• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

[Critique] A Baton

Cirno

Sleepwalking Fairy
Aiming for poetic economy. Serious critique welcome. Considering starting drabble blog, so be brutal.

81-Word Draft in First-Person

----​

The trail has climbed over rough boulders, slid down slick ones, wended its way through wood, and crossed muddy rivulets by felled tree. We're half-way there.

He worries, but I've done it one-handed before.

I take a step on a loamy patch and my ankle goes. I sink down.

He waits. Hands me water. "You should leave it," he says.

"Yeah. Someone else will carry it out." I take my father's hand.

I set the plastic coffee cup in a high crevice.

136-Word Draft in Second-Person

----​

There's Swallowtails and dragonflies, frogs and geckos. An empty plastic cup under the bushes.

You take it, part righteousness, part play.

He worries. You toss it between your hands to climb over rough boulders, slide down slick ones, wend your way through wood, and cross muddy rivulets by felled tree. You're half-way there.

You take a step on a loamy patch and your ankle goes. You sink down, your vision threatening to go static white. Your guts threaten to spill everything. That primal flight response. You breathe.

He waits five-hundred heartbeats. Hands you water. "You should leave it," he says.

"Yeah." Words come before thought. "Someone else will carry it out." You take your father's hand, though yours is grimy with sand and sweat. He holds tight.

An empty plastic cup sits in a high crevice.

It reads very nicely, but I'm having a hard time grasping exactly what is going on. Are they companion pieces or intended to be separate?

Grey said:
It reads very nicely, but I'm having a hard time grasping exactly what is going on. Are they companion pieces or intended to be separate?
I couldn't decide between first- or second-person. The second one reads stronger now that I've slept on it. First-person one reads like the narrator's empty-headed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back