her hair, Louisa looked the chosen crew member up and down, coy. "I'm looking for a shipment called 'blue light' and I heard it's on this ship. Is that true?"

Hopefully she had the coin to pull this off.

"Uh..." The sailor was a tall and skinny teenager, with freckles all over his face and uncovered arms. He looked at Louisa with an expression that spelled out slowness. It took him a good moment to decipher what she was asking, but he especially perked up when she mentioned the bribe. "Yes, miss." He said with a grin and a clumsy salute. "I'd like to help." Then his gaze dropped and he fiddled with the hem of his tunic. "But, I don't know anything about that. I just... carry stuff and tie the ropes."

- Find someone else.
- Ask him to get you inside the ship.

Playing sweet, Louisa waited patiently for the sailor to finish speaking. She pouted a little, "Oh, that's a pity." Tapping her chin with her forefinger thoughtfully, Louisa hummed. "Can you get me inside the ship, instead? You would be so very helpful." Nonchalantly she scanned the deck of the ship, catching glimpses of the workers.

Getting caught by the captain would be no good, but she didn't want to put him or her on alert if their price was too high and she had to decline.

"Uh..." The teenager fidgeted. "Umm..." He was blushing furiously now. "Yes, I can do that." His gaze turned to the other sailors and after he made sure that they are all occupied, he walked towards one of large crates set aside, a little farther from view, so no one on the deck would spot them. "You can get inside and I'll carry you on the deck, uhh, miss." The teenager said, his eyes now finally meeting hers. "But, um, I'd like a kiss from a pretty lady." And his gaze fell to his feet again.

- Kiss him.
- Don't kiss him.

Over the course of talking to the teenager, Louisa found it easier to smile. He seemed sweet, shy even, and the freckles that peppered his face were a cupid's arrow straight to the heart. Surely she could indulge him a little? Poor boy needed the confidence.

"Of course," she said. Leaning in and pressing her lips briefly to his didn't feel dirty, nor did the exchange itself. Not really. He didn't appear to be scummy like most men she'd met in her travels, and all he'd asked for was a simple kiss - not her body.

It was Louisa's second kiss since arriving in Myrr, but instead of a bribe it felt more like a charity.

The teenage sailor perked up when he felt the warmth of Louisa's lips. He also blushed even worse and was quite unable to look at her in the eye or to speak coherently. Louisa did get inside the large crate afterwards and the boy picked it up with ease, despite his skinny arms. He seemed very used to the weight, it came with doing this kind of job daily.

--

Louisa was carried for a while. When she felt the crate get put down finally, she was unable to tell where she was located. There were no sounds on the outside and no light came through the cracks between the boards which the crate was made out of. She could have been inside the ship, perhaps somewhere in the hull. This would be a good chance for her to try snooping about.

- Go out of the crate and explore!

Cautiously, Louisa peeked out the top of the crate before climbing out. Back to business - though she'd been at it from the start.

Determined to get in and out as quickly as possible, Louisa set to work looking inside crates and barrels. While she hurried, she still made a point to give each container a thorough checking.

The containers were filled with fruit and vegetables - apples and potatoes for the most part. Some also held silks and various blankets, rugs and clothing. None held anything useful for Louisa and most certainly nothing that resembled the Holy Book. There were doors at the end of the cargo hold that led outside into a hallway and they were wide open. Just across the hallway she could see another doors that led into a different a room. Perhaps the captains cabin? If there was any useful information stored here, it had to be in the captain's books.

- Go to the cabin.

Looking inside the containers made Louisa's stomach grumble, so she snatched one of the smaller apples she saw and stuffed it in her pouch for later. She didn't like stealing - especially after the kindness shown to her by the sailor boy - but she had yet to eat today and didn't know when she'd next get the opportunity.

Not finding anything of interest, she headed to the captain's cabin. Before she walked in, though, she pressed her ear to the door - as always.

"What are you doing, sneaking about my ship, woman?" A voice came down from the stairs on the other side of the hallways.

It was the same older man that stood at the rudder of the ship before. The captain. He looked down at Louisa from the top stair, a sour expression on his face. He was seemed to be a generally foul mooded person, which was apparent by his permanently furrowed brows and a glare in his dark eyes. His hair and beard were long and gray and he had a habit of twirling his mustache when he spoke.

But, he did not look like a person that was immune to bribery. Although... Louisa only had a handful of coins and a some jewelry, who knew if that would be enough to bribe a ship captain. She could try to sweet talk him, but judging by his stern expression that would probably be a dead end. She could try saying the truth too and see where it leads her, perhaps the man was not fond of his employer like so many of them weren't. Or she could think of an eligible story that would sway him in her direction.

- Bribe him.
- Try to persuade him with truth.
- Think of a lie.

Louisa nearly jumped. She turned her eyes to the captain, taking in his appearance. He didn't look sleazy, which was a good and bad thing; her charm likely wouldn't work, but at least she wouldn't feel the need to resort to such a thing. Bribery might, assuming he wasn't fabulously wealthy or had high standards in dealings.

To protect what coins she did have, Louisa would try to persuade him with the truth, first.

She forced her lips into an easy smile. "In your eyes, Sir, likely nothing noble. I'm looking for a shipment titled 'blue light.'" Louisa quirked a brow, appearing nonchalant despite the bees bumbling in her gut. "I've been lead to believe your employer stole it from me. Or had someone steal it, anyway."

The captain burst out laughing then. It was an unexpected sound. "Well, that shipment is certainly popular." He scratched his grey beard before speaking again. "I don't know who stole what, but you are the third person asking about it in the past ten days. It is gone, woman, it was on my ship for an hour only after we docked. I don't know what's so interesting about that package and I don't care. I have earned good money on giving information about it." He extended his hand, palm up. "Fifty silver and I'll tell you who got to the shipment first."

Louisa's stolen necklaces were approximately worth that much. That would leave her with only a silver ring and what was left of her own money.

- Give him the necklaces.
- Offer something else.
- Try threatening him.

Her mood fouled in the span of time it took to hear about the shipment. Of course it was gone - things had been going too smoothly.

Letting out a sigh, Louisa handed him the stolen necklaces. She did not want to offer him herself nor did she have the time for that, if he even agreed. Her own money and the remaining silver ring would have to get her by until she could secure more coins.

"Now if that suffices," she began, "a name, please?"

"I'll take it." The captain grasped the offered necklaces and they were soon thrown in one of his pockets. For a moment it looked like he might just call the guards and threw her out, but after a longer pause he finally begun talking. "Lazarius paid for the shipment. However, it was picked up by a man named Lethos, over a month ago. I would have forgotten about that crate by now if I wasn't reminded about it so many damn times over the last two weeks." He then made a dismissive gesture. "That's all you are going to get. Go now, and don't come back, woman, 'cause I won't be as civilized the next time. You are nothing but trouble, all of you people."

Louisa already knew about Lethos from the journal she had. He was living in Upper Myrr if he was still living at all. But, she had more immediate concerns on her mind. She should really find a place to rest and eat so she can face her opponent in full strength that night.

- Go to Logan.
- Go to Seoc.
- Go to the Three Legged Mare.
- Go somewhere else.

Dipping her head out of instinctual politeness, Louisa thanked the captain before hurrying off his ship. When she stepped back onto the docks she let out a breath.

"...Lethos, huh?" She hoped he was still alive and held answers, but such wishful thinking would have to wait.

It didn't take her very long to decide on where to go; as of late, she'd begun to frequent Logan's warehouse often. Her coin pouches were thankful for it and, despite his temper, he made for decent company.

But just as she went to step forward she froze, remembering the blush on Logan's face earlier. There was little doubt that her visits had brought them closer; Louisa herself didn't find him nearly as frustrating as before and, dare she think it, she'd begun to look forward to seeing him.

That had to stop. Immediately.

But what if I don't make it tonight? She wondered. Then she frowned. All the more reason to let him be. Louisa knew how dangerous missions and the threat of death tended to make emotions run high. Louisa didn't know what her feelings for Logan were, exactly, but she knew something was starting there. She didn't trust it.

Dragging a hand down her face, Louisa opted to go to the Three Legged Mare. She could get a meal and a bit of rest for a few silver and, if she survived, she'd have a room to return to.

Last edited:
Louisa had gotten lunch and a room to rest in the afternoon while she waited for the sun to go down. The absence of Miss Fortune was obvious in the tavern and Zacharias was especially gloomy. His food was good as ever and the bed was clean and comfortable enough. Before she realized it, it was already time for her meeting with death.

--

She had been waiting at the edge of the forest for a couple of moments when a familiar voice greeted her.

"I see you have come to honour our agreement. That is good. I had hoped this would happen." The assasin appeared, but not on the clearing, he was behind Louisa, among the trees. He stood there now, with a hood covering most of his face. He was very tall. "Since this is a duel, Agent, there are certain rules. Let us discard our long range weapons and fight at close quarters. After all, it would not be very exciting should I fire a crossbow bolt at you right away."

- Agree and fight with the dagger.
- Propose a different rule.
- Refuse and attack.

"No long-range?" Narrowing her eyebrows, Louisa quickly thought of ways she might go around that particular rule. Very few, if any, came. Her bow was her weapon of choice - really the only tool she was properly trained in.

No, that wasn't true. She knew language better than anything. But how could words combat a skilled dagger?

"Alright," she said, not wanting a bolt in her back, either. It was obvious the assassin upped her in stealth. "I will follow your rule on one condition: I get to use words as my weapon."

Louisa thought back to the riddle game her mother had played with her as a child. For every riddle she got right, Louisa was allowed half an hour of play between studies. Her mother's riddles had been... Inexplicably difficult. She wasn't sure she could remember them now, but Louisa would try.

"I'll give you a riddle and if you guess correctly, we battle until one of us is hit. Then another riddle, and so on," she said. "If you fail three times, my words win and the duel is mine."

Louisa faked a smile and an air of playfulness. "Think of it as a game, if that suits your fancy."

Solving riddles was one thing, but creating them? That was another entirely.

Louisa could not see assassin's expression, but he let out a sound that might have been a low chuckle. "You are good with words, Agent, I'll give you that." He was silent for a moment, but then he finally nodded, very slowly, his shape barely visible in the darkness. "I accept."

He first discarded a very large number of shurikens and throwing knives, setting them one by one on the ground. Then he pulled a small one handed crossbow out of his cloak, also putting it down. Finally he unsheathed two long knives with wide blades, taking a combat stance. "Your turn, Agent. Put down your bow and ask your questions."

- Discard the bow and ask the first riddle.

Louisa managed to keep her composure; instead of sigh in relief, she set her bow and quiver down and jogged her memory. Something about taking... Or was it leaving?

With a jolt, Louisa remembered one of her favorite childhood rhymes. Easier and significantly shorter than the ones her mother usually gave, it was the only one she could think of at the moment.

"Here is the first riddle: The more you take, the more you leave behind," she began, eying how tall he was. "What am I?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back