Damsels and Dragons

>Wait for it to subside, then investigate.

It's scary enough with the two moons outside. If this world isn't a hallucination, it's a scary unknown. Best to stay away from danger in such a situation.

>Wait for it to subside, then investigate. It's safer. If we tried to watch from a distance, we'd probably end up getting involved anyway, if not hit by a stray arrow.

>Wait for it to subside, then investigate.

It took a while, but eventually the sounds of battle began to fade away. The fire and thunder were the first to go, followed by the clashes of metal on metal and finally the monstrous roars faded in to silence.

Deciding to play it safe, you wait a few more minutes after the sounds had faded before investigating. Only when you're absolutely sure that all is still and quiet do you leave your car and make your way towards what is undoubtedly a battlefield.

Before you go, however, you reach in to the glove box and pull out a flashlight to light your way. It's beam of light cuts a path through the darkness, illuminating the safest way to the battlefield so you don't trip and hurt yourself.

Carefully, ever so carefully, you make your way over the hillock, and what you see once you cross over the threshold takes your breath away.

The battlefield is strewn with corpses, but instead of men and soldiers you were expecting, the majority of the bodies belong to a strange creature you've never seen before.

Green of skin with pointed ears, they look like something out of that fantasy trilogy that came out a few years ago, the one with the ring that was important for some reason. They're garbed in patchwork, almost tribal looking armor made of a mixture of metal and laminate, and the bodies seem to have been scattered about, as though by some explosion. What really strikes you is the quantity. There are dozens of bodies of these green creatures, almost as though an entire force was set out for war.

The largest of these bodies however, looked nothing like the rest. It was a gigantic creature, almost as tall as an elephant and undoubtedly the source of the horrific roaring you had heard. It was covered head to toe with arrows, lacerations and what appeared to be burn marks. Even now, dead as anything else, you can't help but feel a little intimidated by it.

Something catches your eye among all the bodies, and you move to investigate. It's another hillock, smaller than the one you came over, and laying on it are the bodies of a eight or so humans. They're dressed in garb you don't recognize and many of them are in metal armor, wielding swords, spears and bows. It seems that these people were the opposing force in the battle, and they had taken to the hillock to gain the advantage of the high ground. It didn't seem to do them much good, however.

One of these figures, you note, is dressed in what appear to be plain robes, leaning on a staff and perforated by arrows, and the land leading from him in to the center of the green creatures is scorched and burnt.At his side is a book that has a strange light about it, and as you get close to investigate, you can all but taste the tang of electricity in the air. What is going on, you wonder.

Feeling exposed in the middle of the battlefield like this, you look around for something to protect yourself better than a simple knife. While scavenging from the dead leaves you with an unsavory feeling, you don't have much of a choice right now.

What do you take?

> A sword and the book

> A sword and a bow

> A bow and the book

OOC

Choose wisely...

@Bast @Killigrew @Riuma @Anomaly @Emiya Shin @Cirno @Genon @simj22 @Teh Frixz @Homage

Last edited by a moderator:
> A sword and the book.

Remember: Linear warriors, quadratic wizards. Physical fighters (ranged or melee) can be fearsome in combat, but ultimately they're still bound by the physical limitations of the human body. Wizards start off wimpy, but become powerful enough to break the laws of physics without even trying and can even become beings like liches, which are extremely dangerous in their own right. Also, don't believe for a second that bows are simply going to be a matter of pointing and shooting. Skeletons of medieval archers were found with physical deformities in the left arm, because the left arm was where an archer drew the bow from and they had to do this several times a minute. It'll fuck us up pretty badly.

As a result, I generally tend to lean towards the Magic Knight type when creating a fantasy character. A Magic Knight is sort of like a Kung-Fu Wizard. Even if our magic isn't as spectacular as someone who dedicates their training to magic alone, if someone were to come at us with an axe and we hadn't finished casting Head Explosion yet (or we were out of mana, or both), the axe would win. If instead we're wearing magic-amplifying plate armor and are wielding a mithril sword, things will likely go much more in our favor.

In other words, we get the best of both worlds if we get the sword and the book. And while the bow/book combination would be interesting (magic arrows anyone?), it leaves us defenseless if someone were to jump out at us in a dark alley. Granted, I suppose we'd come across a melee weapon at some point, but my point still stands.

Anyway, we should also remember our archetype: Tech support. IT knowledge and an understanding of electronics + magic = magitech, which would allow us to completely revolutionize this world in an even more spectacular way than if we just gave them factories.

Also @JayTee don't we need a quiver with arrows to use the bow? Or can we just conjure arrows?

@JayTee

Actually, I just realized: We still have a car, right? If the battle is over, what's stopping us from just driving onto the battlefield and picking up everything we find? I doubt we'll have problems carrying everything. We can systematically carry stuff back to the car and go grab more stuff, right? We could get the bow, sword, and the book!

Option D)

Take up your fists. All those late night watchings of WWE have trained you for grappling with the eldritch horrors. All your posters of Rocky and all those rewatchings that make you blubber like a child have prepared you for coming to fisticuffs with fell beasts. Channel your inner power, and deliver your fists of JUSTICE.

You dont need some pansy ass sword. And what do you look like, some kind of NERD? Wanna take the book, NERD? And a BOW? THAT'S a girl's head accessory, right?

Genon said:
Also @JayTee don't we need a quiver with arrows to use the bow? Or can we just conjure arrows?
Assume arrows come with the bow.

Genon said:
@JayTee
Actually, I just realized: We still have a car, right? If the battle is over, what's stopping us from just driving onto the battlefield and picking up everything we find? I doubt we'll have problems carrying everything. We can systematically carry stuff back to the car and go grab more stuff, right? We could get the bow, sword, and the book!
Well, I suppose technically you could, but I don't see a gas station around here anywhere and eventually you're going to run out of fuel for that car, so you'll have to carry everything you want sooner or later.

JayTee said:
Assume arrows come with the bow.
Well, I suppose technically you could, but I don't see a gas station around here anywhere and eventually you're going to run out of fuel for that car, so you'll have to carry everything you want sooner or later.
IT + Magic. Magitech car. Problem solved. :P

In more serious terms, it's pretty simple to carry. Quiver on left-hand side of belt, bow on back, book goes in the trunk (or in our pocket if it's small enough, you never specified how big it was and it'd be awkward to carry around anyway. I assume it came with a holder or a small bag for the wizard to carry it in, in which case carrying it is also easy), and sheathed sword on the right-hand side. Not that hard to see someone carry around, considering how much crap actual soldiers had to heft around. Besides, I'm fairly sure we have a laptop bag or something that we can put the book in if all else fails.

Killigrew said:
Our character, a calm thinker who makes measured decisions. I think this best fits him. Pew pew from afar, yey.
wow what a nerd

Genon said:
IT + Magic. Magitech car. Problem solved. :P
In more serious terms, it's pretty simple to carry. Quiver on left-hand side of belt, bow on back, book goes in the trunk (or in our pocket if it's small enough, you never specified how big it was and it'd be awkward to carry around anyway. I assume it came with a holder or a small bag for the wizard to carry it in, in which case carrying it is also easy), and sheathed sword on the right-hand side. Not that hard to see someone carry around, considering how much crap actual soldiers had to heft around. Besides, I'm fairly sure we have a laptop bag or something that we can put the book in if all else fails.
True, but your Str is kinda shit. Gotta travel light.

JayTee said:
True, but your Str is kinda shit. Gotta travel light.
The bow is probably made of wood, the arrows are light wood and feathers, and swords weigh only a few pounds. I'm talking between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds on average. For a longsword. I can't get any hard numbers on bow weight (google gives me draw weight figures instead, and the book I have on such things doesn't list the weight of the bow), given what they're made of it's likely they're pretty light.

At this point, the heaviest thing is probably that spellbook, and it's probably not much heavier than a coffee table reference book. I could probably carry that just fine, and I do zero exercise.

Genon, bruh, cool your jets. Our dood's in a hurry and he only has so many skill points.

Speaking of, does our dude have a name?

Fists weigh nothing at all, as they are a part of your body. You can drop a sword. You can stumble over words (if you LIKE READING. LIKE A NERD), and you can fumble with an arrow.

Just do the right thing, and PUNCH THE SHIT out of anything that gets in your way. Besides, having two free hands so you can pick up a coffee table and hurl it at a beastie or something also helps. Give em the ol' one-two-ELDRITCH SMACKDOWN. AAND ONE, and TWO THREE, FOUR FIVE, THEY'RE OUT! RULING CHAMPION NORMIE HUMAN REIGNS AGAIN. AND THE CROWD GOES WIIIIIIILLLLDDDDDD

Killigrew said:
Genon, bruh, cool your jets. Our dood's in a hurry and he only has so many skill points.
Speaking of, does our dude have a name?
I'd like to call him Norman.

Or in his native tongue, Norman McFistalot

simj22 said:
Fists weigh nothing at all, as they are a part of your body. You can drop a sword. You can stumble over words (if you LIKE READING. LIKE A NERD), and you can fumble with an arrow.
Just do the right thing, and PUNCH THE SHIT out of anything that gets in your way. Besides, having two free hands so you can pick up a coffee table and hurl it at a beastie or something also helps. Give em the ol' one-two-ELDRITCH SMACKDOWN. AAND ONE, and TWO THREE, FOUR FIVE, THEY'RE OUT! RULING CHAMPION NORMIE HUMAN REIGNS AGAIN. AND THE CROWD GOES WIIIIIIILLLLDDDDDD
Can I change my vote to second this?

This is revenge for all the shenanigans I pulled in your quest, isn't it? ( -_- ")

JayTee said:
This is revenge for all the shenanigans I pulled in your quest, isn't it? ( -_- ")

JayTee said:
"My name is PLAYER ONE."
"My name is Assface."

"My name is 'My Lord.'"

(If not those, then Lysander)
JayTee said:
"My name is mr skeltal" you say, dooting.
JayTee said:
"I am known as

."
JayTee said:
>Option three
"I want all the wealth, power and hoes. Ma'am."

I am not lying.
YES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back